Start by marking “The Best Of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Best Of Sherlock Holmes

The Best Of Sherlock Holmes

Selected and Edited by David Stuart Davies

The Best of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twenty of the very best tales from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s fifty-six short stories featuring the arch-sleuth. Basing his selection around the author’s own twelve personal favourites, David Stuart Davies has added a further eight sparkling stories to Conan Doyle’s ‘Baker Street Dozen’
Published 1998 by Wordsworth Classics (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Of Sherlock Holmes

Valiant Budi
The Best of Sherlock Holmes adalah salah satu buku yang saya beli tanpa pikir panjang—tak peduli cover ataupun sinopsisnya.

Meskipun beberapa kisahnya bisa jadi telah kita baca di majalah masa kecil, tapi koleksi 20 cerita dalam
buku ini tetap membuat hati penasaran.Ulangan yang menyenangkan!

The Best of Sherlock Holmes juga diperkaya ‘kesaksian’ sang editor David Stuart Davies tentang seluk beluk penyuntingan kisah Sherlock Holmes selama ini.

Buku ini juga membuat saya semakin mengangkat topi kep
Rachel
Oct 06, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful short stories! It's no wonder Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories appeared in The Strand for 40 years; you can't help but be riveted when Holmes starts to work his magic. And Dr. Watson, the perfect sidekick. The Final Problem and The Empty House are my favorites of this collection. The small bit of dialogue between Holmes and Moriarty in The Final Problem is simply outstanding. Did you know Sherlock Holmes never said 'elementary, my dear ,Watson.'? Ha! Can't wait to read ...more
Elise
Oct 04, 2016 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the short stories.
They are easy to read. And you keep on reading once you start with a story.
Now I understand why Sherlock Holmes is a classic. And why it got so famous!
Alyssa
Aug 16, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories is truly fascinating. It feels like a miracle every time Sherlock somehow solves it all while everyone else involved is still in the dark. A good read.
Shaaer
Oct 19, 2015 Shaaer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Needless to say why Mr.Holmes deserve a 5 star.
Auderoy Lin
Jul 11, 2015 Auderoy Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

FAV QUOTES:

I know, my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and outside the conventions and humdrum routine of everyday life. You have shown your relish for it by the enthusiasm which has prompted you to chronicle, and, if you will excuse my saying so, somewhat to embellish so many of my own little adventures.

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

I
Rim Bedoui
May 25, 2017 Rim Bedoui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved it I didn't want it to finish
Diana
Jan 06, 2017 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime
5/5 stars ★★★★★

You know, one does not simply review Sherlock Holmes. It is an insult to the author and to the character. Holmes is so great, he is beyond reviewing. His name is so deeply engraved in the hearts of the readers and of the world’s literary canon, that my little, flimsy review would lose all significance to it. Holmes is not just a fictional detective anymore, his importance made him almost real, without ever existing in flesh. However, I will brace myself and present to you a critiq
Resti Anantika
Jan 24, 2016 Resti Anantika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyway, dari judulnya sudah jelas luar biasa. Kalau tidak luar biasa tidak akan dibuat film dan serialnya dari jaman tahun 1916 sampai sekarang. Buku yang saya baca ini berisi 19 petualangan terbaik Sherlock Holmes. Dia adalah seorang detektif, bisa disebut maniak karena dia dengan senang hati melakukan semua petualangannya tanpa dibayar. Obsesif. Itulah sebabnya dia adalah seorang jenius yang terkenal dan untungnya dia memiliki hati yang masih baik. Jika tidak, pasti dia bisa menjadi penjahat p ...more
Euisry Noor
I always love Sherlock Holmes stories. In this book of Woodsworth Classics edition I enjoyed the collection of twenty best cases of Sherlock Holmes along with an introduction by David Stuart Davies, the editor. Davies’ long essay talks about many things behind the success of Sherlock Holmes, how the cases in this edition selected, and discuss about plus and minus of every case.
It was a delight for me to read the story of a very long journey in which Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author, write Holm
Nik
Mar 15, 2016 Nik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fiction the auther of the book is Conan Doyle.And the book itself is called The best of Sherlock Holmes.This book is more for the hight school students it has hard words in some places then it has very small lettersso u have to read very slowly.It was published in London 2008.And there are 459 pages but every small story has 110-136 pages.

.I read the story about The Speckled Band.This story is about a murder that happened in a house hold and any one can be the killer.But the main su
Undrakh Ganzorig
Sep 17, 2012 Undrakh Ganzorig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Glad to say that the number of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fans was increased by one half-insane book lover - that would be me :P. Not only his stories were so good : full of scenes that made me forget to breathe and anxiously skim to know what was gonna happen next , but also the writing prose of Sir Arthur was rather pleasant to read . 'The best of Sherlock Holmes' is exactly the book you will never regret for reading it instead of doing your homework :D
I've heard lots of compliments about the
Shirin
Aug 26, 2013 Shirin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. There were few printing issues, such as the illustration wiping out the paragraphs and on page 168 on the last line, there was a reference of a stick as a Penang lawyer..no arguments from me there. They might be just that, but i can't help suspecting that it was more of a typo or error of some kind.

I have also been following the BBC mini series with Benedict Cumberbatch as the main character. The last in the 2012 series was about Holmes' death after what viewers would perceive as him
Harun Šiljak
Oct 19, 2016 Harun Šiljak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been my companion in the first weeks of living in a new city. Fate placed me in a city on the British Isles, and allowed me to read Holmes during long bus rides through the city and its suburbs. It wasn't too hard to imagine being in a hansom cab, and the streets we were passing would soon converge in Baker St. It might have been the power of the moment, but I doubt that it would be possible without the talent of Arthur Conan Doyle.

Stories selected in this anthology are proper repr
Alice Harbin
Feb 06, 2015 Alice Harbin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful short stories, each a convoluted mystery, so typical of the Sherlock Holmes' mysteries. I discovered after the first story that the tale was somewhat familiar to me. After two more, I am convinced that I'd read this book previously, yet though I was anticipating each small turn in the plot, I could not recall the ending.
Well, I have a position that there is no sense rereading a book, because there are so many books to read. I'll hold onto this book though, because it can be a good wa
Rrlgrrl
May 04, 2013 Rrlgrrl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread this book I bought long ago when I was in high school. This volume only contains 6 Sherlock Holmes stories (The Adventure of the Speckled Band, Silver Blaze, A Scandal in Bohemia, The Adventure of the Dancing Men, The Final Problem, and The Adventure of the Empty House). I had forgotten how engaging the stories can be. Finding this on goodreads was a bit of a challenge since it is an obscure edition from 1980 (publisher Watermill).

Perhaps I should read my annotated volumes of the compl
Lisa
Mar 29, 2014 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love crime/suspense/thriller books so I should love Holmes. I really wanted to but I didn't which makes me sad and very frustrated that I don't get it :-( I found the stories monotonous. I didn't learn anything about the characters. Having a sidekick so the audience can learn what the main character is thinking is a common tool but badly written in this case as it's so obvious. Poor Watson. After only three stories I give up, so many books so little time etc :-(
Brian
May 20, 2010 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember the last time I read a Sherlock Holmes story, but they are still a lot of fun! From the book cover I learned that Arthur Conan Doyle was a medical student and was inspired to write these stories by a professor "whose reasoning abilities helped him determine the illnesses - and even the occupations - of his patients". I will aspire to be more like Sherlock Holmes in my epidemiologic investigations.
Amanda
Jan 18, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love reading the classics. I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes. These stories always make me happy, and I highly recommend them to anyone who likes detective stories. Sherlock Holmes is one of the original and most well known detectives, and I still find myself shocked by the character every time I read of another one of his solved cases. Overall, this book is a great compilation of some of his best stories.
Rameen
Mar 04, 2014 Rameen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i think this is a really good book it is mystery and partially adventure but if you have read a Sherlock Holmes book before tho shook might have some of the same adventures.
This happened with me but when i still read those stories they are all written on the same story line but have been explained or expressed differently but it is still a good book to read i would recommend it to anyone who likes mystery and adventure books even if you don't you should still try it!
Jaimin Dave
Apr 14, 2013 Jaimin Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The great novel made me read more of Sherlock Holmes. Again, I watched the movie before the novel. The good thing, the movie has nothing to do with this novel. I have always wanted to be like Sherlock Holmes, all his moves are so impressive. He remains the best unmasked superhero till date. This book is certainly worth reading for all Sherlock fans. And by the way, keep a dictionary, just in case!
Daniel Wood
May 07, 2012 Daniel Wood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, classics
I'd read a lot of the stories in this compilation a few times before, but I still enjoyed every one. This book is also perfect for travelling - stories are each fairly short, so you can squeeze one in if you're waiting for a bus or delaying sleep, plus there are lots of fellow travellers happy to take it off your hands when you're done!
Connie
Feb 27, 2014 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I adore Sherlock Holmes. It's a story that I've always loved and it was a love that was deepened by Benedict Cumberbatch's face. This was a great collection of 20 of the short stories and I plan to read the rest as soon as I can. The only problem with this was the printing and not the actual story, at times the illustrations omitted the words. But we can over look that!
Ann Jacob
Oct 23, 2011 Ann Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As it is 5 stories together, i didn't like it much. I wanted to read all the stories separate. Though i loved Sherlock Holmes. His way of observing things and stuff. It's so amazing how people find things like this. The story i liked the most was 'The Adventure of Dancing Men'. The symbols and all was so fascinating that i couldn't put the book down until i finished it. Just Wonderful!
Vandana
Aug 07, 2014 Vandana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock became very predictive for me so i was bored by the time i reached last few stories in this book.....but still Sherlock methods inspires me.....its like presence of mind in the time you are in...
Amanda
Oct 28, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You really need to find "The Complete Sherlock Holmes". They didn't have it on this site. Wonderful escape. Relaxing, enertaining, titlating to someoneyou loves a good mystery and british humor. One of my go to books for fun.
Cynthia
Jan 14, 2016 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016
Such a fascinating book! Definitely a lot to process while reading it but got a mindblown everytime i finished reading one case. This is really a very good start to read classics!!!(ps i normally dont read classics)
Totally worth it!
Sarbhav Mittal
Dec 01, 2014 Sarbhav Mittal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first novel I started to read. I was very exited to read it but since my english is not so good so,I can't took everything of it.
Actually this kind of novel have high level of english. So, be sure that you are very much aware of english.
Angelia Khaterine
Apr 27, 2013 Angelia Khaterine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a long long loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong read. My english was still bad to actually (fluently) read this novel without constantly peeking up through my dict. Well, at least i finished it.
Allie
Feb 18, 2014 Allie rated it it was amazing
Sigh...what can I say about these (rightfully) legendary shot stories?

They are truly delightful (...even with the murders and crimes and all those sorts of things).

I'll be reading and rereading these stories for years to come.

Can I give this 6 stars?
  • Sherlock Holmes Short Stories
  • A Christmas Carol (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • 100 Selected Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories
  • The Young King & The Remarkable Rocket
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Corpse Bridge (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #14)
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes Was Wrong: Reopening the Case of The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Cartas marcadas
  • The Return of Mister Campion
  • The Art of Deduction
  • The Valley of Fear: A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Perils of Sherlock Holmes: Short Stories
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...