The Bravest Man: Richard O'Kane and the Amazing Submarine Adventures of the USS Tang

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  11 reviews
“There’s no margin for mistakes in submarines. You’re either alive or dead.”
–Richard O’Kane

Hailed as the ace of aces, captain Richard O’Kane, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor for his consummate skill and heroism as a submarine skipper, sank more enemy ships and saved more downed fliers than anyone else.

Now Pulitzer Prize—winning author William Tuohy captures all...more
Published March 4th 2009 by Presidio Press (first published June 27th 2001)

Eric_W
O’Kane, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, learned many of his aggressive tactics from his time as exec on the Wahoo under the command of Dudley “Mush” Morgan. Morgan did all sorts of things that most commanders considered fool-hardy including steaming on the surface during daylight when within flying distance of Japanese bases. Everyone else remained submerged during daylight, hunting only at night. He also had the temerity to define “reconnoiter” as going right into an enemy held harb...more
Dan
This is the third book about or by Richard O'Kane I have read. It really is a book about leadership and the ability to get the most out of the people you work for or with. Some of the attitudes toward the enemy seem harsh but these men knew that losing was not an option. Thank God there were men like this to save us from the evil of facism. It is a very interesting read though not superior to the two books written by O'Kane himself.
Del Simmons
Awesome narrative history of life on a submarine in the Battle for the Pacific in WW2. Awesome story about an awesome man!
P.e.
A good WWII two book about subs, which I had never read about before. I was very impressed not only by there service but the amount of damage they did to transport ships. Which actually was huge. The man the book was about. Richard O'Kane , was the skipper with the most kills. This book was not just about him but the sub Fleet as a whole good and bad, from top to bottom. A very telling story that is still going on today with men in Washington. People with there own agendas. Then there are those...more
A Smith
An absolute must read if you want to have an amazing experience being aboard a highly advanced WWII attack submarine.

I can't suggest this book enough.
Scott Griffin
I have always enjoyed books and movies on submarines. I loved both the book and movie of The Hunt for Red October. Having read The Greatest American Hero...it makes Red October appear tame...and this story was for real. If you are into WW II, this helps us understand the critical role of "The Silent Service".
Debbie
I love World War II history books, and this is one of the best and most interesting I have ever read. It is fascinating to learn how life aboard a submarine was lived, and how they fought the war. Highly recommended.
William Matthies
I've read countless WWII books but only this one regarding the silent service. A great read whether or not you're interested in war books.
Tony Taylor
Very good book about WWII submarine operations.
David Perrin
Great read for the WWII submarine fan.
Jeff
Clearly they were the Greatest Generation!
Brian Anderson
Brian Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Matthew Kadow
Matthew Kadow is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Robert Hellie
Robert Hellie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Garry R.
Garry R. marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William, or Bill, Tuohy was a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author who, for most of his career, was a foreign correspondent for the Los Angeles Times.
More about William Tuohy...
America's Fighting Admirals: Winning the War at Sea in World War II Dangerous company: Inside the World's Hottest Trouble Spots with a Pulitzer Prize-Winning War Correspondent Spring Comes Running Love journey into America