Start by marking “The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #16)

The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  151,118 Ratings  ·  4,504 Reviews
Mickey Haller is a Lincoln Lawyer, a criminal defense attorney who operates out of the backseat of his Lincoln Town Car, traveling between the far-flung courthouses of Los Angeles to defend clients of every kind. Bikers, con artists, drunk drivers, drug dealers -- they're all on Mickey Haller's client list. For him, the law is rarely about guilt or innocence, it's about ne ...more
Published 2005 by Little, Brown

To ask other readers questions about The Lincoln Lawyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lincoln Lawyer

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
36th out of 5,428 books — 12,239 voters
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichDeath on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Best Detective/Mystery Series
10th out of 1,489 books — 1,746 voters

More lists with this book...

Will M.
Jan 26, 2015 Will M. rated it it was amazing
I don't know where I will go or what cases will be mine. I just know I will be healed and ready to stand once again in the world without truth.

This is my very first 5-star rating of 2015. I've finally found a novel(in 2015) that entertained me throughout the novel. No slow moments anywhere, and the ending was superb. Characters were really likable and fully developed in the end. Mickey Haller is my favorite attorney, in novels at least.

This was my very first legal-crime novel, and I am ash
Bill  Kerwin
Jul 15, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it

A compulsively readable legal thriller about a cynical defense attorney who works out of his Lincoln town car (hence the title) and begins to believe he has finally found that most dreaded and improbable of all clients, an innocent man.

Although this novel has its share of darkness, it is much lighter in tone than Connelly's equally absorbing Harry Bosch detective novels. I found Mickey Haller's brash personality and breezy delivery an unexpected--and welcome--change.
Aug 04, 2009 jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
this is my michael connelly tally so far: i have read two harry bosch and two mickey haller. i barely remember the harry bosch. the mickey haller dug a hole in my mind. this is not how things should be. harry bosch is michael connelly's hero. harry and i, though, do not connect; mickey and i are two peas in a pod. if he were real, i would very much like to be friends with mickey, though i doubt he'd want to be friends with me -- not because he wouldn't like me, but because he's the loner type an ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
I postponed reading The Lincoln Lawyer because I thought it was going to be a courtroom drama with excessive infodumps and tedious pacing. Boy was I ever wrong. Fortunately, my wife had the foresight to spring it on me as part of our annual must-read agreement for 2015.

The law was a large, rusting machine that sucked up people and lives and money. I was just a mechanic. I had become expert at going into the machine and fixing things and extracting what I needed from it in return.

Don’t misunderst
Tea Jovanović
Ova knjiga me je oduševila dok sam je čitala još u rukopisu... Bolja mi je od Hari Boš serijala... :) A i film nije loš :)
Feb 05, 2015 Mara rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mara by: Dan 2.0, Richard
It's extra exciting when you read a book you enjoy and know that there's plenty more from whence it came (read: it's part of a series). Thus, I'm pretty darn pleased to have made the acquaintance of the eponymous Lincoln-riding lawyer, Mickey Haller.

Haller is a defense attorney of the “Better Call Saul” variety. Criminals need lawyers, and if their money's green… He's a likable guy—so likable, in fact, that neither of his ex-wives (prosecutor/baby mama Maggie McFierce, and super secretary
Oct 08, 2015 Rosie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mickey Haller is a defence attorney that basically works out of his car. Mickey doesn't particularly care if his client is innocent or guilty. He cares more about the money and fame a trial can bring him. This changes when he takes on Louis Roulet's case.

I found the story a bit slow to get into. At first I was often wondering when things would pick up. The beginning mainly introduces a lot of cases Haller has worked on and doesn't begin to get more interesting until about a third of the way thr
Jan 21, 2008 Tony rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to see how justice is preverted and served
Shelves: crime-fiction
"You're a sleazy defense lawyer with two ex-wifes and an eight-year-old daughter and we all love you."

That's not writing, it's a regurgitating a cliche, and this book is litter with them, like confetti at New Year's Eve. The trouble is that the over use of cliched speeches and actions obscure a page turner, a novel decked out with top flight characters and scenes place it on the top shelf of its genre. Overall, the book is worth reading, but you'll have to fight the cliche gag reflex at least a
Ok, ok...I may have watched the movie before reading this book. It could be my old age or the fact that I've been working my butt off lately, but I may have watched the movie twice BEFORE even thinking about reading this book.

What can I say I like lawyer movies, and I like movies starring Matthew McConaughey, and I like movies starring Mr. McConaughey as a lawyer. I enjoyed the twists and turns the story took and wasn't sure they'd be as interesting in a book.

The thing is that while the book do
James Thane
Apr 05, 2011 James Thane rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
This is the book in which Michael Connelly introduced Michael Haller, a lawyer who works out of an "office" in the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car as he navigates the various courtrooms that dot Los Angeles County. Connelly got the idea for the character in a chance meeting at a Dodgers baseball game when he sat next to an attorney who did exactly that.

Mickey Haller is a bright guy who works all of the angles. Mostly he represents drug dealers, prostitutes and other low-lifes, but except for t
Jul 11, 2015 Magdalena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Lincoln Lawyer" is a gripping, character driven thriller, full of twists and turns that kept me interested right till the end.
Haller is one of those characters that you cannot help but like. He is full of attitude, charisma and charm that allows him to use and manipulate the system just enough to make money and keep clients knocking on his door. With Haller it is not so much about justice as making the system work in your favour.
And then that one case lands in his lap, the case that makes
Sam Quixote
Sep 20, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
I got the idea to read this from Nicholson Baker's article against Amazon's Kindle device where he said he had to finish reading this on his Kindle (despite disliking doing so on such a shoddy device) because he had to know what happened in the end. I'm not predisposed toward legal/crime thrillers as I think they're a bit too melodramatic and sensationalist (I was thinking of John Grisham). However it's an unfair generalisation as I hadn't read any books from this genre. So I picked it up not ex ...more
Loved this book. It is a reread for me. I couldn't remember much of it since my copy is so old there is not even a cover picture for it on GR. lol. The first read was a few decades ago. The second time around was as good as the first time. Brilliant book: entertaining, high drama, court - thriller at its best. Believable and realistic. My kind of book.
May 10, 2011 Ed rated it really liked it
Great read. But I saw the movie first, then read the novel, a process that gave away some of the plot points. Oh well. The more hapless, fatalistic Mickey Haller in print differs from the cocky, slick attorney on the silver screen. So, I ended up liking the book more, although both make for first-rate entertainment. Mr. Connelly's writing is just so smooth, and I just flowed along with the story. I like that as a reader; I admire that as a writer. I'll be reading further in the series.
Cathy DuPont
Mar 26, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir-favorites
WOW! What a great read that was. Great plot; clear and interesting characters; action, something happening every page; twists and turns; did I say great plot?

To me it was one of the best books I've read in a long time and a first for me reading Michael Connelly. I've seen his name and books but never been too interested in the hyped and hightly marketed authors which I thought defined Connelly. I was just plain wrong. Connelly writes like I like and enjoy. He writes like a professional, clear a
Mike (the Paladin) I'm surprised. I like this book. I picked it up out of curiosity and frankly don't even recall what it was that caused me that curiosity. But, I've found a good book and plan to go on to the next in the series.

This book is about a man who in many ways is nothing like me. I don't like the kind of music he likes. I probably would never espouse the belief and "ethical" system he does (view spoiler). I do
Jun 25, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of Connelly's best books ever simply for Haller's characterization. He's a defense attorney who is all about the money at the start & that changes for a variety of reasons over the course of the book.

A: What's the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?
Q: One's a slimy scum-sucking bottom-dwelling scavenger; the other is a fish.

An old joke that's told several times. It's even used by Haller to great effect. I disliked him at the beginning of the book. By the end, I ca
Oct 14, 2011 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
It's been a very long time since I last read Michael Connelly. Way back
when he was virtually unknown I had somehow heard about him and loved
his first Harry Bosch novel The Black Echo. In fact, I still have a print of Hopper's famous Nighthawks on my wall, which I was inspired to buy because of that novel.

I continued to follow Bosch through a few more novels, and they began to pale for me somewhere around The Concrete Blond.

Then came a new character with The Poet, which was fantastic. There were
Val Pearson
Feb 24, 2011 Val Pearson rated it it was amazing
I chose to review the audio book and in my opinion, if you're going to read this book in any form, the audio book is the way to go. Narrated by Adam Grupper, a voice is given to Mickey Haller that is a perfect fit. Mr. Grupper transitions between characters in an eloquent and believable manner. His enunciation and the fluidity with which he speaks is simply mesmerizing. I could listen to that voice all day long.

Michael Connelly has taken The Lincoln Lawyer above and beyond most thrillers out th
Apr 05, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: saw-the-movie
Great book, but was disappointed in the movie.
Stephen King recommended book and author. He says: "The Lincoln in question is one of a fleet in which Mickey Haller rides while doing business on the sleazier side of L.A. law. What's amazing about Michael Connelly is how much he continues to learn about the art of narrative from book to book. Each one is better than the last. And this one is — pardon me — a real Cadillac."

12/14/11. Finally getting around to writing a short note about my impression of this book. Seems I've been getting in a lot
Aug 29, 2011 Apatt rated it it was amazing
Michael Connelly is my go-to guy for "mainstream" fiction (I read mainly sf/f) his twists and turns are often unpredictable, but more importantly his characterization is vivid and there is a lot of compassion and humanity in his books. The Lincoln Lawyer is as good as the best his Harry Bosch books, the protagonist Mickey Haller is believably flawed and yet likable. Read this book before you see the (quite good) movie version to get all the nuances that could not be filmed.
Aug 27, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As legal thrillers go this one is first-rate. It's a well-paced character driven story. The only regret that I have is that I had the movie tie-in version and had to look at Matthew McConaughey's movie star mug every time I picked up the book.
May 30, 2016 Naddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: courtroom
This is one of the book in which author doesn't spend much time or pages to set the plot, within 20 pages you are sure about the plot. The are certain books, where protagonist is portrayed as idealistic personality but not in Lincoln lawyer so this book sounds realistic. Also, very pertinent details not much of the time spent to explain the surroundings or buildings or just to add length. You will not feel like any page or chapter was added unnecessarily. Very fast and brilliantly written.

As th
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

Finally have the time to put my thoughts on this novel that introduces Michael Haller - the Lincoln lawyer - down. This was a very enjoyable, fast, and suspenseful; all trademarks of author, Michael Connelly. Some twists I was completely blindsided, and that is a very good thing. I enjoy this series, but my heart belongs to Harry Bosch - Haller's half brother.

Michael (Mickey) Haller is working out of his Lincoln Town car and has a fleet of them. He is getting by and waiting for that "fr
Bookmarks Magazine

The Lincoln Lawyer, a legal thriller, departs both in character and genre from Connelly's crime-fiction series starring Harry Bosch. As it turns out, Bosch and Haller are half brothers__a convenient device to link the novel to Connelly's popular series. Critics agree that his new character__a man who finds holes in the system to aid guilty clients and is forced to question his own moral code__is just as compelling as Bosch. In fact, notes The Oregonian, the novel "seduces us into rooting for a g

Michael Connelly's "The Lincoln Lawyer" is a terrific page-turner that serves us a palate of thrilling courtroom drama to be savoured. It is also a fitting introduction to the character of Mickey Haller, a defense attorney who, despite all his failings, is very much likeable. Despite having watched the movie starring Matthew McConaughey before, Connelly's storytelling ability held me in its sway right from start to end while helping me to understand the details of the case much better. All in al ...more
Sep 23, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books that I have read in the past few years. From the very first page, the reader can identify with Mickey, the protagonist, and what he has to go through to maintain his ambulance-chasing law practice and make a living.

Connelly has a taught thriller where the tension and the stakes are constantly going up. Mickey is a clever lawyer but sometimes too clever. His Golden Goose client turns out to be more than he had in mind.

Connelly shows that he is the master of the thri
Dec 07, 2014 Dagny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing read. I expected to enjoy it because I'm such a fan of Connelly's other books, but since most of my series reads are law enforcement personnel, private investigators or at least amateur sleuths, I wondered how gripping this legal thriller would be. I feared I might get bogged down in courtroom scenes and testimonies, but they were fascinating and the out-of-the-courtroom scenes were incredibly suspenseful. There are some great characters and I am looking forward to the next b ...more
Jun 11, 2016 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audiobook and I really enjoyed it. There were several times where I was on edge not knowing what was going to happen or how the good guy would possibly come out on top.

The reader of this audiobook was perfect. Perfect attitude and voice for the character.

I haven't read many court room drama type stories, but I think I'll look for some more after this. At least from this author to start with as it was an intriguing story. It also wasn't all in the court room, but the wh
Book or Movie; Yo...: June PR - The Lincoln Lawyer 2 4 Jul 05, 2016 04:58PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 5 12 Apr 14, 2016 05:10PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly 1 7 Nov 11, 2015 08:12AM
Hall ape’s address to use that 1 10 Jul 29, 2015 07:14AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #31 - The Lincoln Lawyer (Haller #1) 1 2 Feb 23, 2015 08:31AM
Is this a good book? 484 1196 Feb 07, 2015 03:12PM
Book or Movie; Yo...: October PR The Lincoln Lawyer 1 4 Oct 01, 2014 07:02PM
  • The Two Minute Rule
  • The Tin Roof Blowdown (Dave Robicheaux, #16)
  • Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #3)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Live Wire
  • Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4)
  • Drama City
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Mickey Haller (7 books)
  • The Brass Verdict (Harry Bosch, #14; Mickey Haller, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)
  • Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch, #15; Mickey Haller, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #18)
  • The Reversal (Harry Bosch, #16; Mickey Haller, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #19)
  • The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #5)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller, #6)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #20; Mickey Haller, #7; Harry Bosch Universe, #23)

There is no client as scary as an innocent man."

J. Michael Haller, Criminal Defense Attorney, Los Angeles, 1962.”
“I view people two ways. They're either eye-for-an-eye people or they are turn-the-cheek people.” 45 likes