Start by marking “The Lumby Lines” as Want to Read:
The Lumby Lines

The Lumby Lines (Lumby #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  815 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
Nestled in the Northwest is a quaint little town that its quirky residents are proud to call home. With charming shops lining its one main thoroughfare, Lumby is home to the oldest apple tree in the county and the smallest bank in the state. And though it's hours from the nearest big city, readers will always find Lumby close to their hearts.

When Mark and Pam Walker, a v
Published May 1st 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Lumby Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lumby Lines

Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Disappointing. I could not finish it. I'd seen it compared to Jan Karon's Mitford series and I loved those books. This was like a flat, pale attempt at imitation, and one that tried too hard. While I've seen these characters described as quirky, I saw very little character development and nothing to make me care about them. I think what was most difficult for me was the strange mix of tenses. It wasn't a first person narrative, but the mix of tenses was odd and incredibly distracting.

The book h
Caitlin
Feb 21, 2010 Caitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caitlin by: Erin
Shelves: library
If I could, I would give this book 2.5 stars. It was an enjoyable rural read whose episodic adventures made it perfect for bedtime reading. It resembles Jan Karon's work in its plucky, helpful-neighbor, small-town way. It turns out you can do anything with a can-do attitude and forgiveness can serve as a panacea. Ultimately the lower rating came down to Fraser's writing style. Dialogue could be stilted, events sometimes felt trite or contrived, and realism seemed to be irrelevant as some of mode ...more
Marlo
Dec 27, 2011 Marlo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up based on a recommendation by What Should I Read Next website because I liked the Mitford Series. There is no comparison. While the Mitford characters are charming and interesting, these characters and the story line fall flat. I wound up skimming through much of it just so I could finish the story. The most interesting character is a pink plastic flamingo, if that tells you anything.
Pat
Aug 22, 2009 Pat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No No No Characters are cardboard cutouts - no personality. I felt I was seeing a version of the TV ad about the kid at school. Joe did this, Jane did that, Harry did this etc etc.

My original comments was:A sweet quiet story of an imaginary town in the NW of the US. Think Mitford without the annoying pastor. Good summer relaxation.
Elaine
May 01, 2009 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Noteworthy news in Lumby might be a car meeting up with a deer. A telephone call to the sheriff could be a moose in someone's yard or perhaps 2 goats dining on paper money in a bank vault .

Outsiders are not easily welcomed, get blamed for things that the townspeople don't like, and the townspeople don't like the idea that out-of-towners are taking over Montis Abbey to restore it and make a hotel out of it. Folks are spreading gossip without knowing what's going on. Someone's even threatened to s
Marcia
Nov 01, 2012 Marcia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't intentionally seek out books about small towns, but there is something unavoidably charming about rural areas, neighbours who know each other, a town newspaper which prints stories using first names and a main street full of mom-and-pop shops. I picked up The Lumby Lines while I was on holidays in a my favourite small town this past summer. It was a blustery and rainy day--the beach was deserted and the library was full of big comfy couches and creaky wooden floors. The Lumby Lines seeme ...more
Lydia Presley
Mar 06, 2010 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, comedy, 2010, cozy
If you've ever lived in a small town The Lumby Lines will seem pretty familiar to you. If you've never lived in a small town, The Lumby Lines might just make you wish you did.

The bulk of this story is about a young couple, Mark and Pam Walker, who move from the East Coast to a little town named Lumby. They find Montis Abbey, a ruin that was destroyed by a fire years before and work on restoring it.

This book had me reaching for a cup of tea and snuggling under a blanket, sighing with happiness an
Apr 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
From My Blog...[return]Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest lies the quaint town of Lumby with its eccentric inhabitants and a nearby burned-out Monastery. A typical morning may consist of the bank president phoning the sheriff's office to complain about discovering goats locked in the vault consuming thousands of dollars or an over-zealous reporter hoping to find a scoop. So begins The Lumby Lines by Gail Fraser, the first in her Lumby series. Things become livelier in the town of Lumby when Mark ...more
Diane C.
Oct 05, 2012 Diane C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer's review says it for me.....

"What an adorable book! Truly! This was a cute, feel good, warm hearted story, which is something I don't read very often. I don't know why, I just don't. Maybe because most of them sound trite. This one didn't."

Warm and fuzzy about middle class profesionals, if you're in the mood for that. Great vacation book.

Melee
Aug 30, 2011 Melee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though I tried not to, it's hard not to compare this book (and the other Lumby books, presumably) to Jan Karon's Mitford series. And, well, this book is the dyed sugar-water to Mitford's 100% fruit juice. There was very little characterization and, quite frankly, I got bored. It's a pleasant enough read, I suppose, but hardly the best in the small-town genre.
May 31, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started this book, I wasn't sure I could get into it. I was wrong. After the first few chapters, I was hooked. I greatly enjoyed the characters and the day to day living they did in a small town. I look forward to reading more in the Lumby series.
Glenn
Nov 24, 2008 Glenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama-light
2.5 stars. Not a "must read" where I'd highly recommend it, but not bad either - for those who like light drama with a lot of "country charm". This is a book that could be used on a Hallmark TV special.
Marian Bart
Nov 14, 2014 Marian Bart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the moments of quaint charm and moose-related humor, I had to put it down. The misplaced modifiers and other bad sentences were too painful.
Lanette
Sep 15, 2009 Lanette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was just okay for me... kind of like the secular version of Mitford. Don't know that I liked it enough to read the sequels.
Wendy Hines
Jun 01, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lumby is a little town located somewhere in the northwest. A town of old-fashioned values, charming shops, and quaint townsfolk. Most of the shops are located on the second floor of their buildings, which only adds more charm to the shops and much healthier shopkeepers!

The town's paper, The Lumby Lines, is published weekly and the highlight of it is the Sheriff's report. You never know what you will find in the sheriff's report. Could be a moose on the loose with a tricycle caught on his antlers
Theresa
Apr 01, 2010 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely book! The story takes place in Lumby which reminded me of a modern day Mayberry. The folks are friendly, but suspicious of outsiders until they prove they are worthy of being accepted. (How realistic of small town life that is.) The sheriff and members of the community could be anyone of any small town. I know I can see some of those Lumby residents in my own neighborhood. I find the people and the mischievousness that happens in Lumby to be quite realistic.

I really enjoyed this st
Mishel Zabala
Mar 21, 2010 Mishel Zabala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
I wasn't going into THE LUMBY LINES with many expectations. The synopsis sound decent at best and I had never heard of Gail Fraser before. I enjoy working with the people with FSB Associates however, and am always happy to receive a query through the email. And it's at these times, when I dont' expect a book to be much, that I'm overjoyed to find a sweet little gem of a read in the most unexpected places!!

THE LUMBY LINES isn't a ground-breaking novel, however I was so surprised by how much I end
Claudia
Mar 27, 2012 Claudia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment! I purchased this book for two reasons: (1) It had a bargain basement price on Amazon and, (2) Most reviews compared it favorably to Jan Karon's Mitford series. In truth it's only similarity to "At Home in Mitford" is the size of the town. As I read the book, I became more and more convinced that the author had never visited the locality she chose for her setting. Little details betray her as an easterner, such as calling the top law enforcement officer in the town of Lumby ...more
Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)
There is a discussion question at the end of the book mentioning about readers who want to escape to Lumby soon as they finish the book, since it appears to be a place where life is easier, people are more honest and communities are closer. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to go to Lumby.

I think...
When The Lumby Lines begins, Simon Dixon, the sheriff, has just entered his office to hear of 3 complaints: some kids have been catapulting chickens over goalposts; a woman complained that each ti
Aug 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Mark and Pam Walker decide to chuck it all and follow their dream, which is something I can support. (I would do mine tomorrow if I could.) They love and support each other, and are all around good decent people. Normal people if you will.

The town of Lumby is what one thinks of when you sa
Teri
Aug 30, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Teri by: my Outreach Librarian
As I am a fairly new client of our Regional library's Outreach Program and our Outreach Coordinator looks around for books for me to read, I noticed two weeks ago, the first three books in this most delightful series on my online account, so looked them up, as I'd never heard of them or the author. I just finished this first of hopefully many volumes of this wonderful quirky ficticious small town of Lumby, Washington. This first volume is the story of Mark and Pam Walker, who move from Virginia ...more
Diana
Mar 31, 2010 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Taken from my blog.

The change of voice from a teen to an adult was something that I had been looking for a while, just to see how it would be like. I have to say that I enjoyed reading this book for a change.

The Lumby Lines is fun read that follows the story of Mark and Pam Walker. They are a couple that are looking for something different than the lives that they have lived up to that point. They have to choose if they really want to give up that life and then they have to adjust to the change
Joyce Lagow
Located 10 hours east of Seatle, most likely in Montana, Lumby is just about everyone’s dream small town. Quaint, filled with eccentric people and drug-and crime-free (well, depending on whether or not you classify a “borrowed” potbelly pig flying through the air from attached balloons as crime), it’s a lovely place. So, it doesn’t come as a surprise when Mark and Pam Walker from Virginia, “down-Easters,” fall in love with the place and decide to turn an abandoned monastery into an inn.

The book
Bookworm
May 18, 2010 Bookworm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lumby Lines is first in a series of five books. Lumby is a cozy little town, whose local newspaper 'The Lumby Lines', reports all the goings on of the community and its residents.
Montis Abbey was once a monastery, but has since been destroyed by a fire. While on vacation, Mark and Pamela Walker stumble upon the previous monastery. They decide to make a break from their hectic lives and purchase the Abbey. They plan on restoring it and turning it into an Inn.
As Pam and Mark are hard at work
Cheryl
Mar 15, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Married couple, Mark and Pam Walker is on their vacation, when they stumble upon the small town of Lumby. It is in Lumby that the Walkers discover their dream come true. There was an abbey, Montis Abbey that burned down a long time ago. The abbey is nestled on a bunch of land that overlooks an orchard. The Walkers purchase the abbey. They decide to turn it into a bed and breakfast. They people of Lumby are excited to have new life in the old abbey. Well most people are excited. William Beezer, o ...more
Sahar Sabati
Nov 01, 2013 Sahar Sabati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was by far one of the most delightful books I have read in a long time.

The Lumby Lines: A Novel is much more than a story set in a little town; rather, it’s the story of a small town. The author provides for a wonderful journey straight into the heart of Lumby as well as an exploration of the nature of what makes small towns anything but boring. For those of you who know the show, Lumby Line: A Nobel reminds me a lot of the Canadian TV show Corner Gas; by the last page of this book, just li
Teresa
Apr 18, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Synopsis from the back of the book:

Nestled in the Northwest is a quaint little town that its quirky residents are proud to call home. With charming shops lining its one main thoroughfare, Lumby has the oldest apple tree in the county and the smallest bank in the state. And though it's hours from the nearest big city, you'll always find Lumby close to your heart...

Nearly destroyed by fire, Montis Abbey remains a ruin on the outskirts of Lumby. Once home to a resourceful order of monks, it stands
Staci
Sep 11, 2010 Staci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Staci by: FSB Associates
Shelves: 2010-reads
1. Words to describe the book: comfortable, funny, touching, quirky

2. Location or characters you met:

* The town of Lumby: I want to live there!! The description of Lumby and the front cover just makes me want to be there. This town is alive and a vibrant character in this story.
* Mark and Pam Walker : They're a couple who has it all and risk it for their dream life. I liked them both immensely and could see myself being friends with them.
* The monks: I liked their simplistic way of life and h
Patty
May 08, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! I think I want to move to Lumby!
In some ways I think I did.
What a fun and delightful book full of some of the quirkiest characters I have ever met. I didn't want to leave...
Pam and Mark Walker would vacation in Lumby and loved the feeling of peace that they found there. On one trip they discover the burned out Montis Abbey and decide to buy it, refurbish it and open it as an Inn. But small towns are not always welcoming to newcomers and they face some challenges along the way. On the othe
Angela
Apr 21, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-away
I found The Lumby Lines to be an incredibly enjoyable story. The characters were interesting and often quirky. Although I only learned bits and pieces of some of their stories in this book, I can tell there is much more to discover. I really enjoyed how Fraser wove in the description of the town, the sections of the newspaper, and the background on the characters right along with the main plot of restoring Montis Abbey. Although it took me a little time to get used to the jumps between these ide ...more
Time Line? 2 9 Jan 13, 2010 06:00AM
  • A Can of Peas
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • The Gardens of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #2)
  • Song Of The Orange Moons
  • Celebrity Chekhov: Stories by Anton Chekhov
  • Inklings (The Oxford Chronicles #1)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)
  • An Irish Country Girl (Irish Country #4)

Lumby (5 books)
  • Stealing Lumby (Lumby, #2)
  • Lumby's Bounty (Lumby, #3)
  • The Promise of Lumby (Lumby, #4)
  • Lumby on the Air (Lumby, #5)