Start by marking “Viking: The Long Cold Fire (Vol.1)” as Want to Read:
Viking: The Long Cold Fire (Vol.1)

Viking: The Long Cold Fire (Vol.1)

The most violent criminal underworld in history! Finn and Egil, brothers -- one bad, one worse -- are trying to stab and steal their way to a seat at the table. Two men at war with the world around them. But today's the day the world fights back! From the writer of The Cross Bronx comes a crime book for the 9th Century.
Published January 4th 2011 by Image Comics (first published February 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Viking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viking

Jan Philipzig
Whoa... where did this come from?!? I've never even heard of Ivan Brandon or Nic Klein, and the concept behind their short-lived Viking series sounds like it should be doomed to fail no matter who the creators are: Viking Age period piece meets not-always-easy-to-decipher painterly artwork meets disjointed organized-crime plot meets random off-the-wall weirdness meets abstract meditation on the medieval mindset meets blood-spattered exploitation... My head is spinning! Yet somehow all the pieces ...more
Sam Quixote
Oct 19, 2015 Sam Quixote rated it it was ok
It’s viking times and a buncha vikings are sat around eating meat. A coupla vikings rock up and kill some vikings. Smash cut to a family of vikings fishing with a horse’s head. Smash cut to a viking king with his viking daughter. Some bad stuff happens to the viking fishermen, the viking king falls out with his viking daughter. More vikings are slaughtered. That’s about it! The book is called Viking, Volume 1.

Notice I didn’t use any names because I can’t recall any - the characters are that ind
Frédéric
Aug 29, 2015 Frédéric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, medieval
If someone figured what this was about please let me know. Two mean-ass punk vikings kill guys for reasons unknown. Their little brother is killed in return (at least I think so) so they kidnap the king's daughter, a move whose logic kinda eludes me. Or maybe I read it wrong. Don't know, don't care.
It's poorly and cryptically written, with terrible dialogues. The main characters are despicable with no charisma whatsoever so I just can't get interested in whatever happens to them. There should b
Tyler
Oct 16, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wicked book. The art especially stood out. If there's not more of this, WHY?!
Mark Desrosiers
Jun 27, 2011 Mark Desrosiers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This opens with a hapless constipated viking inviting his own murder by whining about his nether troubles ("I make sounds, but nothing falls from me"), then explodes into abrupt violence, then cuts randomly to a fierce Shel-Silverstein looking king trying to man up his court. Things go on this way -- one strange/blood-spattered/beautiful scene cutting off another with little continuity -- and you've entered what seems to be a myth, a disjointed tale with obvious importance, wisdom to impart. For ...more
Peter Strange
Feb 27, 2015 Peter Strange rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
My blog: https://mycomicopinion.wordpress.com/...

La Cosmo sta tirando fuori dei veri pezzi da 90. Devo dirlo. L’ho scoperta da poco ma già l’amo. Fedelissimo lettore della collana West ( da un seguace di Tex che vi aspettate), sto iniziando a leggere molte o forse quasi tutte le loro testate che in genere si risolvono nell’arco di vari volumi. Partiamo da un assunto semplice: A me Viking non è piaciuto. Ripeto , a me non è piaciuto. Perchè sono io, semplice. Mai stato amante della mitologia norr
Jaimie
Aug 23, 2014 Jaimie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Where Nothlanders is all abotu characters, plot, and historical themes, this Viking graphic novel relies almost entirely on the quality of the artwork for its success. Each page is lushly saturated with colour (both the reds of battle and the greens of the scenery are good places to draw from), but the artists's style is painterly to the point of becoming difficult to track characters throughout the plot. It doesn't help that the story jumps around so much that you're never quite sure which char ...more
Miguel
Sep 01, 2013 Miguel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book which starts with a dude constipated can't be good.
Now, seriously, it starts all messy, narrative wise and with an art which is nothing sequential. It then gets better, ever so slowly, but it escalates into some sort of mortality tale, very boring, and while this is a personal taste, I don't like Klein's art at all. Some saving grace with the characters' ambiguity, which is always a plus in this binary world/media.
Karen
Jan 12, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
I had trouble getting into this; the dialog is so sparse and the cuts between scenes so frequent that it was hard for me to follow the story or connect with any of the characters. I never quite sorted out who was in who in some cases. Then it just sort of ended, rather than being resolved or cliffhung. There were some interesting images, at least.
Mayank Agarwal
Jan 16, 2013 Mayank Agarwal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, military-war
The Storytelling took time getting used to, it was random, confusing without continuity. Ones you get the hang of it, you realize the beauty of it. The Characters were powerful, Art superb. Ending was very disappointing as its left the plot in middle...the author must have scrapped the project.
Tom
May 11, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Great art with a good representation of the vikings. Good story too but can get a bit confusing due to the speech bubble organization. The main characters are enjoyable but randomly violent. This theme continues through their meeting of others and but other than that there isn't much of a story.
Brian
Feb 04, 2014 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-completed
Much like Northlanders, it's a neat Viking story but I'm left a little hollow. Maybe the story is a little too simple or the characters just a little thin. It was good, but not great.

Great art, though.
Jocelyn Koehler
Jul 31, 2013 Jocelyn Koehler rated it really liked it
Lots of surface parallels to the Northlanders series, but this is its own story with a distinctly grim but compelling mood. Love the Egil/Finn relationship in terms of the brothers' personalities. Really felt like these authors get the mindset of the time & place. Can't wait to read the next trade.
M.A. Ray
I liked the story a lot. Rough and bloody. The art was difficult for my eyes to parse, but nevertheless, fit the writing. I'd be interested in more.
Todd Johnson
The art is strong, but the story and story telling leave a lot to be desired. The story ends with a thud and overall, felt like it was produced to fill out the artist's portfolio.
Berna Labourdette
Berna Labourdette rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2014
Lucas Harbolt
Lucas Harbolt rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Ines
Ines rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
James Schmidt
James Schmidt rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Bob Holt
Bob Holt rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Máté Krisztián
Máté Krisztián rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Macnutty
Macnutty rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Angel Hristov
Angel Hristov rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2017
Fre
Fre rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2010
AmirCat
AmirCat rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2013
kristian e dunn
kristian e dunn rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2017
Miguel
Miguel rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Scott Schmidt
Scott Schmidt rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012