Start by marking “Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy” as Want to Read:
Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy

Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy

After an elderly man jumped from New York's Pulitzer Building in 1911, his death made the front page of the New York Times: "World Dome Suicide a Famous War Spy." By then Pryce Lewis had slipped entirely offstage; but, as Gavin Mortimer reveals, the headline did him justice, speaking to the dramatic, vitally important, and until now untold role he had played in the Civil W ...more
Published August 17th 2010 by Walker Books (first published August 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Double Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Death

Joan Porte
Nov 27, 2016 Joan Porte rated it liked it
This book could have had much better, tighter writing. However, it is an interesting story of this by spy other spies pervasive during the Civil War.
Carrie
Aug 03, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
I won this ARC off of first reads.

This book is a great account of a forgotten Union spy. Perfect literature for history, spy and Civil War fans.

In order for me to appreciate non-fiction, I have to go into that mode and usually I can. I have to step out of wanting to be entertained (by good fiction) and step into wanting to learn something true.

***Spoiler alert***

Shortly after immigrating to United States in 1856, Pryce Lewis joined a detective agency, run by Allen Pinkerton. This agency soon b
Shannon Futch
Dec 26, 2014 Shannon Futch rated it it was amazing
From the last paragraph of the book, "Nevertheless, despite his six frustrating months in Washington, Pryce Lewis was one of the most successful spies of the Civil War, and he was certainly the most unsung. Greenhow immortalized herself in her book, as Belle Boyd did in her memoirs, and Lafayette Baker did in his. In his own account of the war Pinkerton tooted Webster's horn nearly as loudly as his own. But no one lauded the achievements of Pryce Lewis."

Until now, nobody gave this man his dues.
Angela
Jul 26, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
I recieved this as a goodreads first read giveaway. It's a true story based on civil war spy Pryce Lewis. He did a great service to our country and was all but forgotten.
I had a hard time getting into this novel at the beginning. Although the book is well written. History is not my genre of choice. I believe that says something about the author's ability as a writer. By the end of the book, I was very fond of Pryce Lewis and saddened by his mistreatment by both the U.S. and his home country, E
Dale
Jul 16, 2010 Dale rated it really liked it
Shelves: first_reads
Superb look into people's antics and thinking during the Civil War. Some were honorable, others were driven by greed, power, revenge, fear, or plain stupidity. Hhhuuummm... Sounds a little like today in America.

I could imagine the battle scenes, the motivations (or lack thereof) of people caught up in war, and the fear that Pryce Lewis endured as a spy for the North.

Excellent word pictues throughout added to my knowledge of the Civil War in a "behind the scenes" way as seen throught the eyes of
Sandy
Sep 10, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it
I won this book through goodreads first reads program.

I usually prefer fiction to non-fiction, but this book was so well written that I had trouble putting it down.

It's the true story of a spy during the Civil War. It's written in a non-stuffy style, unlike so many other books on history. You learn quite a lot about the individuals as well as receiving good coherent/cohesive background information on the Civil War.

If you are in to Civil War history, it's a must read and even if you're not, yo
Mark
Jul 27, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Interesting story (though bookended by deep sadness about how his life ended) of Pryce Davis, a Union spy during the early years of the American Civil War.

I am curious at how the author arrived at his conclusions regarding the veracity of Davis' memoirs as opposed to the stories about Confederate spies like Belle Boyd & Rose Greenhow (sp?).
Susan
Jun 10, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A must for anyone who is interested in Civil War or spy history. The reader will not only find thoroughly researched and detailed information on the life and activities of Pryce Lewis but also of all people and places involved. An orderly extensive list of sources makes it easy for anyone to see where Mortimer obtained his information but will also aid in any personal searches.
Katie H
Jul 30, 2010 Katie H rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through the first reads program.

I thought this was a very interesting account of the spy agencies during the Civil War. I knew little about the subject before reading the book. I found the content to be well-researched and informative. The life of Pryce Lewis is somewhat sad, but I enjoyed reading the story.
Daniel Brown
Oct 16, 2015 Daniel Brown rated it liked it
The title and writeup were pretty intriguing, so I had to try it out. I thought it dragged and I thought a lot of the war events that were covered were in here just for fillers. Sorry to say, I was a bit disappointed.
Mindy
Aug 25, 2010 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
Very interesting. Sad to see how the government repaid all his loyal and hard work. Too bad his family didn't reach out a little sooner.
MBP
Jul 16, 2010 MBP marked it as unfinished
Shelves: first-reads
This was actually pretty good - I just put it down because I had other things to read with deadlines, and I never got back to it. Hope to finish it sometime.
Sara
Jul 16, 2010 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-nonfiction, own
The story of Pryce Lewis was interesting, but not always engaging. I certainly want to know more about Civil War spies though!
Matt
Sep 21, 2010 Matt rated it liked it
Interesting book. I'd never heard of the guy, but he played a big part in some much needed Union victories.
Jamey Rivera
Jul 12, 2011 Jamey Rivera rated it did not like it
While the story is intriguing, this book was written so...poorly...I couldn't stay awake. Boring as all get out.
April Fleming
May 18, 2011 April Fleming rated it really liked it
Totally fascinating and fun to read. Story of a Civil War-era spy who worked for Allan Pinkerton and the Union. Well-researched, cleverly-written and suspenseful. Read like a good spy novel.
Mary
Apr 27, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Very interesting look at Pinkerton's spy network in Richmond. Pyrce Lewis' story was intriguing, but tragic. Mortimer does a good job telling the entire story.
Darkavenger
Darkavenger rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Joanna
Joanna rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Lisa Campbell
Lisa Campbell rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
R_
R_ rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Ayah Ayesh
Ayah Ayesh rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2016
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2013
Ken Vanderoef
Ken Vanderoef rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2011
Ashley White
Ashley White rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
Bibendum59
Bibendum59 rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Amie Adrian
Amie Adrian rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • Roosevelt's Secret War: FDR and World War II Espionage
  • Zig Zag: The Incredible Wartime Exploits Of Double Agent Eddie Chapman
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler
  • Our One Common Country: Abraham Lincoln and the Hampton Roads Peace Conference of 1865
  • Stealing Secrets: How a Few Daring Women Deceived Generals, Impacted Battles, and Altered the Course of the Civil War
  • The Napoleon of Crime: The Life and Times of Adam Worth, Master Thief
  • Grant Takes Command 1863-1865
  • Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor
  • The Siege of Washington: The Untold Story of the Twelve Days That Shook the Union
  • Paris-Underground
  • The Wolves at the Door: The True Story of America's Greatest Female Spy
  • Perfect Spy
  • The File: A Personal History
  • Mr. Lincoln's T-Mails: The Untold Story of How Abraham Lincoln Used the Telegraph to Win the Civil War
  • The Revolt of Gunner Asch
  • That Devil Forrest
For a detailed biography, to learn more about all the books I have written and to discover my forthcoming projects, please visit my website at the above link.
More about Gavin Mortimer...