Start by marking “Sphinx” as Want to Read:
Sphinx

Sphinx

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,838 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
It was the magic and mystery of an empire long past that beautiful Erica Baron came to explore. Innocently she cast her eyes in forbidden places and discovered the clue to a treasure beyond imagination. It was then that terror overtook her, as the most fearful curse of the ancient world and the most savage menace of the modern one threatened to detroy her. One dangerously ...more
Published January 1st 1983 by Signet Book (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Sphinx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sphinx

Sarah ~
Oct 30, 2014 Sarah ~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية سريعة وخاطفة في أحداثها ومتقنة في كتابتها ، استمتعت بأجواء الآثار المصرية الموجود بينَ جنباتها ..وأحداثها التي تقع بمدينة القاهرة في السبعينات من القرن الماضي .
اريكا بارون عالمة مصريات تصل إلى القاهرة " بصفة سائحة " ومن القاهرة تبدأ مغامرتها المثيرة . وفي عالم الآثار الذي يتعاركُ الكثيرون لنيل جزءٍ منه ، فساد وسوق سوداء وأسرارٌ عائلية موغلة في القدم وألغازٌ لا يجرؤ أحد على سبر غورها أو الإقتراب منها ومحاولة حلها .
رغمَ كوني لا أطيق فكرة البطل المطلق "الأمريكي غالباً " ذلكَ البطل الذي يصل وي
Elizabeth Noah Astle
I have read other Robin Cook books that are all medical. This one has nothing to do with medicine.

This story is about Erica, an Egyptologist from Boston, who has traveled to Egypt as she has wanted to do for years and to get some time/space from Richard her boyfriend. On her first day there, she witnesses a murder, and sees a rare statue of Seti I. From then on, she meets a few people, Yvon and Ahmed, who claim that they want to help her as they are trying to stop the black market on antiquitie
Brian
May 09, 2014 Brian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps this was Robin Cook's thinking:

"Sphinx" = Egypt
"Sphinx" = riddle
"Riddle" = mystery
Sphinx = mystery in Egypt.

In any case, no sphinx figures into the plot of this novel, but it is an Egyptological mystery/thriller.

Young, beautiful Egyptologist Erica Baron, while on a sort of working vacation in Egypt, unexpectedly gets taken into the confidence of a black market antiquities dealer. The dealer shows her a fabulous statue of Seti I, a New Kingdom Pharaoh who ruled shortly after Tutankhamen,
Bev
May 26, 2014 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read a Robin Cook in a long time and this is quite different from the medical thrillers I have read by him. Erica Baron, an Egyptologist has longed to visit Egypt and, against the wishes of her almost fiance, she finally makes her trip, which results in more intrigue than anyone could have imagined, starting with a visit to an antique shop, where the proprietor is killed shortly after revealing to her secrets of the black market trade. The book continues with tours through various tombs ...more
Roberta
Apr 05, 2014 Roberta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutto-cook
I read almost all the books of Robin Cook and this is the one I like less. The plot is fine, characters are fine, the book is just that: fine.
A young, beautiful american girl with a doctorate in egyptology finally has the chance to travel to this country. If she were an Italian tourist she would have had food, a romance and some horrible souvenirs; if she were German, a sunburn; but no, she's American, so she witness a murder the very first day of her touring. Obviously she doesn't report it to
Nikhil Singh
Oct 31, 2011 Nikhil Singh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving away from his forte ( medical thrillers ), I think robin cook has done a great job in writing a novel that encompasses history ( ancient Egypt ) and the current situation in Egypt. Also, I love the character of Erica. She is beautiful, smart and is damn good at what she does.

All in all, if you are a robin cook fan, you must read this book. It will give you a different angle of his writing capabilities.
Zoltán
Jun 28, 2014 Zoltán rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Édesanyám ajánlására néztem meg sok-sok évvel ezelőtt a regény alapján készített filmet. Ha jól emlékszem, akkortájt még csak vágyakoztam Egyiptomba (ha valaki akkor azt mondja, hogy nemcsak eljutok a Nílus völgyébe, de saját ásatást is vezethetek ott, azt simán lehülyézem), és az eredeti helyszíneken forgatott jelenetek, a hamisítatlan egyiptomi couleur locale szinte azonnal rabul ejtett. Hosszú ideig pontosan ez a kellemes emlék tartott vissza attól, hogy magát a regényt is a kezembe vegyem. M ...more
Hannah
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

Page turning beach fare. Still pretty entertaining after 35 years, although the late 1970's/early 80's *feel* creeps up now and again.
Kim Geiger
Jun 05, 2009 Kim Geiger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book a long time ago. However, loved it so much I searched a while to find the title. Egypt and mystery.......it was a fabulous read! Would like to read it again.
Richard Karns
Feb 02, 2011 Richard Karns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although far-fetched at times I still found this an enjoyable read. Being a history nut anyway I really enjoyed some of the archeological aspects of the storyline.
Tom
Nov 02, 2009 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erica Baron, a young Egyptologist, travels to Egypt to learn more about her specialty, and to get some space from her fiance, who is trying to take control of her life. On her first day in Cairo, she is befriended by an antiquities dealer, and is shown a priceless golden statue of Seti I. A few minutes later the antiquities dealer is murdered while Erica hides, and the statue is stolen. She encounters Yvon Margeau, a sexy Frenchman who tells Erica he wants to gain control of the black market in ...more
Kim
Nov 05, 2010 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed. Just got interested again in ancient Egypt and wanted to read a good novel. Halfway through and sensing a familiarity to the storyline I realized I had seen the movie version from the 80's with Leslie-Anne Down. The movie follows the novel fairly well. The sights, sounds, smells and pageantry of the ancient world comes alive and you find yourself wishing for a window into that amazing world. The black market of ancient artifacts, murder, intrigue and romance are all a part of this story ...more
Joja5
Oct 13, 2014 Joja5 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a light read- like a John Grisham book. I read this first when I was a lot younger. My impression of the way it's written has changed and I feel would enjoy it more without the romantic side plot. But I still love the main plot and enjoy the imagery. I've always been intrigued by Egyptian ancient history and this book transports me to Egypt, a place I would love to visit someday.
Tom Burkhalter
This book made me yearn to be an editor. My fingers simply itched for the red pen. Erica, the main character, is a typical Midwestern girl with a doctorate in Egyptology, not really made of stern stuff -- yet when she is confronted by two brutal murders in less than two days, instead of falling apart (I think I would have, if I'd watched a man bent over a counter as his throat was cut) she stays in Egypt to go after the black-marketeers in the Egyptian antiquities trade.

Didn't find it particular
Susanna
Nojoo. Täytyy antaa vähän armoa, tämä on sentään kirjoitettu jo reilusti yli 30 vuotta sitten... Oli jokatapauksessa positiivinen yllätys lukea Cookilta jotain muutakin kuin niitä lääketieteellisiä dekkareita, jotka toistavat toinen toistaan. Viihdyin tämän vanhan kirjan parissa siis yllättävänkin hyvin ja mahtui sinne yllätyksiäkin matkaan, joten ei mennyt ihan läpihuutojutuksi tämä.
Buckeye_reader
I have read all of the Jack/Laurie books as well as a handful of his newer ones. I went back and was reading his older ones. For the first 100 or so pages, I was waiting to see how it would turn into a medical related story - but it never did! No problem, just the only book I have read by him so far that did not have a medical related theme. Not a bad story.
Mareli Thalwitzer
Jan 11, 2016 Mareli Thalwitzer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iriver-epub
I love Robin Cook. Especially if you are just looking for a quick read (Sunday afternoon, want to finish the damn book in one sitting). His novels always keeps me intrigued, but THIS - this was the biggest load of crap I've read in years. AND I finished it.... But I guess that is how we grow. Three years later it doesn't bother me as much to just put a book down, leave both of us in peace and just read the next one!
Adam Wilson
Sphinx is my second-favorite Cook novel as of May 2011. I have only read four of them so far though. This one is a bit more memorable than the others because of the massive amount of info about Egyptian culture that the book contains. It is a firm thriller and it lives up to its genre well with mysterious characters, betrayals, ancient evils and secrets, and a protagonist getting involved in something bigger than she could have ever thought possible when she went to Egypt. It is one of the best ...more
أوراق
رواية تتسم بالغموض حتى النهاية التي تدهشنا حين تتضح الحقائق ..
حبكتها مميزة وتتصاعد وتيرة الأحداث محافظة على التشويق حتى النهاية حين نصدم بحقيقة البعض كأحمد خزان الذي اتضح أنه قريب قتلة عبدول!
جيدة لمحبي الآثار والمقابر :P
Lloyd
Sep 27, 2010 Lloyd rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-cook, 1970s
Here, we learn that Robin Cook writes something besides medical thrillers, but that it might be better if he stuck to the medical thrillers...

The book follows Egyptologist Erica Baron into a world of intrigue, black market schemes, and murder as she seeks out the mysteries of Egypt and becomes entangled in a series of sinister dealings surrounding a statue of Pharoah Seti I.

Cook tries again and again to weave suspense around his characters, but this one left me wanting for the excitement of the
Lan
Aug 03, 2015 Lan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Robin Cook novel. I thought it's just average. The characterisation was so boring. The story is fast paced but not exciting enough. I ll anyway check out his other books as he is popular for his medical thrillers.
Lily C
Apr 01, 2014 Lily C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated, this wouldn't have been a problem if the current day action had been dated to time the book was written (1980). Really 2 1/2 stars Ok story, nothing unexpected.
Firefly_1824
This is the only Robin Cook I've read, but I was rather impressed with the research and plot complexity. The characters were also well done, and the pacing was good.
Doris Pearson
Jul 24, 2014 Doris Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read Robin Cook but this one was recommended by library and am glad they suggested it. Fantastic! I love stories about Egypt and this one is superb!
Lost Library
Book Haiku:

Egyptologist

Enthralled by missing statue

Unearths mystery

See full review here
Kavita Ramesh
Aug 13, 2015 Kavita Ramesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got me hungry for books written on Egypt. I loved it, and loved it more on re-reading it. A great thriller of a read.
Serene Costello
Sep 24, 2015 Serene Costello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little bit to get into it but once it started I did not want to put it down. It was great!
Linda Kruse
Jul 23, 2015 Linda Kruse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very old Robin Cook novel. I believe it is his only non medical book. Excellent.
Frank
Jul 07, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one several years ago and remember it to be a pretty good thriller.
Deby Depreta
Predictable, yet far-fetched. Not one of Robin Cook's finest novels.
sphinx by robin cook 2 18 Apr 20, 2011 10:50AM
sphinx by robin cook 1 7 Feb 06, 2010 06:53AM
  • Side Effects
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Reflections in the Nile (Time Travel, #1)
  • Erken mij
  • Name of the Beast
  • Afgunst
  • The Slayers of Seth (Amerotke, #4)
  • Flawless
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • Vaippaihottuma (Juoppohullun päiväkirja, #4)
  • Rage Therapy
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...