Darkvision: The Wizards

Darkvision: The Wizards (The Wizards #3)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Exile of the Hidden City.

Adept of forgotten mysteries.

Sorceress of the Celestial Nadir.

Haunted by nightmares and driven by desire, Ususi defied the will of her people and ran away, venturing alone into the outside world her people abandoned centuries ago.

Now Ususi tracks down the relics that brought both prosperity and doom to her people. But when an old adversary find...more
Published April 7th 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published September 12th 2006)

Travis
Darkvision by Bruce R. Cordell- This is the third book in a stand-alone series called The Wizards. The first book is Blackstaff by Steven E. Schend, the second is Bloodwalk by James P. Davis, and the final book is Frostfell by Mark Sehestedt. With this series, each book is a separate entity and can be read out-of-order. The only theme to mention is that each novel revolves around wizards and magic. Darkvision is set in the Forgotten Realms universe of the role-playing game Dungeons and Dragons....more
Pierre van Rooden
I had only read one earlier novel by Bruce Cordell. That was Lady of Poison, which I didn't really enjoy.
So it was with some doubts that I started on Darkvision. The novel involves Ususi, a character that plays a (very) minor role in a plot line I was working on. To my surprise, I actually did like this novel.

The characters in the novel are worth caring for, and the story is engaging even if the adversary is (again) an unfathomable entity with no clear motivation except utter destruction. In oth...more
Steve
This book polarizes people. Some people I know, I’ve heard that they like this book. Some people I know, I’ve heard that they don’t like this book. I’ve heard one person say they liked the characters very much, and another who said they disliked the characters a great deal. I’ve heard people applaud the plotline, and others condemn it. In the end, the book polarized me, too, because I liked certain aspects of it a great deal, and others, I disliked a great deal.

The first thing, right off the bat...more
Joel Flank
Darkvision, by Bruce Cordell, is a book in the Forgotten Realms setting and part of the Wizards anthology series. It's a stand alone novel that has a main character of a wizard, which is the only connection to the rest in this series, which is a good thing. Like many of the other anthology series set in the Realms, many of the entries are hit or miss, but I was happy to find out that Darkvision was a strong hit. For those who don't know, Bruce Cordell is one of the long term game designers for D...more
David Tanner
This was the second time I tried to read this book, and perhaps because I was on vacation with little to distract me, I finished it this time. It was okay, although I was disappointed that the world and people of Ususi weren't clearly described, especially since they seem to play an important part in the newly redefined Forgotten Realms series. I was also surprised that there was no explanation for how Ususi becomes queen - will the people really buy that she saved them if no one but Iahn witnes...more
Yvensong
It was your classic fantasy adventure novel. A group of adventurers go off to challenge, and hopefully defeat, the big bad that threatens to control and destroy the world. There were times I felt like I was in the middle of a computer game, which was no surprise as this entertaining novel was penned by Bruce R. Cordell, a game designer known for adventure games.

It's not a great piece of literature, but it was fairly well-written by someone who actually has a grasp of the English language.
Jake Goodwin
Jake Goodwin marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Shawn Camp
Shawn Camp marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Rusty Schaeffer
Rusty Schaeffer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Kitty
Kitty added it
May 26, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Reine
Reine marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Michaella Reed
Michaella Reed marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Joshua Forrest
Joshua Forrest marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Alex O'Riley
Alex O'Riley marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
  • Bloodwalk (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #2)
  • Frostfell (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #4)
  • Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #4)
  • Blackstaff (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #1)
  • Queen of the Depths (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #4)
  • Sands of the Soul (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #6)
  • Master of Chains (Forgotten Realms: The Fighters, #1)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • Maiden of Pain (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #3)
  • Whisper of Waves (Forgotten Realms: Watercourse, #1)
  • Depths of Madness (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #1)
  • Son of Thunder (Forgotten Realms: The Fighters, #3)
  • Final Gate (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #3)
  • Bladesinger (Forgotten Realms: The Fighters, #4)
  • The Sapphire Crescent (Forgotten Realms: The Scions of Arrabar, #1)
  • Mistress of the Night (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #2)
  • Tymora's Luck (Forgotten Realms: Lost Gods, #3)
Bruce enjoyed six years of biotech research while pursuing his biology degree, and for three years after achieving it. But realms of the fantastic were never far from him. Bruce’s freelance game design for various online multiuser text games ultimately landed him a design position at Wizards of the Coast.

Instead of coding online multiuser D&D games, he found himself designing traditional role...more
More about Bruce R. Cordell...
Psionics Handbook Tome and Blood: A Guidebook to Wizards and Sorcerers (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.0 Fantasy Roleplaying) Underdark (Dungeons & Dragons d20 Fantasy Roleplaying, Forgotten Realms Accessory) Expanded Psionics Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement) Lady of Poison (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #1)