Start by marking “Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)” as Want to Read:
Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)

Bobby The Brave (Bobby)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From Lisa Yee and Caldecott Medalist Dan Santat, a hilarious sequel to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally).

Bobby fights his fears -- of stage fright, disconnection from his dad, and the evil neighbor cat with twenty-seven toes -- in this hilarious sequel to BOBBY VS. GIRLS (ACCIDENTALLY).

In his last adventure, Bobby Ellis-Chan got stuck to a stinky tree, had underwear attache
Published September 1st 2010 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Bobby The Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bobby The Brave

stupidest book ever

First off, my kids thought this was a great title. And it suits the story well. Bobby is a 9 year-old boy (same age as my daughter) who loves to skateboard and doesn’t like to play football because he’s not good at it. Problem is, his father is an ex-football pro star, and Bobby’s greatest fear is letting his Dad down, especially since his sister Annie is a quarterback of the high school football team and their father’s pride and joy.

This book was really fun to read to both my kids. It was a lit
Abby Johnson
It's not easy having a former pro football player for a father, at least not if you're Bobby Ellis-Chan. Bobby's good at lots of things - skateboarding, being a dog in the school musical, making friends - but football is not one of them! Bobby's already worried that he's not living up to his dad's expectations, but when Bobby gets off on the wrong foot with the new PE teacher things get worse. Mr. Rainerhaus, a big fan of Bobby's dad, announces that they're going to play football in gym. Bobby's ...more
Joanne Palin
I found this a bit boring and predictable but I enjoyed a few things about it: I loved that the father is a stay-at-home dad and I liked that Bobby's asthma was treated believably. I also found the father-son relationship dynamic very true to life.
Would recommend this to my 3rd/4th grade students.

The second in a series by Lisa Yee, Bobby is a fourth grader whose Dad was a famous NFL star, "The Freezer," but is now a stay-at-home dad. At the beginning of the book, Bobby feels overshadowed by his older sister (who is the high school quarterback) and hears his dad saying, "He's not like me," because Bobby feels like a failure at football. Bobby loves skateboarding, though, and his dad is impressed by his skateboarding skills.

Bobby is cast a
Childrens Librarian
I like this sequel to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally) and think it will be an easy sell. Bobby does not feel that he can live up to his dad's expectations. His did is a retired NFL player, a huge and kind man, so when they approach the football unit in PE, the teacher expects that Bobby will be a star. Of course Bobby loves skateboarding instead of football but can't quite explain himself to teacher or father. The resolution is realistic, Bobby is a great character, and there are plenty of funny ...more
May 06, 2015 Irene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elementary Readers Ready for Chapter Books, Especially Boys
Shelves: children
A great follow-up to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally). This book picks up right where the last one left off. The conflict in this book focuses on Bobby's relationship with his father. Along the way, he has to work things out with his gym teacher, Mr. Rainerhaus. A really enjoyable read with a happy ending for everyone. I hope more books will be added to this series!
Gabes Lapinski
I chose this book because of the diversity it has in the story.
Brett Dewey
My son, who's in fourth grade like Bobby, LOVED THIS! He begged to keep reading chapter after chapter. He laughed at the jokes and situations, he TOTALLY related to what was happening - issues like being in the school play, friends, class photo, football... When it was over he asked to read the other one and DUH! I'd given him the second one first. So now we're off to read "Bobby vs Girls (accidentally)"
This was the first of Yee's Bobby books that I have read and I am won over. I particularly appreciate her characterization of boys as more than just wise-cracking pranksters. I know way more boys like this nine-year-old Bobby who are considerate, thoughtful, and still like to be goofy and ride their skateboard. Yee manages to offer Bobby as a well-rounded character and still get in a lot of silliness. Totally enjoyable and appreciated.
Lacey Butler
This book illustrates that students should not follow in someone's footsteps if they do not want to do that action or event because they will end up unhappy. People need to know that, no matter what, their family will love them in whatever they decided to pursue to fulfill their extracurricular time as long as it pleases themselves, which is very apparent in this book.
Fourth-grader Bobby is hurt when he hears his father, a former pro-football player, say that they two of them are nothing alike, but finally summons the courage to talk about it after his public asthma attack proves how right his father is.

Good for older kids (especially boys) reading a bit below their level.
Bobby's father was a famous football player til his injury. Bobby's older sister is following in his footsteps, but all Bobby can think about with football is about being hurt. To top it off he has asthma. Is there anyway to make his father proud of him?
Lots of humor, a bit of warm and fuzzy, and a keen eye for familial relationships. Bobby's observational comments are most entertaining. This one will go over with both genders. Thanks, Lisa, for a book well-written and your keen eye for detail.
Bobby is a great character, and his story is very realistic and funny. I would highly recommend this one. Not only will kids enjoy Bobby's story, but it also carries an important message about being yourself.
Cute story, but nothing too memorable. I liked the relationship between Bobby and his dad and the idea of living up to expectations on both ends. Bobby seemed like a good big brother and a likable character.
While I liked Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally) better, this doesn't make this a bad book. As a father of two sons, the issue of communication and misinterpretation is handled well.
Loved the father-son aspect this book put through, and evenly mixed with sports, classmates, and standing up for yourself, it makes a very enjoyable story.
I thought the it was a good book. It had a deeper theme about a relationship between a boy and his dad who had trouble connecting.
Sue Poduska
This entertaining and amusing volume has a lot to say about family relations and getting along in fourth grade. Bravo!
Amy Cook
My 8 year old enjoyed it. I liked that its main character is a boy with manners and brains. :-)
A great sequel to Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
Fair Cousins
Fair Cousins marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Jose marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Lykeisha Gardenhire
Lykeisha Gardenhire marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • Penny Dreadful
  • The Boy Who Howled
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Animal House
  • Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream
  • Grounded
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • No Girls Allowed (Dogs Okay) (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #1)
  • The Adventures of Nanny Piggins
  • My Happy Life
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Who Stole Halloween?
Lisa Yee was born and raised near Los Angeles. As a kid, she loved reading, opening brand new boxes of cereal (to get the prize), and riding the teacups at Disneyland.

Lisa attended Brightwood Elementary School in Monterey Park, California where she once won an award for best decorated cake. However, Lisa cut the ribbon in half because her friend Linda had also worked on the cake, and they had agre
More about Lisa Yee...

Bobby (2 books)
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
Millicent Min, Girl Genius Stanford Wong Flunks Big-time Absolutely Maybe So Totally Emily Ebers Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)