Start by marking “Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy” as Want to Read:
Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy

Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  15 reviews
After an elderly man jumped from New York's Pulitzer Building in 1911, his death made the front page of the New York Times: "World Dome Suicide a Famous War Spy." By then Pryce Lewis had slipped entirely offstage; but, as Gavin Mortimer reveals, the headline did him justice, speaking to the dramatic, vitally important, and until now untold role he had played in the Civil W ...more
Published August 17th 2010 by Walker & Company (first published August 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Double Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Death

Shannon Futch
From the last paragraph of the book, "Nevertheless, despite his six frustrating months in Washington, Pryce Lewis was one of the most successful spies of the Civil War, and he was certainly the most unsung. Greenhow immortalized herself in her book, as Belle Boyd did in her memoirs, and Lafayette Baker did in his. In his own account of the war Pinkerton tooted Webster's horn nearly as loudly as his own. But no one lauded the achievements of Pryce Lewis."

Until now, nobody gave this man his dues.
Carrie
I won this ARC off of first reads.

This book is a great account of a forgotten Union spy. Perfect literature for history, spy and Civil War fans.

In order for me to appreciate non-fiction, I have to go into that mode and usually I can. I have to step out of wanting to be entertained (by good fiction) and step into wanting to learn something true.

***Spoiler alert***

Shortly after immigrating to United States in 1856, Pryce Lewis joined a detective agency, run by Allen Pinkerton. This agency soon b
Angela
I recieved this as a goodreads first read giveaway. It's a true story based on civil war spy Pryce Lewis. He did a great service to our country and was all but forgotten.
I had a hard time getting into this novel at the beginning. Although the book is well written. History is not my genre of choice. I believe that says something about the author's ability as a writer. By the end of the book, I was very fond of Pryce Lewis and saddened by his mistreatment by both the U.S. and his home country, E
Dale
Superb look into people's antics and thinking during the Civil War. Some were honorable, others were driven by greed, power, revenge, fear, or plain stupidity. Hhhuuummm... Sounds a little like today in America.

I could imagine the battle scenes, the motivations (or lack thereof) of people caught up in war, and the fear that Pryce Lewis endured as a spy for the North.

Excellent word pictues throughout added to my knowledge of the Civil War in a "behind the scenes" way as seen throught the eyes of
Sandy
I won this book through goodreads first reads program.

I usually prefer fiction to non-fiction, but this book was so well written that I had trouble putting it down.

It's the true story of a spy during the Civil War. It's written in a non-stuffy style, unlike so many other books on history. You learn quite a lot about the individuals as well as receiving good coherent/cohesive background information on the Civil War.

If you are in to Civil War history, it's a must read and even if you're not, yo
Susan
A must for anyone who is interested in Civil War or spy history. The reader will not only find thoroughly researched and detailed information on the life and activities of Pryce Lewis but also of all people and places involved. An orderly extensive list of sources makes it easy for anyone to see where Mortimer obtained his information but will also aid in any personal searches.
Mark
Interesting story (though bookended by deep sadness about how his life ended) of Pryce Davis, a Union spy during the early years of the American Civil War.

I am curious at how the author arrived at his conclusions regarding the veracity of Davis' memoirs as opposed to the stories about Confederate spies like Belle Boyd & Rose Greenhow (sp?).
Katie H
I won this book through the first reads program.

I thought this was a very interesting account of the spy agencies during the Civil War. I knew little about the subject before reading the book. I found the content to be well-researched and informative. The life of Pryce Lewis is somewhat sad, but I enjoyed reading the story.
April Fleming
Totally fascinating and fun to read. Story of a Civil War-era spy who worked for Allan Pinkerton and the Union. Well-researched, cleverly-written and suspenseful. Read like a good spy novel.
Mary
Very interesting look at Pinkerton's spy network in Richmond. Pyrce Lewis' story was intriguing, but tragic. Mortimer does a good job telling the entire story.
MBP
Aug 09, 2010 MBP marked it as unfinished
Shelves: first-reads
This was actually pretty good - I just put it down because I had other things to read with deadlines, and I never got back to it. Hope to finish it sometime.
Mindy
Very interesting. Sad to see how the government repaid all his loyal and hard work. Too bad his family didn't reach out a little sooner.
Sara
The story of Pryce Lewis was interesting, but not always engaging. I certainly want to know more about Civil War spies though!
Jamey Rivera
While the story is intriguing, this book was written so...poorly...I couldn't stay awake. Boring as all get out.
Matt
Interesting book. I'd never heard of the guy, but he played a big part in some much needed Union victories.
Wendy Scodeller
Wendy Scodeller marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Thomas Todd
Thomas Todd marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Mmp13
Mmp13 marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Charles Gorman
Charles Gorman marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Argum
Argum marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Rosella
Rosella marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Abby
Abby is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • Zig Zag: The Incredible Wartime Exploits Of Double Agent Eddie Chapman
  • The Wolves at the Door: The True Story of America's Greatest Female Spy
  • Roosevelt's Secret War: FDR and World War II Espionage
  • The Napoleon of Crime: The Life and Times of Adam Worth, Master Thief
  • Grant Takes Command 1863-1865
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • The File : A Personal History
  • Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler
  • Stealing Secrets: How a Few Daring Women Deceived Generals, Impacted Battles, and Altered the Course of the Civil War
  • Perfect Spy: The Incredible Double Life of Pham Xuan An, Time Magazine Reporter and Vietnamese Communist Agent
  • Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor
  • Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring
  • A Pickpocket's Tale: The Underworld of Nineteenth-Century New York
  • The Siege of Washington: The Untold Story of the Twelve Days That Shook the Union
  • A Game of Spies
  • Twilight at the World of Tomorrow : Genius, Madness, Murder, and the 1939 World's Fair on the Brink of  War
  • Copperheads: The Rise and Fall of Lincoln's Opponents in the North
For a detailed biography, to learn more about all the books I have written and to discover my forthcoming projects, please visit my website at the above link.
More about Gavin Mortimer...
The Great Swim The Longest Night: The Bombing of London on May 10, 1941 Chasing Icarus: The Seventeen Days in 1910 That Forever Changed American Aviation Merrill's Marauders: The Untold Story of Unit Galahad and the Toughest Special Forces Mission of World War II Stirling's Men: The Inside History of the SAS in World War II