Start by marking “Putting the one minute manager (r) to work” as Want to Read:
Putting the one minute manager (r) to work

Putting the one minute manager (r) to work

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  27 reviews
How to apply the key techniques learnt in One-Minute Manager. This is the companion to the original blockbuster bestseller which has transformed businesses around the world. This is the essential companion volume to The One Minute Manager, the international bestseller praised by top managers around the world. This book shows how the One Minute management techniques can be ...more
Published March 15th 1988 by Berkley Trade (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Putting the one minute manager (r) to work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting the one minute manager (r) to work

Reid
Jan 05, 2010 Reid rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leaders, managers
Good 'how to' book on management.

Some good ideas I gleaned from the book:

"People who produce good results feel good about themselves."

One Minute Praisings: be specific, tell the person exactly what they did right.

When to deliver a One Minute Reprimand vs work on One Minute Goalsetting: when a person is unwilling -- OMR, when a person is unable -- OMG.

ABCs of Management:

A = Activators (What a manager does before performance,ex. OMG)
B = Behavior (Performance: what someone says or does, ex. WT or t
Aaron Raphael
I suspect this book was written as a follow-up to the original book due to implementation issues faced in reality.

Basically, a typical performance management system was added on top of the basic principles of One Minute Management so that it can implemented practically in reality.

Nonetheless, as always with books in this series, it is a quick read and shows how this can be achieved in engaging story-telling format.
Kim
I read this book only because I bought it as a package deal with The One Minute Manager. To summarize my review of The One Minute Manager, I thought the book might be helpful for anyone who has never managed people before, but it was really nothing life-changing for anyone who has managed others.

This book is considerably more useful to the experienced manager. I approached this book with a slightly closed mind; however, I actually plan to implement some of these strategies at my business. Overal
Alissa
Debbie
Read this as a follow-up to the 1st book in the series (because my library had both of them) and it was a great extension, laying out the steps for implementation. Love the way both of these books are written as allegories ... so readable.
Jeffrey Fike
Great, easy to read story incorporating a ton of the better practical operations and administrative management concepts of the recent past. Building on The One Minute Manager, this book is an invaluable companion to the original, providing you subscribe to the theory or practice of One Minute Management.
Sunny in Wonderland
This was kind of hokie. There were one or two small aha moments, but nothing to really write home about. The information is still valid, but presented with some very dated attitudes. And, occasionally, I felt like I was reading an after-school special. Especially that whole Hank story.
Mohammed Agbawi

I'm thankful for this book. Since it adds three new techniques (goal, admiring and blaming ) for one min. It was for me the same technique of my previous boss (god blessing him) for admiring and blaming only.

Beth Dufraine
I still have this book (almost the same dust cover image), but the ISBN is: 0-688-02632-X
The image I have is stored on my flickr account at:
Ganesh
it's good for the people in management, the way of power and responsiblities delegation, the way to collect reports of job completed/ uncompleted are really learnable.
Art Sathoff
Pretty basic, pretty common sense, but I can see how these very common sense ideas are powerful when put into action. Some very good basic management advice here
Gina
This is an excellent follow up to the One Minute Manager and real skills that you can put to use right away at work. It's a fast read and well worth the time.
Jeff
Another excellent book in this series. I highly recommend all of them. I found the examples in this book very good and easy to apply.
Vanessa Williams
This is a great book. I love the whole "One Minute Manger" series. If you are in a manager position, you have to read them.
José
A brief yet effective book that conveys common sense tips on how to get better results from your employees.
Cathy
OK...but overly wordy for the subject matter (like most of these types of books)
Vikna
Very easy reading with a good lesson though it will take more than a minute to learn.
Dina
I thought this was a very useful book. It is a quick read and had some helpful tips.
Robin
Jan 02, 2009 Robin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shouldn't be hard to read, right? So why haven't you? Put it to work for you.
Rusty
Excellent book filled with techniques for managers to use in the workplace.
Jacob
A very necessary follow up to the one minute manager
Maha
a great guide to mesuering performance effectively; )
Jim
A good book as are all of Blanchard's books.
Lynn
Loved it. Quick to read and useful.
Shelley
Sooooo dreadful!
Olli Kytömäki
Olli Kytömäki marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
La Fullwood
La Fullwood marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
  • Influence Without Authority
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • How to Work for an Idiot: Survive & Thrive-- Without Killing Your Boss
  • One Minute Sales Person, The: The Quickest Way to Sell People on Yourself, Your Services, Products, or Ideas--at Work and in Life
  • The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • Managing With Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations
  • 100 Ways to Motivate Others: How Great Leaders Can Produce Insane Results Without Driving People Crazy
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Successful People
  • Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding
  • The First-Time Manager
  • Ordinary People, Extraordinary Wealth: The 8 Secrets of How 5,000 Ordinary Americans Became Successful Investors--and How You Can Too
  • How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Optimal Thinking: How to Be Your Best Self
Blanchard was born in Orange, New Jersey and grew up in New Rochelle, New York.He attended New Rochelle High School, graduating in 1957. He completed a BS degree in government and philosophy at Cornell University in 1961, a MA degree in sociology and counseling at Colgate University in 1963 and a PhD degree in education administration and leadership at Cornell University in 1967. As an undergradua ...more
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...
The One Minute Manager Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service Gung Ho! Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership

“People have trouble admitting there are problems, but everyone has an area he or she would like” 2 likes