Start by marking “American Devil. Oliver Stark” as Want to Read:
American Devil. Oliver Stark

American Devil. Oliver Stark

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A violent killer is stalking New York's streets, and the trophies he will take from his victims are essential if he is to complete his masterpiece. That he also likes playing games with the police and his pray is a bonus. He can outwit everyone he comes up against. Or can he?
Published March 1st 2010 by Headline (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about American Devil. Oliver Stark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Devil. Oliver Stark

Best Crime Books
The Killer has entitled his masterpiece The Progression of Love. All he needs is 7 beautiful women. He is a violent killer who is preying on the young and beautiful women of New York. Detective Tom Harper is currently on suspension after hitting a superior. However, the NYPD feel that he is their best chance of catching the killer. He is taken back on the case on the proviso that he seeks therapy from psychologist Denise Levene. The NYPD have to hope that as unpredictable as he is, that he won't ...more
Carole
My review here http://midletonbooks.blogspot.com/201.... Great first novel will be a real find for crime and thriller lovers.
Peter Wilson
This book was / is my favourite book of the year. I loved it it's fast moving full of twists and turns and relentless until the end . I loved it
Pauline
Start of a series. Good first book. Believable characters. Plenty of twists and turns to keep you turning the pages.
Dylan Edwards
A gritty first novel and i will certainly pick up on the sequel ..
Sara Townsend
Someone is murdering New York City’s rich blonde society girls. NYPD bring in their best homicide detective, Tom Harper, to solve the case. Only, Harper is currently on suspension for slugging a colleague, and the condition of his re-employment is to see a therapist to sort out his anger management issues.

Enter Denise Levine, psychiatrist, and the stage is set for a new set of partners in crime in this debut crime thriller by Oliver Stark. The pairing works well and both characters feel “real”.
Themistokeles
Die Leichen zweier junger reicher Frauen. Ein vor langen Jahren von eienm Jungen begangener Mord in einem Provinznest. Ein kalter, kontrollierter, wahnsinniger Serienmörder. Ein jähzorniger, genialer, suspendierter Cop. Eine emanzipierte, gerissene, junge, gutaussehende Psychologin.

Aus diesen Charakteren und Ereignissen setzt sich der Roman von Oliver Stark zusammen. Der eigentlich suspendierte Cop Harper wird wieder zum Einsatz gerufen, da das NYPD ohne ihn keine großen Erfolgschancen sieht den
Chris Hollinrake
I struggled a little with the first chapter, finding some of the dialogue a bit cliched. However, it soon developed into an absolutely gripping ride, which I read in all of three days.

It's a long book, and a brutal one. Being of a squeamish disposition I'm not particularly exaggerating when I say I had to stop a couple of times to compose myself! It boasts more twists and turns than a lower intestine and in particular the two lead characters became very well developed as it progressed. There's s
Mette
One of the most nerve wracking books I have EVER read! Oliver Stark is so clever - he really knows how to catch my attention. This is really a page-turner, I wasn't able to put the book away if someone didn't take it from me and said it was time to take a break. Both this and 88 Killer are so thrilling! Also, it was refreshing to read something different than YA-novels. They are a bit grotesque at some points, but that just made it even more shocking and thrilling in my opinion. Love it!
Nikul Patel
An excellent story line with good characters. The story moves at a good pace and the psychology aspect within the book is really interesting. Would happily read more books by Oliver Stark.
Bubblestarlet
I enjoyed this crime thriller. It had a good pace and I thought the characters were interesting and worked well together. I would happily read another book by this author
Tina
This was a really good and quick read. It made me want to know how the story goes on because there were a lot of wrong leads and story arcs (but not too many!)so it never got boring.
I also liked the modern interpretation of the "Jekyll & Hyde" story though of course I won't speculate how medically accurate it is just because the author used the label of Dissociative Identity Disorder.
However,this is a thriller so you can't expect 100% accuracy ;)
Mary Ronan Drew
Nov 22, 2010 Mary Ronan Drew rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary Ronan by: Elaine Simpson-Long
An English friend sent me this thriller, which is written by a man from Liverpool. It amazed me that he was able to get correct sight lines from One Police Plaza to the Brooklyn Bridge and details of the geography of Central Park but didn't realize we give going-away parties and gifts and not leaving gifts and that no one in the US has ever used the term "toilet" except to a plumber. I found the mystery gory but certainly very thrilling.
Sheila Beaumont
A terrific debut police procedural/thriller, set in New York City, by a very talented British writer named Oliver Stark. It's a serial-killer thriller, but, with its complexity, well-drawn characters, psychological depth and fine writing, it's one of the very best of that subgenre I've read. American Devil hasn't been published in the States yet, but I'm hoping it will be soon, and I'm eagerly awaiting more books by this excellent author.
Jan Howard
Mar 09, 2011 Jan Howard added it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a thriller
A brilliant read from a new author, keeps you gripped from the first to last page. If you don't mind a little bit of gore, but a lot of tension then this book is for you, the anti hero Harper is well drawn as a character, and you just know he will survive for another book, and become someone you will want to read about again. Jonathon Kellerman watch out !!!
Judy Brunner
Wow, this book was so gripping, couldn't put it down.
Really good serial killer/detective story with lots of twists until the end.
I think this was his first book and will definitely being reading others that he writes.
Su
Ok so I didn't read past about page 25... this could be the worst book I ever tried to read. Dialogue was hideously dead and stupid. Nothing else rang true, either. How did a publisher ever accept this?
Peggy

Sehr genialer Thriller! Flüssiger Schreibstil und tolle Story. Vor allem der Umfang und die verschiedenen Handlungen waren echt gut. Einer der besten, die ich gelesen habe.
Gabrielap.paula
Great book. The only problem is that I failed to undestand the real nature of the relationship of Tom and Denise. Is love supposed to grow or they are just partners?
Philip
I loved this book and this author, my only complaint is that he does not have more books that I can read. Very gritty action throughout with great characters.
Elly Salford
I am reading this book now and i really enjoying reading it, best crime books i ever read of Oliver Stark and i hope he writes more
Laurie Carrico
loved the starting of this book, but i struggled in about the middle of it. was an ok read but i probably wouldn't recommend it
Elaine
I absolutely loved this book, couldn't put it down. Well written and very clever
Sean Goh
Body count increases at a steady rate in this fast-paced thriller, worth checking out!
Maxine
Did not like it -stopped in disgust at p 100.
Chitra
Quite good.
Mareike
Mareike marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Jolie King
Jolie King marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Der Trakt
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • Death Notice (Kat Campbell #1)
  • The Death of a Mafia Don
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • Random
  • Thorn
  • The Colour of Death
  • Unspoken
  • Bad Blood (A DI Charlotte Savage Novel)
  • The Bone Parade
  • The Coroner (Jenny Cooper, #1)
  • Wink Murder
  • Mr. Clarinet (Max Mingus, #1)
  • Where the Devil Can't Go
  • The Blood Detective
  • The Killing Room (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #6)
88 Killer The Swallow Interkulturelle Kompetenz ALS Wettbewerbsfaktor International Agierender Unternehmen Interkulturelle Kompetenz ALS Wettbewerbsfaktor International Agierender Unternehmen