Start by marking “Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered” as Want to Read:
Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered

Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered

Machaelle Small Wright is a spiritual pioneer with the profound ability to "see" and "hear" the invisible forces of nature.

Her personal story is one of triumph, from a childhood of torment and isolation to discovery of her ability to communicate with the world of nature spirits and devas.

At "Perelandra," her 45-acre private nature research center in Virginia, Machaelle d

Published July 1st 1998 by Perelandra, Limited (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered

Iona  Stewart
Jul 22, 2011 Iona Stewart rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago before I began to write reviews. Now Ive re-read the book in an updated and revised version.

The author begins with an account of her childhood, where she was neglected and eventually abandoned. Her mother, Dorothy, was a “disturbed” woman who became an alcoholic, while her father, Isodore, was always away on trips. Machelle had to lie about her age to find jobs in order to survive. Well, she must have learnt everything there is to know about self-reliance!

Machaelle arr
Bobbi Mcintyre
Mar 22, 2013 Bobbi Mcintyre rated it it was amazing
I read this book shortly after it was published. It literally fell off a bookstore shelf as I was pulling out another book. The title grabbed me and I ended up buying this one.

To say it changed my life is an understatement. First, Machaelle's courage and resilience in a difficult situation inspired me. Her creativity and willingness to do what it takes to survive made her into one of my heros. Second, her experience with nature hit me like a ton of bricks.

It opened my eyes and my heart. I bega
Annie Shaw
Jun 02, 2011 Annie Shaw rated it it was amazing
Even the name of this book pulls me in...Into a world that is so much more than we see.
While in part this is an autobiography of the woman who founded Perelandra in Culpeper County VA, the threads of how she began to work with nature intelligences in a highly practical and scientific manner (don't scoff at that statement unless you've read her detailed instructions that work) provide background to teaching how each of us can learn to work co-creatively with nature.
Yes, co-creation within a gar
Ingrid Foster
Mar 04, 2012 Ingrid Foster rated it it was ok
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the first part of this book. It was well written and compelling. I felt an instant kinship with the author. Unfortunately further in I had to discontinue my reading, allowing my copy of the book to sit on my coffee table for over a week before deciding to re-shelve the book.

I understand this is an account of Ms. Wright's own personal experiences, perhaps later in life I will be more open to her insight.
claire
Jul 28, 2008 claire rated it it was amazing
This may not be for everyone, but I enjoyed this book so much. It's the life story of the author and the transformations that she went through as a teenager with abusive/alcoholic parents. Her experiences led her to many unusual and astounding philosophies and ways of being in the world which I find fascinating. If you cringe at the term "new age," in any or all of it's forms, this one isn't for you.
Leilablair
Mar 07, 2010 Leilablair rated it it was amazing
Title says it all.
Traci
Dec 27, 2011 Traci rated it really liked it
There is a lot of beauty in this book...both the long first chapter where the author describes a pretty horrific childhood but is able to find the spiritual lessons for later strength in adulthood as well as her information about co-creative science at Perelandia. I also found so hoo-haw...emeralds are from Venus, animals are souls from another planet...but that comes with the territory. Overall it was a clearly written and gentle reminder about the energy in plants and the natural world around ...more
T.W. Fendley
Jul 29, 2011 T.W. Fendley rated it really liked it
Illuminating. This book is a gentle reminder (or acknowledgement)of the unseen forces surrounding us. I first learned about Perelandra in January from some new friends at the Monroe Institute, and was reminded of the healing properties recently (still looking into those). Synchronicity stepped in when another friend loaned me this book, which she bought years ago. The first part reads like a novel with the story of Wright's difficult childhood. She puts it in perspective beautifully. If you're a ...more
Fran
Jan 10, 2011 Fran is currently reading it
I found this book in a box while unpacking records and it had my Mom's name in it...apparently handed down and by the best book critic I know. I began it yesterday and already hate putting it down. Although it is a bit "new-agey", it touches on a lot of internal dialog which is something I lean toward. If you are looking to take a deeper look inside at what makes you tick, I might recommend this one...but be warned, I am only a short way in!
Maryanne
Behaving as if the God in all life Mattered 07072011 Machaelle Small Wright updated and revised 1997 from 1983
Crock of shit!!! Carrots sprout from seeds in seconds and rock move and are replaced for balance. Only out of balance thing is this lady's head. Wish there was more to it!!
Tina
Nov 02, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
Finally got around to reading this after yet another friend said I must. So I did. It gives me a little more insight into how some people think, and the biographical part was entertaining but I'm glad it's over. LOVE the title. Oh well.
tracey
Nov 25, 2008 tracey rated it really liked it
For the open-minded. The author co-creates gardens with nature spirits with amazing results. I read a lot of spiritual/New Age type books and she definitely holds her own in writing about the insights & experiences she's had.
Nikki  Hunt
May 12, 2013 Nikki Hunt rated it it was amazing
I found this book in a used bookstore up in Oregon this winter, and bought it for a friend. Instead I ended up starting it and couldn't put it down. I have been in waiting mode, preparing for a transition, and this book has helped me push through into a new place in life.
Joan Porte
May 06, 2015 Joan Porte rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if I buy everything that she says but it is a fascinating read with great exercises to get connected to the energy around us.
Janice Lane
Jan 05, 2012 Janice Lane rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and her story. She lives an unusual life, but is an inspiration to me and others about living consciously on and with the planet and her inhabitants. The title says it all.
Michelle
Oct 19, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and hearing her experience of being consciously connected to nature of all things and co-creative gardening.
Jen Lighty
Oct 17, 2007 Jen Lighty rated it it was amazing
This is another groundbreaking book for me that made me realize how much I limit my perceptions to what I have been conditioned to believe.
Mary
Oct 23, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
This will make you look at all life differently. This is a kind and gentle book definitely worth the read.
Sharon
Dec 31, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of us dream of a world filled with harmony and compassionate living and though I have a high tolerance for new age writing, this one fell off the deep end at times.
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Teresa Jackson
Teresa Jackson rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Joanna
Joanna rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Gail Tourville
Gail Tourville rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Terri Noftsger
Terri Noftsger rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Bry Willis
Bry Willis rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2013
Christina Shipano
Christina Shipano rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • Kinship with All Life
  • Native Science: Natural Laws of Interdependence
  • The Magic Of Findhorn
  • The Episcopal Handbook
  • Secrets of the Soil: New Solutions for Restoring Our Planet
  • Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health
  • Farmers of Forty Centuries: Organic Farming in China, Korea, and Japan
  • Hexcraft: Dutch Country Magick
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • Plant Spirit Shamanism: Traditional Techniques for Healing the Soul
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Kissing the Hag The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women
  • Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution
  • The Measure of Our Days: A Spiritual Exploration of Illness
  • Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want
  • The Only Way to Learn Astrology, Volume 1: Basic Principles
Machaelle Small Wright is a nature researcher, teacher, flower essence researcher and developer, and cofounder of Perelandra, a nature research centre in the Virginia countryside. Since 1976, she has been working directly with nature intelligences in a co-creative relationship.
More about Machaelle Small Wright...