Start by marking “Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered” as Want to Read:
Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered

Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Machaelle Small Wright is a spiritual pioneer with the profound ability to "see" and "hear" the invisible forces of nature.

Her personal story is one of triumph, from a childhood of torment and isolation to discovery of her ability to communicate with the world of nature spirits and devas.

At "Perelandra," her 45-acre private nature research center in Virginia, Machaelle d

Published July 1st 1998 by Perelandra, Limited (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered

Bobbi Mcintyre
I read this book shortly after it was published. It literally fell off a bookstore shelf as I was pulling out another book. The title grabbed me and I ended up buying this one.

To say it changed my life is an understatement. First, Machaelle's courage and resilience in a difficult situation inspired me. Her creativity and willingness to do what it takes to survive made her into one of my heros. Second, her experience with nature hit me like a ton of bricks.

It opened my eyes and my heart. I bega
Annie Shaw
Even the name of this book pulls me in...Into a world that is so much more than we see.
While in part this is an autobiography of the woman who founded Perelandra in Culpeper County VA, the threads of how she began to work with nature intelligences in a highly practical and scientific manner (don't scoff at that statement unless you've read her detailed instructions that work) provide background to teaching how each of us can learn to work co-creatively with nature.
Yes, co-creation within a gar
Ingrid
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the first part of this book. It was well written and compelling. I felt an instant kinship with the author. Unfortunately further in I had to discontinue my reading, allowing my copy of the book to sit on my coffee table for over a week before deciding to re-shelve the book.

I understand this is an account of Ms. Wright's own personal experiences, perhaps later in life I will be more open to her insight.
claire
This may not be for everyone, but I enjoyed this book so much. It's the life story of the author and the transformations that she went through as a teenager with abusive/alcoholic parents. Her experiences led her to many unusual and astounding philosophies and ways of being in the world which I find fascinating. If you cringe at the term "new age," in any or all of it's forms, this one isn't for you.
Leilablair
Title says it all.
Maryanne
Behaving as if the God in all life Mattered 07072011 Machaelle Small Wright updated and revised 1997 from 1983
Crock of shit!!! Carrots sprout from seeds in seconds and rock move and are replaced for balance. Only out of balance thing is this lady's head. Wish there was more to it!!
T.W. Fendley
Illuminating. This book is a gentle reminder (or acknowledgement)of the unseen forces surrounding us. I first learned about Perelandra in January from some new friends at the Monroe Institute, and was reminded of the healing properties recently (still looking into those). Synchronicity stepped in when another friend loaned me this book, which she bought years ago. The first part reads like a novel with the story of Wright's difficult childhood. She puts it in perspective beautifully. If you're a ...more
Traci
There is a lot of beauty in this book...both the long first chapter where the author describes a pretty horrific childhood but is able to find the spiritual lessons for later strength in adulthood as well as her information about co-creative science at Perelandia. I also found so hoo-haw...emeralds are from Venus, animals are souls from another planet...but that comes with the territory. Overall it was a clearly written and gentle reminder about the energy in plants and the natural world around ...more
Fran
Jan 10, 2011 Fran is currently reading it
I found this book in a box while unpacking records and it had my Mom's name in it...apparently handed down and by the best book critic I know. I began it yesterday and already hate putting it down. Although it is a bit "new-agey", it touches on a lot of internal dialog which is something I lean toward. If you are looking to take a deeper look inside at what makes you tick, I might recommend this one...but be warned, I am only a short way in!
Shannon
Sep 23, 2012 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Catherine Carlson
Recommended to Shannon by: Kathy Chambers
Shelves: metaphysics
This book sucked me in, and I couldn't put it down until it was finished. Machaelle had the most horrific childhood, and it shaped her into the person she became in adulthood. The experiences she had once she moved to Perelandra are nothing short of phenomenal. Now that I've read this, it's on to more of her books.
Sharon
Most of us dream of a world filled with harmony and compassionate living and though I have a high tolerance for new age writing, this one fell off the deep end at times.
Nikki  Hunt
I found this book in a used bookstore up in Oregon this winter, and bought it for a friend. Instead I ended up starting it and couldn't put it down. I have been in waiting mode, preparing for a transition, and this book has helped me push through into a new place in life.
Tina
Finally got around to reading this after yet another friend said I must. So I did. It gives me a little more insight into how some people think, and the biographical part was entertaining but I'm glad it's over. LOVE the title. Oh well.
tracey
For the open-minded. The author co-creates gardens with nature spirits with amazing results. I read a lot of spiritual/New Age type books and she definitely holds her own in writing about the insights & experiences she's had.
Janice Lane
Loved this book and her story. She lives an unusual life, but is an inspiration to me and others about living consciously on and with the planet and her inhabitants. The title says it all.
Jen Lighty
This is another groundbreaking book for me that made me realize how much I limit my perceptions to what I have been conditioned to believe.
Michelle
I loved this book and hearing her experience of being consciously connected to nature of all things and co-creative gardening.
Mary Dunn
This will make you look at all life differently. This is a kind and gentle book definitely worth the read.
Jan 12, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: sheri
AND read the Perelandra Wookbook: A Complete Guide to Gardening with nature Intelligences
Karen
wonderfully honest. Inspiring. Beyond the ordinary.
Gunvi Sund
Very inspiring.
A G
A G marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Janet
Janet added it
Dec 13, 2014
NatalieJane
NatalieJane is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2014
Lynne Pucci
Lynne Pucci marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • The Secret Life of Plants: A fascinating account of the physical, emotional, and spiritual relations between plants and man
  • Kinship with All Life
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Finding Freedom: Writings from Death Row
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • Farmers of Forty Centuries: Organic Farming in China, Korea, and Japan
  • Hexcraft: Dutch Country Magick
  • Kissing The Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms: Who and What You See Before You Die
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • Seven Life Lessons of Chaos: Spiritual Wisdom from the Science of Change
  • Plant Spirit Shamanism: Traditional Techniques for Healing the Soul
  • Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want
  • Meditation: Achieving Inner Peace and Tranquility In Your Life
  • Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, Nutrasweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health
  • Biology Of Transcendence
Machaelle Small Wright is a nature researcher, teacher, flower essence researcher and developer, and cofounder of Perelandra, a nature research centre in the Virginia countryside. Since 1976, she has been working directly with nature intelligences in a co-creative relationship.
More about Machaelle Small Wright...
MAP: The Co-Creative White Brotherhood Medical Assistance Program Dancing in the Shadows of the Moon Perelandra Garden Workbook: A Complete Guide to Gardening with Nature Intelligences Perelandra Garden Workbook II: Co-Creative Energy Processes for Gardening, Agriculture and Life Co-Creative Science: A Revolution in Science Providing Real Solutions for Today's Health & Environment