Start by marking “The Telling (Seasons of Grace Series #3)” as Want to Read:
The Telling (Seasons of Grace Series #3)

The Telling (Seasons of Grace #3)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  2,640 ratings  ·  154 reviews
BEVERLY LEWIS, born in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country, is The New York Times bestselling author of more than eighty books. Her stories have been published in nine languages worldwide. A keen interest in her mother's Plain heritage has inspired Beverly to write many Amish-related novels, beginning with The Shunning, which has sold more than one million copies. The ...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Baker Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Telling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Telling

Andrea Guy
This book is truly groan worthy. The only reason I suffered through it, is because I read the first two in this trilogy.

I love Amish fiction, and I think that's why I'm drawn to Lewis' books. She's the Danielle Steel of that genre. And like Steel, too many books has taken away the "goodness" in her stories.

Everything is too formulated now. Perhaps that's the fault of a publisher that wants to make money off trilogies, when Lewis' stories would better be told in one longer volume.

That's the pro
MAP
Lynda
Well, I goofed. I thought this was Book 2 of the Triology called "Seasons of Grace". I figured out it might not be #2 about 3/4 the way through. Didn't bother me though because I never missed #2. Literally you can skip #2 completely and it won't hurt this book at all.

DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IF YOU HAVE NOT READ #1, "The Secret". You won't enjoy this book if you do.

I have to agree with some other reviewers who have voiced they are very tired of trilogies that are not very long when it could be one
Beverly Telfer
The story was very predictable. As soon as I read that Heather was adopted, I knew what was going to happen, but the worst thing about this book is Beverly Lewis implying that a special diet will cure cancer. I think that is VERY irresponsible of her. Hopefully no one will be influenced by this book to bypass medical treatment and treat cancer with some kind of diet!!
Janice Aitkens
I read this on the Kindle

This was a great book & a great series you do need to read the 3 book series in order

It tells of a mother who leaves her home she has a secret then it goes to tell a story of how the family are missing her & her struggles the last book which is the Telling you learn what the secret is & if all comes right
Anne
Meh, I think I might've had a little too much Amish fiction recently. The previous books were kind of soothing, but this one just felt like quilt- and making jam-yada yada to me. Also, it was a bit more religious than the previous two, which is not really my cup of tea.

I'm glad the story is finally wrapped up and all the loose endings were tied together, but really, I think it could've been told in 2 books as well. This one mostly involved prayers and heartaches and stretching the latter one ou
Kristin
The Telling is part 3 in the Seasons of Grace trilogy by Beverly Lewis and it is absolutely the best out of the three. I bawled through half of the story because it was just so beautiful!

In this book, Grace and her new friend Heather take off to Ohio in search of Grace's mother who has left her family under mysterious circumstances. They arrive, only to find out that Lettie has already left and Grace is forced to return home without her. She returns home with a heavy heart as the brethren are di
Title: THE TELLING
Author: Beverly Lewis
Publisher: Bethany House
May 2010
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0573-6
Genre: Inspirational/Amish

Grace Byler and her English friend, Heather, have left Grace’s Amish community to seek for Grace’s run-away mother. The brethren are discussing shunning Lettie Byler if she isn’t home within a week. Grace and Heather do a lot of talking on the long car trip, getting to know each other better, but the arrival in Ohio doesn’t help them find Lettie at all. Instead, they discover s
Mindy Detweiler
I received this as an MP3 download from Christianaudio.com for my honest review. I received no payment for this review.

From GoodReads.com: Grace Byler leaves Bird-in Hand in a fancy car to search for her mother in Ohio. But what if Lettie Byler doesn't wish to be found? Meanwhile, Lettie continues her private quest to find the missing piece of her life. As clues take her from state to state, she is increasingly torn between the family she has left behind and the yearning for her long-lost child
Jennannej
The Telling is a sweet tale set in and around an Amish community of believers. As the book opens, Grace leaves the community to search for her missing mother, along with an "Englisher" friend. She returns home unsuccessful, but her mother does follow her home shortly after.

Grace's mother has a secret that she can no longer keep. Telling the secret will change the way their family is viewed in the community and affect the course of their lives.

The book deals with faith, past sins, forgiveness, co
Mayda
In this final novel of the Seasons of Grace trilogy, Lettie Byler is still searching for her lost child. Having left her family and the Amish community, she is seeking to right the mistakes she made years before, at the insistence of her parents. Her husband and children, especially Grace, are bewildered and hurt by Lettie’s disappearance. Her search is not fruitful, and she returns home in disgrace to face her family and the elders of the church. She may be shunned or she may be forgiven, but t ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
The third and final book in the Seasons of Grace series. Like the previous two, this one picks up right at the end of the second book. Grace searches for her mother as Lettie searches for the child she gave up for adoption and Heather searches for her own answers. When Lettie returns home from her trip empty-handed, she must confess her past to her husband Judah and her church, a telling that could ruin her life forever, but one she must fulfill in order to heal.

As answers do finally come for ev
Rachael
More like 2.5 stars-- I really liked the first two books in this trilogy, so I had pretty high hopes for this one. Maybe it's been too long since I read the second book, but it just seemed like the conflict between Grace's parents seemed to magically disappear suddenly. I know that the Amish truly believe in forgiveness, so I get that part. But it just seemed like one page their marriage is completely rocky, and the next they've fallen in love all over again. I don't know.

I also had a problem wi
Brittany
Apr 15, 2010 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beverly Lewis fans, those intrigued by Amish, Christian romance readers
With great ease, by book #2 I discovered the long hidden secret. So why did I keep reading? To finish the series? No. Lewis writes about the Amish in a way that intrigues you past the point of her usually not well hidden plot mysteries. Being very intrigued by the Amish as it is, I feel Lewis has a very real insight into their lives and brings forth the Amish lifestyle in a refreshing way.

The love stories intertwined are always a reason to keep reading, because sometimes, despite them being the
Brenda
Upon finding out her mom is Ohio, Grace sets off with her Englisher friend Heather to bring her mom home. Her mom not knowing her daughter is coming for her, leaves before Grace arrives. Grace returns home heartbroken, wondering if her mom knew and was trying to avoid her.
Heather returns home and enters detox at the wellness center. I will note that I learned a lot from her stay at the wellness center, I actually changed the way I eat because of this book, so it was unexpected to say the least.
Veronica
Enjoyable and Thought Provoking

My rating is specific to this book because I felt the first 2 books dragged a little. This book tied up all the loose ends, which always makes me happy. Learning about Amish culture was interesting and, now, I want to visit a store just like Grace's.

There was only one "negative". I couldn't help but think that the results of Lettie's confession were too good to be true. Can any entire community be so forgiving? I would like to think so. The ending wasn't realistic,
Becki
This is the third and final story in a series about an Amish woman who gives up a baby for adoption that was conceived out of wedlock. only she and her parents know about the baby and it burdens her for twenty years until a series of events leads her to look for the child. She leaves without telling her family where she is going causing difficulty and confusion for them.
The story is beautifully written and the lives of the Amish are entwined with the woman who has know clue of her Amish roots.
Clara Roberts
This was an excellent novel. The theme was about a hidden sin committed years ago and its long term effect on the believing participate, her family and her community. The details of the confession of sin in the Amish community was vivid. Confessing ones sins before a whole congregation is awful. I felt this was a well researched and well written novel.
Staci
Nothing brings a smile to my face like knowing that I'm about to read another Amish novel by Beverly Lewis. I love how my world seems to slow down and I really appreciate my life around me. Even though the mystery in her books is always easy to figure out, I still get excited when I get to venture into the Plain world. In this series, I thought Lewis did a great job of melding the Englisher and Amish lifestyles, showing that the two worlds can live in peace together. I found the idea of two Amis ...more
Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

This third book in the Seasons of Grace series is wonderful story of God's grace and redemption in our lives. I enjoyed the simple, yet deep storyline that brought to life a tale we are all too familiar with.

It was easy to follow yet held several unexpected turns or "hold ups" before the conclusion was found. The narration is wonderful and so authentic on this audio version that it drew me into the story even more than it would have through reading the book myself. I appreciated how th
Taylor
Lettie finally decides to come home, after her long search, which means she's going to have to confess if she wants to rejoin the Church. Heather starts her naturopathic treatment at the Lodge, with support from her newfound friend Grace, and an a Christian guy she met online. The conclusion to the book was all-around a good ending. I mean, I was expecting a bit more drama between Lettie and her husband before he forgave her. It was like, one page he's in shock and the next she's forgiven and it ...more
Giulia Fiora
Sweet story

this was a great ending to the book series. I figured out the twist in the second book and enjoyed each second of it. Would definitely recommend to anyone who loves Lewis's books.
Gail
Darlene Roy
I think this series is my favorite yet. The Telling wraps up the story of Grace's run away mother and I love the ending. I recommend as a must read series - Seasons of Grace.
Angie Dixon
Awesome

this was such a great book, I wish there was another one in the series so we could see if Heather is well and married.......
Nancy
Grace's Mother has left home, and Grace as a young Amish woman, has asked a new acquaintance to drive her to Ohio to try to get her mother to come home. Her mother has been given a certain amount of time to come home, or she will be shunned by the Amish community. The mother has gone to try to locate her 24 year old daughter, who was given up for adoption, when she was sixteen years old.

This is from Seasons of Grace, Book three. I will have to look for the fist two books.
Miranda Forner
Finishes the trilogy in typical fashion. Not too many surprises, which is good when thinking is not part of the game plan.
Sue
I thought this was a very good series. The three books followed each other very easily. I thought the ending was great although I figured it out about half way through the last book.

This series a great story about how a family stuck together after bad things happened and accepted each other despite their faults.

I thought it was well written and easy to follow. There was some Amish language in it but it was explained so you were not wondering what was being said. I plan on reading more of Beverly
Barbara
I had forgotten how enjoyable Beverly Lewis is as a writer; it had been a while since I've read one of hers. I won't wait that long again. The plot held my interest, and I really enjoyed the characters of Grace, Heather, Lonnie, and Lettie, and found the emotions that Jakob and Adah experienced seemed realistic. The only negatives were that the plot seemed very predictable, and the wholistic/naturalistic medicine portion of the storyline concerned me. There were not a lot of indications that it ...more
What are some 'gut' Amish books 1 5 Jun 22, 2014 09:30PM
  • A Sister's Test (Sisters of Holmes County, #2)
  • Plain Paradise (Daughters of the Promise, #4)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
More about Beverly Lewis...
The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1) The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1) The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2) The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3) The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4)