Start by marking “Silverbirch; A Tear in the Fabric of the Night Sky” as Want to Read:

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  11 reviews

Part I

By eating an extremely rare mushroom that has a red lightning bolt image naturally built-in to its black-gilled underbelly, Nudge discovers he can create a tear in the fabric of the night sky that will allow his soul to legally leave Earth and enter Silverbirch.
Published January 26th 2010 by Robkaay Publishing (first published October 28th 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Silverbirch; A Tear in the Fabric of the Night Sky

Book Chatter-Cath
This is definitely not a book I would normally read, in fact I am way out of my comfort zone here.
The characters are definitely interesting and the storyline is really original.

A diverse group of children that live through a horrendous event, meet up again as adults to tackle the mysteries of their past, and encounter something so exceptionable, so unexplainable that they are quite literally changed forever.

I will say that there is a lot going on in this book.
Lots of sub stories and plot line
Sam
1.5 -- I feel like this was a case of 'not for me.' The premise sounded very intriguing, and while I did complete the story, I didn't feel like I understood it. In fact, I felt so lost and confused reading this novel. The plot was all over the place, the characters all seemed to have anger management problems, and when the world of Silverbirch was very unique, the story and its cast couldn't carry it for me. Also the writing style, while interesting at first, started to grate on me as it went on ...more
Adeeb
I was lucky enough to be sent a copy of this book by the author, Rob Kaay, by a giveaway hosted by Jean BookNerd. I am very grateful.

Now let's start with the review:

From the summary, you know this book is weird. Yes WEIRD. Does that mean it's a good book or a bad one?

I must admit, this book was not what I expected it to be. It was very different. I thought this book, judging by its cover and summary, is a young adult book. I was proven wrong. This book is an adult book, so I must warn you, you s
Carly
Well, where to start, I really loved reading this book. Rob Kaay really did bring something very unique to the table, the writing is genius, like nothing I have ever read before. Fast-paced, action packed plot-line, with interesting characters that had me laughing out loud. I am so glad I got the opportunity to read Silverbirch.

The story starts at main character Nudge's 9th birthday party. They are playing Cowboys and Indians, Nudge, his best friend Chase, the girl he has a crush on Hayley, bull
Alan Williams
Tabatha
This book was an enjoyable and fast read, something that takes place in our modern world and very unique that i would reccomend this to sci-fi readers.

The story was easy to follow and well written, the only problem i had were some of the words and pharses were alittle repetitive. Plenty of action and adventure. There was also this one moment (a certain celebrity lifestyle reference), that i had a laugh over. Loved the way the characters were written, strong and developed.

i only have one question
BeyondDL
A copy of this book should magically appear at the base of every Silverbirch tree that turns 100 (in case any of those shrooms should pop up). With a nearby power outlet to plug in a portable electric cooker. Good for camping, bad for environment. But is that the message of the book? No, I'm just checking if people read this. If you're here you should probably read the book. Be prepared for a pulp fiction meltdown of an adventure into the world of Silverbirch.
Abigailann (Abigail)

A unique and captivating plot, starting from the end of the story and then explaining how the main character got there. Told in plain language, which somehow hightened the tension and enhanced the action. The male characters had good backstories and behaved in a way consistent with their characters. Unfortunatly, this didn't seem to always be the case with the female characters. Overall, this book was interesting and showed good potential.
Jaime (Twisting the Lens)
Did Not Finish. The writing style was too odd for me to get into, but story sounded like a very interesting concept. This just wasn't for me.
Nancy Silk
This author exhibits great creativity in taking his readers on a fast-paced fantasy adventure. Surely, there must be a sequel?
Melissa
Lachlan Hardy
Lachlan Hardy marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Zoie Shaw
Zoie Shaw marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Shubhi
Shubhi marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
Frances
Frances is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2012
Merry
Merry marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2012
Andrée
Andrée marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2012
Carrie
Carrie added it
Mar 20, 2012
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Silverbirch in Top 10 Sci-Fi on Amazon! 4 41 Oct 07, 2012 10:16AM
I am an Australian music-maker and story-teller.

My latest novel is called Silverbirch; A Tear in the Fabric of the Night Sky.

Come over to my website and I'll sort you out with some free Silverbirch podcasts.

More about Robert Kaay...
Fall of the Epicenter (Silverbirch, Part II) Robkaay Journals; (Vol II) This Is What Its Really Like Being in a Band Robkaay Journals; (Vol I) My Glorious Nightmare