The Heart of Anger

The Heart of Anger

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  26 reviews
ANGER! Is it ever in your home? Do your children ever speak to you in angry, disrespectful tones? Do they ever fight between themselves? Have you ever lost your patience and composure when dealing with an infuriating situation in the home? well, if you honestly answered yes to any of these questions, you need this book. Christian families, especially those in which childre...more
Published October 2nd 2009 by Calvary Press (first published 1998)

Andrea
I thought this book had some very helpful concepts.

Its focus is on teaching children to evaluate their sinful anger (whether inward or outward manifestations) using biblical terminology and determine/employ biblical alternatives. It also helps kids determine the circumstances that led up to the anger and acknowledge/describe their actions in dealing with it.

The author uses his experience as a parent and a counselor to give ideas, outline biblical instruction and provide scenarios where this pr...more
Peter N.
I really liked this book. There were some gaps that should have been filled in. But several things were helpful. First, he addresses an issue at length that is a huge problem in Christian homes. Namely, anger in children. Second, he begins by discussing how parents provoke anger in their children. He continues this theme in various ways throughout the book, always reminding parents of the danger of provoking anger when we discipline incorrectly. Third, he has a lot of practical ways to deal with...more
Go2therock
I was told that this was something like Love and Logic, only with scriptural references. I confess, I am one of the few adoptive parents who has not read L and L, but have heard it referenced often. So the addition of scripture made this the easy choice for me.

The instructions put forth in Heart of Anger do require some concentrated effort, but I have no doubt that they will reap the rewards you are looking for - for both your child and yourself. While reading, I already began putting into prac...more
Thomas Berber
I am always skeptical of Christian "lifestyle, self-help, pop psychology" but this book is not of that type, but convinces by using sound exegesis of the biblical texts and practical applications thereof.
The first thing that went through my mind reading was that i need to be trained like this before i can ever apply it to my children. There remains the great temptation to say, this is too complicated and time-consuming but - as Lou Priolo also says - to not provoke your children to anger, but t...more
Carolyn
What I love most about this book is that you can read it from both the vantage point of the child or the parent. And switch back and forth depending on the concept presented. You can immediately place yourself in your childhood home growing up as well as your home now with your own kids with YOU as the parent.

This is a must-have eye-opening book for all parents. If you own only three parenting books, let this be one of them. Highly recommend. It has the potential to heal old wounds as well as c...more
Betsy
I really appreciate Priolo's insight into this issue. I think some of the vignettes/conversations recorded are a little stilted sounding, but I think his diagnosis of the causes of anger (both in ourselves and in our children) are right on target. I especially appreciated the chapters on manipulation/disrespect. This book was convicting for me as a parent, showing me areas in my own life that need examination. I feel like I need to reread it! It's definitely not a book to be picked up only if yo...more
Ryan
What a practical, helpful book! This is the sort of book I'll be returning to frequently as a resources. The biblical approach (focusing on the heart) and the worksheets in the appendix make this an easy book to recommend. I'd give it 5 stars, but the author's tendency to write in lists made this just less than a 5-star book. This would be very worthwhile for anyone dealing with anger in their children (or themselves!).
Nannette Worrell-serra
Nov 03, 2013 Nannette Worrell-serra rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nannette by: NANC
Shelves: counseling
I had to rate this at only a 3 star because,after all, I have children. BTW: According to the cover of the book I have, it is foreword is by John McArthur,Jr. Jay E. Adams wrote the preface and you may recognize him as the "father" of nouthetic counseling. My counseling professor was not the only one who had difficulties with Jay Adams.
Rob
This book had some nuggets of goodness in it that I really appreciated, however there is a large portion of the book that I feel lacks value. Some of the scenarios feel contrived and stretched to fit the author's agenda. Further, I think it is in large degree, an over complication of a simple problem... Almost all anger is driven by selfishness and needs to be dealt with as such.
Cherie
This book is not just about anger it is a book on parenting and teaches how to create a Christ centered, rather than child centered, home. It not only tells you what you should do and why but gives you practical application in which you can apply the concepts you learn. This book also has a workbook that can be used as part of a small group setting. Great book!
Camille K.
This book is typical Nouthetic or "biblical counseling" on anger. It is very much like Priolo's other lectures on parenting "God's way" or whatever. John MacArthur, David Powlison, and Jay Adams all endorse it.

There's nothing new here that you can't find regurgitated in any number of Nouthetic books -- from Tedd Tripp to Gary Ezzo to John MacArthur.
Cynthia
A book on nouthetic counseling is always refreshing. Most interactions among people are not on a biblical plane. The chapter on not answering a fool in his folly is especially helpful. As sinners saved by grace, foolishness still creeps into our conversations. We should be ready to help each other get our thinking in line with the Word of God.
David
Many problems I see as a counselor and a middle-school/elementary school bus driver are often anger problems. Can't tell you how often I hear the words, "He/she makes me so angry . . ." 21st century philosophy offers no help. Priolo's book, The Heart of Anger offers real help for people who will take it seriously and respond accordingly.
Anita
Even though this book seems like it would only address anger, it actually can help parents and teachers deal biblically with several issues of the heart. And, as with most heart issues books, this one would not have to only deal with children either.
Amber
Do you have an angry child? Read here for insight and guidance on what to do for you and them. Warning: you may find that it makes you angry to think about your own anger.
Julie
Some good nuggets, but felt much of it was repetitive (each of the journals seemed simliar) - glad to have read it though, and will remember it if needed at some point.
Terri
Aug 28, 2008 Terri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone who are bellievers or not..
Recommended to Terri by: my church did recommand to me what realize that parents taught t
this is definetly recommand for all parents realize what every child has a problem. it is very helpful and teaches you to disciple your child.
Jen
absolutely wonderful...don't expect to get away with thinking this book is just to deal with the anger of children, adults alike will benefit.
Jason
As a father of six children, I highly recommend this book for parents as much as for children. It is good for all of us!
Kristie
I think this was a worthwhile book to read, but difficult to put into practice unless you really memorize scripture.
Loriann
awesome for parents and anybody who wants to deal with their anger in a Godly way.
Tom Mullins
diving in for a second time...particularly for the early chapters
Michael
Great book for "parents" with anger issues!
Karel
Oct 29, 2012 Karel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
3.2A - Family/Parenting
Steve
Full of good stuff.
Jeff
very helpful for parents in particular to understand the root of anger in their children and how to combat it.
Andy
Aug 21, 2012 Andy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Heather J
Heather J marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Catherine Morris
Catherine Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling
  • A Mom After God's Own Heart: 10 Ways to Love Your Children
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Reforming Marriage
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion
  • Depression: A Stubborn Darkness--Light for the Path
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross...Every Day
LOU PRIOLO is the Director of Biblical Counseling at Eastwood Presbyterian Church in Montgomery, Alabama. A graduate of Calvary Bible College and Liberty University, he is the author of The Heart of Anger , and The Complete Husband. Lou is also a Fellow in the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors. He resides in Wetumpka, Alabama with his wife, Kim, and daughters, Sophia and Gabriella.
More about Lou Priolo...
Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie" The Complete Husband: A Practical Guide to Biblical Husbanding Selfishness, From Loving Yourself to Loving Your Neighbor (Resources for Biblical Living) Getting A Grip: The Heart of Anger Handbook for Teens