The Misunderstood God: The Lies Religion Tells About God

The Misunderstood God: The Lies Religion Tells About God

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  41 reviews
THE MISUNDERSTOOD GOD tells the truth about who the Creator is. This book analyzes what religion says about God's heart and personality and measures it up to what God calls Himself: Love. It simplifies a generation's tangled perceptions of God by taking a journey through the sixteen aspects of love described in one of the most well-known Bible passages in the world: 1 Cori...more
Published November 23rd 2009 by Windblown Media (first published November 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Misunderstood God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misunderstood God

Angela Wu
May 05, 2012 Angela Wu is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Before you read this. I AM BY NO MEANS TRYING TO INVALIDATE THIS BOOK. I love the message of Grace, in fact I wish there was more throughout this book. I guess you can call this suggestions.

I'm half-way through this book, not super fond of his writing style. He makes a lot of absolute statements as well as thoughtless connections that may be interpreted the wrong way. I get what he's trying to say though. But the problem is, I shouldn't have to try to deduce what he means because of his undevelo...more
This book takes some key phrases I hear in church and calls them "lies". The author explains how God is our Father and compares our relationship to Him with our relationship to our own children. He is very much of the opinion that certain aspects of church such as the tithe are Old Testament theology where as the New Testament covenant is based on the 1 Corinthians 13 idea of "God is Love". Thae author does not use a lot Bible verses to back up his explanations, and that made me uncomfortable. I...more
4fabfelines Cox
this is a fantastic book about the Love of God and the lies that religoin portrays. Darin gives real life examples from his life and from others to help you along in the book. Some of the lies told about God are:
He is the angry God, He is the jealous God, He is holding you accountable, God is watching you, always waiting for you to mess up.
This book is clear and easy to read and is a very good book to give someone hurt by religion
Shelli
I can empathize with the person who has grown up in the church, receiving a picture of God as a divine manipulator, angry, condemning, disinterested, etc.. For those who have, I HIGHLY recommend this book. However, this is not how I was raised, and after reading this book, I am SO GRATEFUL that I was raised under the arms of a loving God.
Bart Breen
God's Word is More than Words. What Tone do you Hear in His Voice?

I'm going to disclose that I purchased this book fully expecting to be challenged by it because I've had an opportunity from a distance to get to know the author by participating on his web-site, listening to his podcasts and reading his blog. In addition, knowing this book was presented by Windblown Media, the publishers of The Shack, So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore and He Loves Me! Learning to Live in the Father's Affe...more
Barbra
I received a comlimentary copy of this book from the publisher and Goodreads. Of course, I had to flip through it and check it out. Should it go to "the top" of my reading shelf, on my "to read" shelf or "when I get time" stack of books?

Out the door I went to an appointment, and as I turned to lock the door I grabbed the book and dropped into my bag. Normally, I dislike waiting, however I became so engrossed in this book that I forgot the time. I found myself thinking that if I would hurry I mi...more
Brian Hodges
This book was recommended to me by my father-in-law who says it has completely changed the way he looks at God and religion and how he, a pastor, preaches about both. He bought the book for me because he was curious what the "atheist's perspective" on it would be.

The book's basic premise is essentially that we should strip away everything else we've learned about God and what it means to be Christian and boil it down to one simple concept: "God is Love". When we look at Him through that perspect...more
Johnny Brooks
I cannot say enough good things about this book. If one allows it to speak to one's heart, what this book is saying, can lead you into magnificent places in your life. It can help you get on the path to knowing the heart of God.

For that is what this book is about, the heart of God. Darin has not written a book of theology or doctrine. He has not written us a method or formula for knowing the heart of God.

He has simply pulled back the curtain on religion and shown us the man manipulating the leve...more
Stephen Carpenter
This is an amazing book that challenges some of the things that we grew up in the church hearing, and replaces those things with a God who loves us so deeply. Based on 1 Corinthians 13, Darin Hufford walks us through the qualities and characteristics of God to show us that we are in relationship with a loving God who wants His very best for us. I highly recommend this book!
Brit Schlaybach
Overall a good read, but I am rating this book at three stars for the following reasons:

1) I wasn't "surprised" by most of what Hufford had to say in regards to our false ideas about God, ideas that Hufford calls "lies". But I personally have also spent a good deal of time reflecting on our (my) misrepresentations of who God really is, so in many ways Hufford was just reflecting some of my own thoughts. I don't mean that to sound arrogant... just that this book would likely be more appreciated b...more
Rose and I read this together and loved it. It is a wonderful book to get you thinking if nothing else. A wonderful reminder that God IS love.
Rebekkah
I love it. It really got me thinking about how I see God
Glenn Turner
In "The Misunderstood God", Darin Hufford addresses (what he sees as) common misunderstandings God from the perspective of a former "pastor" and one who was highly invested in institutionalized Christianity.

Hufford explains in part why he rejected his former spiritual path within Christianity, in pursuit of connection with God and consequently, -with people. He does not specifically name a denomination; but the universal issues he raises appear to pertain particularly to evangelical and fundame...more
Sue
This is an amazing book. Taking the famous passage about love in I Cornithians, the author looks at one facet at a time. Since God is love, and love is defined as patient, kind, and so on, he explains what these terms mean. He also points out how most of the world - including much of the church - has twisted the meanings of the words so that we tend to see God as anything but loving.

There are several anecdotes which made it more interesting; the writing is clear and enjoyable to read. I was glad...more
Sheila
Mar 29, 2010 Sheila rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheila by: http://moreofhim-lessofme.blogspot.com/
Shelves: bgw, religion-faith
A very easy to read, well written, and often times funny book, based on verses from 1 Corithians 13, "Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

The author explains wonderfully his view that God...more
Emily
Feb 18, 2012 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theological
I'm not finished yet, but so far... He has some very interesting points that I think would be beneficial for many. However, I can see how this book may be a stumbling block for most Christians as much of what he has to say is a complete paradigm shift from what they have been taught.

Also as far as his style of writing... I am not so fond of it. He tends to make blanket statements (black or white) when in fact there may be other options. And he is not the clearest writer ever.

Right now I am enjo...more
Tracy Elliott sisson
My only challenge in reading this book was my desire to hold onto old fallacies taught to me earlier in my life. THIS, my friends, is TRUTH!! And I am ever so grateful for it!!!
Lesley
I liked this book so much that I recommended it to a group of friends to read and discuss. It is so simple, which is exactly what Darin is trying to get across about God. He says that people waste so much time trying to find deep 'truths' that they miss that Jesus was a 'what you see is what you get'person and that He was and is everything that is love. Darin exposes much of what is passed off as truth in churches but is really contrary to the love of God. If you want to know God and what He is...more
Michelle
When I recieved this book I was extremely excited to recieve it. As an agnostic, I am constantly looking for books that provide an impartial and academic view on religion and spirituality. This book simply was not what I was looking for. Darin Hufford is very one sided and portrays his beliefs as the obvious truth. An already established Christian would enjoy this book more than someone who is trying to find an objective view on god.
Megan Hansen
For some reason I expected this book to be more of an encyclopedia of information and not Hufford’s personal story and journey as he found ‘the truth about god.’ But it wasn’t a disappointing discovery, Hufford’s narrative is easy to get into and he makes good arguments as well as insightful observations. I’d recommend this book to anyone honestly looking for religious answers, because some, if not all of this book might speak to you.
Kay
Three "walk-away" quotes:

The great counterfeit of kindness is manipulation.

*When you have a “forever” mindset…you take great care of your relationships.

God…incredible patient….never envies anyone or anything…never rude…not self-seeking…doesn’t delight in evil….is never tempted to follow lies and fantasies…He trusts me…His heart doors are open all the time, without exception…
Heidi
This book changed my views on religion, on my relationship with God and changed my life! I recomend this book to everyone. If you dont think of yourself as a religous person or question your faith or whether you question where you are with your relationship with God I think this book may help you find your way or at least make you feel a lot more comfortable with WHO you are.
Gaye
Hufford has done a good job of reminding us that God (or the idea of God) is good and larger than some individuals would have us believe. I read one or two chapters and skimmed the rest. The main gist of it is that God is not hateful, set on revenge, keeping score of our wrongs, or a number of other negative ideas designed to "put the fear of God into us".
Dayna Reid
Based on 1 Corinthians 13, "the love chapter" of the Bible, the author takes the verse and substitutes the word "love" with the word "God" (i.e. "Love is patient, love is kind ..." becomes "God is patient, God is kind") to depict a more accurate refection of the nature of God as love, rather than the God of wrath.
Esther Park
I want to read this again. I liked it and it got me thinking a lot on my perception of God. The author who is also a pastor, shares his life stories to make the connections about the topics he's on which helps the reader to make more sense of what he's talking about.
Ruben
I beautiful read that reveals Gods heart towards humanity: Love. I think this book will go down as a classic gem. Darin is able to portray Jesus in a way that religion doesn't and probably will never be able to do. I believe it to be a must read for anyone.
Aleshia Robinson
ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS WRITTEN. AWESOME CLARIFICATION OF 1 CORINTHIANS 13 ON THE LOVE OF GOD! DARIN BREAKS DOWN EACH LOVE CHARACTERISTIC IN A RAW, ORGANIC AND NO HOLD BARS FASHION. I LOVED THIS SERIES SO MUCH I BOUGHT THE CD TEACHING.
Candy
Nov 03, 2011 Candy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone over 16
Recommended to Candy by: Marc
This is probably the best, most truthful, eyeopening book I have ever read in terms of Gods love for us. I would HIGHLY reccomend this book to Christians, those searching for 'something,' and everyone else out there.
Melissa
Won this on first reads.

I think at one time or another everyone thinks about things that do not make sense to their mind. This is a good book in that it discusses some of those things about God.
Leah
Completely changed my life. I am so thankful for this book! It has allowed me to get off of the performance treadmill I have struggled on since childhood. It is a MUST read! Grace and peace...
  • He Loves Me!: Learning to Live in the Father's Affection
  • Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the Unlikely People Who Help You)
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • Unveiled: The Hidden Lives of Nuns
  • Finding God in Unexpected Places
  • Your God is Too Small
  • Christian Theology: An Introduction
Wie Is God Regtig?: Die Leuens Wat Godsdiens Ons Laat Glo The Misunderstood God: The Lies Religion Tells about God The God's Honest Truth