Start by marking “Old Jews Telling Jokes: 5,000 Years of Funny Bits and Not-So-Kosher Laughs” as Want to Read:
Old Jews Telling Jokes: 5,000 Years of Funny Bits and Not-So-Kosher Laughs

Old Jews Telling Jokes: 5,000 Years of Funny Bits and Not-So-Kosher Laughs

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A grasshopper walked into a bar and ordered a drink.
The bartender looked at him and said, “You know we have a drink named after you?”
The grasshopper replied, “You have a drink named Stanley?”

Schtick happens. For five thousand years, God’s chosen people have cornered the market on knee-slappers, zingers, and knock-knock jokes. Now Old Jews Telling Jokes mines mothers, fathe
Published September 7th 2010 by Villard (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Old Jews Telling Jokes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Jews Telling Jokes

James Klagge
The first book of/about humor that made me laugh aloud several times. Many of the jokes require knowledge of Jewish culture, and many more are off-color. Still...a fine collection. A few examples:
p. 15: A Jewish mother gives her son two ties on the first night of Hanukkah. The following morning, when he comes down to breakfast, he is wearing one of them. The mom says: "What's the matter--you didn't like the other one?"
p. 189: A guy walks into a psychiatrist's office and says to the secretary, "I
Harold Citron
In the Big Book of Jewish Humor, there is a saying:

"They say that when you tell a joke to a peasant, he laughs three times. Once, when you tell the joke, again when you explain it, and yet again when he understands it for peasants love to laugh.

When you tell a joke to a landowner, he laughs twice - once when you tell him the joke, and again when you explain it, for he never really understands it.

When you tell a joke to an army officer, he laughs only once - when you tell it. He never lets you
Joseph
Jul 11, 2014 Joseph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
When she was a little girl, my grandmother Esther Ruth emigrated from Russia, escaping pogroms with her family, and settling in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She learned English anyway she could, even picking up gum wrappers off the street to read them.

In her late eighties, she moved into a house on her son’s property, and I had the privilege of living with her for two years. We went to synagogue together (sometimes), read the Psalms together (a lot), and ate her potato pancakes together (too oft
Shelley Rose
I listened to this on CDs more than once. That should tell you something! Jokes range from corny to classic, lots of laughter guaranteed. Nicely grouped by categories of jokes that resonate with this old Jew who couldn't tell a joke to save her life!
William Axtell
There is a lot of funny stuff here. Basically a collection of Jewish jokes, it sets them nicely in context with a little cultural information at the beginning of each chapter and a face is put to most of the jokes, which is actually a really nice touch. Some the jokes don't come off terribly well, there are a few too many crude-for-the-sake-of-crude sex jokes and a few need a bit more knowledge of Jewish parlance to be fully appreciated but generally they are really funny, scewring the intrinsic ...more
Elizabeth
Audio book. laughed a lot!
Jason
Jan 22, 2015 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I had some good laughs with this one. I had heard many of the jokes before though in a different form. Still laugh, I did.
dcrowe2
Good concept...Hoffman asked his friends to submit their favourite jokes. So, overall, a decent collection of funny jokes.
Susan
Fun listening to the audio tape and hearing associated history with certain lines of jokes
Joy
Recommended for a light, in-between read or audiobook. Great for some chuckles in the car.
Gregorio Nosovsky
Laughter is such a blessing, you don't have to be jewish or old to like it
NC
pretty funny, a few too many gross sex jokes for me.
Luan Morina
it was quiet funny, actually funnier than I expected....
Rachel Sharf
Funny! I heard many of the jokes before.
Bill Shannon
Even a staunch anti-Semite will chuckle.
Lynda Berman
Lynda Berman marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
David
David added it
Apr 17, 2015
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2015
Lino Natoli
Lino Natoli marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
A
A added it
Mar 31, 2015
Damian Bruce
Damian Bruce marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015