Sphinx

Sphinx

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  2,259 ratings  ·  104 reviews
It was the magic and mystery of an empire long past that beautiful Erica Baron came to explore. Innocently she cast her eyes in forbidden places and discovered the clue to a treasure beyond imagination. It was then that terror overtook her, as the most fearful curse of the ancient world and the most savage menace of the modern one threatened to detroy her. One dangerously...more
Published January 1st 1983 by Signet Book (first published 1979)

Elizabeth Noah Astle
I have read other Robin Cook books that are all medical. This one has nothing to do with medicine.

This story is about Erica, an Egyptologist from Boston, who has traveled to Egypt as she has wanted to do for years and to get some time/space from Richard her boyfriend. On her first day there, she witnesses a murder, and sees a rare statue of Seti I. From then on, she meets a few people, Yvon and Ahmed, who claim that they want to help her as they are trying to stop the black market on antiquitie...more
Bev
I hadn't read a Robin Cook in a long time and this is quite different from the medical thrillers I have read by him. Erica Baron, an Egyptologist has longed to visit Egypt and, against the wishes of her almost fiance, she finally makes her trip, which results in more intrigue than anyone could have imagined, starting with a visit to an antique shop, where the proprietor is killed shortly after revealing to her secrets of the black market trade. The book continues with tours through various tombs...more
Brian
Perhaps this was Robin Cook's thinking:

"Sphinx" = Egypt
"Sphinx" = riddle
"Riddle" = mystery
Sphinx = mystery in Egypt.

In any case, no sphinx figures into the plot of this novel, but it is an Egyptological mystery/thriller.

Young, beautiful Egyptologist Erica Baron, while on a sort of working vacation in Egypt, unexpectedly gets taken into the confidence of a black market antiquities dealer. The dealer shows her a fabulous statue of Seti I, a New Kingdom Pharaoh who ruled shortly after Tutankhamen,...more
Roberta
I read almost all the books of Robin Cook and this is the one I like less. The plot is fine, characters are fine, the book is just that: fine.
A young, beautiful american girl with a doctorate in egyptology finally has the chance to travel to this country. If she were an Italian tourist she would have had food, a romance and some horrible souvenirs; if she were German, a sunburn; but no, she's American, so she witness a murder the very first day of her touring. Obviously she doesn't report it to...more
Nikhil Singh
Moving away from his forte ( medical thrillers ), I think robin cook has done a great job in writing a novel that encompasses history ( ancient Egypt ) and the current situation in Egypt. Also, I love the character of Erica. She is beautiful, smart and is damn good at what she does.

All in all, if you are a robin cook fan, you must read this book. It will give you a different angle of his writing capabilities.
Zoltán
Édesanyám ajánlására néztem meg sok-sok évvel ezelőtt a regény alapján készített filmet. Ha jól emlékszem, akkortájt még csak vágyakoztam Egyiptomba (ha valaki akkor azt mondja, hogy nemcsak eljutok a Nílus völgyébe, de saját ásatást is vezethetek ott, azt simán lehülyézem), és az eredeti helyszíneken forgatott jelenetek, a hamisítatlan egyiptomi couleur locale szinte azonnal rabul ejtett. Hosszú ideig pontosan ez a kellemes emlék tartott vissza attól, hogy magát a regényt is a kezembe vegyem. M...more
Deemah Al-Otaibi
راااااائعه , الحقيقه أنها لا تقل عن روايات دان براون روعه من حيث تسارع الاحداث ومفاجئاتها ..
قرتها السنه المضيه وقضيت معها وقتا ممتعا !!
تمنيت لو انه تم اصدارها كفيلم .. !!

روايه مليئه بالاسرار والغموض و أشياء كثيرة نجهلها عن عالم الفراعنه !

افكر في قرائتها من جديد ..
Kim Geiger
Read this book a long time ago. However, loved it so much I searched a while to find the title. Egypt and mystery.......it was a fabulous read! Would like to read it again.
Richard Karns
Although far-fetched at times I still found this an enjoyable read. Being a history nut anyway I really enjoyed some of the archeological aspects of the storyline.
Tom
Erica Baron, a young Egyptologist, travels to Egypt to learn more about her specialty, and to get some space from her fiance, who is trying to take control of her life. On her first day in Cairo, she is befriended by an antiquities dealer, and is shown a priceless golden statue of Seti I. A few minutes later the antiquities dealer is murdered while Erica hides, and the statue is stolen. She encounters Yvon Margeau, a sexy Frenchman who tells Erica he wants to gain control of the black market in...more
Kim
Enjoyed. Just got interested again in ancient Egypt and wanted to read a good novel. Halfway through and sensing a familiarity to the storyline I realized I had seen the movie version from the 80's with Leslie-Anne Down. The movie follows the novel fairly well. The sights, sounds, smells and pageantry of the ancient world comes alive and you find yourself wishing for a window into that amazing world. The black market of ancient artifacts, murder, intrigue and romance are all a part of this story...more
Tom Burkhalter
This book made me yearn to be an editor. My fingers simply itched for the red pen. Erica, the main character, is a typical Midwestern girl with a doctorate in Egyptology, not really made of stern stuff -- yet when she is confronted by two brutal murders in less than two days, instead of falling apart (I think I would have, if I'd watched a man bent over a counter as his throat was cut) she stays in Egypt to go after the black-marketeers in the Egyptian antiquities trade.

Didn't find it particular...more
Buckeye_reader
I have read all of the Jack/Laurie books as well as a handful of his newer ones. I went back and was reading his older ones. For the first 100 or so pages, I was waiting to see how it would turn into a medical related story - but it never did! No problem, just the only book I have read by him so far that did not have a medical related theme. Not a bad story.
Adam Wilson
Sphinx is my second-favorite Cook novel as of May 2011. I have only read four of them so far though. This one is a bit more memorable than the others because of the massive amount of info about Egyptian culture that the book contains. It is a firm thriller and it lives up to its genre well with mysterious characters, betrayals, ancient evils and secrets, and a protagonist getting involved in something bigger than she could have ever thought possible when she went to Egypt. It is one of the best...more
Lloyd
Here, we learn that Robin Cook writes something besides medical thrillers, but that it might be better if he stuck to the medical thrillers...

The book follows Egyptologist Erica Baron into a world of intrigue, black market schemes, and murder as she seeks out the mysteries of Egypt and becomes entangled in a series of sinister dealings surrounding a statue of Pharoah Seti I.

Cook tries again and again to weave suspense around his characters, but this one left me wanting for the excitement of the...more
Lily C
A bit dated, this wouldn't have been a problem if the current day action had been dated to time the book was written (1980). Really 2 1/2 stars Ok story, nothing unexpected.
Doris Pearson
I don't usually read Robin Cook but this one was recommended by library and am glad they suggested it. Fantastic! I love stories about Egypt and this one is superb!
Beccs
The book was amazing, and the end unexpected ,It kept me reading until i finished it.
I have to say that the descrition of Egypt and all the places Erica visits are relly great as the author makes you to feel like you were right there !
Anyway, i didn´t like the personality of the main character, for my she is just a selfish,unprincipled girl who thinks herself to be cleverer than anybody else .Attitude that leds her to more than one problem.
Jami Leigh
Plot: 2 stars
Characters:1 1/2 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 3 stars

The only good thing I can REALLY say about this book is that it wasn't too long. Erica, while presented as being a strong, independent woman, constantly crumples when men tell her what to do. The style is also NOT what I expected from his other works I've read. Stilted and bland, with only little bits that evoke the majesty and mystery that Egypt should.
Vicki
I gave this novel four stars because I enjoy reading books with a touch of archeology in them. Unlike the typical light medical thriller that Cook usually wrote, this is a classic tale of skullduggery amidst ancient relics and tombs in Egypt. Certain to pique the interest of treasure hunters searching for ancient Pharaoh burials that may still lie untouched, this quick read will let you do the digging vicariously.
Vicki G
This character isn't like people I work w/; how could she be, she's an Egyptologist and I work w/ doctors of Emergency Medicine, Cardiologists and Emergency Surgery surgeons.
This book was interesting. I love when he writes about situations that he researches, like the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 in Acceptable Risk, and the discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb in this book.
Kim
Fast paced, enjoyable read. 4 stars is a bit too much...I'd give it a 3 and a half. The main protagonist seems to lack basic survival skills and not learn from her mistakes. It is also interesting reading a book from this period, the late seventies, and seeing how much attitudes to women have changed....how far we have come in such a short time.
Melber
Woke up on Sunday thinking that I hadn't read Robin Cook's the "Sphinx" in 25 years so I got it from the library. I knew more about Egyptian history this go around so recognized more of the rulers and enjoyed more of the history. Wish Erica Baron (the title character) was stronger, but given when the book was written, I understand.
Jane
I adore escapist novels either set in or dealing with Ancient Egypt, and as such I forced myself to read this whole thing, thinking that something good might at least happen in the plot, even though the writing was terrible and the characters utterly ridiculous. In the end, even the plot was horrible. Don't waste your time!
Shokarokagoogie
Maybe the author's only non medical thriller. Still a winner.
Ashwini
The premise was good. Biggest flaw was the poor characterization. It was implausible how a man could leave his fiancee alone when she is faced with such adversities. Richard was an unnecessary character and served no purpose. But its a definite treat for those who love all things Egypt.
Swathika
I read this when I was in first year of college doing my architecture. The timing was perfect. We were learning about Egypt and pyramids. I was able to finally feel the heat, touch the pyramid and know how it is to be in Egypt! I remember the sand storm everytime I think of this book.
Karen
This was not one of Cook's best. The story line did not hold up very well; too many things were just outright implausible, and the main character was frankly not all that likeable. She said and did things more to move the plot forward than because they would be in her character.
Kimberly Fleming
My first Robin Cook novel ever. Unfortunately all his others have paled in comparison but that might just be because this was so new to me at the time I read it (about ten years ago). I love all things ancient Egyptian and so I enjoyed that aspect immensely.
Rachel
Was a good book until the end. Really suspenseful kept me excited and reading to the end. But I guess the climax never really came. I was dissatisfied with the ending. I thought the secret would be revealed. But fizzle pop it just went out with no closure.
sphinx by robin cook 2 15 Apr 20, 2011 10:50AM
sphinx by robin cook 1 6 Feb 06, 2010 06:53AM
  • Side Effects
  • Cold Plague
  • The Black Shrike
  • In the Hour Before Midnight
  • Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • Implant
  • Gremlins
  • Flawless
  • The Slayers of Seth (Amerotke, #4)
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion