Start by marking “The Body Lovers” as Want to Read:
The Body Lovers

The Body Lovers (Mike Hammer #10)

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This murder mystery takes place in New York City, where Hammer must smash an underground cult that rewards its money-loving members with murder.
Published September 30th 1967 by Signet Book (first published September 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Body Lovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body Lovers

F.R.
Feb 24, 2015 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So after Mike Hammer does Agatha Christie (in the previous volume ‘The Twisted Thing’), we return most definitely to Mike Hammer does Mike Hammer. ‘The Body Lovers’ is the classic formula. Hammer is out on the streets on New York one night when he stumbles across the corpse of a beautiful woman (as one often does). He and Velda start to investigate what becomes an increasingly brutal series of crimes, before the dreadful conspiracy is revealed.

Seasoned Hammer watchers will, as usual, be able to
Steve Isaak
Jun 07, 2013 Steve Isaak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explosive, slick, and chock full of sex and violence like most of Spillane's other works, Body Lovers highlights Spillane's familiar ultra-nationalistic bent, as well as his take-few-prisoners attitude.

If you can get past Spillane's hatred of foreign influences (this time embodied by U.N. ambassadors), this is a welcome blast of a read, all thriller and no filler, an approach more modern authors should take to heart.

Worth owning, this.

(This review originally appeared on the Reading & Writing
Paul
Nov 29, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I've tried to read Mickey Spillane before but I didn't like the two books I picked up. I made it about halfway through The Long Wait and a fourth of the way through The Delta Factor. I thought I'd give Spillane another chance, though. He is one of the bestselling authors ever, after all, so some of his books had to be good. I thought I'd try a Mike Hammer book, since Mike Hammer is Spillane's most famous character.

I actually really liked The Body Lovers. It's a story with quite a few twists and
Brendan LeFebvre
Jul 21, 2010 Brendan LeFebvre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tenth Mike Hammer novel features the private eye in top form as one of the most vile good guys pop culture has ever seen. With the usual entertaining stew of politico-thug caricature, femmes fatales, and brutal violence against the backdrop of NYC & surrounding environs.
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*
This is my first introduction to Mike Hammer. I actually liked him, despite some of his narrow minded views and set-in-stone mindsets about political issues. Rather than being annoying, I found it amusing and appreciated the author's right-wing bend.

He was a stereotypical man's man - good with the ladies, always a step ahead of the police, sharp and insightful, tough...you know the type, I'm sure.

There isn't a big mystery on who is behind everything since there are only so many possibilities, bu
Markku Kesti
Perus Mike Hammeria, iskee kuin vasara (har har). Nuorempana tykkäsin enemmän sarjasta, mutta nyt dekkari joka on rikoksen tutkija, syyttäjä ja tuomari on jo liian paksua kauraa. Plus sekin, että kirjailija on poliittiselta mielipiteeltään jossain hunni Attilasta oikealle. Mutta tarina kulkee näissä kuin pikajuna ja ymmärrän kyllä miksi nämä olivat aikansa myydyimpiä lajissaan.
Baldurian
Apr 02, 2014 Baldurian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giallo, narrativa
Uno Spillane un po' annacquato quello de Il club del vizio. L'indagine si dipana un po' troppo lenta e noiosetta, nonostante un inizio pauroso (urla di bambino e cadavere seminudo di donna uccisa a frustate, ed eravamo a pagina 4) e un finale letteralmente al fulmicotone. Un protagonista come Mike Hammer non si può sprecare così, peccato.
Adam
Sep 07, 2015 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a slow start. The last chapter was the best.
Jeff
Mickey Spillane is always a good read, but by 1968 he was seeming like a bit of a relic of a bygone age. The crime might have changed by Mike Hammer's techniques haven't. He's not a real cop so he doesn't haven't to take prisoners.
Christopher Roth
I'd never read a Mickey Spillane before, and now I'm glad I have, though I doubt I'll read any more.
Dfordoom
Apr 05, 2008 Dfordoom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Badly written and very distasteful. Unpleasantly fascist and hateful. Horrible book.
Larry
Larry rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
D. B.
D. B. marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Eugene Shchennikov
Eugene Shchennikov rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Arto
Arto rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2015
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Shawn Evans
Shawn Evans marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
AndrewP
AndrewP rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Christian Stanton
Christian Stanton rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Patrick Brennan
Patrick Brennan rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
3.141
3.141 marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Jackie Cook
Jackie Cook marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Torbjörn Dahl
Torbjörn Dahl rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Karla S. Holt
Karla S. Holt rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Damned
  • Dead Calm
  • Cassidy's Girl
  • The Cornell Woolrich Omnibus: Rear Window and Other Stories / I Married a Dead Man / Waltz into Darkness
  • The Sour Lemon Score (Parker, #12)
  • Mardi Gras Mambo (Scotty Bradley, #3)
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties (Hard Case Crime, #62)
  • Rain Dogs
  • Little Caesar
  • Love's Lovely Counterfeit
  • Heed the Thunder
  • Scarface
Mickey Spillane was one of the world's most popular mystery writers. His specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers who launder money or spout the Communist Party line.

His writing style was characterized by short words, lightning transitions, gruff sex and violent endings. It was once tallied that he offed 58 peop
More about Mickey Spillane...

Mike Hammer (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • I, the Jury  (Mike Hammer,  #1)
  • My Gun Is Quick
  • Vengeance Is Mine  (Mike Hammer, #3)
  • One Lonely Night