Start by marking “Kimonos” as Want to Read:
Kimonos

Kimonos

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Published (first published October 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kimonos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kimonos

Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen HadenKawaii Bento Boxes by Mieko BabaThe Art of My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao MiyazakiYummi 'Gurumi by Christen HadenSew Your Own Pet Pillows by Choly Knight
Kawaii Culture
15th out of 51 books — 17 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian Falconer
Best little girl books
246th out of 330 books — 245 voters

More lists with this book...

Noran Miss Pumkin
adore the colors and textures of the book design. Chronicle Books comes through again for me. My one regret visiting SF so many times, I never got to their store. The book even has a coolth cloth tag. The are not real Kokeshi-in the traditional sense of the wooden dolls. This book has them dressing up in just, traditional kimonos and fun hair styles=not possible for a real one. The graphic design is great! I would own this book, even if I was not into Japan nor a huge kokeshi collector. This boo ...more
Elaine
Beautiful, interactive children's book about Japanese culture. Love the design of this book!
Rebecca
Jan 26, 2012 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Jodi
Shelves: children, art, asian
I don't want to say anything about this charming book, because it's so beautiful and I want it to my special secret. (Mine, mine, mine!)
Jodi
One of the most exquisitely cute children's books I've seen in a long time. Seriously adorable fun for 4-8 yr old girls.
Amber
This is one of Willow's (by 2 year old Japanese daughter) all time favorite books!
Clare Cannon
May 03, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4-12 years
Shelves: 04-8yrs, favorites
Just two words for this picture book: absolutely gorgeous!
Heather
OMG, seriously the cutest book ever
Leslie
Browsing the shelves, it wasn’t only that Kimonos was faced outward, but it stood out. You can guess why…and it isn’t only because my eye is drawn to red. Once I had it in hand, I knew it was coming home with me. I love these interactive books. And well, I do love pretty things. Kimonos is pretty. Annelore Parot, is not afraid of color and patterns. Her choices alone recommend a lingering look, but most of the activities require an attention to details.

There are games of differentiation and matc
Selena
Cute, but not much else. Even for a children's book there's not a lot of text to actually read... It's more like an activity book (find the Kokeshi that matches, things like that).

I was hoping for more drawings of kimono, or maybe have a kokeshi showing you how you wear a kimono. That kind of stuff.

You'd have to be really big into kokeshi to pay 18 bucks for this.
The Styling Librarian
Kimonos by Annelore Parot – 2011 – Just loved this cute little book about little Kokeshi dolls from Japan interacting with the reader making you seek/find, lift flaps, turn out pages, and more.
Kate Tilton
I loved this book! The art is stunning and it is such a great way to introduce children to another language and culture while also teaching skills such as matching. Well done!
Barbara
This handsome picture book pays tribute to Kokeshi dolls, and introduces four different ones, each of whom is identified by her own particular kimono style. Readers are asked to find the schoolgirl Kokeshis and the class guests in some pictures. In others, they must choose from different hairstyles and kimonos. There are plenty of flaps to lift and colors to savor in this unique picture book. I loved the last page in which readers must lift the large Kokeshi shape to reveal a smaller one, and a ...more
Stephanie
I bought this for my daughter so that we could learn some Japanese. The illustrations are beautiful and I love how interactive the book is. Each page has something to look for or a question to ask or a flap that flips up to reveal something cool underneath. Additionally, on each page are the characters and pronunciation for different Japanese words (days of the week, noodles, etc.) Love it!
Barb Middleton
Hard to read out loud but good for colors and pattern recognition - reminded me of I Spy. Try Aoki as a read aloud. It is better. In this story the 7 year old students were jumping up to look more closely at the patterns and trying to answer the questions. It was too disruptive with 20 bouncing tots. They ooh'ed and aah'ed over the illustrations like each page was a sky full of fireworks.
Monica Edinger
I would have loved this at age seven or eight. Incredibly fun for what it is. Partly because I adore interactive books like this and partly because I adored Rumer Godden's Miss Happiness and Miss Flower for which I got my own versions of the dolls and made all their stuff from the book (still have it in some tiny matchboxes). Now I want these dolls too.
Phoenix
Phoenix really enjoyed this book. Every time we read it she found something new to discover and play with. We even made Kimono doll book marks and she even put in a little play with them. I personally it was just ok but its not aimed for me.
jacky
I had seen this book around for years at the library and finally decided to take it home with us. Natalie loved it. Each page spread has interactive elements. I also like the exposure to a culture we don't see much of where we live.
Kkakaliouras
Great book! I want to use it next year when we talk about culture. We talked this year a little about how dolls often reflect our cultural traditions and the class was enthralled. This book would have been fun to use then.
Molly
I loved this book. It is for children, and it is so interactive- it really makes them think. But the design is very appealing to adult aesthetics, too. I really liked this- it's one I would actually buy for a little kid.
Heather
A-Dorable! A lot of activities inside (vrs story). Find the missing ladybugs, what does the kimono look like from behind.
The illustrations are what elevate it to the next level.
Tif
This book is vibrant, colorful, and 100% adorable. There's quite a bit to look at, and I found myself enjoying it just as much as a kid would(and maybe even more-so.)
Donalyn
A fun, interactive book about Kokeshi dolls that includes lift the flap pages, Japanese calligraphy, and intricate clothing patterns. Beautiful design.
Very cute children's picture book for the hello kitty set. Lots of detail in the drawings and a couple of visual games. Probably best suited for girls.
This book was a lot of fun to look at. There is so much to see on one page and a lot of pull outs to keep little kids interested. Great colors!
Imagine "Where's Waldo?" but with Kokeshi dolls, lift the flaps, cut outs & other layout fun. Awesome gift for girly girls!
Natalie
Cute. Good for kids that like I Spy or Where's Waldo books. It's the same idea, but it's got more style.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Balancing contemporary image and traditional ones.. Diversity within diverse is well intended.
Renee
Nov 02, 2013 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK-1st
3.75 Has cut outs in pages as well as lift in flaps. Cute book.
Edward Sullivan
Cute, interactive book about Kokeshi dolls.
Edward Sullivan
Quite cute book about Kokeshi dolls.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • My Father's Arms Are a Boat
  • Crankenstein
  • Dream Animals: A Bedtime Journey
  • Mouse & Lion
Yumi AOKI Kokeshi Style: Design Your Own Kokeshi Fashions Emi Kokeshi Mix & Match Stationery