Start by marking “The Big Questions: Philosophy” as Want to Read:
The Big Questions: Philosophy

The Big Questions: Philosophy (The Big Questions)

The Big Questions series is designed to let renowned experts confront the 20 most fundamental and frequently asked questions of a major branch of science or philosophy. Each 3000-word essay simply and concisely examines a question that has eternally perplexed enquiring minds, and provides answers from history's great thinkers. This ambitious project is a unique distillatio ...more
Published July 26th 2016 by Quercus Publishing (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Questions

abdulrahman attalah
May 09, 2016 abdulrahman attalah rated it it was amazing
مقدمة جميلة للفلسفة،جدا بسيط الكتاب

كل شخص يريد أن يفهم الفلسفة من خلال مواضيعها الدسمة
عليه أن يقرأ هذا الكتاب

للأمانة الكتاب ليس لطلبة الفلسفة إنما للعامة.
Jason Guillemette
Nov 21, 2014 Jason Guillemette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
This is the first book I have read on the subject of philosophy. And I loved it!! The questions we all face. The problems we all want solved and the condition of the human mind and nature. All within philosophy’s realm.
Brief view on the subjects covered in this book.
Is there life after death? In short; No there isn’t. Same as there wasn’t life before life. Do you remember what it was like 4 years before you were born? Life simply stops and there is nothing. No consciousness, no feelings there i
Al Bità
Oct 20, 2010 Al Bità rated it liked it
For me, philosophy is one of the great pleasures for the inquiring mind. Take any subject, and there is bound to be a thinker somewhere who has expostulated upon it.

This book is one of a series put out by Quercus under the general title 'The Big Questions'. It's intent, apparently, is to make some of the major issues of various subjects (Physics, Mathematics, and the Universe, for example, are separate books in the series) more accessible to the general public. From this perspective Blackburn d
Mark Maguire
Mar 24, 2013 Mark Maguire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a challenging and yet worthwhile read.

I genuinely feel inspired to re-examine commmonly held assumptions surrounding the social order and the concept on self.

The book is divided into idependent chapters which cover areas ranging from "The Ghost in the Machine"; the Pirsoner's Dilemma, and consciousness after death. Each chapter is balanced and considered, and is written in a light-hearted but intelligent manner which aids both understanding, and inspires confidence to read further int
Belleza
May 02, 2015 Belleza rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, non-story
Allthough this book seems to be a good philosophy beggining, covering all the main philosophical questions, I find the way of explaining of the writer way too quick to really understand the subject. It just gives you a first impression on the question, then even before you have a moment to think about it, the "story" continues, leaving most of your questions unanswered. I wanted to read this book to have a general culture on philosophy and have some basics, and this book failed.

PS: I read the ed
Bendick Ong
Nov 10, 2013 Bendick Ong rated it really liked it
Shelves: humanities
Must say I bought the book cos it is compact and sturdy with a strap for keeping it so like a moleskin notebook. "This will be THE book I will bring along with me wherever I go to fill up all the gaps between appointments and commuting!" Or so I thought. But of course I finished everything up in one afternoon (not that it's easy though- Blackburn's always has depth) and now it is sitting comfortably on the shelf.

This book is for the intelligent layman who wants to know more about the essential q
Bill Lalonde
Apr 18, 2014 Bill Lalonde rated it it was amazing
An extremely good book, as long as one remembers that it is about "the big questions" rather than "the big answers." That is, it is a fine introduction to sophisticated thought on a variety of philosophical issues, with arrows pointing in suggested directions for the answers, but those wishing for fully argued end points will need to look further (such as in the resources listed in the back of the book).
Heath Lowrance
Apr 12, 2013 Heath Lowrance rated it liked it
Compared to Blackburn's other work, this one feels a bit pieced-together, but I guess that's to be expected when you consider that he's trying to cover a lot of ground in a very slim volume. Regardless, it's a pretty solid introduction to the central questions of philosophy, presented in such a way that even a relatively dim lay-person like myself can follow the thread. If its central purpose is to leave the reader with much to think about after finishing, it succeeds.
Iris AE
Feb 19, 2016 Iris AE rated it liked it
This is a very good introduction into about 15 of the major philosophical topics. Well written and easy to understand, and even for people who did philosophy earlier on it is a brush-up of what they used to know and adds some more knowledge.
A perfect book to get back into philosophy or start with it.
Val
May 10, 2015 Val rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Philosophy tries to answer the big questions about the nature of life, the universe and everything. It is about structured thought, reducing assumptions to a minimum and then building on what we can really know about our brains, thoughts, free will, etc.
The book is interesting, but it can get a bit heavy going and I did find myself muttering 'forty-two' and putting it aside a few times.
Alireza Behzadnia
Very simplified but at the same time enriched with useful material.
a very good book, i would recommend it to who ever is interested in philosophy.
Simon Blackburn is one of the best writers, he keeps the reader focus and doesnt try to confuse his readers by injecting loads of information at once into their brain.
Grant P
Jan 01, 2014 Grant P rated it it was ok
A little too intro level for my tastes. The topics are a little short handed (as would be for a book styled this way) which left me wanting to delve into some of the minutia in a more careful way than presented here. Good for an introduction for those without a more sophisticated philosophy background. Not good for the already philosophically well read.
Stephen Francis
Jul 08, 2015 Stephen Francis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to some of the most difficult to answer questions we face as a civilization. The author manages each question in incredible detail and context, despite the relative shortness of each chapter. This book does, however, require a somewhat patient reader in order to fully understand and absorb the concepts on offer.
James
Jan 26, 2014 James rated it really liked it
A very interesting overview of some of the most important questions in Philosophy. Blackburn writes cogently in a way that is accessible to both the enthusiastic novice and the more well read students of philosophy.
Rick
Aug 18, 2015 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
What do we really know? Not much, it turns out. Maybe we should come to a reconciliation of this.
VENKATRAMAN C K
Jul 19, 2015 VENKATRAMAN C K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, 2015
Excellent book. Brings together all the deliberations of great philosophers such as Hume, Kant through twenty big questions that haunt humankind.
Loh
Dec 24, 2012 Loh rated it really liked it
Crisp introduction into the various disciplines of philosophy. Elucidated some of the questions I had been posing to myself since I was a kid.
Sambo Ponhkun
Jul 07, 2014 Sambo Ponhkun rated it liked it
Shelves: in-posses
Sophisticated
Edin
Edin rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Recep Alan
Recep Alan rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Kyle Knudson
Kyle Knudson rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Actuallysatan
Actuallysatan rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Zombiouscrustacean
Zombiouscrustacean rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2014
Guglielmo Tarallo
Guglielmo Tarallo rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Omar Abdalla
Omar Abdalla rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Thomas Smith
Thomas Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Jared Tan
Jared Tan rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2010
Matteo Marini
Matteo Marini rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Big Questions: Physics
  • The Big Questions The Universe
  • Ideas of the Great Philosophers
  • Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge
  • The Great Philosophers (From Socrates to Foucault)
  • 50 Political Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Philosophy: A Text with Readings
  • Thinking of Answers: Questions in the Philosophy of Everyday Life
  • The Oxford Companion to Philosophy
  • The Times Complete History of the World
  • 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • The Big Questions: Mathematics
Simon Blackburn is Bertrand Russell Professor of Philosophy in the University of Cambridge.
More about Simon Blackburn...

The Big Questions (5 books)
  • The Big Questions The Universe