Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)

Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Bobby fights his fears -- of stage fright, disconnection from his dad, and the evil neighbor cat with twenty-seven toes -- in this hilarious sequel to BOBBY VS. GIRLS (ACCIDENTALLY).

In his last adventure, Bobby Ellis-Chan got stuck to a stinky tree, had underwear attached to his back, and faced down a whole wolfpack of girls. What could be scarier or more humiliating than...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Bobby The Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bobby The Brave

First off, my kids thought this was a great title. And it suits the story well. Bobby is a 9 year-old boy (same age as my daughter) who loves to skateboard and doesn’t like to play football because he’s not good at it. Problem is, his father is an ex-football pro star, and Bobby’s greatest fear is letting his Dad down, especially since his sister Annie is a quarterback of the high school football team and their father’s pride and joy.

This book was really fun to read to both my kids. It was a lit...more
Abby Johnson
It's not easy having a former pro football player for a father, at least not if you're Bobby Ellis-Chan. Bobby's good at lots of things - skateboarding, being a dog in the school musical, making friends - but football is not one of them! Bobby's already worried that he's not living up to his dad's expectations, but when Bobby gets off on the wrong foot with the new PE teacher things get worse. Mr. Rainerhaus, a big fan of Bobby's dad, announces that they're going to play football in gym. Bobby's...more
Suebee
Would recommend this to my 3rd/4th grade students.

The second in a series by Lisa Yee, Bobby is a fourth grader whose Dad was a famous NFL star, "The Freezer," but is now a stay-at-home dad. At the beginning of the book, Bobby feels overshadowed by his older sister (who is the high school quarterback) and hears his dad saying, "He's not like me," because Bobby feels like a failure at football. Bobby loves skateboarding, though, and his dad is impressed by his skateboarding skills.

Bobby is cast a...more
Childrens Librarian
I like this sequel to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally) and think it will be an easy sell. Bobby does not feel that he can live up to his dad's expectations. His did is a retired NFL player, a huge and kind man, so when they approach the football unit in PE, the teacher expects that Bobby will be a star. Of course Bobby loves skateboarding instead of football but can't quite explain himself to teacher or father. The resolution is realistic, Bobby is a great character, and there are plenty of funny...more
Donna
This was the first of Yee's Bobby books that I have read and I am won over. I particularly appreciate her characterization of boys as more than just wise-cracking pranksters. I know way more boys like this nine-year-old Bobby who are considerate, thoughtful, and still like to be goofy and ride their skateboard. Yee manages to offer Bobby as a well-rounded character and still get in a lot of silliness. Totally enjoyable and appreciated.
Lacey Butler
This book illustrates that students should not follow in someone's footsteps if they do not want to do that action or event because they will end up unhappy. People need to know that, no matter what, their family will love them in whatever they decided to pursue to fulfill their extracurricular time as long as it pleases themselves, which is very apparent in this book.
Joenna
Fourth-grader Bobby is hurt when he hears his father, a former pro-football player, say that they two of them are nothing alike, but finally summons the courage to talk about it after his public asthma attack proves how right his father is.

Good for older kids (especially boys) reading a bit below their level.
Mary
Bobby's father was a famous football player til his injury. Bobby's older sister is following in his footsteps, but all Bobby can think about with football is about being hurt. To top it off he has asthma. Is there anyway to make his father proud of him?
Barbara
Lots of humor, a bit of warm and fuzzy, and a keen eye for familial relationships. Bobby's observational comments are most entertaining. This one will go over with both genders. Thanks, Lisa, for a book well-written and your keen eye for detail.
Heather
Bobby is a great character, and his story is very realistic and funny. I would highly recommend this one. Not only will kids enjoy Bobby's story, but it also carries an important message about being yourself.
Rosie
Cute story, but nothing too memorable. I liked the relationship between Bobby and his dad and the idea of living up to expectations on both ends. Bobby seemed like a good big brother and a likable character.
Vincent
While I liked Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally) better, this doesn't make this a bad book. As a father of two sons, the issue of communication and misinterpretation is handled well.
Monique
Loved the father-son aspect this book put through, and evenly mixed with sports, classmates, and standing up for yourself, it makes a very enjoyable story.
Bev
I thought the it was a good book. It had a deeper theme about a relationship between a boy and his dad who had trouble connecting.
Sue Poduska
This entertaining and amusing volume has a lot to say about family relations and getting along in fourth grade. Bravo!
Amy Cook
My 8 year old enjoyed it. I liked that its main character is a boy with manners and brains. :-)
A great sequel to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
Erin
Cute.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Jocelyn.robinson
Jocelyn.robinson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Nichola Bland-cannon
Nichola Bland-cannon marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Sanitria Gardner
Sanitria Gardner marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Sarah Ahlborg
Sarah Ahlborg marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jessica Cox
Jessica Cox marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Symphony Hamilton
Symphony Hamilton marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Boy Who Howled
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Black Boy White School
  • Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (Heroes in Training, #1)
  • Sellout
  • Sweet Treats & Secret Crushes
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • The Adventures of Nanny Piggins
  • Tutored
  • Violet in Bloom (Flower Power, #2)
Lisa Yee was born and raised near Los Angeles. As a kid, she loved reading, opening brand new boxes of cereal (to get the prize), and riding the teacups at Disneyland.

Lisa attended Brightwood Elementary School in Monterey Park, California where she once won an award for best decorated cake. However, Lisa cut the ribbon in half because her friend Linda had also worked on the cake, and they had agre...more
More about Lisa Yee...
Millicent Min, Girl Genius Stanford Wong Flunks Big-time Absolutely Maybe So Totally Emily Ebers Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)