Start by marking “Old Jews Telling Jokes: 5,000 Years of Funny Bits and Not-So-Kosher Laughs” as Want to Read:
Old Jews Telling Jokes: 5,000 Years of Funny Bits and Not-So-Kosher Laughs

Old Jews Telling Jokes: 5,000 Years of Funny Bits and Not-So-Kosher Laughs

A grasshopper walked into a bar and ordered a drink.
The bartender looked at him and said, “You know we have a drink named after you?”
The grasshopper replied, “You have a drink named Stanley?”

Schtick happens. For five thousand years, God’s chosen people have cornered the market on knee-slappers, zingers, and knock-knock jokes. Now Old Jews Telling Jokes mines mothers, fathe
Published September 7th 2010 by Villard (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Old Jews Telling Jokes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Jews Telling Jokes

Althea J.
Lots of laugh-out-loud moments. If you grew up with a Jewish dad like mine, who never met a one-liner he didn't love to tell, you might get the same combo I did, of nostalgia and laughter.

This won an Audie Award for Humor in 2011
---- you gotta listen to this on audiobook. The timing is everything.
Shawn Mcdowell
Jan 04, 2017 Shawn Mcdowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old Jews Telling Jokes

Very very funny book. I have not laughed so hard in a long time. This book is worth it's weight in gold.
Joseph
Jul 11, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
When she was a little girl, my grandmother Esther Ruth emigrated from Russia, escaping pogroms with her family, and settling in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She learned English anyway she could, even picking up gum wrappers off the street to read them.

In her late eighties, she moved into a house on her son’s property, and I had the privilege of living with her for two years. We went to synagogue together (sometimes), read the Psalms together (a lot), and ate her potato pancakes together (too oft
Cagne

Got a few chuckles even if I already heard most of them, not bad, in fact it was interesting to compare the punchline I expected with the way the performers phrased it. Although I didn't understand the 'Knight of the Queen' one.

James Klagge
Dec 29, 2013 James Klagge rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
The first book of/about humor that made me laugh aloud several times. Many of the jokes require knowledge of Jewish culture, and many more are off-color. Still...a fine collection. A few examples:
p. 15: A Jewish mother gives her son two ties on the first night of Hanukkah. The following morning, when he comes down to breakfast, he is wearing one of them. The mom says: "What's the matter--you didn't like the other one?"
p. 189: A guy walks into a psychiatrist's office and says to the secretary, "I
Harold Citron
Aug 08, 2013 Harold Citron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, jews
In the Big Book of Jewish Humor, there is a saying:

"They say that when you tell a joke to a peasant, he laughs three times. Once, when you tell the joke, again when you explain it, and yet again when he understands it for peasants love to laugh.

When you tell a joke to a landowner, he laughs twice - once when you tell him the joke, and again when you explain it, for he never really understands it.

When you tell a joke to an army officer, he laughs only once - when you tell it. He never lets you
Jack Cheng
I listened to the audiobook of this which keeps the rhythm of the joke tellers. Unfortunately, these are not professionals, so while the delivery may be occasionally charming, they also sometimes hurt the joke.

The jokes range from groan inducing to more groan inducing. Amusing. Old Jews work blue, btw, so don't listen with kids around unless you want to spend some time explaining dirty jokes.
Shelley Rose
Apr 26, 2015 Shelley Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on CDs more than once. That should tell you something! Jokes range from corny to classic, lots of laughter guaranteed. Nicely grouped by categories of jokes that resonate with this old Jew who couldn't tell a joke to save her life!
Two Readers in Love
A great companion to the website (oldjewstellingjokes.com), as I'm laughing too hard (or groaning too much) to remember the jokes after hearing them told online; but also stands on it's own as fun light reading in it's own right.
Jason
Jan 22, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I had some good laughs with this one. I had heard many of the jokes before though in a different form. Still laugh, I did.
dcrowe2
Apr 22, 2013 dcrowe2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good concept...Hoffman asked his friends to submit their favourite jokes. So, overall, a decent collection of funny jokes.
Susan
Dec 01, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun listening to the audio tape and hearing associated history with certain lines of jokes
Alison Fricke
Alison Fricke rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Jonathan Gracey
Jonathan Gracey rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Dkettmann
Dkettmann rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Paul Goldberg
Paul Goldberg rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2013
Micah
Micah rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
AB
AB rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2016
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
Rachel Sharf
May 30, 2011 Rachel Sharf rated it liked it
Funny! I heard many of the jokes before.
Andrew Cohen
Andrew Cohen rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Elle Esse
Elle Esse rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Nabela
Nabela rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2011
wendy
wendy rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Anna N.
Anna N. rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2015
Matthew Germenis
Matthew Germenis rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
James Leningrad
James Leningrad rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Baerana
Baerana rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014