Start by marking “Mad At Mommy” as Want to Read:
Mad At Mommy

Mad At Mommy

The creator of last year's sleeper success THE SNOW DAY returns with another pitch-perfect story of real childhood experience -- what happens when you get MAD AT MOMMY.

Little Bunny is VERY MAD at his mommy.
She sleeps too late.
She talks too much.
She watches her silly shows instead of cartoons.
And she gets mad for no reason -- just a few little bubbles on the floor.

The only
Published October 1st 2010 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mad At Mommy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad At Mommy

Tasha
Sep 24, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A new book from the creator of The Snow Day, this book offers an accurate portrayal of child anger.

Little Bunny is very angry at his mommy. And he is more than willing to tell her exactly why. She sleeps late on Saturdays. She never lets him watch cartoons. She always yells for no reason. She is always telling him to hurry up and then not hurrying herself. She always forgets to do the laundry. She told him he can’t marry her when he is older. So he’s decided to run away. For a moment or two.

Sak
Marike
Mad at Mommy by Komako Sakai

A book that expresses the andgry sulking child’s emotion wonderfully. Mad at Mommy says it all. The child character is represented by a little rabit. The colours are toned down, pastels. Surely something every child and parent can recognise somewhere in the story, I AM SO MAD AT YOU! You always sleep late, especially on Saturdays. Always and always. [Yes it has a loving mother end]
Natalie
Nov 23, 2010 Natalie rated it liked it
This bunny needs to call the 1-800 number for support when living with depressed loved ones.

I appreciate the beauty and emotional quality of Sakai's work. Emily's Balloon is in my top 20 favorite picture books, but I won't be quick to offer this one to a child because of it's complexity.
Julia March
Mar 30, 2012 Julia March rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Remember that time when you were little and you got so mad at mom that you finally told mom you were leaving then 2 minutes later you came back? Meet a little rabbit who plans to do just that after telling mom why he's so mad at her. Adorable illustrations with a heart warming story that most of us can relate to.
Caroline
Feb 18, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it
A delightful picture book perfect for reading with your own ornery little bunny after a frustrating day. The simple but expressive artwork conveys a youngsters frustrations.
Oscar
Dec 07, 2013 Oscar rated it really liked it
I picked this book up on a whim due to the fantastic cover illustration. I was not disappointed, as all the illustrations throughout are similarly both beautiful and adorable. Although not exactly the same, it reminded me a bit of Salina Yoon's style - that sort of unfinished light-colours-over-dark-paper look.

The story was also enjoyable, though it seems like many of my fellow GoodReaders interpreted it a bit differently than I did. I was surprised by how many reviews I saw that said something
Amy
Dec 29, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s
David
Jan 20, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Little Bunny is VERY MAD at his mommy. She sleeps too late. She talks too much. She watches her silly shows instead of cartoons. And she gets mad for no reason -- just a few little bubbles on the floor. The only thing left to do is run away. But does he really want to leave Mommy behind forever? (Goodreads summary)

Mad At Mommy by Komako Sakai deals with a young child (bunny) very angry with his mother. He voices a list of complaints about his mother. Yet if you look at the illustrations you see
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary Baby bunny is mad at mommy
Annotation The baby bunny runs down the list of the reasons he is mad at his mom and says when he is big he'll do whatever he wants
Age appropriateness 2-4
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - The words and emotion are realistic
Print Awareness - simple use of the bottom of page as text goes left to right
Narrative Skills - shows a full circle from anger to love
Five practices
Talking - this is a good book to read if children are feelin
Emma
Feb 24, 2011 Emma rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
What a strange book. The pictures are gorgeous and the bunny is so cute, I wanted to love it. But the message is a little weird, cause I'm pretty sure Mommy is clinically depressed or bipolar and kind of neglectful. The entire time he's yelling at her, she's in bed with the covers over her head. Really not sure what we're trying to say here.

In fact, as time has gone on and I've reread it, I only find it more disturbing than anything else. If you want a good picture book about anger, go read Anna
Reader
May 06, 2011 Reader rated it it was ok
I had been looking forward to this new book by the author of The Snow Day, but I'm not quite sure what to think of this book. Little bunny is mad at his mommy, and sets out to tell her exactly why. The book is an exploration of childhood anger--Mommy always sleeps late, especially on Saturdays; she yells for no reason, she never lets him watch cartoons. But about halfway through the book, things took a turn for me -- Mommy is still in bed, and she forgets to pick up little bunny on time from sch ...more
529_Quincy Owens
Feb 05, 2011 529_Quincy Owens rated it really liked it
Mad at Mommy by Kamako Sakai tells the story of a rabbit that is mad at his mommy. Some of the rabbits chief complaints include the fact that; she sleeps late on Saturdays, watches her shows but does not allow him to see his cartoons, yells at him for no reason (he was playing in the toilet), and tells him to hurry up when she always takes her time to pick. There are not any culturally specific details in this book which was originally created in Japanese. The rabbits do not show any kind of cul ...more
Cil
Katieb (MundieMoms)
Dec 05, 2010 Katieb (MundieMoms) rated it liked it
These illustrations and direct sentences are great for preschoolers. The story itself captures the frustrations that toddlers have with their parents in not always understanding why they are told to do certain things, like "hurry up". In this case little bunny is mad at his mommy. The description of emotions is one preschoolers can relate to well. My little preschooler enjoyed the illustrations, but didn't stay at captivated with the story as she has with others.

I think this is a great book to u
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

I think this is a great book to
Dolly
Dec 20, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2010
While this little bunny is very young, I think this story is best read to young elementary school-age children or older preschoolers, as they can appreciate the wit and humor a bit more. Our girls can get frustrated with me for similar reasons (like asking them to hurry up, but then never hurrying myself at times), so I think this is a good book to read with them and then talk about frustrations and how no matter what, we will always love each other.
Katie Fitzgerald
A cute little bunny, arms folded in anger, is mad at his mother because she sleeps late and watches too much TV. I found it a bit disturbing that the mother was depicted as somewhat neglectful, but the ending is happy, and I think, as with books like When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry, the subject matter won’t bother kids. Anger is an emotion they know, and this book does a good job portraying what it feels like, and how it can be productively resolved.
Lisa H
May 03, 2016 Lisa H rated it liked it
I had to read it several times to really appreciate it. I saw myself as the mommy rabbit sometimes when I rush my 5 year old. my daughter liked it but I don't appreciate how the bunny actually leaves and the mommy is so passive. It gives an idea to young children in trying to leave the house. That I didn't like but I turned it into a learning moment for my 5 year old about the dangers of going outside alone....
Addie
Apr 30, 2011 Addie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Bunny is really mad at mommy! She sleeps in, doesn't hurry when she tells him to hurry and gets mad over little things so bunny runs away! Does he come back though?
This book was way cute! I enjoyed reading it to my kids and they enjoyed having it read to them. It's exactly what every little kid is thinking but never actually says. My daughter has even taken it up on herself to learn to read this fun book by herself.
Allison Burke
This is about a baby bunny who is mad at his mother for not being around and paying attention to him. It covers the issue about parents who are dysfunctional and may neglect their children. This book made me really sad and made me aware of situations like this. It gets into the mind of a child in this situation as well especially at the end when the bunny decides he wants to run away, but then because he loves his mother even though he's mad at her, he stays and puts up with it. Grades k-5
Eneida
Nov 20, 2010 Eneida rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A lot of truth in this book (not about all mommies, but certainly about many of them), but it's also interesting that you can see a bit of both sides of the "case". The illustrations, again, may be better appreciated by adults, probably, because of its pastel colors, though, on the other hand, they have simple, a little child-like lines. Anyway, it's cute, particularly the end of the story. Very cute.
Kate
Jul 24, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
So cute (and funny)! I love the way it deals with an issue that's difficult for children without talking down to them. Yes, Bunny's reasons for being mad at his mommy are nonsensical, but the emotions are real. There's something beautiful in the way that this book gives children permission to explore their feelings.
Angie
Jun 28, 2011 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
Maybe a two and a half. I just really liked The Snow Day better. But this one was still cute enough. As you can obviously tell from the title ... the little bunny rabbit is so upset with his mommy ... but of course they make up in the end. :]
Emily
Atypical dirty blues and yellows signify a young rabbit’s frustration, exasperation and plain old anger with his mother. Both facial and aural expressions aid in the young rabbit’s plight against matronly injustice.
Susan
Mar 02, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it

Keywords/Themes: Feelings, rabbits, mother and child

Literacy skills:
Print awareness-child can point out large bold print words which will help heighten print awareness.
Vocabulary-use this book to discuss emotions and learn new vocabulary
Mandy E
Aug 08, 2012 Mandy E rated it liked it
Shelves: for-babes
I must admit that I balked when I read this over before reading it to the babes. It so well expresses those principal frustrations a child has for the adult when it first begins to think critically! I'm almost afraid to give them any ideas!
T.
Nov 13, 2012 T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-books
I think the author has been spying on my life with my son. A young bunny gets upset at his mother for everyday things and then says he is going away but comes back hoping his mommy missed him.

It's very cute and my son will say "It's better to be happy than mad." After we have read this.
Nina
May 02, 2012 Nina rated it liked it
This is an adorable story. The illustrations and words are melt in your heart pure unadulterated adorablness. It's successful at giving parents a peak at all the things that may irk little hearts. Also a great example for kids to feel that they can vent their feelings.
Tricia
Nov 04, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
A toddler's frustration is captured in brief text and bold illustrations. It may take a preschooler to truly understand the feelings being described in this book, though. My audience (preschoolers) enjoyed it.
Kim
Jan 07, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Cute book not so wonderful ending kinda hits home though except Stephen hasn't threatened to run away yet
  • There's Going to Be a Baby