Start by marking “Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation” as Want to Read:
Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation

Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This tribute to Alexander McQueen (1969-2010) celebrates the genius of an iconic, imaginative and inspirational fashion designer with a catalog of more than 125 catwalk photographs of his work with commentary from Kristin Knox -an experienced fashion journalist -and tributes and quotes from prominent people in the fashion world. It includes photographs from his last collec ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by A&C Black (first published May 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Alexander McQueen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alexander McQueen

Mariℓina
2,5 Stars!
I loved the beautiful cover -mostly because 2009 Fall along with Fall/Winter 2008 are my favorite, no matter the controversy- and most of the pictures the book containes..

The introduction is very flattering but when the timeline of his work starts i found some mishaps..

I think a bit of his dream-like vision is captured very nicely in this book and the fact that he was firstly an artist at heart and then a designer.. But Alexander McQueen had another well-known side more dramatic, bois
Megan
Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation is an ambitious title for a work meant to address the legacy of a man who was clearly one of the greatest sartorial artists of our time; and while this book does provide a solid introduction and overview of Alexander McQueen's work, I'm afraid overall it falls short of my expectations. Aside from being full of wonderful photographs, there isn't much going on here. The text is riddled with problems: several of the photos are incorrectly dated; and the des ...more
Christine
I find myself torn as to what to rate this book. Alexander McQueen is, as the book is appropriately titled, a genius. His creativity, talent and attention to detail is second to none. Since a majority of this book is images from his collections I would feel it should get 5 or more stars. Now as far as the actual book (setting aside the amazing images), it seems as if it was a rushed production and hastily thrown together. There are only a few pages with actual information about the late designer ...more
Cat Woods
Fashionistas and artlovers were devastated by the suicide of designer Alexander McQueen in 2010. Inarguably, he was gone too soon, but not before he blessed the design and fashion world with his incredible visions materialised. He was the Lewisham-born lad who was would have looked equally at home traipsing through the council estates with his pitbulls as he did on the catwalk. In fact, he would have looked much more comfortable on the street.
A 16-year old dropout, he managed to secure an appren
Shannon Barr
Regardless of the minimal text, the book is absolutely visually stunning. I do feel however, the layouts could definitely have used more visuals.
Sammy
More style over substance with this book. It is visually stunning, but then how can McQueen's work not be.
The commentary by Knox is poor, verging on pointless. Knox doesn't add anything to the work in terms of knowledge of the inspirations and processes behind the collections. It seems to be a very ill informed approach. The book is also pitted with errors and inconsistencies. For instance McQueen's S/S 2001 show are cited correctly within the text but the image titles are inaccurately labeled
Cowgirlgem
The photos in this book are gorgeous!
The writing, however, is quite minimal.
This would not make a very good reference book if that is what you are looking for.

It focuses almost exclusively on catwalk images with nothing on how he advertises, how his clothes are made and very little on celebrity wear.
Photo descriptions are limited to the show the look appeared and a a description of the image.
Heather Yarnell
Perhaps an adequate, if abbreviated, introduction for the uninitiated, this is by no means the all-encompassing tribute that it claims to be. Littered with errors and an overabundance of Lady Gaga mentions, and condensed to the point that some collections are represented by a mere single image, the main emotion this book left me with is frustration. I don't know how many times I was internally bemoaning that a certain piece was not included. If you're looking for a comprehensive and artfully don ...more
John Matthew
Cory Gaskins
Although it's interesting to read how the author analyze clothes and the themes behind them, her perpetual McQueen-ass kissing is a bit unnerving.
My housemate saw this book and he commented, "This guy has to be gay. He hates women. He makes women dress up in these ugly clothes." I am unconvinced as to the greatness of McQueen's talent even after reading this book.
Jenn
This book really feels like a hastily assembled tribute magazine with a heavier binding, but it's great to have a lot of those magazine images neatly bound instead of shoved into a folder in my filing cabinet. I'm sure I'll still hang onto it even once I've gotten whatever future comprehensive catalog of his work is produced.
Daniel Anderson
I love McQueen's work so much. That being said, I liked this book because of its wonderful photos, but didnt LOVE this book because of its lack of information. Its a great book for browsing and introducing his work to others, however, and since I got it at a discount, I was more than pleased with what I got.
Rizky Puji
the book provide a brief background and introduction to the designer. Along with about 100-pages gallery of his design over the years. I think the book will be a good introduction to the designer and his design aesthetic... (i personally would love if the book go a little deeper)
Jo
Concise review of Alexander McQueen's work, plus the photos are truly superb, showcasing the genius of his designs and the excellent workmanship. But to me, it showed at the same time a spiritual dimension to his aesthetic that is disturbing. I feel sad for him.
Darklysewn
He was pure Genious. i cannot say enough about this book, and just looking through the pages of the lustful photographs of his art(clothing) makes me want to push my own art(clothing) even further.
he is and will always be an inspiration to me
Yaritza
This book had excellent photos of all the different outfits the models wore in his shows. He created outfits that too him were his own nightmares. Everything was autobiographical. What an amazing man he was. He will always be remembered.
Yue
I think he is the most wonderful designer in this world and yet he was called by the God to design clothes for angles, wish him rest in peace in his heaven.
Emily
The pictures are pretty but it is a glorified magazine and not a proper history or even a real coffee table book. But I knew that going in to reading it!
Redgie
Not the best collection of his work. Some of the photos used were poor quality.
Still pretty cool, though.
Samantha
Beautiful pictures (of course). Commentary left a lot to be desired.
Jillian
Gorgeous. I may wear used clothes, but God Save McQueen.
K.
the first decent work read!

fish-eyes
kobbadtz
SO MUCH MORE
Vin Orias
great delivery.
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Amanda Quental
Amanda Quental marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Claire Green
Claire Green marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • Chanel: The Vocabulary of Style
  • Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • 100 Years of Fashion Illustration
  • Vogue: The Covers
  • 20th Century Fashion: 100 Years of Style by Decade and Designer, in Association with Vogue.
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • The Corset: A Cultural History
  • Underwear: Fashion in Detail
  • Fifty Dresses That Changed the World
Culture to Catwalk: How World Cultures Influence Fashion Alexander McQueen Guide to Free Government Grants!