Start by marking “Healing in His Wings (Healing #1)” as Want to Read:
Healing in His Wings (Healing #1)

Healing in His Wings (Healing #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  308 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
When the Starfire is struck by a mysterious and deadly plague, the captain and crew have no choice but to throw themselves on the mercy of the healers of a nearby, uncharted planet. First Officer Ryan Nelson accompanies the sickest patients to the planet's surface, where he is put under the supervision of Juo-ta-ri, an apprentice to one of the healers who is helping the cr ...more
Published April 28th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published October 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Healing in His Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing in His Wings

My Fair Captain by J.L. LangleyThe Englor Affair by J.L. LangleyBroken Boundaries by Evangeline AndersonAn Uncommon Whore by Belinda McBrideClaimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts by Lyn Gala
Best Gay Spacemen
32nd out of 203 books — 335 voters
My Fair Captain by J.L. LangleyDark Space by Lisa HenryThe Englor Affair by J.L. LangleyGravitational Attraction by Angel MartinezEvenfall by Santino Hassell
Best Gay Science Fiction Romance
72nd out of 333 books — 560 voters

More lists with this book...

Angel Martinez
Jan 19, 2014 Angel Martinez rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-sf
I wanted to like this, I really did... and in some respects it was a lovely story. I truly enjoy Ariel's characters, love her historical work, so I was excited to see an SFR from her.

I just wish there had been more SF. The initial premise is so intriguing - an alien race with medically gifted wings - that I was looking forward to some solid world building, some serious culture clashes, some intersting differences in anatomy. It never quite panned out. There really wasn't a wide divergence from E
Mary
May 25, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
I read this in the Size Matters Anthology and it is amazing. The kindness of Juo, the acceptance of Ryan, these two men are breathtaking together.
M'rella
Please, do not read this if you are Ariel Tachna. I have nothing against you, I don't even have anything against this book, it's just not my cup of parberry juice. I simply feel a strong urge to share my feeling about a book that took me less time to read than to write this review.

****

Spoiler alert, sorta:
I can say this whole review is one big spoiler, but the book is damn predictable, the first chapter of the story spoils it for you without me even trying.

****

A crew of spacers - not dental spac
Charly
Oct 15, 2012 Charly rated it liked it
I liked the idea a lot, but I found the writing difficult to follow

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 6/10

PROS:
- I like reading about the alien races and unusual planets and gadgets and such that sci fi and fantasy authors come up with. Particularly interesting to me was the concept of a humanoid race with wings. Tachna does a good job of thinking about how wings would affect a person: Juo wonders, for example, how Ryan manages to balance without them
Wendy Ann
Feb 05, 2011 Wendy Ann rated it really liked it
The premise of this book was very interesting - future space travel where the crew of the spaceship contract a deadly plague and connect with aliens on another planet (winged, human-like beings) who can help them overcome the disease. Due to the relatively short length of the story, it wasn't possible to develop the alien world and story as deeply as I would have loved to see, but it still made for an interesting premise.

There really wasn't a lot of angst to deal with between the main character
Cole Riann
I've meant to read this for a long time now, and lately I've been on a SF kick, especially an interspecies union kick, so I thought I'd pull this one out. Though the writing is solid, it wasn't much for me. There's very little little world building and the aliens weren't very alien, just humans with wings. What I like about the alien/human pairing in these stories is working through the differences, the culture shock, the alien world... whatever it is as long as it is actually alien.

The romance
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
3.5 Beuatiful Stars

After reading this book I find, I've got a thing for men with wings~

What is not to love of Juo-ta-ri's wings, they move with feeling, they touch, they have power, they change with his mood and OMG, they were HAWT!

Ryan and Juo-ta-ri, sigh... this is one of the most beautifully written romances, I have read this year, what a treasure to find and I so enjoy these two, they were tender, hot as all get out and this was a romance to remember

My only problem with this book is that i
❣✐❃ Michaelle - WTF is this sh!t GR?? ❃✐❣
3 Stars

Overly wordy, bordering on purple prose; I don't mind a well-placed "three-dollar college word" but OMG too many of them and it breaks the pacing...felt like slogging along. Plus, the dreaded over use of pronoun/proper name replacements. If this weren't written in a weirdly off omniscient POV that wouldn't be a problem. Never really got a feel for the characters or their personalities other than how it related to their jobs.

Rounded up really with an additional .5 star for the inventive of
Bkrdr
Nov 04, 2013 Bkrdr rated it did not like it
Rated 1.5 stars. Disappointed in this story, nothing new or different with the aliens or storyline.
Yte
Feb 04, 2012 Yte rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
Dropped. Infantile crap. No more Ariel Tachna for me.
Tam
Sep 27, 2012 Tam rated it really liked it
I had been curious about Juo and his people after reading Hot Cargo years ago, as the two guys ended up on the avian planet. This is the story of Nelson (first name Ryan) who is first officer on an exploration ship. A plague has taken over their ship and people are dying when they come across a planet. They ask for help and it is offered, but Nelson goes down to the planet to supervise the process and act as liaison. He's forced to room with junior healer Juo and they begin a dance around their ...more
Red
May 23, 2012 Red rated it liked it
A very good romance novel. I didn't think I would like this genre but tried it because of the space theme. I really enjoyed it. The characters were one-dimensional aside from the main character, Ryan's 3 year old struggle to let go of a lost love which he didn't seem to have that big of a struggle with now that he has met someone that truely interests him. The story could use more conflict. But really it's not the conflict anyone's looking for in these cheap romance novels. The love scenes are r ...more
Kerry
Jul 18, 2013 Kerry rated it liked it

My main reason for reading this novella was that I was dying to read Hot Cargo, and I really like to read books in order if possible. This story was fine, but it really suffered from the short length. I didn't feel the connection between Juo and Ryan because everything was so rushed. I did like both MCs though, and I look forward to seeing them in Hot Cargo, which I have just started.
Omega696
Sweet story with not much angst despite circumstances in which the main characters met.
Cheryl
Oct 06, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
a beautiful little story about 2 men from different cultures.
Robin L
The best part was during the one mc's dreams. *sigh*.
Rod Burkett
Mar 08, 2013 Rod Burkett rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story development and leading characters very much. Although set in the distant future, the story used basic human needs as its foundation. I appreciated the author's development of sexual tension as the characters became acquainted rather than making sex the focus of the story. I would likely have given a fifth star had the book been longer.
Jess
Nov 12, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it
This story didnt really have the kinky wing shmex that I was after. What it did have was a surprising romantic story. It was a beautiful story that was not only cute but it was touching as well.

There was no shmex till the last 20% of the novel. But the story is so lovely that you will not miss it.

I think Bubbles and HC would like this one.
Tara
Jun 13, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
This was a sweet story. I had unfortunately read the second book in this series first so there weren't many surprises and even without that, it was a little predictable. Not a bad read overall.
Tailtiu
Jul 20, 2012 Tailtiu rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
Sadonna
Sep 06, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm
Interesting short story about space travel, lost love, healing and new love. Sweet and hopeful and loving sentiments in this one. I need to read the sequel!
Jacq
Sep 25, 2014 Jacq rated it really liked it
The was a very pleasant love story. Full of character the chemistry between Juo-ta and Ryan works well. I love the book where the wings went I went.
Pamela Su
Nov 13, 2013 Pamela Su rated it liked it
A sweet and relaxing snack.

This had an interesting premise. I found the story rather sweet but there wasn't enough going on to make it stand out.
Bookbee
3.5 STARS

Lovely story but would have liked a bit more 'differences' between two alien species.
Lisa Brick
This was just 'eh' for me. It was a bit too short.
Marsha Spence
Feb 01, 2014 Marsha Spence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
These guys were so loving together. Beautiful story!
Elf
Apr 08, 2010 Elf rated it really liked it
Reprint; rating based on Anthology version.
Logan
Nov 28, 2011 Logan rated it really liked it
A short little, perfectly sweet romance.
Veronica /  V
Feb 25, 2013 Veronica / V rated it liked it
Very sweet and pleasant story.
Marisa
Nov 09, 2011 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Absolutely fantastic!
  • Hot Cargo (Healing #2)
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Balancing Karma
  • Treacherous Sun (Nu Hayven Chronicles, #1)
  • Caging the Beast (Creations #4)
  • Alien 'n' Outlaw (Galactic Alliance #2)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Off World (Off World, #1)
  • A Solid Core of Alpha
  • Wild Passions
  • Myths and Magic: Legends of Love
  • Making Contact
  • The Nourisher (Border Worlds Saga, #1)
  • All Wrapped Up
  • The Experiment  (Saving Caeorleia, #1)
  • Outcast Mine
  • Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3)
  • Bonding (Himiko, #1)
Ariel Tachna lives outside of Houston with her husband, her daughter and son, and their cat. Before moving there, she traveled all over the world, having fallen in love with both France, where she found her husband, and India, where she dreams of retiring some day. She’s bilingual with snippets of four other languages to her credit, and is as in love with languages as she is with writing.

Visit Ari
More about Ariel Tachna...

Healing (4 books)
  • Size Matters: Short Stories Long Enough to Satisfy (includes: Healing #1)
  • Hot Cargo (Healing #2)
  • Something About Harry (Healing #3)