Start by marking “A Mighty Fortress” as Want to Read:
A Mighty Fortress

A Mighty Fortress (Safehold #4)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  4,469 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
In David Weber's A Might Fortress, young Cayleb Ahrmahk has accomplished things few people could even dream of. Not yet even thirty years old, he’s won the most crushing naval victories in human history. He’s smashed a hostile alliance of no less than five princedoms and won the hand of the beautiful young Queen Sharleyan of Chisholm. Cayleb and Sharleyan have created the ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 13th 2010 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Mighty Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mighty Fortress

Chris Perrin
Jan 17, 2011 Chris Perrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am of two minds on this book. Let's start with the good.

Let me say with no hesitation that had I never read any Honor Harrington books, I would be the Safehold series' biggest fan. It has action, politics, characters to cheer for, villians who are villians not because they are eeeevil, but because they have a different (though understandable) viewpoint.

So, if you haven't read Honor Harrington, stop readig this review right now and go buy the entire Safehold series.

Sadly, I have read pretty muc
Group_Captain_Lionel_Mandrake
A lot of talky-talk, very little plot. Talk about sound and fury signifying nothing! Geez, Weber get on with the story, already. Too many characters. How come every other word is spelled properly EXCEPT for characters names? Would it have been asking too much for Zhamsyn Clyntahn to be Jamison Clinton or Hauwered Wylsyn to be Howard Wilson? For Pete's sake it is hard enough to break through 800 some odd pages of this book to get to the other side, and to have to pay a bunch of money for it, but ...more
Louis
In this book Weber continues the Safehold series where he is able to go back to the ship battles of old. The problem is that in this book he is dealing more with the description of the politics than in the action. Basically the balance is way off. Part of the problem is the increased number of people that are being tracked. In the past books in the series, he dealt with four of five players as they interacted with secondary ones (even if in some cases those secondaries were more important in the ...more
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Safehold military science fiction series that blends high tech with early 19th century weapons. It's a war of David and Goliath proportions pitting the valiant Empire of Charis against the might and power of a corrupt Church.

My Take
It's all so reasonable with Green Valley thrilled to be blending his marines with the Chisholmian army — their soldiers have taken Green Valley's tactical ideas and absorbed and improved them. Cayleb is insisting that Chisholmians are treated exactly the
Jeffrey
Apr 27, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If your into the series only
Shelves: read-in-2010
Boring. Two little plot advancement, too little science, a lot of talking. Feels like the last few Weber books in the Honor Harrington series, and I do not mean that in a good way.

Weber devotes a lot of time to discussing the bad guys and their strategy. He also devotes a lot of time to the Prime Directive. In other words, how much do we tell the natives about the powerful Merlin in their midst. Lost in this 600 pages is the original story of how Merlin advances science.

Now the only seeming scie
Guy
Overlong given the paucity of plot advancement and character development, frankly the book could have used a rigorous edit. By this time in the series we know most of the major characters and the issues they are wrestling with well enough so as not to need additional detailed exposés of what they think and why they do and don't do things and what the implications of minor events are. Weber would be well-advised to concentrate on advancing the plot while providing detailed exposition only of the ...more
Johnny
Jan 18, 2016 Johnny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Although the title of this fourth book in the fabulous Armageddon’s Reef series doesn’t mean exactly what Martin Luther meant when he penned that poem/hymn in our world, A Mighty Fortress is an appropriate title for a work that brilliantly weaves science-fiction concepts and background into a world where a parallel Reformation (and in this volume, Counter-Reformation) is occurring. I sometimes read fiction for pure escape value, but this series both deepens my real faith and helps me reflect on ...more
Alistair
This is the fourth book in what must turn out to be a never ending series of "Safehold" novels from Weber. The size and scope of the Safehold world and the increasing cast of charaters introduced by Weber, and the authors own sometimes cumbersome writing style (why use one word when you can use three) insurers that this book at over 700 pages does not move the overall plot along very much.

This is the problem, I am not sure at this point what the end game is in this series of books....is it the o
Shannon
Sep 29, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEWARE: I DON'T THINK I PUT IN SPOILERS, BUT SINCE I'M A BIT HAZY AS TO WHAT THEY ARE, I MIGHT BE WRONG!
This is the 4th book in the saga. So much to like about it, but some stuff that gets in the way of rapture. For an Honor Harrington fan, it does not disappoint. Whereas the Honorverse deals in political ideological themes attached to a kind of female Horatio Hornblower in space, the Safeholdian universe deals in another version of grand mariner saga, only this time, the ideological themes rel
Lindsay Stares
Sep 20, 2010 Lindsay Stares rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series seriously needs a “Last Time, On Safehold...” prologue. I'm not going to re-read, or even re-skim, one or more additional 600-plus page doorstops to reorient myself in preparation for reading this one. This is part four, incidentally, of what seems to now be shaping up to be Arthurian motifs plus Protestant Reformation plus Industrial Revolution plus Interminable Boring Warfare, In Space.

After the action pace of By Heresies Distressed, A Mighty Fortress felt like filler. Not much hap
Elizabeth Galewski
Why do I read these Safehold books?!?! Unlike the Honor Harrington series, in which Weber held me rapt with an increasingly complicated and humanized protagonist, these books feature a robot who doesn't evolve or grow. And I often get the sense that nothing much actually happens in a given volume of this series. Yet I still tend to queue the next one up when I'm done with the last. And at times, I even act as though I am addicted to them.

Perhaps I just like the violent battle scenes. These are u
Roger
Sep 16, 2015 Roger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should have been the kind of story I enjoy....but after way too many chapters, the character development left no characters one could care about at all.
Child960801
May 28, 2015 Child960801 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
The series continues. Things happen. There is a conversation in this book between two named female characters and it isn't about a man. There might even be two in this book.
D.w.
Sep 06, 2015 D.w. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Having just read the first book in the Manticore Ascendant sequence, turning to Weber's sole work shows once again how clearly the writer is floundering. The other with a co-writer who obviously did the lion's share, show where Weber's faults come out.

There were perhaps two subplots in this story that were interesting. The pacification of Corisande and the successful fleeing from the Gang of Four of the persecuted families. (There, Spoilers for the only good and complete parts of the book)

Otherw
John
Sep 17, 2010 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I like a lot of what DW does, but the editing on this one is terrible. Corisande and Charis are not the same place, and there were several other places where names did not get cleaned up properly.

Also this series is getting bogged down in moving the fleets and the plot from place to place. The world would be just as enjoyable, or actually more enjoyable to read about if it were about half as large as it seems to be.

Some great ideas, but this story needs to speed up or end.
Norman Howe
Book 4 in the Safehold series.Mother Church has declared Holy War against the Charisian Empire"," excommunicating its leaders and people"," and building a huge fleet of galleons to crush its navy. The only thing standing in the Church's way is the Imperial Navy – outnumbered"," but not outgunned. Because Charis has one tremendous technological advantage: Merlin Athrawes"," the android avatar of a woman 900 years dead"," from a planet called Earth. Merlin knows the truth about Mother Church"," an ...more
Emily Karn
Oct 22, 2014 Emily Karn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi/Military Fans
Not yet thirty years old, young Cayleb Ahrmahk has accomplished things few people could even dream of. He's smashed a hostile alliance of five princedoms and won the hand of the beautiful Queen Sharelyan of Chisolm, toghether they have created the Charisian Empire, the greatest naval power in the history of Safehold, and they've turned Charis into a place of refuge for all who treasure freedom.

But their success may prove short-lived. the clique that controls the Church of God Awaiting, and throu
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Oct 13, 2015 Wilson E. Stevens Sr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is the second time I have read this book. I am impressed by the detail of sailing ships he has covered. He has to many characters to keep track of, to many places, and uses words I have to look up in my dictionary as they are out of use words for nautical terms, and old English 1800 terms not longer used. Overall the book is a good read if you can wade through his determination to show his knowledge of the sailing ships on our sea's in the 1700's and 1800's.

Another area of interest is his h
Charles
Jul 23, 2016 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4th book in the Safehold series is actually continuing a good tradition that David Weber has started with the other 3. We are finally seeing some innovation and intelligent/wily enemies against the Charisian Empire, which is honestly been sorely needed.

With all the advantages the Merlin provides, it could honestly start to get a bit dull reading about never-ending Charis/Chisholm triumphs. That takes a while since there are so many decent people you hear about on the side of Charis that you'
Scott Holstad
Aug 25, 2015 Scott Holstad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh.My.God. I can't believe I finally finished this near-1200 page monster of a book! It was brutal at times. I usually try to write complete or thorough reviews after reading a book, but I'm afraid I won't for this one. Just too damn long, too damn much. So, a short review for a long book.

This is the fourth book in Weber's Safehold series. It's not a standalone book. You need to start with the first one and read them in order to know what's going on and who's who. In this book, the Empire of Cha
Clyde
Mar 31, 2015 Clyde rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2015
The Safehold adventure continues in A Mighty Fortress. It is an interesting story and I do want to know what happens in the Safehold universe. But, IMHO this book is too long and has way too many data dumps. I am sure I would have enjoyed the story more had it been sweated down to around 60% of its published length.
That said, I will continue the series.
But what about the story? Well, there is a lot of politics and some action. There are various bad folks whose heads we get into -- some are reall
Heinz Reinhardt
First of all, a three star review is not a bad review, though, granted, it is not four or five stars. SO let me just say that I did like this book, just not nearly as well as the other three in the series I have, thus far, read.
This volume in David Weber's Safehold series is all about foreshadowing and building up to a crescendo that will be played over the next couple of volumes. As such this book, the largest in the series, is largely political meetings, strategizing sessions, and watching th
Nathan
Apr 06, 2015 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was better than some of the previous ones in the series. For my tastes in casual reading, it has too many side characters - there must be close to a hundred different POV characters in this book, and it's sometimes like listening to them all argue among themselves.

I think the characters are a little less two-dimensional, which was sorely needed. Some of the antagonist group developed personalities larger than "I'm a bad guy", even if they weren't entirely believable. The protag
Robert Scott
What a marvelous series. Weber has done it again. The undeclared war between the Church of God Awaiting and the Empire of Charis has been ongoing, but now is officially a Holy War declared by the Group of Four, the vicars controlling everything about the Church. There are a lot of heroics as well as betrayals and atrocities in this novel. Blockades prove effective. Privateers intercept shipping. Sea battles are fought both before and after the Church's ship building program reaches most of its g ...more
Joe Santoro
I actually had a real hard time getting into to this installment.. there were alot of new side plots and minor characters introduced that, to be honest, I probably could have survived without knowing... I think the criticisms that Weber tries to do a little too much and give a few too many details.

Once he gets back to the main threads (a little less than 1/2 way through) it's alot better.. though the big naval fight at the end really got short shift, which was a little disappointing.

I'm still o
Michael
Mar 01, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really been enjoying this entire series and the action in this volume, especially the ending, did not disappoint. This book continues to demonstrate Mr Weber's skill at creating a world and characters and situations that are totally believable. In addition to the great action he gives a great deal of insight into all the characters' thought processes that drive the action forward. Unfortunately to much of the stuff that makes this such a good book stop it from being a great book. A little ...more
Jaye
Aug 21, 2015 Jaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had to bone up on my nautical history for this series, because despite growing up in a Navy town, my knowledge of the Age of Sail is mostly limited to the movies. It's been educational, which I suppose is a good thing. Merlin continues to inspire a Renaissance of sorts, and the Church of God Awaiting continues to conspire to keep everyone in the dark for all eternity. There are some stirring naval battles here, and they're not all one-sided against the Church this time around.

At the rate th
Christopher
Jan 02, 2016 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come! :D
Wes
Feb 09, 2016 Wes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weber's books have gotten progressively more difficult to wade through, getting bogged down with excessive attention to political minutia. And this is quite disappointing. It used to be that reading a Weber book would make you tired the next day, since reading "just one more chapter" would often lead to reading for another heart racing hour.

Sadly, this is not the case with AMF. There are literally HUNDREDS of pages that could be cut from this book without any loss of comprehension or cohesion. A
Brett Thomasson
David Weber has a knack for creating wonderful places for his authorial imagination to play in. The praises of the Honorverse, home of the galaxy's best, brightest and bravest Hornblower-ette, Honor Harrington, have been sung before in this space. Weber's other main series these days is set on a world called Safehold, in which the last remnants of humanity cling to life following their near extinction.

In the series' first book Off Armageddon Reef, humans are in the last stages of their war again
David Weber's Saf...: Safehold Steamships 1 2 Aug 06, 2012 02:57PM
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Safehold (8 books)
  • Off Armageddon Reef (Safehold, #1)
  • By Schism Rent Asunder (Safehold, #2)
  • By Heresies Distressed (Safehold, #3)
  • How Firm a Foundation (Safehold, #5)
  • Midst Toil and Tribulation (Safehold, #6)
  • Like a Mighty Army (Safehold, #7)
  • Hell's Foundations Quiver (Safehold, #8)