Start by marking “The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program” as Want to Read:
The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program

The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Building on the science of nutrition that she outlined in her bestselling book, Potatoes Not Prozac, Dr. Kathleen DesMaisons now presents the first complete, in-depth dietary plan for living with–and healing–sugar sensitivity. She explains exactly how you can free your mind and body from the tyranny of sugar and shake off the exhaustion, mental fogginess, and mood swings t...more
Published December 24th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program

Miranda Hersey
Excellent plan, but the writing style was a little over the top. Not *every* person who has a problem with sugar runs out to buy sweets when the cupboards are sparse or eats ice cream in front of the TV every night. This book seemed to be aimed at the lowest possible common denominator. Also, when I've already bought the book, I don't want to read 30 pages of sales pitch. That said, I was able to read through to get the important information and strategies that ARE outlined in this book, which m...more
Andrea
Hi, my name is Andrea, and I'm a sugar addict. And you know what? I think I'm okay with that.

I picked up this book at the library on a whim in order to see if I could find some ideas for cutting back on sugar a bit. The ideas I found were mostly what I already do when I feel like I've been eating too much white stuff (sugar, white flour, white rice, etc): eat more protein and whole grains, eat regular meals, keep sweets out of the house, etc. (Though if I tried to do the three meals a day that t...more
Karen
Amy Carr
I thought this was a fascinating book with some excellent theories and scientific research about how our bodies handle and process the amount of sugar we eat. I could completely relate to so many aspects of what the physical, emotional, and chemical reactions in creates in our bodies. And I LOVE her practical, methodical "recovery" program. I plan on buying and copying and using it frequently...
adri patamoma
'olá! meu nome é adriana e sou viciada em açúcar' -- eu sempre soube que meu maior vício eram os doces, e às vezes até consegui diminuir o consumo de sorvetes, chocolates, e outras delícias, mas nunca consegui me livrar dessa vontade imensa de comer tudo o quanto é doce! quando vi este livro, pensei que ele podia me ser útil, e adorei lê-lo. a autora apresenta um programa bem formulado e fácil de seguir que leva, ao longo de algumas semanas e de muita persistência e determinação, a conseguir con...more
Lauren
Bad rip-off on the Atkins Diet. The few tidbits of useful information are overwhelmed by touchy-feely babble (the book would be fifty pages at most if this poorly edited tripe were removed). My expectations were low, but, to be fair, it did provide entertainment while I was stuck in line at the DMV for an hour (which is about how long it takes to read the decent parts of this book). It's depressing it got such good reviews on Amazon ... no wonder thousands of people apply to The Biggest Loser ev...more
Irene
This one was a disappointment. There were quite a few helpful bits, but I'm sorry I just can't take seriously someone who has a section in their book about how to highlight said book. Way to talk down to your readers.

I am a sugar addict, and I am going to do a few of the things the author puts into her program. But her approach in general is tailored towards people who are way bigger addicts than I am, and I often didn't feel like the author was speaking to me.
Julie
Hi. I'm a sugar addict.

If, like me, you:

1. Have tried to cut down or control your use of sweet foods?
2. Are using more sweet foods than ever before?
3. Miss your regular "dose" of sugar and you get cranky and irritable?
4. Have gotten upset because someone ate your special food?
5. Have lied about how much sweet food you eat?
6. Have ever gone out of your way to get something sweet?
7. Have ever binged on sweet or refined flour foods?
8. Have ever felt like you have a sugar hangover?
9. Find it impossi...more
I read this a few years ago and am realizing now that I ought to add it to the Goodreads "shelf" of books I love. It's such an important book, written by the first person to get her PhD in Addictive Nutrition, Kathleen DesMaisons. Here is a quote from her website, Radiant Recovery.com, which captures what I want to say so much better than I could:

"You probably think your sugar addiction is about lack of willpower or discipline or motivation. It is not. It is about your biochemistry. You were bo...more
Christina
Much of this books is information I already know and do - whole grains, protein at each meal, water, balanced breakfast, etc. However, I found the idea of eating a potato before bed completely new. She shares lots of good evidence and I plan to read that chapter to my husband.

I rate the book 4 stars, not necessarily because I learned so much but for other reasons. It is well organized. The author is very qualified to write the book. The book includes good, concrete ideas for phasing sugar out of...more
Beth Balen
Some interesting ideas for getting off sugar. I'm such a sugar hog!
Clare K. R.
I may raise my rating once I've actually gone through the program (I intend to at least try it), but certainly not above four stars. The book is sometimes inconsistent, it could really be organized better (if there's an official list of steps, at least put it at the front of the book, not buried in only one chapter!), and based on the symptoms given, I'm honestly not too sure I'm actually considered a sugar addict. But I would like to eat less sugar.
Justine
Aug 10, 2008 Justine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to boost energy and make better food choices
Recommended to Justine by: Laura
a very simple approach to eating, taking small steps and slowly eliminating sugar from my diet. easy to read, great suggestions, with grocery list and recipes. how food effects physiology (serotonin levels). choosing the right foods can heal depression and many other ailments. Protein, protein, protein with every meal. this recovery program does not ban any certain food groups, only sugar.
Michelle
This is an amazing book as is her other one on sugar addict's. She works with addicts-alcoholics. They come to here when nothing else will help them and she has a 92% success rate with them. She uses this same strategy for sugar addicts. Fixing the brains chemical elements that are off for any addicts. So good. I ordered it in for my local library!
Nicky
I'd give this book 500 stars if I could. I recommend it to anyone who can't say no to sweet things and can never have just one bickie. It will explain the biochemistry of your body and give you tools to balance things out so you can eat for your own unique body chemistry and learn to say no to sugar.
Marsha
I'm currently reading this book for the second time because I need the reminder the author gives me. The book supports what I'm trying to change in my own eating habits. She (the author) gives research as well as solutions to overcoming what really is an addiction.
Aischa
Apr 12, 2011 Aischa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A "must read" passed over from my neighbor. It was written in 2000, and only this year did I hear that sugar is like a drug. It looks informative, and useful. Jeez my pile of diet and self-help books is growing. I need a month at the beach to read.
Mandy
After reading this book, my suspicions were confirmed that I am indeed a sugar addict. This book has some helpful tips to try and kick this habit, if one is in the mindset to do so. Maybe someday, I will be.
Andrea
This book helps folks realize how much sugar we eat. I've become mindful of ingredients more now; however, I would never take sugar completely out of my diet as this book suggests. We live only once.
Chris
I mostly loved this book and I am converted to the ideas. Some of the chapters were too technical and repetitive and I had a hard time getting through them, but overall a great book and a wonderful plan!
Grandma Judy
Interesting book. I've tried eating a potato before bedtime like she suggests, and didn't notice any difference in sleep. I'm not a sugar addict, tho, so it could help those addicted to sugar.
Monica
The science was interesting, but brief. The author struggles with keeping on topic. I couldn't relate to the subject enough, and I wonder if there was even enough meat there for someone who does.
Darin
I like the premise of the book and have begun using it as a partial guideline to how I eat, but I found it to be too wordy. Some of the material at the end I just skimmed.
Melanie Robinson
Good biochemistry in the book, but sadly just like the exercise videos on the shelf - with out putting the info to use - one remains an addict.
Rachel
Trying the plan now. So far so good. Not a diet, a lifestyle change. Interesting science behind it.
Mindy
This is me. If you can't stay away from sugar and you want to - this is the book for you.
Ronnie
changed diet to low carb, I didn't end up finishing the book.
Pam Reeder
I don't think I'm a sugar addict, but enjoyed reading.
Naomi
Oct 01, 2007 Naomi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Because I mean COME ON - something's gotta give here.
Vanessa
comforting, simple, grounding advice.
Potatoes Not Prozac Little Sugar Addicts: End the Mood Swings, Meltdowns, Tantrums, and Low Self-Esteem in Your Child Today Your Last Diet!: The Sugar Addict's Weight-Loss Plan Potatoes Not Prozac: How To Control Depression, Food Cravings And Weight Gain Your Body Speaks: The Sugar Addict's Food Diary