Start by marking “AEIOU: Any Easy Intimacy” as Want to Read:
AEIOU: Any Easy Intimacy

AEIOU: Any Easy Intimacy (The Girlfriend Trilogy #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  981 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The final chapter of Jeffrey Brown's so-called "Girlfriend Trilogy." AEIOU continues to explore the subtleties of relationships examined in Clumsy and Unlikely, concentrating this time on the differences between knowing and loving someone, invoking the reader's relationship with the book as a parallel to being involved with someone. The story is told with Brown's trademark ...more
Published June 28th 2005 by Top Shelf Productions (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about AEIOU, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AEIOU

Jamie Felton
I actually liked this particular homage to Jeffrey Brown's girlfriend-opedia the very best. His relationship with Sofia has a lot of holes where you're left wondering what exactly went on; however, the point is that it doesn't matter. In the same way that silhouettes create shapes in negative space, Brown manages to convey feelings and disappointment without spelling it out; you have to read between the lines.
Allison
This was on the chair in my living room last night, so I read it. There are dozens upon dozens of graphic novels like this, and I fully don't understand why they get published. I didn't find it particularly original or interesting or witty or romantic or thoughtful or deep or any other thing that I look for in books. I wasn't even very fond of the art - I'm not sure how much time went into those scribbled drawings and boring dialogue. As for the story line. . . snore. What makes him think he's i ...more
Joy Barr
This was the 3rd Jeffrey Brown book I gave to my ex, but this one I gave to him after we'd broken up. My ex would blog about Jeffrey's books to his fans, which I thought would be great exposure for an author I really liked, but my ex always called him Jeffrey Smith, who I also like, but is a completely different graphic novelist. I read AEIOU while it sat on my bedroom floor before my trip to visit him for Valentine's Day. I felt like this book was less intriguing than the previous two, much lik ...more
Avrille
Cute, sweet and based on assumptions, the book explores the subtleties of relationships tactfully and beautifully.
C2015
This moved me. The drawings weren't great but usually they got the point across and there were times when i wasn't sure what he was getting at but he really conveyed certain aspects of being in a relationship well. I read it all in one day and enjoyed it.
Rob Renteria
fucking little bitch, jeffrey brown....he is such a whiny mutherfucker.......

and yeah, i luv his books.......this is the final inthe trilogy of great fucking relationship books.....

so, he is a little baby....wah, arent we all....

yeah all of us r....and thats what makes him a bad-ass........2 put it out there..........the good, the bad,,,,,the fucking embarassing......

i read this book in 30 min....but it will stay with me for 30 yrs....damn, i sound like a bitch!!

best line....Q..DO YOU STILL BELI
Dosgallos
El final de la trilogía no cierra con mucha fuerza, pero es la historia de lo que vivimos y nos da fuerza para seguir creyendo.
Ben
Same old Jeffrey Brown girlfriend comic.
Brian Cruz
Another great book by Jeffrey Brown. Not as self loathing as Funny Misshapen Body or Clumsy but not as moving as Unlikely(his best work imo). Like Unlikely in terms of story but more light hearted and seems to go through the story at a faster pace. If you've read Jeffrey Brown before you know what you're getting into and already are dead set on reading it. Otherwise, I'd read Funny Misshapen Body(full auto-bio of his life up to writing clumsy) or Unlikely first.
Mark Desrosiers
Brown's spare episodic depiction of his brief dalliance with an NWB (Nutcase with Benefits) is cute and economical. But I can't help thinking the reason she comes off as a nutcase is he leaves most of his own foibles out of the story (he admits as much in the postscript). I'm only giving it two stars because the "soundtrack" of wuss music (Radiohead, Cat Power, Pedro the Lion, Amelie soundtrack etc.) at the end ruined the whole experience for me.
Casey
Nov 28, 2007 Casey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes auto-biographical comics
This is the third of the "Girlfriend Trilogy" and the one with the least coherent storyline. The pages are not always in chronological orger nor do they tell a whole story at times. That all said, none of that actually detracts from the book at all. It and his other two are great! When i read them I find myself feeling like I'm in the books. Jeffery Brown is certainly someone I's emulate in style.
Olivia Malik
Mentions too much crude humor and ***.
Kari
I just read this again because it was at my parent's house! This last book in his "girlfriend" trilogy is wonderful and reminds me a lot of college. HOWEVER, I can never get it out of my mind how the woman portrayed must feel, since all her friends and family must know it was talking about her. I would be pretty angry if it were me.
Matt Piechocinski
I was going to give this book 2 stars, as I thought it was just too emo-y, until I got to this part:

"Do you still believe in love?"

"Yeah, I just don't believe in girls."

Took me right back to being in my 20s. I mean, who hasn't felt that way? Brutally honest.

(I suppose it works the same way with girls (re: boys).)
Megankellie
Apr 22, 2010 Megankellie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cynics who don't want to be
Wonderful, beautiful, rips your heart out and throws it down the street. Or makes it expand past your body. I read this standing in a bookstore in like 20 minutes, although it could have been an hour.

I hope he calls this Humanity Cartoons. If I could eat this book, I would. Or sleep on it.
Lorra Fae
This was sweet - I liked it just as much as all his others, but there were a lot of gaps, I suppose I like a more linear style - these were very short, and occasionally a bit confusing, and the ending was abrupt. I still really liked it, however. JB has a wonderful, sparse, emotional style.
O'Rissa
May 01, 2008 O'Rissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to O'Rissa by: Fate
I've read this thing in the bookstore at least 3 times, finally I managed to save up the $12 to actually buy it. I love everything about this book, so much of it reminds me of my life and the people in it.

Thanks, Jeff. You're the best for that.
Karen
I think this is my favorite Jeff Brown book so far (I still have a couple more to read). Everything in it is so fragile and heartfelt, even the size of the book. I was deeply, deeply moved by it. It makes me want to run out and get more of his books!
Lindsey
Jeff Brown writes sweet little comics about his real life relationships. Mostly they are snippets of the relationship but they flow together to tell bittersweet and awkward (but true to life) stories that anyone can relate to.
Amanda
Aug 28, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers and fighters
Recommended to Amanda by: tom and amy
This book is adorable. It reminded me of the sweetness and realities of past relationships. I could see those common emotions in the characters eyes. genius.
Rrrrrrruuuuuddddyyyy
Yeah, living through this relationship in real life was quite the rollercoaster. Re-living it through this book made me miss those + and - times. As odd as that is.
Davey
Slightly out of the 'Oh come on, I can do this,' judgement. Good ear for dialogue. Simple. Published, most importantly of all. I can't do that yet.
Abbey
Jan 27, 2009 Abbey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
heartbreakingly awesome. here's to reading comics that freakishly relate to your life. kisses to jeffrey brown! he rules!
Elizabeth
Read this several years ago and remember it really affecting me in the way that Jeffrey Brown's books always do.
Brian
Nice little book about the forming and breaking of a relationship, and how people in general can be a little messed up.
Stephen
Like many comic book authors, once he started to get laid the quality of his work declined dramatically.
Christopher D Salyers
Tiny, pocket sized collection. The illustration style is crude, but it's cute nonetheless.
Sara
Another along the lines of Clumsy and Unlikely. If you liked those, you'll like this.
Emily
Bought this today in Quebec City and read it over lunch. This guy gets LIFE! The end.
Carina
a bit slow but with an element of painful honesty that kept me til the end
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • The Living and the Dead
  • Capacity
  • Lucky
  • American Elf: The Collected Sketchbook Diaries, Vol. 1
  • The Acme Novelty Library #16
Jeffrey Brown was born in 1975 in Grand Rapids, Michigan and grew up reading comic books with dreams of someday drawing them, only to abandon them and focus on becoming a 'fine artist.' While earning his MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Brown abandoned painting and began drawing comics with his first autobiographical book 'Clumsy' in 2001. Since then he's drawn a dozen books fo ...more
More about Jeffrey Brown...
Darth Vader and Son Vader's Little Princess Clumsy Unlikely Star Wars: Jedi Academy