Start by marking “Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters Mystery, #2)

Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters Mystery #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,696 ratings  ·  122 reviews
Murder on a Bad Hair Day

It's hard to believe practical, petite ex-schoolteacher Patricia Anne and amiable, ample-bodied, and outrageous Mary Alice are sisters, yet sibling rivalry has survived decades of good-natured disagreement about everything from husbands to hair color. No sooner do the Southern sisters discover a common interest in some local art, when they're arguin...more
Published February 6th 2001 by Avon (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on a Bad Hair Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on a Bad Hair Day

The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
106th out of 589 books — 1,474 voters
Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorCutting Right to the Chase by Stefania MattanaInto the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaMurphy's Law by Rhys BowenTax Cut by Michele Lynn Seigfried
Mystery Books to Share with Anyone
6th out of 127 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Moon Stumpp
I listened to the entire series of 8 books on audio so the books for me were like one very long book. So I will review the entire series. Listening to them on audio was a joy…I laughed myself silly a couple of times. Mouse and Sister’s adventures will put a smile on your face, no matter what age you are.
Teresa Collins
The second of the Southern Sisters Mysteries, this book is just as enjoyable as the first. Anne George had a talent for throwing red herrings out and making you fall for them hook, line, and sinker. You think you are so smart because you have it all figured out and then, wham, she throws the curve ball, most excellently.

In this story, Mary Alice and Patricia Ann, our Southern Sisters have attended an art gallery opening in Birmingham. The owner winds up being murdered with hair mousse, hence the...more
Diane Perry
A nice, fun read. The banter between the sisters reminds me of me and my sister. I needed this lighthearted story after some of the heavy reading I have done recently.
Cheryl Cooper
A nice cozy mystery. Easy read with good writing. Enjoyed the banter between the 2 sisters.
☺Trish
I have now read all eight of Anne George's Southern Sisters Mysteries.
I really enjoy exploring the relationship between polar-opposites Mary Alice and Patricia Anne. Each story is filled with just the right amount of good-natured sisterly squabbling, lots of sweet & silly humor, and just a touch of murder mystery to keep it interesting . . . a perfect cozy.
Yolie Gachelin
Some days I wish I could give a book a half of a star for a review. For this book I would only give it two and a half stars. The beginning of the book, the first line in the book, not a good starter. Did not grab me and make me want to keep on reading. Very disappointed. I did find some part humorous. However, I have a hard time believing that the main characters are in their 60s. I don't any women in their 60s that act like these woman, but maybe there are a few out there in this world. The pac...more
Patti
Another fun reread with the Southern Sisters. And whodunnit was not who I suspected (it's been awhile since I read this book, so I didn't remember at all). Perfect for bedtime reading (rereading in this case :))
Susan
A cute cozy mystery with two bantering sisters. Parts were hilarious and not a bad mystery, but it did not necessarily keep my attention. I had a hard time finishing it.
Luann
For some reason I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the other Southern Sisters Mysteries that I've read. There were still a lot of the aspects that I enjoy about the series - funny sisters humor between Patricia Ann and Mary Alice, loving husband-wife interaction between Patricia Ann and Fred, and lots of details about Birmingham. One of these days I'm going to go there and see that Vulcan statue she always talks about! In this one I also really enjoyed reading about the Outsider artists.

I...more
Elizabeth
The main protagonists in this series are two sisters from Birmingham, AL. During the course of the story the sisters solve a murder mystery. Not far into the story one of the ladies mentions that she can't see street signs when driving and cannot handle putting in contacts, naturally actual glasses have no place in her life. The woman with the visual problems is sixty and the reader is supposed to find the situation cute, maybe even funny. I found it silly.
Belinda
Summary: Patricia Anne and Mary Alice attend a folk art show and find a former student in charge. The next day, after hearing the news that the gallery owner has died under suspicious circumstances, they find the student, Claire, huddled on the front porch claiming to have narrowly survived an attack on her own life. Eval: Enjoyed this one as much as the first one. These girls really are a hoot and a half!
Ali
I thoroughly enjoyed this fun cosy mystery. The sisters are infectious and the author has brought Birmingham Alabama to life in humorous and affectionate way. This is in fact the second installment in the series, but not having read the first one was no problem.

The two sisters embark on a little sluething - to be honest there isn't much investigating really - after a woman is murdered following an art gallery event which they both attend. Patricia Ann - an ex school teacher meets up with a once...more
Grey853
Jan
This series is so much fun. This time out Sister (Mary Alice) and Mouse (Patricia Ann) sixty-something sisters in Alabama stumble into another murder mystery. This time an art gallery owner dies shortly after a showing of "Outsider" Alabama art. Outsider art is a passion of Mouse (our narator and retired teacher) and Sister. They get drawn into the investigation because of the involvement of one of Mouse's former students who works at the gallery. What with murders, missing persons, sick cats an...more
Holly
I listened to this book and loved it! These two southern sisters are a hoot. Can't wait to listen to the others in the series. ❤️❤️
Barb
I'm going to put up this same review for the entire series. Instead of reading this set of books, I listened to the audiobook versions of the entire series. The series is about a couple of sisters that bumble onto murders and wind up solving them. I don't know if it's the books, or the reader that I liked the most. By the time I had finished a couple of the books, I felt like the reader and the characters were old friends. The stories are light, easy to follow, and not terribly complex, but to m...more
Carroll
Light mystery/comedy. Kind of a waste of time.
Melissa
Cute, funny, but a little dated.
~mad
Engaging - so-so read but fun
Neisha Vils
I LOVE Anne George's books!!
yoyomaria
Love her books. I am now half way through the fourth one.
Niki
I saw this book on a two for one special and am always looking for series to read to was happy to try it. Maybe because I listened to the book and hated the reader I couldn't stand the book. The main characters are around 60 and the reader instead sounded like she was about 80 so I had a hard time listening to her. I felt myself many times wandering off to different places rather than paying attention to the plot. Maybe read or with a different reader I would of enjoyed more.
Jeanne
This is the first of the Southern Sisters Mysteries that I have read. I am not generally a fan of the "cozy" genre, and I found this to be just an okay read. I liked the relationship between the two sisters, but found the mystery not terribly intriguing, and the author didn't tie up a lot of loose ends. I did learn something about Birmingham, Alabama, and the book led me to look up the statue of Vulcan, so once again, I find that I learn something from every book I read.
Jenny
Four stars for great dialogue and likeable characters, but I would give it 3 for the mystery itself.

It's hard to write dialogue and George is HILARIOUS and great at it. I love the dynamic between sisters and the running jokes between them. I especially loved that the dog's name was Woofer.

I would definitely read more of these Southern Sister books in the future!

(Also who designed the book cover? Not at any point did anyone go into a hair salon!)
This is the second book of the eight book series. Although it is a mystery there are parts of the book that crack me up. I'm sure it is because it brings me back to that Southern way of life. Almost every character has characteristics of people I grew up with. The two main characters remind me of my mom and my aunt although there are a few major differences between the characters the personalities mach almost perfect. To good Southern weirdness!
Jaclyn Cannon
Again, don't know if my opinion of this book is due to my mood in which I read it at the time, but I felt the characters unbelievable and bumbling. It was more than easy for me to set this book down when I needed to do something, a bad sign. Usually I have to tear myself away from books. I really only finished this book not even because I was curious how it turned out, but only because I have only not finished reading about 3 books in my life.
Gramy
The books in this series are quick and humorous. It reminded me of the 'Stephanie Plum' series by Janet Evanovich when I started laughing myself into tears at one point. Mary Alice is a crazy sister who gets Patricia Anne into all sorts of trouble, but she doesn't even realize she is to blame. I enjoy the comedy between the characters, the unsolvable mysteries, and the bonds between the characters. I will definitely continue reading this series.
April Suter
Book Two:
The sisters have another murder on their plate. How they made their first 60 years without murders amazes us all but each peek into their world just cracks me up!!! This time it within 24 hours they met someone at an art show she is dead. The helpful police officer, Bo Mitchell adds a few giggles to the story as the southern sisters find themselves not always in a safe place.

246 pages
Kevin
Love her books. Looking forward to the next one.
Rebecca
I didn't realize that I had read this before until I got to the section about the 'pencil test.' Then I laughed to think that of the whole complicated plot, that was the one thing I would remember! (The pencil test is not something that can be described in any way to make it classy; I'll just say it's a measure of how elastic your skin is.) Anyway, this is a fun, if light, series.
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #19)
  • This One and Magic Life: A Novel of a Southern Family
  • Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3)
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • Larceny and Old Lace (Den of Antiquity, #1)
  • How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)
Anne Carroll George was an American author and poet. She was Alabama's 1994 state poet. George died in 2001 of heart surgery complications.

Anne George was an Agatha Award-winner and a former Alabama State Poet. She was a cofounder of the Druid Press, and a regular contributor to literary and poetry publications. She was nominated for several awards, including the Pulitzer for a book of verse entit...more
More about Anne George...
Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters Mystery, #1) Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters Mystery, #3) Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters Mystery, #7) Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4) Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)