Start by marking “This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection” as Want to Read:
This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection

This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  7,447 ratings  ·  967 reviews
A touching and hilarious memoir by the author of Carrie and Me: A Mother Daughter Love Story , This Time Together is 100 percent Carol Burnett – funny, irreverent, and irresistible.

Carol Burnett is one of the most beloved and revered actresses and performers in America. The Carol Burnett Show was seen each week by millions of adoring fans and won twenty-five Emmys in its r
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 6th 2010 by Random House Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about This Time Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Time Together

Flannery
Jul 02, 2012 Flannery rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of comedy memoirs, quick audiobooks, Carol Burnett, and emotions
Recommended to Flannery by: Aileen
At the end of each episode of her eponymous show, Carol Burnett would sing "I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together," a short tune written by her then-husband and executive producer Joe Hamilton, and then tug her ear as a reminder to her gran that she was thinking of her. The lyrics are, in part, as follows:

I'm so glad we had this time together,
Just to have a laugh, or sing a song.
Seems we just got started and before you know it
Comes the time we have to say, 'So long.'

There's a time you put aside
Lotusgirl
Why I bought it? I actually didn't buy this one. A friend recommended it highly and lent it to me on CD.

Synopsis: Carol Burnett tells humorous vignettes and memorable moments from her life starting at her childhood and continuing through her rise to fame and beyond.

What I thought? There's a reason I'm breaking my regular schedule for this. I LOVED it. I highly recommend listening to this one. Carol Burnett narrates. She tarzan yells, sings, chuckles, and you chuckle along. It's completely enchan
Misha Crews
Jun 17, 2012 Misha Crews rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Misha by: Karen
Shelves: 2012
Probably the best thing I can say about This Time Together is this: I stopped reading for two days, right before the end, because I didn't want it to be over.

Like many people, I grew up watching The Carol Burnett Show, and I still count many moments of that show as some of the funniest I've ever seen on television. How many TV programs make you laugh 'til you're breathless? Hers managed to do that all the time. This memoir was pretty much as perfect as any fan could hope. It was as if Carol wer
Schmacko
Carol Burnett is one of my heroes, someone who I remember clearly from when I was very little. I often imagined being related to her, as a Patrick to her Auntie Mame. What can I say; I’m one of 11 kids, and I had dreams of a charming and singular exit from destitution. Before my dad married my stepmother, who controlled our Zenith console like a despot ruler, I got to pick one television program a week; it was always The Carol Burnett Show.

This memoir is a collection of cute, funny stories about
Amanda
My parents gave my sister and me a Kindle for Easter which I could go on and on about. Aside from being a wonderful gift, one of the best parts about it is that they are linked. If one of us buys a book then it pops up on all four devices. Another great perk seems to be that I'm going to read books that I wouldn't have ever picked up on my own like this one.

While I remember watching The Carol Burnett Show as a kid, it must have been in re-runs because it went off the air the year I was born. Ev
Emily
Let me start of saying I love Carol Burnett. I find her hilarious and a good actress to boot. This however was bland and boring. I guess its kind of not a biography, or really a memoir. What it is, is tiny stories about people in her life, certain events etc. Each chapter is a new one about a different person or event and is only 3-4 pages long.

This wouldn't be so bad if it were more advertised this way and if the stories were more interesting. She glosses over a lot of things. Saying, things l
Aileen
I've been wanting to write a review about this one for a while (I read it maybe a year-and-a-half ago), but haven't really been able to eloquently speak about how much I love Carol Burnett.

You know how every so often you come across someone who's, quite honestly, the nicest person you've ever met? I have a friend like this (Hi Sonnet!) who'll greet me in the morning with a, "Hey, Aileen! Aren't you looking fabulous today. You're so pretty! And wonderful! And I love you!" and other stuff that mak
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
When I was growing up, everything stopped for the Carol Burnett show. My mother loved the singing and dancing while we kids loved the silly sketches and inventive costumes. Since we had never left the Midwest and didn't go to non-Disney movies in those days, we didn't get some of the references, but that was OK. We wanted to see what Carol's latest mad character would be, or watch Tim Conway crack up Harvey Korman with his wide-eyed innocent look and the "little old man" schtick. (I didn't like ...more
bookczuk
The audio version of this book is read by Carol Burnett, herself, and hearing it in her own voice adds a nice layer to all the stories told. I'd read Ms. Burnett's first book about growing up in an extremely dysfunctional, yet extremely loving family. This was a nice follow-up -- stories of her breaking into show-biz, time on TV, family life, and life after The Carol Burnett Show. There were quite a few funny moments, some poignant, and some really interesting/informational. It was more on the s ...more
Kathleen Hagen
This Time Together, Laughter and Reflections, by Carol Burnett, narrated by Carol Burnett, produced by Random House Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This book got me through a harrowing weekend laughing throughout. Here we have remembrances of people and events, and the back story to scenes for the Carol Burnett show which lasted eleven years and got 25 Emmys. We hear reminiscences of her friendships with Lucille Ball, Jimmy Stewart, Beverely Sills, Julie Andrews, (including a prank that she a
George
ENJOYABLE BUT A BIT BLAND
(Less bland in audio format)

Now, the senility begins/continues. I was at least three hours into the audiobook of This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection, by Carol Burnett, before I realized that the anecdotes I was hearing ware very familiar. Familiar, but none-the-less enjoyable listening.

Sure enough, a quick consult with goodreads.com—my favorite memory outsource—confirmed that I had read an eBook edition of this book when it was first published, three years ago.

T
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Delightful, really. The lady knows how to tell a story. In this one she tells a lot of stories about the great variety of famous people she has had the pleasure to know as friends and co-workers. She is one class act.

Thanks to my sister's college roommate, I will always think of eye boogers when I think of Carol Burnett. For those of you who don't know, that's pronounced "AAH boo-GAHS."
Kathie
Jul 21, 2010 Kathie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoyed Carol's television show.
If you like Carol Burnett, you will like this book. This book includes funny stories and touching stories about her life, her family, and her career as a comedienne, stage and television actress and singer. The short chapters in her familiar, comfortable style reveal anecdotes about those she worked with on her show and others who were guest stars and friends, including Lucielle Ball, Julie Andrews, Carol Channing, Marlon Brando, Jim Nabors, Joan Crawford, Beverly Sills, the list could go on and ...more
Louise
Carol Burnett has written a beautiful memoir of her rise in show business and the people she’s met along the way. With her wonderful sense of humour she tells us of her most hilarious moments to her most heartbreaking moments.

Carol was fortunate enough to work with the best of the best from the comedy world such as: Lucille Ball, Tim Conway, Harvey Korman, and Carol Channing. She worked with the best of actors like: Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, and Marlon Brando. Carol even worked with the hugely
Linda Rowland
Almost a five. I give a lot of fives since I base my stars on how much I enjoy reading something.
She told my two favorite stories so that meant a lot. Only caught one error.
It could have been a series of who I know, but she was honest about the fumbling she did on meeting big stars.
Cheryl
I've always enjoyed Carol Burnett and so I thought I would enjoy this memoir. She is a pillar in the TV industry and it was fun to read the stories of her life in the industry. She keeps things fairly curtained concerning her private life except for her daughter's battle with cancer. I think she keeps the details of her divorces and other relationship whoas at surface level because of her desire not to put down anyone she has had problems in relationships with over the years. I have to admire th ...more
Petra
In the beginning of the book, Carol tells us that this is more or less a collection of stories for her grandsons and she has decided to share it with everybody. I wasn't sure if I would like this approach to a biography. And for some people, I probably wouldn't but Carol was able to pull it off brilliantly. Almost every "story" is just a couple pages so I would 4 or 5 before going to sleep each night. I could hear her voice telling some of these stories. They are funny, sweet, and highlight the ...more
Tara
Marius van Blerck
I listened to the audio book, which Carol Burnett narrated earlier this year (2010). The book is an absolute pleasure, and this is largely because of the author's personality. I loved her long-running show, and it was obvious to me back then that the cast had great fun making the show. The book confirms this, and more, with many fascinating (and some emotional) insights into the life of this wonderful comedienne. She's the aunt, cousin or friend we would have all liked to have. Good on you, Caro ...more
Linda
It was great. I read it in one day and I haven't done that in a lot of years. The chapters were short and to the point. One was less than a half page long. It made the read go faster because I kept telling myself, "I can read just two more pages." She basically answered the most FAQ that have been asked of her over the years. Any fan of her show would enjoy the behind the scenes stories. I have a Nook, but I borrowed this from the Riverwoods library.
Sandi
A feel-good memoir (really a collection of reminiscences and stories) of Burnett's life and career from her first jobs in California, to moving to New York City and landing her first job on Broadway, to her television success. I listened to the audio version read by the author and I think this greatly enhanced the experience. Burnett can still really project her voice and the humor and emotion really came through.
Ann
I enjoyed this book. She has a wonderful sense of humor. She discussed family and show business through the years and she spent at least a chapter on each of her costars from her show. Also mixed in some very humurous stories about everyday life (especially encounters with regular folk). The ending was very touching when she discussed her daughters passing.

Nothing earth shattering here just some good laughs.
Barbara
Carol Burnett is a delight to listen to as she reflects on her life in "This Time Together:Laughter and Reflection". Listening to this on audio book is great because you feel like you're sitting down with Carol and she's telling you some great moments throughout her life and career. She has a great voice and you can't help but laugh at her hilarious stories and sympathize with her when she relays some not so happy moments. But as she said in the beginning, its her life, its her stories and some ...more
Lucia
just started listening to this today and am already on 2nd CD. I love this woman and I love the memories she brings back to me from my childhood.

I have enjoyed listening to this so much that I want to have it as my own. Listening to Carol read this is like having an old friend tell me stories. What a wonderful way to spend time in my car, doing dishes, paying bills.
Marci
Although, I can't imagine listening to a fictional story on audio book, I have really enjoyed listening to autobiographical and nonfiction books on CD, read by the author. I find it most enjoyable and more intimate than reading the printed word. Also, there is less question as to what the author may have meant by a sentence or phrase when they are reading their own material.
Carol Burnett's book is no exception. She is comfortable and relaxed as she tells her narrative. Each chapter is a neat lit
Yara
I just lowered my blood pressure, improved my memory and creativity, boosted my immune system, and relieved some stress by spending some time laughing with Carol Burnett. I laughed so hard at the story of Carol's telegram of her soap opera update that my stomach muscles still hurt. But I didn't just laugh. I cried a little too. Burnett is quite a lady--a class act.
Lane Willson
This book was great fun to read, but I highly recommend listening to the audio-book version recorded by Ms. Burnett herself. As blessed as Carol says she was to have her career to blossom during the birth and pinnacle of variety television, those of us who grew up watching her, her show ran from 1967 to 1978, were even more blessed.

Melody
Warm, sweet and exactly what you'd expect from Miss Burnett. There are some delightful vignettes from her time on television. She doesn't say anything mean or catty about anyone, it's a love letter to her fans, her friends and her family. Nicely narrated by Burnett herself.
Pamela(AllHoney)
I love The Carol Burnett Show and I love Carol Burnett. It was a joy to read this book full of witty recollections and memories. There were stories that included many older actors from years gone by. It was wonderful to hear her meetings and mishaps with them all.
Daniel
Was it just last Sunday I saw this book on the buy-two-get-one-free table at Barnes and Noble?

Having loved Carol Burnett since I first watched her show as a kid, I wondered if she would be as good as writer as she is a comedienne. And I was not disappointed. In a series of short chapters, each recounting an episode of her life or a relationship which endured, this talented lady offers a kind of/sort of memoir. And it was just a delight to read.

I didn't want to put it down when I went to bed and
I haven't laughed this hard since her show 5 24 Mar 07, 2014 04:13AM
  • Child Star
  • It's Always Something
  • My Extraordinary Ordinary Life
  • I, Rhoda
One More Time Carrie and Me: A Mother-Daughter Love Story What Want Grow Up The Tale of Peter Rabbit Dear Carol Burnett: A collection of children's poems sent to Carol Burnett

“Cavort, dear, just cavort” 4 likes