Start by marking “The Apocalypse: Concerning the End for Which God Created the World” as Want to Read:
The Apocalypse: Concerning the End for Which God Created the World

The Apocalypse: Concerning the End for Which God Created the World

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Published February 21st 2007 by Meadow Books (first published 1765)

To ask other readers questions about The Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apocalypse

benebean
This was a lot more technical than I thought it would be. Honestly, I was sort of lost/bored/indifferent to a lot of the stuff after the beginning (I'm not a scholar). But it became much more meaningful and enjoyable when Edwards actually started listing the reasons God created the world along with numerous scripture references backing up his claims around chapter 2 section 4ish.

So for me the book is sort of like:
beginning: meh
middle: huh?
end: oooo!

I'm giving is 3 stars, but I suspect the ratin
Zachariah
May 13, 2009 Zachariah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Zachariah by: John Piper
(I read this in a complete works of Edwards series in my university library, so not this exact edition. Mine had tons of foot notes =] )
The first half of the work is going over the logic by which he proposes the Supreme Being would work (obviously the Christian God, but not necessarily so, at this point it is general). The second half brings in scripture, and Edwards goes through how scripture fits into his outline painted in the first section to display God's plan for the world. He wraps it up
Mike Conroy
Wow. What can I say? This book is filled with Scripture after Scripture after Scripture all showing that the chief end that God created the world for is the display of His own glory. Edwards, at times, is too philosophical and can impose systems of thoughts on the Bible rather than reading systems of thoughts from the Bible.

This book follows that pattern, but it’s right. The first half is all a philosophical look at motives, and ends or goals in people’s pursuits. And then he applies that thinki
Tom
What a beautifully written book, reminding us that God's glory is the highest good. While it could have been a bit more "devotional", this was still a soul-stirring reminder that we should strive to glorify God in all we do.
James Mc
One of the most beautiful and helpful books that I have ever read. Stunning. Hard work, though!
Josh
Very dense reasoning, but excellent.
Jeremy Egerer
Starts off with a beautiful treatise about the objects of human action, and ends with a good old-fashioned Scriptural bulldozing about how God created the world for His own glory.

If you've ever wondered how God could create a universe while in a state of absolute self-contentedness, or if you've ever wondered exactly what it *means* to glorify God -- or what good He gets out of it at all, being God -- then this book is a must-read.
Lindsay Kennedy
This work is so God-centered and it's contagious. This is the theology the church today needs! It's not an easy work to read, but it's contents are for all. I want to always be dwelling on the message of this book, so as to keep my life in the correct perspective.
Steve
Not this edition. This is solid Edwardsean stuff. I wonder if the answer to the objection if selfishness in God seeking His own glory may not be supplemented with the unfolding of intraTrinitarian relations? Ie mutual glorification and submission and love?
Jenkins
man, the grasp on God's holiness and glory is articulated so amazingly. this book helped me glimpse into the vastness and bigness of God.
Jeff Boettcher
Edwards can be difficult to wade through, but this is a seminal work on understanding God's purpose for himself and for us.
Brian
4th reading; also read 8/19/98 and the two times I read Piper's God's Passion for His Glory
Daniel Alvers
Edwards is just that guy I love reading his work.

Noel Bass
Noel Bass marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Pedro Henrique
Pedro Henrique marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Britani
Britani marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Dan Cooper
Dan Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Caroline
Caroline is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Martin Graham
Martin Graham marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Stephanie Black
Stephanie Black marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Jonathan Edwards.

Jonathan Edwards was the most eminent American philosopher-theologian of his time, and a key figure in what has come to be called the First Great Awakening of the 1730s and 1740s.

The only son in a family of eleven children, he entered Yale in September, 1716 when he was not yet thirteen and graduated fou
More about Jonathan Edwards...
The Religious Affections Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God The Life and Diary of David Brainerd Freedom of the Will Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions: And Advice to Young Converts