Start by marking “The Redwall Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Redwall Cookbook

The Redwall Cookbook

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  888 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Ever read a Redwall novel and wonder exactly what Abbot’s Special Abbey Trifle is? Or how to make Shrimp ’N Hotroot Soup, that delicacy of otters everywhere? Or Mole’s Favourite Turnip and Tater Deeper ’N Ever Pie? From the simple refreshment of Summer Strawberry Fizz to Great Hall Gooseberry Fool, they’re all here, along with dozens of other favorites sure to turn young h ...more
Published September 22nd 2005 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Redwall Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Redwall Cookbook

The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah BucholzA Feast of Ice and Fire by Chelsea Monroe-CasselThe Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook by Emily Ansara BainesDining With The Doctor by Chris-Rachael OselandThe Book Lover's Cookbook by Shaunda Kennedy Wenger
Geeky Cookbooks
15th out of 30 books — 20 voters
Front Row Center's Passion in the Kitchen by Cynthia B. AinswortheThe Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah BucholzThe Pooh Cook Book by Virginia H. EllisonTequila Mockingbird by Tim FederleJan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader by Jan Karon
Fiction Inspired Cookbooks
6th out of 22 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Taylor
One of the hardest and best things about Brian Jacques 'Redwall' series is surviving through the lavish descriptions of delicious feasts. They make the mouth water, and the only time to effectively read these books is during the holidays when leftovers and goodies are abundant. Or during a good garden harvest.

Happily, there is this wee, handy cookbook with recipes and short Redwall stories. I haven't tried the recipes yet, but they look good and read well. And I am really looking forward to rea
Josiah
This is a difficult book to review. How exactly does one rate or review a cookbook, especially one that is just as much a fictional narrative as a collection of effective recipes?

Both story and recipes were very good, in my opinion. I'm not sure how exactly the recipes in the book were created, though; did Brian Jacques do it himself (probably not, I'd assume), or at least help with it? Was a chef hired by the publishing company to work up some recipes that fit within the guidelines of the foo
X
Jan 02, 2010 X rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Redwallers
Wonderful, of course! What else could a Redwaller think? The book is divided into four sections - one for each season - with a little story and recipes for each. The stories and poems are nice, the illustrations darling, and the recipes simple but good (at least the one's I've tried!).
Cydni Perkins
This is such a cute little cookbook that is basically a story with recipes. It brings back many of my favorite Redwall characters, like Matthias and Cornflower, just for a big feast where everyone is exchanging little stories and recipes. Some trickery is involved when some beasts try to eavesdrop on another beat's recipes. I found several recipes that I know will be keepers, like Stones Inna Swamp (vegetable soup with dumplings). The recipes are mostly vegetarian, which I think is appropriate b ...more
Amity DeAngelis
I spent most of 5th and 6th grade inhaling all of the Redwall books and still enjoy them now and then as an adult. The descriptions of Abbey food has always made me drool! I just recently got this cookbook and tried out the stuffed mushrooms and Savory Squirrel Bakes (mashed potato and cheese balls) for Thanksgiving and they were delicious! The only difficulty I found is that a lot of the recipes contain cheese, which some picky eaters in my family won't eat. I also do not enjoy cooking very muc ...more
Melissa
At the suggestion of my third-born son, we purchased this book. As a cookbook goes, there are a plethora of simple, yet scrumpious foods to enjoy. They are organized by season of the year; like soups in the fall, hot tea and scones in the winter and fruit desserts for summer. Each of my children have favorites from this book for their birthdays. I love how Mr. Jacques explains the significance of the simple recipes as the result of food rationing during WWII. Everyone had to find ways to use wha ...more
Melissa
If you have read any of the Redwall books then you already know about the great feasts that tend to happen in each novel. Have you ever wanted to try your hand at making one of those delectable dishes? This would be the book for you. Not only does it have a set of recipes for each season, but it also includes four short stories that are used to introduce each recipe.

The illustrations are very good, as well as the writing of Brian Jacques as he introduces not only each season, but each dish as we
☺Trish
Another beautiful collaboration from author Brian Jacques and illustrator Christopher Denise. I could live on Hare's Pawspring Vegetable Soup and/or Shrimp 'N Hotroot Soup (curry!). What I'd really like to try next, though, is the Rubbadeedubb Pudd . . . baby Bungo definitely has a way with words! Oh, and after reading (and enjoying) Josiah's review and his high praise for Hare's Haversack Crumble, I can't wait to try that recipe, too!
Casey
This might have been the best birthday present I ever recieved from a friend. I was a kid who grew up on the Redwall books in grade school, and had developed a bit of a love for cooking by emulating Food Network recipes on Sunday afternoons. Thus imagine my delight when I recieved this book to find an adorable storyline with all my favourite characters (Matthias! Cornflower! Basil!), interwoven with substantial, hearty, healthy recipes that actually turned out to be delicious.

For anyone who's ev
Deb
Oct 09, 2007 Deb rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: redwall fans but not cooks.
Shelves: cooking, childrens
I returned this cook book without actually reading through the whole thing. All of the recipes are vegetarian, which is great! Except that most of the dishes don't involve more complex spices than salt and pepper. This is not the way to get kids (or adults, ofr that matter) interested in vegetables.

The one dish I made from here, "Mole's Favourite Turnip and Tater Deeper'n'Ever Pie," was a disappointment. It would make a good base dish if you're handy with cheese & herbs, which is what I ende
Loraine
My three star rating is for adult readers who also enjoy cooking. But for young readers The Redwall Cookbook deserves at least a four star rating. The artwork is lovely. The narrative comports with the Mossflower denizens, and the recipes are of dishes prepared throughout the series. Great introduction to cooking for the younger set, with not too much sugar. And . . . most of Mossflower's different tribes and the Redwall monks are close to being vegetarian. so there you go!
eviline_lunette
Dec 14, 2014 eviline_lunette rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any Redwall fan, or anyone looking for delicious food!
Brian Jacques is my favorite author of all time, and this is such an amazing book of some of the Redwall recipes! Looking forward to making the Deeper 'n' Ever Turnip n' Tater n' Beetroot pie, along with other abbey staples!
Abbey
This is such a nice little cookbook. The recipes are categorized by the seasons, and each dish has a short-story before telling you how to prepare it. This book has very fluid transitions from each scene to the next, and I found the ending very cute. Aside from the writing, the illustrations throughout this cookbook depicted the characters very well, and it made the short-stories all the more enjoyable. A great read!
Mazzou B
Although not incredibly well planned, this is such a fun cookbook because Redwall is all about the amazing feasts!
Molly
Very cute story to accompany these recipes, with adorable illustrations. Many tasty-sounding recipes that I will definitely be trying. I am looking forward to having a "Redwall feast" with my book club this month, since we read a tale of Redwall for our selection. It's going to be a tasty occasion indeed! Honestly, speaking from the experience of having read every Redwall novel, a cookbook was basically a necessity after stuffing through all of Jacques' Redwall droolfests. It's high time to expe ...more
Nesannce Coon
All of the recipes are simple and great for people who are starting to learn to cook (like me!). Although I've only made nine recipes from this book so far, I have yet to be disappointed. Shrimp ’n’ Hootroot Soup and Savoury Squirrel Bakes are the house favorites so far (challenged by the Stones Inna Swamp) and October Ale has become one of my new favorite drinks. Grape juice without the heart burn! Who'd have thought!
Rhonda
Great little cookbook that I bought for my children when they were young and reading all the the Brian Jacques books. I truly enjoyed making the items and sharing the connection with the kids about where it fit in with the books. In my book,(no pun intended)one of the marks of a great author is to make me salivate about the food that the characters are eating! How great to be able to go and make it yourself!
Lauren Mead
I always loved Brian Jacques Redwall series as a child and I have enjoyed reading the stories that Jacques wrote in correspondence with the recipes. Each recipe is directly out of the original books. Furthermore, they taste excellent--no tweaking of recipes required. Flipping through the pages, it is lovely to see the illustrations of Mossflower creatures too.
Julie
Mostly good recipes. A few times I had to reduce sugar or increase spices, but overall they are good recipes. I think our favorite is the Nunnymolers. The most pleasant surprise was the Applesnow. My husband was convinced it would be terrible and I was a little hesitant to make it too, but we both liked it.
Arrow Worthy
This book is delightful! Filled with all the recipes from the series that I've drooled over time & again, and now I can finally cook them. And the story that goes along with the recipes is so sweet and lovely, I almost cried when I reached the end.

A must have for any Redwall fan!
Hayley Farr
I think it should go to say something that this is the only cookbook I brought with me when I moved to San Francisco. This books is actually really awesome. All vegetarian food, all inspired by the food cooked in the Redwall series, ALL DELICIOUS.
Forestgyrl
I love this cook book :)
Kids and adults will love this Redwall based cookbook, all the recipes from the Redwall series is in here and they taste great. After reading it at my local library I bought one of my own. Got to love Amazon.com
Lena
Jan 29, 2008 Lena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
Recommended to Lena by: nobody recomended this book to me, i started reading the other
these are the best foods!!!!
we made a four corse or was it five corse meal with my cousins and we had a blast and the food was the best!
the story that goes along with it is so cute and the drawings the most darlingest!(is that a word?)
Rachel
Starts with a cute bit about kitchen safety. section for each season starts with a poem then a short story about the creatures of Redwall preparing for a seasonal feast with recipes for each of the dishes interspersed.
Angela
Aug 16, 2011 Angela added it
Shelves: own, cookbooks
I enjoyed the novels. As I collect cookbooks, I checked this out. The drawings and stories along with the seasonal delights reminiscent of the feasts in the novels are delightful. I will be purchasing this one.
Jen
Beautifully illustrated (of course) and full of vegetarian (and pescatarian) recipes that are easy to follow. Some may need a few spices add, but it's a great introduction to cooking for children.
Ashley Welkinawe
I bought this for my mom but it would be a great gift for any BJ fan. One of my favorite parts if his books is the descriptiom of the feasts. And the illustrations are so sweet.
Heather
i wouldn't buy it for the recipes, but if your kids are fans of the redwall books, it would be a cute addition to the home library
Kelly Peterson
I enjoyed it, but on the whole the recipes weren't always reflective of the dishes described in the books, which was disappointing.
Eliza
Oh does this ever exist. I intend to make YAF literature themed cookbooks for the rest of my life...starting with GOSSIP GIRLS!
  • Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • Roald Dahl's Even More Revolting Recipes
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Dr. Seuss
  • Serve it Forth: Cooking With Anne McCaffrey
  • Everything Alice: The Wonderland Book of Makes and Bakes
  • The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" - More Than 150 Recipes Inspired by the Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • The Meat Free Monday Cookbook
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Roald Dahl's Cookbook
  • The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen
  • A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be
  • The Remedy (Eyes of E'veria, #2)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...
Redwall (Redwall, #1) Mossflower (Redwall, #2) Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13) Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6) Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)