Start by marking “The Redwall Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Redwall Cookbook

The Redwall Cookbook (Redwall)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,136 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Ever read a Redwall novel and wonder exactly what Abbot’s Special Abbey Trifle is? Or how to make Shrimp ’N Hotroot Soup, that delicacy of otters everywhere? Or Mole’s Favourite Turnip and Tater Deeper ’N Ever Pie? From the simple refreshment of Summer Strawberry Fizz to Great Hall Gooseberry Fool, they’re all here, along with dozens of other favorites sure to turn young h ...more
Published September 22nd 2005 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Redwall Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Redwall Cookbook

Taylor
Jan 16, 2008 Taylor rated it really liked it
One of the hardest and best things about Brian Jacques 'Redwall' series is surviving through the lavish descriptions of delicious feasts. They make the mouth water, and the only time to effectively read these books is during the holidays when leftovers and goodies are abundant. Or during a good garden harvest.

Happily, there is this wee, handy cookbook with recipes and short Redwall stories. I haven't tried the recipes yet, but they look good and read well. And I am really looking forward to rea
Josiah
Apr 15, 2010 Josiah rated it liked it
This is a difficult book to review. How exactly does one rate or review a cookbook, especially one that is just as much a fictional narrative as a collection of effective recipes?

Both story and recipes were very good, in my opinion. I'm not sure how exactly the recipes in the book were created, though; did Brian Jacques do it himself (probably not, I'd assume), or at least help with it? Was a chef hired by the publishing company to work up some recipes that fit within the guidelines of the foo
Nostalgia Reader
Redwall books aren't complete without the mouth-watering feasts, so a cookbook companion is quite fitting for the series! The recipes are split up into four feasts, one for each season, with desserts and entrees, an appetizer, and a drink for each. Recipes include the perennial favorites October Ale, Summer Strawberry Fizz, Shrimp' n' Hotroot Soup, Deeper' n' Ever Turnip' n' Tater' n' Beetroot Pie, Cheese' n' Onion Hogbake, and Afternoon Scones. All recipes are relatively simple, but quite delic ...more
X
Apr 09, 2009 X rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Redwallers
Wonderful, of course! What else could a Redwaller think? The book is divided into four sections - one for each season - with a little story and recipes for each. The stories and poems are nice, the illustrations darling, and the recipes simple but good (at least the one's I've tried!).
Cydni Perkins
Sep 16, 2013 Cydni Perkins rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute little cookbook that is basically a story with recipes. It brings back many of my favorite Redwall characters, like Matthias and Cornflower, just for a big feast where everyone is exchanging little stories and recipes. Some trickery is involved when some beasts try to eavesdrop on another beat's recipes. I found several recipes that I know will be keepers, like Stones Inna Swamp (vegetable soup with dumplings). The recipes are mostly vegetarian, which I think is appropriate b ...more
Amity DeAngelis
Jan 18, 2012 Amity DeAngelis rated it it was amazing
I spent most of 5th and 6th grade inhaling all of the Redwall books and still enjoy them now and then as an adult. The descriptions of Abbey food has always made me drool! I just recently got this cookbook and tried out the stuffed mushrooms and Savory Squirrel Bakes (mashed potato and cheese balls) for Thanksgiving and they were delicious! The only difficulty I found is that a lot of the recipes contain cheese, which some picky eaters in my family won't eat. I also do not enjoy cooking very muc ...more
Melissa
Jun 15, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
At the suggestion of my third-born son, we purchased this book. As a cookbook goes, there are a plethora of simple, yet scrumpious foods to enjoy. They are organized by season of the year; like soups in the fall, hot tea and scones in the winter and fruit desserts for summer. Each of my children have favorites from this book for their birthdays. I love how Mr. Jacques explains the significance of the simple recipes as the result of food rationing during WWII. Everyone had to find ways to use wha ...more
☺Trish
Jan 28, 2014 ☺Trish rated it really liked it
Another beautiful collaboration from author Brian Jacques and illustrator Christopher Denise. I could live on Hare's Pawspring Vegetable Soup and/or Shrimp 'N Hotroot Soup (curry!). What I'd really like to try next, though, is the Rubbadeedubb Pudd . . . baby Bungo definitely has a way with words! Oh, and after reading (and enjoying) Josiah's review and his high praise for Hare's Haversack Crumble, I can't wait to try that recipe, too!
Deb
Sep 20, 2007 Deb rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: redwall fans but not cooks.
Shelves: childrens, cooking
I returned this cook book without actually reading through the whole thing. All of the recipes are vegetarian, which is great! Except that most of the dishes don't involve more complex spices than salt and pepper. This is not the way to get kids (or adults, ofr that matter) interested in vegetables.

The one dish I made from here, "Mole's Favourite Turnip and Tater Deeper'n'Ever Pie," was a disappointment. It would make a good base dish if you're handy with cheese & herbs, which is what I ende
Amy
Oct 16, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 6-8, 8-10, 10-12, pretty
My children's eating habits have always been vulnerable to the manipulations of their favorite fictional characters. If you have children, and have been subjected to "Wonder Pets" , then you'll appreciate how I was able to introduce celery as a worthwhile snack option. (Handy hint- a vegetable peeler will allow you to remove those annoying strings off the back of the stick very easily- throw the peels into your bucket of veggie scraps in the freezer for when you make stock) .This book is a keepe ...more
Meg
Nov 19, 2016 Meg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Redwall Fans
What a lovely treat this cookbook is! Even though I haven't picked up a Redwall book in years, this charming addition with its quaint little stories and gorgeous artwork brought back so many memories. It was like meeting a very, very old friend again and discovering that they hadn't changed a jot in the time since you last met.

My only complaint is that I was expecting something a bit more challenging with the recipes. I believe this is in part my own fault, because I have become quite the cook
Casey
Dec 10, 2014 Casey rated it it was amazing
This might have been the best birthday present I ever recieved from a friend. I was a kid who grew up on the Redwall books in grade school, and had developed a bit of a love for cooking by emulating Food Network recipes on Sunday afternoons. Thus imagine my delight when I recieved this book to find an adorable storyline with all my favourite characters (Matthias! Cornflower! Basil!), interwoven with substantial, hearty, healthy recipes that actually turned out to be delicious.

For anyone who's ev
Molly
Sep 02, 2013 Molly rated it really liked it
Very cute story to accompany these recipes, with adorable illustrations. Many tasty-sounding recipes that I will definitely be trying. I am looking forward to having a "Redwall feast" with my book club this month, since we read a tale of Redwall for our selection. It's going to be a tasty occasion indeed! Honestly, speaking from the experience of having read every Redwall novel, a cookbook was basically a necessity after stuffing through all of Jacques' Redwall droolfests. It's high time to expe ...more
Sep 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
After getting through all those agonizingly delicious food descriptions that ALWAYS made me hungry, EVERY time, it's so cool to have a cookbook to go along with it! I tried making a couple recipes with my fiancé and it was fun and delicious. If I had kids, I'm sure they'd love reading Redwall and this would be a super fun way to introduce them into cooking. Honestly, it's introducing me, Queen of Microwaves and Cancer/Diabetes/High Cholesterol/Obesity Inducing Dishes to the scary world of cookin ...more
Rhonda
Nov 20, 2010 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Great little cookbook that I bought for my children when they were young and reading all the the Brian Jacques books. I truly enjoyed making the items and sharing the connection with the kids about where it fit in with the books. In my book,(no pun intended)one of the marks of a great author is to make me salivate about the food that the characters are eating! How great to be able to go and make it yourself!
Loraine
Apr 05, 2015 Loraine rated it liked it
My three star rating is for adult readers who also enjoy cooking. But for young readers The Redwall Cookbook deserves at least a four star rating. The artwork is lovely. The narrative comports with the Mossflower denizens, and the recipes are of dishes prepared throughout the series. Great introduction to cooking for the younger set, with not too much sugar. And . . . most of Mossflower's different tribes and the Redwall monks are close to being vegetarian. so there you go!
Basil
Jan 04, 2011 Basil rated it it was amazing
All of the recipes are simple and great for people who are starting to learn to cook (like me!). Although I've only made nine recipes from this book so far, I have yet to be disappointed. Shrimp ’n’ Hootroot Soup and Savoury Squirrel Bakes are the house favorites so far (challenged by the Stones Inna Swamp) and October Ale has become one of my new favorite drinks. Grape juice without the heart burn! Who'd have thought!
Julie
Mostly good recipes. A few times I had to reduce sugar or increase spices, but overall they are good recipes. I think our favorite is the Nunnymolers. The most pleasant surprise was the Applesnow. My husband was convinced it would be terrible and I was a little hesitant to make it too, but we both liked it.
Maddie
Mar 07, 2016 Maddie rated it really liked it
I don't know anyone who has read the Redwall books and not fantasised about trying the dishes Brian Jacques describes. This book gets you a little closer to that dream! It's perfect for kids, with nice clear instructions (though the actual cooking is a bit more advanced), and the illustrations are absolutely adorable.

My favourite recipe was the Crispy Cheese'n'Onion Hogbake.
Lauren Mead
Aug 15, 2013 Lauren Mead rated it it was amazing
I always loved Brian Jacques Redwall series as a child and I have enjoyed reading the stories that Jacques wrote in correspondence with the recipes. Each recipe is directly out of the original books. Furthermore, they taste excellent--no tweaking of recipes required. Flipping through the pages, it is lovely to see the illustrations of Mossflower creatures too.
Megan
Aug 21, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood, to-buy
I'm so thrilled that this book exists!

When I was younger, I devoured the Redwall series. Now, around a decade later, I've been re-reading the books and remembering how much I loved the vivid details of feasts and time spent with Friar Hugo furiously cooking in the Abbey kitchen. I can't wait to try these recipes for myself and for friends.
Arrow Worthy
Feb 17, 2013 Arrow Worthy rated it it was amazing
This book is delightful! Filled with all the recipes from the series that I've drooled over time & again, and now I can finally cook them. And the story that goes along with the recipes is so sweet and lovely, I almost cried when I reached the end.

A must have for any Redwall fan!
Forestgyrl
Aug 19, 2009 Forestgyrl rated it it was amazing
I love this cook book :)
Kids and adults will love this Redwall based cookbook, all the recipes from the Redwall series is in here and they taste great. After reading it at my local library I bought one of my own. Got to love Amazon.com
Neatia
A strange mix of a storybook and a cookbook, Jacques makes it work and provides a chance for those who love the world of Redwall to try out some of the fabled recipes for themselves. My family makes the Shrimp and Hotroot Soup with the October Ale every holiday.
Alisha Falberg
Oct 25, 2015 Alisha Falberg rated it it was amazing
For all of you who wished you were at each and every Redwall feast, who's mouths watered with the descriptions of the scones, and pies, and bakes, and fizzes, and who wondered what some of the foods were, this book is for you!!!
Ema-Lilly Dream
Nov 01, 2014 Ema-Lilly Dream rated it really liked it
Shelves: reveiws
This is a great book. One of my biggest memory of reading the Redwall books was the food and feasts and treats, and that it always made me super hungry. Now, you can make some of those foodstuffs. I wish there were more recipes. That's my only complaint.
Merry reading!
Rachel
Sep 05, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, kids
Starts with a cute bit about kitchen safety. section for each season starts with a poem then a short story about the creatures of Redwall preparing for a seasonal feast with recipes for each of the dishes interspersed.
Lena
Jan 29, 2008 Lena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
Recommended to Lena by: nobody recomended this book to me, i started reading the other
these are the best foods!!!!
we made a four corse or was it five corse meal with my cousins and we had a blast and the food was the best!
the story that goes along with it is so cute and the drawings the most darlingest!(is that a word?)
Luke Farr
May 05, 2011 Luke Farr rated it it was amazing
I think it should go to say something that this is the only cookbook I brought with me when I moved to San Francisco. This books is actually really awesome. All vegetarian food, all inspired by the food cooked in the Redwall series, ALL DELICIOUS.
Angela
Jul 02, 2011 Angela added it
Shelves: cookbooks, own
I enjoyed the novels. As I collect cookbooks, I checked this out. The drawings and stories along with the seasonal delights reminiscent of the feasts in the novels are delightful. I will be purchasing this one.
  • The Narnia Cookbook: Foods from C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • The Secret Garden Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett's THE SECRET GARDEN
  • Roald Dahl's Even More Revolting Recipes
  • Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook
  • The Alice in Wonderland Cookbook: A Culinary Diversion
  • The Nancy Drew Cookbook: Clues to Good Cooking (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #0)
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • Everybody Cooks Rice
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Serve it Forth: Cooking With Anne McCaffrey
  • The Rabbit Problem
  • The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" - More than 150 Recipes Inspired by The Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Everything Alice: The Wonderland Book of Makes and Bakes
  • Roald Dahl's Cookbook
  • Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be
  • Red Ted and the Lost Things
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

Redwall (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)