The Passions of the Mind

The Passions of the Mind

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  825 ratings  ·  44 reviews
In the 1880's, Vienna was Europe's glamour capital. It was in that brilliant city that Sigmund Freud began his long struggle to free people everywhere from the blindfolds & chains of their unknown natures. The Passions of the Mind is the story of an extraordinary man who proved that some of the most exciting challenges aren't met on the battlefield or on mountain peaks...more
paper, 808 pages
Published March 3rd 1987 by Signet (first published 1971)

Michael Smith
This fictionalized biography of Sigmund Freud managed to endear itself to me despite the fact that as fiction it’s stilted and verbose to the point of stultifying, nothing at all like Stone’s excellent The Agony and The Ecstasy. At least I got the sense that the author’s massive research was leaving me with a real biography of Freud. I had to wonder why the author just didn’t write a straight biography, then thought that he probably was so used to thinking of himself as a writer of fictionalized...more
DoctorM
Irving Stone spent a lifetime writing great, huge, ponderous novelised historical biographies. No one has ever accused him of vivid prose or crafting memorable characters. But he's readable, and I grew up reading his biographical novels about Darwin, Schliemann, Michaelangelo, and Freud and finding in them my introductions to places and times and ideas I might otherwise have missed.

I read "Passions of the Mind" in high school--- my first introduction to Freud and to fin-de-siecle Vienna and the...more
Erik Graff
Mar 21, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stone/Freud fans
Recommended to Erik by: Kara Lindstrom
Shelves: literature
Facing prosecution for draft resistance, I dropped out of college for a year. During this time I had a number of uninteresting jobs, but found plenty of time outside of work to study, renew old friendships and get involved in community politics.

The biggest political accomplishment of the year was the creation of what we called the Park Ridge Community and Youth Coalitions which led, ultimately, to some legislation creating both youth and senior citizen centers in the city. More important, howeve...more
Adenike Adebiyi
Sigi Freud noticed a little blood on a piece of bread he had been eating. He checked his mouth and found a spot on the right cheek from where the blood was coming. He paid it no serious attention, and the blood dried out. But a few days later, the bleeding returned. He checked his mouth again and noticed that the bleeding was coming from an area beyond the last tooth – he attributed the bleeding to a swollen gum or impacted tooth and did nothing for another few weeks. When the growth started ext...more
Starr
Sep 05, 2008 Starr rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mentally Ill People
Recommended to Starr by: Helpers of Mentally Ill People
I first fell victim to the web of Stone's literary genius about 10 years while reading The Agony and Ecstacy, his account of Michelangelo. Passions of the Mind and the intimate portrayal of Freud's struggle as he struggles for others, wrenches me away from myself. Irving Stone's capacity to understand the character who he is writing about in a compassionate manner, allows the reader to understand their joys and struggles. Although Freud's psychological methods are antiquated and deemed more harm...more
Thom Swennes
Sigmund Freud (1856-1939) was an enigma in his time and in many ways he has remained so to this day. Trained in medicine at the University of Vienna, he was graduated in 1881 and practiced at the Vienna General Hospital. He researched the fields of aphasia, cerebral palsy and microscopic neuroanatomy. He is justly known as the founding father of psychoanalysis. This story in more than a commemoration of a great person and his immense mind but it is also a story of love seldom equaled. Like in Lu...more
Pat
Nov 21, 2008 Pat added it
Fascinating story of Sigmund Freud. His personal life and family involvements. The development and early stages of what was to become psycho-analytical thought.

Some interesting elements:

- His belief that love is irrational--and his desire to thus be "irrationally loved" by his wife.
- His addiction to cocaine and its consequences.
- The facade of attempting to objectively and dispassionately understand the human condition, while suffering from every element of the human condition.
Somaye Homayoun
کتاب شور ذهن شرح زندگی و فعالیت های زیگموند فروید، عصب شناس، روانشناس و روانکاو مشهوره. این کتابو اتفاقی توی کتابخونه دیدم و از اونجایی که به بیوگرافی علاقه دارم و داستان اگه واقعی باشه بیشتر بهم میچسبه کتاب رو خوندم. تصویری که از فروید توی ذهنم بود مربوط میشد به کتابای درسی دوره دبیرستان که ذهنیت منفی بود ولی اونجوری که ایروینک استون شرح میده فروید یک شخص کاملا پایبند به مسائل اخلاقی و خانواده دوست بود یه جورایی تا آخر داستان متوجه میشید که اون برای خانوادش نقش پدرخوانده رو داشت فروید یه انسان...more
Jessica
Very interesting book about the professional development of Freud. The book begins during Freud's time at medical school, and journeys through his life as medical doctor and later founder of psychoanalysis, with personal information provided along the way. I enjoyed this book because it really showed the development of his ideas; while many of Freuds ideas are indeed lofty, weird, and since been declared as oversimplified or "applying one theory to all problems," many other ideas are indeed stil...more
Amanda
Great intensive study of Sigmund Freud. Great read, like a novel, but based on a real guy and his very real life.
Jo Horton hudgins
Wow! What a glimpse into the mind of Sigmund Freud. Really enjoyed reading this book!
Angela Jacobs
Very interesting book that takes us through the life of Sigmund Freud. We get to see how his illustrius career starts from its humble beginnings and how he weathered a lot of controversy and ridicule from his friends and collegues about his discoveries. Also of interest is his work in coccaine. It is very interesting, but also a bit dry, so if you require high action then this may not be the book for you, but the historians out there will enjoy becuase it also gives a nice glimpse of life in Vie...more
Hermien
The first and the last part are the best, but overall a fascinating read.
Ameya
May 08, 2012 Ameya is currently reading it
This is yet another thoroughly researched masterpiece by Irving Stone, which brings to life the life of the great Sigmund Freud, with all it's idiosnycracies and genius in place. This is a page turner and one cannot but awe at the revelations as they surprise you on every second page.

Very insightful book into the human nature, presented in a beautiful story telling format with Dr Freud as the cynosure of this magnificient biographical treatise.
Anna
Very good biography of Sigmund Freud written in such a different way. There is no dry facts, but a human behind the legend. Freud has doubts, loves his wife and has strong bond with friends he gained during medicine studies. He asks himself - keep his neurological practice without much time for his other interests like hypnosis and hysteria or develop studies just on hysteria and hypnosis.
Mitzi
Very interesting look at Freud's life, and how he came to his game changing ideas about the human mind. As with all of Stone's books, it is a little long - it includes a lot of his different cases, which are interesting but a few could have been left out and not hurt the book at all. Overall a great read!
Catherine  Mustread
Good but lengthy fictional biography of Sigmund "Sigi" Freud and his life and times, covering primarily 1880-1920s. Good overview of the beginnings of the psychoanalytic philosophy and what was happening in the neurology field in Austria and the world during that time.
Don
Pretty fascinating retelling of the life of Sigmund Freud. Stone paints a vivid picture of early 1900s Vienna. At the time this book was written (1960s/70s) the "Freud mystique" was at its apex, and Stone's admiration for the man is obvious.
Derek Baldwin
Yet another of Irving Stone's biographical novels, the subject being Sigmund Freud. Gives a good overview of Siggy's life and works, with the psychoanalytical stuff translated into everyday terms for us proles, which is jolly decent.
Valerie
May 18, 2007 Valerie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: psychology nerds
i stole this book from a homeless shelter i stayed at for a couple of nights when i was traveling in a snowstorm.

it's really looooooooooong. i gained a lot of respect for freud. in college when i studied psychology, i hated the guy.
Gilmar
Awesome book. It's really amazing how he shows you his life in its entirety. I found truly interesting how it describes the process of discovering his theories. This is definitely a book for people with interest in psychology.
Martha
An interesting and fairly accurate account of the life of Sigmund Freud. If you think Freud was all about sex you need to read this book. He was a passionate man of the mind.
Gideon Arulmani
Breaking moulds needs courage. How evocatively Irving Stone shows the vulnerabilities of the of this pillar of contemporary thought. Sigi was a human being too!
Sue
This is Stone's novel about Sigmeund Freud. I can still remember whole sections of this book - the methods of a genius on the cusp of psychoanalysis.
Jeprokop
This is an absolutely fascinating book about the life of Sigmund Freud and the development of his theories in late 19th century Vienna.
Delta
My passion to learn more after reading Frank Tallis mysteries in fin de siecle Vienna. Very interesting though a little tedious at times.
Kathy
Brings Freud to life. For those of us confused with his interpretations, this book puts them in user-friendly terms.
DaveA
A biographical novel of Sigmund Freud by the author of "Lust for Life," and "The Agony and the Ectasy."
Kathleen Danell
Biographic novel about Sigmund Freud. Insights into that period in history, the man, and psychology.
  • The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
  • The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
  • The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha
  • A Division of the Spoils (The Raj Quartet, #4)
  • Duchess of Milan
  • Alone of All Her Sex: The Myth and the Cult of the Virgin Mary
  • Letter from New York: BBC Woman's Hour Broadcasts
  • Self-Analysis
  • The Child Buyer
  • How Long Has This Been Going On?
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
  • Decca: The Letters of Jessica Mitford
  • My Mother/My Self: The Daughter's Search for Identity
  • Spartacus
  • The White Garden: A Novel of Virginia Woolf
  • Sarah's Story (Quantock Quartet, #1)
  • The Flounder
  • Love Always
In 1923, Stone received his bachelor's degree from the University of California, Berkeley. In the 1960s, Stone received an honorary Doctorate of Letters from the University of Southern California, where he had previously earned a Masters Degree from the College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences.

When at home, Stone relied upon the research facilities and expertise made available to him by Esther Euler...more
More about Irving Stone...
The Agony and the Ecstasy Lust for Life Dear Theo Love is Eternal The President's Lady