Start by marking “Reason within the Bounds of Religion” as Want to Read:
Reason within the Bounds of Religion

Reason within the Bounds of Religion

Expanding on his 1976 study of the bearing of Christian faith on the practice of scholarship, Wolterstorff has added a substantial new section on the role of faith in the decisions scholars make about their choice of subject matter.
Published June 1st 1988 by Eerdmans (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Reason within the Bounds of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reason within the Bounds of Religion

John
Mar 21, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
This little book came at a crucial time for me. Recommended by my thesis advisor, Mark Noll, 'way back in the early 1980s (in its first, smaller edition), it rearranged my epistemological architecture like no other book has. A pretty naive realist before, I became a critical realist instantly upon reading this persuasive, dense essay in "anti-foundationalism" (although I'm pretty sure Wolterstorff doesn't use the term "critical realism" anywhere in the book). Indeed, I became a postmodernist in ...more
Danielle
Jan 09, 2017 Danielle rated it really liked it
Clear concise writing which provides a critique on several epistemological theories before taking a stand on praxis-oriented academia
Jacob Andrews
Feb 18, 2014 Jacob Andrews rated it really liked it
I love finding philosophers who are also good writers. Wolterstorff is a great example. This book is a learning experience in good philosophy that is eloquent as well as articulate; in advancing a position without an adversarial attitude (a big challenge for me); and in writing a book that is "real philosophy" but also perfectly relevant to and readable by non-philosophers.

That last point means the theory he's pushing isn't worked out in as much detail as it could be. On one hand, he does a grea
Greg
Oct 22, 2007 Greg rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Christians in academia
In this little book, Wolterstorff presents a concise approach for how a Christian's core beliefs ought to relate to the "theory of theorizing". The target audience is Christians in academic fields of study. He explains the reasons for the historical demise of foundationalism (I found this to be a clear and helpful summary). But he does not conclude that now "anything goes." Rather, a Christian's (or anyone's) core-beliefs serve as a control for weighing theories. This book gets going in an inter ...more
Jacco..
Oct 23, 2012 Jacco.. rated it really liked it
Reread it, and although there are no new insights, it is still a good soliloquy. (Took that word from the preface, I like it)
In grand strokes, the book deals on how ones religion should comport with ones scholarly learning. Although as such it is written for those with learning as a profession, it still contains valuable points on how Christiann faith and science go together.
Jazz Salo
Feb 16, 2014 Jazz Salo rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly good read. The tract size actually affords the ideas within more possibility for growth than that of larger titles. I guess I'm just perplexed that further work has not been done to expand on the many pregnant notions put forward in this deceptively unassuming text.
Dylan Bailey
Nov 19, 2013 Dylan Bailey rated it liked it
Good book but it will need to be read again. Some stuff went over my head but some was also very helpful and insightful. I enjoyed the authors bit on Christians pursing shalom in what ever context of culture and vocation that God has put them in.
Larry
Feb 29, 2008 Larry rated it liked it
brilliant, scholarly, biblical, great book, but not easy reading. the author is one of America's foremost contemporary philosophers.
Matthew
Jan 21, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just fantastic as an introduction to how Christian commitments (and theological formulations) ought to interact with other disciplines. It's a tiny book, but I heartily recommend it.
Miriam Nard
Mar 13, 2015 Miriam Nard is currently reading it
What a great little book.
Vijay Pillai
Vijay Pillai rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Steve Spencer
Steve Spencer rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Kevin McClain
Kevin McClain rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2011
TKTE
TKTE rated it it was ok
May 03, 2008
Steve Parsons
Steve Parsons rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2011
Troy Gibson
Troy Gibson rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2008
Stewart Clem
Stewart Clem rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2009
Heath
Heath rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2012
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Zach Waldis
Zach Waldis rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Rich
Rich rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Conor
Conor rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
May 02, 2014
Shawn Swinney
Shawn Swinney rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Drew
Drew rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Marissa Caldwell
Jun 07, 2011 Marissa Caldwell rated it it was amazing
An excellent, thought-provoking, discourse on the relationship of faith and reason.
Fred Putnam
Fred Putnam rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Faith and Rationality: Reason and Belief in God
  • Theology and Social Theory: Beyond Secular Reason
  • Whose Community? Which Interpretation?: Philosophical Hermeneutics for the Church
  • The Beauty of the Infinite: The Aesthetics of Christian Truth
  • Defense of the Faith
  • The Spirit of Medieval Philosophy
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 1 : Prolegomena
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
  • The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer: A Christian Worldview (5 Volume Set)
  • German Philosophy 1760-1860 : The Legacy of Idealism
  • Work in the Spirit: Toward a Theology of Work
  • On the Holy Spirit
  • Brightest Heaven of Invention: A Christian Guide to Six Shakespeare Plays
Wolterstorff is the Noah Porter Professor Emeritus of Philosophical Theology, and Fellow of Berkeley College at Yale University. A prolific writer with wide-ranging philosophical and theological interests, he has written books on metaphysics, aesthetics, political philosophy, epistemology and theology and philosophy of religion.
More about Nicholas Wolterstorff...