Start by marking “Anatomy of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969-1989” as Want to Read:
Anatomy of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969-1989

Anatomy of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969-1989

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  465 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Although he is best known for his luminous reports from the farthest-flung corners of the earth, Bruce Chatwin possessed a literary sensibility that reached beyond the travel narrative to span a world of topics—from art and antiques to archaeology and architecture. This spirited collection of previously neglected or unpublished essays, articles, short stories, travel sketc ...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy of Restlessness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatomy of Restlessness

Jim
Oct 30, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
It is always fascinating to read the minor works of someone whose majo works one loves. After having finished Anatomy of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969-1989, I have only two more works of Bruce Chatwin to tackle: On the Black Hill and his collected letters, both of which I have on my shelves.

There are some things that draw me to Chatwin, and others that repel me. On the one hand, he had this mania for travel that has been part of my life after since I broke free of my parents; and, as a f
Emanuel
May 30, 2016 Emanuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bruce-chatwin
Tão bom este livro. Pena me ter deixado perplexo a determinada altura num ensaio crítico sobre a biografia de Robert Louis Stevenson, onde Chatwin a determinada altura afirma "Stevenson era um contador de histórias talentoso mas nunca foi de primeira água." Ou " Como é que um escritor tão obviamente de segunda chegou a gozar de tão grande reputação...", ou ainda " O que torna Stevenson interessante é a sua qualidade inferior." Belo ensaio que cai na merda por ser completamente minado por lugares ...more
Bloodorange
Jun 23, 2016 Bloodorange rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk, non-fiction
It left me lukewarm, compared to Chatwin's collected letters, which are more informative and consistently rather amusing.

The first section, Horreur du domicile, is OK; the second, Stories, quite unremarkable; the third, The Nomadic Alternative, quite redundant if you know the letters; Reviews - might be useful to some, but not many; and the final section, Art and the Image-breaker forms an interesting analysis of Chatwin's attitude to art, possessions, and nomadism.
Robert DeMayo
Oct 03, 2014 Robert DeMayo rated it it was amazing
During my heavy travel years I read Chatwin religiously. His stories brought me to places I'd never known of or even thought of going to, but made me see them with all the unique details he tended to collect. I thought I'd read everything when I stumbled upon Anatomy of Restlessness in a box in my storage bin. This collection may have seemed dull to a 20-something on the road, but as an older man with a tired body I have to say it's priceless.
Paul Blaney
Feb 28, 2015 Paul Blaney rated it really liked it
Fans of Chatwin will find all his usual subjects in this slim miscellany. Nomads and the art world, psychologizing and minimalist stories. Nothing new then, but lots to like--his prose style and his fearless manhandling of big, bold ideas in particular.

I enjoyed the final essay, The Morality of Things, and will likely enjoy it again when we come to move house in the next few months. The travel vignettes and the 'stories' are always rewarding. And I hadn't encountered some of his book reviews; t
Josie Shagwert
Apr 20, 2008 Josie Shagwert rated it it was amazing
These essays are maybe even a bit more developed than the ones in What Am I Doing Here? Really pleasurable to read.
Clinton Carter
Dec 19, 2007 Clinton Carter rated it it was amazing
Certainly the best title for a travel book.
Jason
Oct 30, 2009 Jason rated it it was amazing
Best intro to Chatwin's marvelous work.
Nikki
Oct 23, 2007 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
One of my favorite book titles EVER.
Cher
Jul 23, 2011 Cher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two words: editor needed.
Chiara
May 13, 2015 Chiara rated it really liked it
Shelves: chatwin
É stato il primo libro di Chatwin che ho letto, forse avrei dovuto iniziare con qualcos'altro, ma nonostante ciò mi ha fatto davvero una bella impressione.
Mi é piaciuto fin da subito a partire dal modo stupendo e curioso di come scrive ai vari racconti mistici e buffi delle sue avventure. Si é anche rivelato un attento osservatore e un buon critico senza troppi filtri. A volte dilungava abbastanza con argomenti un po' tirati ma non troppo, in sostanza mi é piaciuto abbastanza.
Oceana2602
Dec 18, 2009 Oceana2602 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, they certainly chose a catchy title...

This book is a collection of previously unpublished essays and other writings of Bruce Chatwin that was released after his death. I've said it before (and since I like to repeat myself, I'll probably say it agaiN): I really really loved Chatwin for a while. And I still like him very much. So yes, of course I'd buy this book, I mean, it's not like the man has written all that much. I'd be a fool not to read everything he wrote.

Personally, I read post-de
Emiliano Bussolo
Non mi ero mai deciso a leggere Chatwin perché con tutti i suoi viaggi e le sue patagonie pensavo si trattasse di lettura banale; poi, niente, ho preso in mano questo "Anatomia Dell'Irrequietezza" e - bang - fulminato. Bellissimo.
Andy
Mar 06, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
The strange, angelic Chatwin was the master craftsman of British writing in the 1980s. This odd selection shows both the depth and breadth of his work but is probably a better read for those who already know Chatwin's books: start with Songlines, On The Black Hill and Utz.
Kyle Miller
Sep 02, 2015 Kyle Miller rated it really liked it
Chatwin was a championship bullshitter. This is a collection of his half-truths, his confabulations, and his outright lies (and there's even some fiction in here, too!). Wonderful.
Aurora
con alcune punte magistrali.
in molte parti non l'ho capito, forse per come scrive Chatwin, forse perché pur amando l'idea del viaggio non sono abbastanza "folle" per poterlo concepire come "motivo di una vita".
se il viaggio è "evasione" allora lo sia per un determinato tempo e non come obiettivo di un'intera vita.
e forse è solo che sono irrequieta e quindi non riesco ad applicarmi a sufficienza.

jules verne non mi è mai piaciuto, essendo io convinto che il reale è sempre più fantastico del fanta

Ffiamma
Sep 25, 2015 Ffiamma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, ebook

"il viaggio non soltanto allarga la mente: le dà forma"
Elie
Sep 16, 2008 Elie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Chatwin fits the stereotype of the poncy English autodidact who preferred the world when it was still governed by Queen Victoria. That said, his non-fiction - in particular, his writing about nomads and wanderings - is observant and intelligent, the kind of thing to read while alone at a bar or a railroad station. His fiction, however, seems as if it was rescued from the scrapbook of his boarding school days, and is best ignored completely.
Pequete
Oct 28, 2014 Pequete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
É um livro heterogéneo, composto por relatos de viagens, ensaios sobre o nomadismo, críticas literárias... Gostei muitos de uns e pouco ou mais ou menos de outros mas no geral foi um livro que gostei de ler, o primeiro deste autor em que peguei, e me fez ficar com vontade de ler mais.
Lido através do BookCrossing (obrigada, cometa54!)
Nina
I really enjoyed the autobiographical essays and reviews, but even I could tell that the section on nomadism is just one giant [citation needed] disaster, and I don't even know all that much about nomads.
Adele
Sep 28, 2011 Adele rated it it was amazing
Bruce Chatwin's short stories are just magic. His sense of place and quiet but engrossing descriptions take you and place you in the rooms, walk you through the landscapes and at times take your breath away.
Winterwade
Nov 30, 2015 Winterwade rated it it was amazing
Chatwin is amongst the first rank of travel writers, and the contents of this book (albeit not all being travel-related, strictly speaking) attest to that status clearly.
Ted
Dec 19, 2007 Ted rated it liked it
Not my favorite collection of Chatwin's, but it has its gems. Notable are the treatises on nomads and walking, his specialty, in my mind.
RunRachelRun
Dec 17, 2008 RunRachelRun rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
As a child whose family wandered all over the world, the title just resonates.
Rob
Mar 23, 2009 Rob added it
beautiful pictures; shows chatwin's superb qaulities as photographer.
Paloma Etienne
Dec 20, 2012 Paloma Etienne rated it really liked it
Chatwin is restless. You'll want to shoot after this and take off
robxyz
Dottie
Sep 03, 2007 Dottie rated it really liked it
Chatwin's best IMO.
Giorgio Vacchiano
Giorgio Vacchiano marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
  • The Road to Oxiana
  • Journey to Armenia
  • The Total Library: Non-Fiction 1922-1986
  • Mani: Travels in the Southern Peloponnese
  • Personal Narrative of a Journey to the Equinoctial Regions of the New Continent
  • The Dragon Syndicates: The Global Phenomenon of the Triads
  • The Voices of Marrakesh: A Record of a Visit
  • Seven Tenths: The Sea and Its Thresholds
  • In Tasmania: Adventures at the End of the World
  • Reaching Up for Manhood: Transforming the Lives of Boys in America
  • The Second Plane: 14 Responses to September 11
  • Once and Future Myths: The Power of Ancient Stories in Modern Times
Charles Bruce Chatwin was an English novelist and travel writer. He won the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for his novel On the Black Hill (1982). In 1972, Chatwin interviewed the 93-year-old architect and designer Eileen Gray in her Paris salon, where he noticed a map of the area of South America called Patagonia, which she had painted. "I've always wanted to go there," Bruce told her. "So have ...more
More about Bruce Chatwin...

“[...] I will go to France, to Yugoslavia, to China and continue my profession.'
'As sanitary engineer?'
'No, Monsieur. As adventurer. I will see all the peoples and all the countries in the world.”
4 likes
“Gradually the idea for a book began to take shape. It was to be a wildly ambitious and intolerant work, a kind of 'Anatomy of Restlessness' that would enlarge on Pascal's dictum about the man sitting quietly in a room. The argument, roughly, was as follows: that in becoming human, man had acquired, together with his straight legs and striding walk, a migratory 'drive' or instinct to walk long distances through the seasons; that this 'drive' was inseparable from his central nervous system; and, that, when warped in conditions of settlement, it found outlets in violence, greed, status-seeking or a mania for the new. This would explain why mobile societies such as the gypsies were egalitarian, thing-free and resistant to change; also why, to re-establish the harmony of the First State, all the great teachers - Buddha, Lao-tse, St Francis - had set the perpetual pilgrimage at the heart of their message and told their disciples, literally, to follow The Way.” 3 likes