Start by marking “From Head to Toe” as Want to Read:

Are you ready?
Here we go!
Move yourself
From Head to Toe

I can do it! That's what kids will say when they wiggle, stomp, thump, and bend across the pages of this book. Laughter and squeals of delight will abound as boys and girls (and their elders, too!) participate in the action.
Published May 29th 2007 by HarperFestival (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about From Head to Toe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Head to Toe

Dianne
Jan 16, 2011 Dianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Anyone who reads a lot of Eric Carle's books cannot fail to notice that there is a hierarchy of things that turn Carle on:

1. Animals. Carle obviously adores animals.
2. Fabrics. Carle loves texture and pattern.
3. Human hair. His hair is somewhat less pleasing than his fabrics

And then somewhere, way, way down at the bottom of the hierarchy comes "Human face and figure." It is always jarring to me to compare his beautifully articulated animals that practically roar and pop off the page with his blo
Margaret Chind
Read from the HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics . I prefer Carle's other books, but it is a fun lead in to singing. This is one my daughter can "read" alone after only a time or two of reading and she loves to do the actions as well, it's a pretty good get up and play story.

-- Added board book to our shelves. 3/10/13
Annette Taylor-james
Jul 01, 2014 Annette Taylor-james rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-reads
This is a very interactive book so this is not for circle time if you want them to sit. The children love to be real silly with the actions in this book mimicking what they can do from head to toe; funny indeed.
Ashley
Jan 28, 2017 Ashley rated it really liked it
I read this book as a part of the picture book challenge I am participating in on my blog. One of the categories was to read a book that is a book by Eric Carle so I decided to choose this book. If you're interested in the picture book categories I'll be reading from as part of the challenge be sure to check out the link here: 2017 Challenges.

After reading so much Eric Carle last year, I was happy to find that I still enjoyed his works and this one in particular. I was definitely fooled by the c
Allie
Oct 13, 2015 Allie added it
Title: From Head to Toe
Author: Eric Carle
Genre: Predictable Book
Theme(s): Body movements, body parts, abilities, repetition, animals
Opening line/sentence: I am a penguin and I can turn my head. Can you do it?
Brief Book Summary:
I am a penguin and I can turn my head. Can you do it?
In this classic Eric Carle book, he depicts animals teaching children how to do simple movements with their bodies. Each time a child is able to copy the animal they say with joy, “I can do it!”
Professional Recommendati
Shante' Polite
Title: From Head to Toe
Author: Eric Carle
Publisher and Date: HarperFestival, 1999

Annalisa
Eric Carle's book "From head to toe" is a fantastic book! The large, colorful pictures and the simple, clear text keep children bending and stretching right along with the animals! Each page of this book has a different animal moving a different body part and a picture of a kid doing the same thing. The kids can imitate you doing the movement, or some kids will even look at the picture and copy the animal or kid. Some of the pictures are more fun than others. My son especially like the gorilla, ...more
Sally Todd
May 04, 2012 Sally Todd rated it really liked it
Eric Carle delivers another imaginative reading book to introduce the different parts of the body to children. The book allows creativity amongst children, whilst pointing at the various body parts – ‘I am a camel and I bend my knees. Can you do it?’ The main emphasis of the book is about movement – and I can see it being used in initial warm up exercises in lower key stage one P.E lessons. The book will engage children because of its interactive nature of the story.
SaraLaLa
Jul 30, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Pretty much a standard Eric Carl book. It provides a good list of a variety of animals and verbs. The thing I like about it is that it almost invites the reader to participate in the activities the characters are doing.
Jewel
Oct 10, 2016 Jewel rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-the-kids
Any thing that gets my kid moving is good
Lauren
Good book to get the kids participating through movement.
Ragan Rogers
Feb 07, 2017 Ragan Rogers rated it liked it
Summary: The entire book is very repetitive. On each page, it showcases a child and an animal. The animal is doing something, such as the cat arching its back, and the children realizes that he/ she can do the same thing. At the end, it shows a child wiggling his toes and the bird mimicking his actions, which shows the reversal of roles.

Themes: The theme I gathered from this book was that even though we are all different, we are not as different as we seem.

Personal Responses: This book resonate
Guided Reading: D
Type of Book: Emergent Reader Book
Age Range: 4-8
Grade Level: Prek-2nd

Eric Carle continues to engage us as we read his books. This story invites children to act along with each animal as they make a movement and mimic their movements.
This would be a great book to teach students that they can do anything they put their minds to. I don't see any potential problem
Kimberly Harris
This is another book that first my middle child had me read to her every day, and now my newest addition requires me to read to her every day. The fun in this book is not reading it sitting down, but standing up and doing the motions along with the animals who ask the child if they also can do it.

I love that this combines getting the wiggles out and controlled movement AND book reading!

This book and the book Going on a Bear Hunt are some of the most loved and worn out books in the household.
Nora Ramirez
Feb 06, 2017 Nora Ramirez rated it it was amazing
I did like this book because children love to read or listen to a book that has body movement. The pictures are great, and they are easy for children to copy the movements. They are able to see different animals and how they move. During reading time we can talk about animals, the different movements, and colors.

I think children would respond with excitement to this book. While reading this book, I would read it first. Then, I would demonstrate the movement the animals do. (Can you do it? I can
Shannon
Feb 23, 2017 Shannon rated it really liked it
A fun, simple book that would be great to get kids moving during storytime! Just make sure they have a lot of room, as some of actions could cause some trouble (the donkey kick in particular). Carle's illustrations tend to be instant hits with kids and they can have fun showing off what they can do while they read!
Marcie Master
Dec 06, 2016 Marcie Master rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is a very interactive book so it would not really be for circle time if you want the kids to sit. The children might love to be real silly with the actions in this book mimicking what they can do from head to toe. Could be funny.
Cara
Mar 20, 2017 Cara rated it really liked it
A cute book with wonderful illustrations about animals and humans having the ability to do the same thing. It makes them more relatable for little kids. My son enjoyed it and liked all of the different animals.
Molly
Mar 06, 2017 Molly rated it it was amazing
This classic picture book encourages the reader to mimic the actions of various animals. It had my storytime kids laughing and doing the actions along with the story. It was very fun to use.
Matthew
Dec 16, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll read an Eric Carle book anyday.
Suzannah Cooper
Oct 13, 2016 Suzannah Cooper rated it it was amazing
As well as having beautiful illustrations this book would be wonderful for EYFS or KS1 in reading aloud due to the repeated refrains. Would be nice to include some drama, getting pupils to act out the actions along with the animals.
Alex Wingrove
Oct 04, 2016 Alex Wingrove rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book goes through the different parts of the body, using different animals. It starts out with a penguin saying he can turn his head, asking the boy if he could do it too. The boy says he can do it. It goes through a bunch of different animals, working its way down the rest of the body from head to toe.
I thought this was really cute. The illustrations were incredible, very colorful.
I thought this was a cute way for kids to learn about the capabilities of their bodies. It would be good to r
Chelsea Kirkland
-Did for a PreK class visit (@ a bilingual school)- 3/8/17. Kids really did follow along with the movements, but didn't get too into saying "claro que si". Maybe once we read it a few times they'll get used to it?
Lexi Beaver
Sep 13, 2016 Lexi Beaver rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
This is a really great book that can be interactive in an awesome way! Each page introduces a new animal, and what they can do, and then poses the same question, and that is "Can you do it?" and then the child on the page beside the animal performing the same task, replying with "I can do it!"

I wouldn't mind starting out the day with my classroom using a book like this if I felt like some children had some extra energy they needed to get out, or it could be a book that is used to get their blood
Maryann
Sep 20, 2012 Maryann rated it it was amazing
Summary:

From Head to Toe, by Eric Carle, discusses all the different actions animals and people alike can do. For example, “I am a gorilla and I thump my chest. Can you do it?” and on the next page the child responds, “I can do it!” The story goes on to show different animals such as; a cat, penguin, monkey and giraffe all doing things and the child on the next page mimicking them. Just as a monkey can wave its arms, a child can too; and just as a giraffe can bend its neck, a child can too!

Resp
Abby Huhe
This Eric Carle book was a great book. It taught kids about different animals and their body parts. The pictures are so fun.
Darby Keffeler
This week with the theme of picture books I collected as many as I could from when I was little that I loved which happened to be Eric Carle books. I loved these books when I was younger I think mostly because of the pictures and visual elements. They are so different from classic children's books that they stick out because of their unique qualities. From Head to Toe specifically is a good one because I think it is very underrated. Everyone I feel knows a very hungry caterpillar and Brown Bear ...more
Courtney Williams
Oct 21, 2015 Courtney Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beginning-books
This book is about how a variety of animals move in a variety of ways. Each animal is always followed by a child copying them. The characters of the various animals and the various children show that everybody can do the same thing, no matter how different they are. The writing style of the book contains words that are easy for the children to read. Also, the text repeats during the book. The illustrations are very colorful images that consist of an animal and a child. They are drawn to show tha ...more
Brittany Perry
Mar 20, 2013 Brittany Perry rated it it was amazing
From Head to Toe by Carle, E.

Summary

The story From Head to Toe is a book all about comparing different body movements with humans and animals. Every time the animal asks the human if they can move something on their body the human says “I can do that!”. They go through twelve different body parts.

Response

I love this book From Head to Toe by Eric Carle. I gave this book five stars. The illustrations are my favorite because they are so distinct .I can always tell what an Eric Carle illustration
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Clip-Clop
  • Here Are My Hands
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Jump!
  • Pouch!
  • Tuck Me In!
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Clap Your Hands
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Where is the Green Sheep?
  • Big Fat Hen
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...