Start by marking “Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)” as Want to Read:
Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)

Bobby The Brave (Bobby)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
From Lisa Yee and Caldecott Medalist Dan Santat, a hilarious sequel to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally).

Bobby fights his fears -- of stage fright, disconnection from his dad, and the evil neighbor cat with twenty-seven toes -- in this hilarious sequel to BOBBY VS. GIRLS (ACCIDENTALLY).

In his last adventure, Bobby Ellis-Chan got stuck to a stinky tree, had underwear attache
Published September 1st 2010 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Bobby The Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bobby The Brave

Pat Salvatini
Jan 09, 2016 Pat Salvatini rated it really liked it
Bobby is the son of a famous linebacker, but he's not interested in football. Or having tea parties with his younger sister. He likes skateboarding. Only his dad doesn't seem to notice how much they are alike, only that he is different. I originally read the story because of the bullying theme, and was disappointed to find this wasn't the theme of the plot, but more of a side note. However, I feel the book stands on its own merits as Yee creates relate-able characters and the pace of the story i ...more
Herops317
stupidest book ever

Sep 02, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
First off, my kids thought this was a great title. And it suits the story well. Bobby is a 9 year-old boy (same age as my daughter) who loves to skateboard and doesn’t like to play football because he’s not good at it. Problem is, his father is an ex-football pro star, and Bobby’s greatest fear is letting his Dad down, especially since his sister Annie is a quarterback of the high school football team and their father’s pride and joy.

This book was really fun to read to both my kids. It was a lit
Abby Johnson
May 05, 2010 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
It's not easy having a former pro football player for a father, at least not if you're Bobby Ellis-Chan. Bobby's good at lots of things - skateboarding, being a dog in the school musical, making friends - but football is not one of them! Bobby's already worried that he's not living up to his dad's expectations, but when Bobby gets off on the wrong foot with the new PE teacher things get worse. Mr. Rainerhaus, a big fan of Bobby's dad, announces that they're going to play football in gym. Bobby's ...more
Joanne Palin
Oct 08, 2014 Joanne Palin rated it liked it
I found this a bit boring and predictable but I enjoyed a few things about it: I loved that the father is a stay-at-home dad and I liked that Bobby's asthma was treated believably. I also found the father-son relationship dynamic very true to life.
Suebee
Aug 29, 2011 Suebee rated it really liked it
Would recommend this to my 3rd/4th grade students.

The second in a series by Lisa Yee, Bobby is a fourth grader whose Dad was a famous NFL star, "The Freezer," but is now a stay-at-home dad. At the beginning of the book, Bobby feels overshadowed by his older sister (who is the high school quarterback) and hears his dad saying, "He's not like me," because Bobby feels like a failure at football. Bobby loves skateboarding, though, and his dad is impressed by his skateboarding skills.

Bobby is cast a
Childrens Librarian
Dec 17, 2010 Childrens Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic
I like this sequel to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally) and think it will be an easy sell. Bobby does not feel that he can live up to his dad's expectations. His did is a retired NFL player, a huge and kind man, so when they approach the football unit in PE, the teacher expects that Bobby will be a star. Of course Bobby loves skateboarding instead of football but can't quite explain himself to teacher or father. The resolution is realistic, Bobby is a great character, and there are plenty of funny ...more
Irene
May 06, 2015 Irene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elementary Readers Ready for Chapter Books, Especially Boys
Shelves: children
A great follow-up to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally). This book picks up right where the last one left off. The conflict in this book focuses on Bobby's relationship with his father. Along the way, he has to work things out with his gym teacher, Mr. Rainerhaus. A really enjoyable read with a happy ending for everyone. I hope more books will be added to this series!
Gabes Lapinski
May 05, 2015 Gabes Lapinski rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
I chose this book because of the diversity it has in the story.
Caevon Oakes
May 06, 2016 Caevon Oakes rated it liked it
that is was ok
Brett Dewey
Apr 14, 2015 Brett Dewey rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
My son, who's in fourth grade like Bobby, LOVED THIS! He begged to keep reading chapter after chapter. He laughed at the jokes and situations, he TOTALLY related to what was happening - issues like being in the school play, friends, class photo, football... When it was over he asked to read the other one and DUH! I'd given him the second one first. So now we're off to read "Bobby vs Girls (accidentally)"
Donna
Apr 07, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This was the first of Yee's Bobby books that I have read and I am won over. I particularly appreciate her characterization of boys as more than just wise-cracking pranksters. I know way more boys like this nine-year-old Bobby who are considerate, thoughtful, and still like to be goofy and ride their skateboard. Yee manages to offer Bobby as a well-rounded character and still get in a lot of silliness. Totally enjoyable and appreciated.
Lacey Butler
Dec 04, 2013 Lacey Butler rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-4050-11
This book illustrates that students should not follow in someone's footsteps if they do not want to do that action or event because they will end up unhappy. People need to know that, no matter what, their family will love them in whatever they decided to pursue to fulfill their extracurricular time as long as it pleases themselves, which is very apparent in this book.
Joenna
Nov 13, 2010 Joenna rated it really liked it
Fourth-grader Bobby is hurt when he hears his father, a former pro-football player, say that they two of them are nothing alike, but finally summons the courage to talk about it after his public asthma attack proves how right his father is.

Good for older kids (especially boys) reading a bit below their level.
Mary
Sep 11, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Bobby's father was a famous football player til his injury. Bobby's older sister is following in his footsteps, but all Bobby can think about with football is about being hurt. To top it off he has asthma. Is there anyway to make his father proud of him?
Barbara
Aug 18, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it
Lots of humor, a bit of warm and fuzzy, and a keen eye for familial relationships. Bobby's observational comments are most entertaining. This one will go over with both genders. Thanks, Lisa, for a book well-written and your keen eye for detail.
Heather
Bobby is a great character, and his story is very realistic and funny. I would highly recommend this one. Not only will kids enjoy Bobby's story, but it also carries an important message about being yourself.
Rosie
Feb 17, 2012 Rosie rated it liked it
Cute story, but nothing too memorable. I liked the relationship between Bobby and his dad and the idea of living up to expectations on both ends. Bobby seemed like a good big brother and a likable character.
Vincent
Apr 14, 2011 Vincent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
While I liked Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally) better, this doesn't make this a bad book. As a father of two sons, the issue of communication and misinterpretation is handled well.
Monique
Sep 14, 2013 Monique rated it really liked it
Loved the father-son aspect this book put through, and evenly mixed with sports, classmates, and standing up for yourself, it makes a very enjoyable story.
Bev
Apr 21, 2012 Bev rated it it was amazing
I thought the it was a good book. It had a deeper theme about a relationship between a boy and his dad who had trouble connecting.
Sue Poduska
Aug 20, 2011 Sue Poduska rated it really liked it
This entertaining and amusing volume has a lot to say about family relations and getting along in fourth grade. Bravo!
Amy Cook
Feb 09, 2013 Amy Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: benjamin
My 8 year old enjoyed it. I liked that its main character is a boy with manners and brains. :-)
Onnesity White
May 06, 2016 Onnesity White rated it liked it
I think this book is so funny and crazy at the same time.
Mar 20, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
A great sequel to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
Melissa
Dec 09, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
Very cute.
Erin
Jul 19, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit, 2011
Cute.
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
King
King marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Animal House
  • The Boy Who Howled
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • No Girls Allowed (Dogs Okay) (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #1)
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • My Happy Life
  • Oops!
  • The Dazzle Disaster Dinner Party (Sassy, #4)
  • Kaline Klattermaster's Tree House
Lisa Yee was born and raised near Los Angeles. As a kid, she loved reading, opening brand new boxes of cereal (to get the prize), and riding the teacups at Disneyland.

Lisa attended Brightwood Elementary School in Monterey Park, California where she once won an award for best decorated cake. However, Lisa cut the ribbon in half because her friend Linda had also worked on the cake, and they had agre
More about Lisa Yee...

Bobby (2 books)
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)