Start by marking “The Tent of Abraham: Stories of Hope and Peace for Jews, Christians, and Muslims” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Tent of Abraham is the first book to tell the entire story of Abraham and to reenergize it as a basis for peace. Written by three leaders belonging to different faiths, the book explores in accessible language the mythic quality and the teachings of reconciliation that are embedded in the Torah, the Qur'an, and the Bible.
Published June 1st 2007 by Beacon Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Tent of Abraham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tent of Abraham

Tim
Jul 25, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some would call me an atheist, others would call me an agnostic, and still others would refer to me as someone who is open spiritually. I usually find myself not limited by definitions, especially when dealing with religion. Literalists and fundamentalists might view me as blasphemous, as not deserving of contact or conversation when it comes to the idea of questioning the meaning and existence of what we refer to as “God”. I have experienced this with family members and especially friends who u ...more
Daughters Of Abraham
Aug 15, 2014 Daughters Of Abraham rated it really liked it
Shelves: cross-religion
This book gives three interpretations of the Abraham/Sarah/Isaac/Hagar/Ishmael story. It lent itself to a wonderful, wide-ranging discussion. A small caveat about the possibility of touching on political aspects of the Middle East, but that was not a problem for us. (Review By Sudbury Group)

We could have spent two months on this book to allow everyone to read it thoroughly. The authors tell the story of Abraham and his family through the lenses of all three faith traditions. There is a lot of c
Victoria
Oct 10, 2009 Victoria rated it really liked it
This was a very informational book regarding the lines drawn between the three most controversial monotheistic religions of our time. Each few chapters is written by a leader of the Hebrew, Christian and Muslim religion. It focuses more so on how truly relative these religions are and the similarities should in turn eclipse the differences that divide them. It closes with the efforts that women in these groups have had over the years in uniting all women with and the education of the children. " ...more
Jill
Mar 10, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
I think I would actually give this book 3.5 stars. There were parts of it I really liked, but I was disappointed with other parts. I also think future readers need to know that the three authors who contributed to this book are not necessarily representative members of the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim communities. I read this book with an interfaith discussion group, and the Muslims in the group wanted the rest of us to know that we should not assume that most Muslims are represented by the aut ...more
Leah
Mar 18, 2016 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting study about the Abraham story as examined by the 3 faith traditions of Christian, Jewish and Muslum.
Stephanie
Mar 05, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Interesting to read the perspectives of 3 Faith traditions.
Allison
Mar 19, 2009 Allison rated it it was ok
A series of essays where each author/religious expert provide an in depth discussion on particular OT stories/figures. It started out good but quickly dissolved into redundancy. The Abraham Connection is a much better work on the topic. I ended up dissappointed.
Sheryl
Nov 02, 2011 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Currently on page 79. Reading along with various texts for classes. Interesting getting three veiws (Christian, Jewish, Muslim) about our Abrahamic father.

Finished. It was a great comparison. Not difficult reading. We can all only hope for peace.

Jaci
Apr 21, 2009 Jaci rated it really liked it
Fascinating comparison of the Abraham stories from the three major religions that consider Abraham integral to their theology. All three writers focus on this "ancestor" as a common point of reference to any Middle East peace process today.
Hope
Oct 29, 2008 Hope rated it really liked it
A wonderful book stressing the commonalities, rather than the differences, between Judaism, Christianity and Islam. The world needs this kind of thinking NOW. See also "Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths," by Bruce Feller.
Beverly
The author uses the story of Abraham, Sarah, Hagar, Ishmael and Isaac to lead us to paths to peace for Israelis and Palestinians as well as ideas we could use for our personal peace.
Amy
Apr 06, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
This book showed me that we aren't so far apart, if women ruled the world there would be peace, AND most importantly, if we could get politics out of religion, we could all get along.
Primadea
Sep 14, 2010 Primadea is currently reading it
while people are free do crass disrespectful things , many don't consider whether its in good taste or appropriate ..

we [people] are pretty short on good manners and respect .
Kathleen
Sep 20, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book I cannot put down. Gives me a new lens (and heart)through which to see much of the world.
Sheepngoat1
Jan 01, 2010 Sheepngoat1 rated it it was amazing
A deeply conscious sharing from three remarkable persons representing the Abrahamic traditions -
Shayna
Shayna marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
saralailie
saralailie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Bill Lawrence
Bill Lawrence rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
May 02, 2016
Marilee Howsam
Marilee Howsam rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Dheeba
Dheeba marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
John V.
John V. marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Hawwa Shakeela
Hawwa Shakeela rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Elizabeth Soboeiro
Elizabeth Soboeiro marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Willow Tribe
Willow Tribe marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016