Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse #11)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  82,975 ratings  ·  5,861 reviews
With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. Sookie suspects otherwise, but her attention is divided when she realizes that her lover Eric Northman and his "child" Pam are plotting to kill th...more
Published May 28th 2011 by Gollancz, Victor Limited (first published March 3rd 2011)

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
Can't Wait Books For 2011
5th out of 1,237 books — 6,939 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareAngel by James Patterson
The "Can't Wait" Books of 2011
3rd out of 625 books — 1,839 voters

More lists with this book...

CJ - Drop Dead Cute

Oh. My. God.

I have never been so disappointed and consequently, angry, by a book as I am right now and it is actually hard for me to type. My brain is exploding right now.

gifs

This is going to be a rant. This is going to contain cusses. This is also going to call out Tru Blood. People are going to either like this or not.

First - Tru Blood has killed this series. *cue outrage from fans of the HBO show*

For the record, this is not about those that like the show. I don't but it's not about the fans...more
Tatiana
May 21, 2011 Tatiana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: forget it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2011
I am willing to bet that this book was as much of a torture for Charlaine Harris to write as it was for me to read.

There is no juice left in this series. And certainly, there is no author's love. Not only is Sookie's voice no longer recognizable (I just reread books 1-3, so I can in fact tell the difference), but this whole book is simply one huge FAIL.

The characters were altered. Where was cool Pam? Where was sarcastic Eric? Where was chemistry between Sookie and Eric? Where were the human ch...more
Megan
Dear Sookie,
You know you are one of my oldest friends, right? I love our yearly visits at your old Stackhouse family home, sitting on the porch, soaking up the sun and drinking iced tea. It’s great to live vicariously through you and hear about the most powerful and sexy supernatural beasts falling over themselves to flirt with and please you. And Eric…. Mmmm =) Anytime you want to tell me all of his dirty little secrets and every sexy thing about him that is okay with me.

But here’s the thing,...more
Kitten
3 1/2 Stars

I should start off by saying that though the Sookie Stackhouse series isn't my all-time favorite series, Eric Northman IS my all-time favorite fictional character. AND GODDAMN I LOVE ME SOME PAM!

Half of the reason I love these books is the Eric and Pam relationship; I find them endlessly entertaining. Though there weren't enough appearances of them (there never are), there were some comedic bits between the two. I enjoyed the funny jabs at Sookie on Pam's behalf (One scene in-particul...more
Kasiabadura
It seems to me that Ms Harris is being more and more influenced by the show, which in case of the novel is a bad thing. Does anybody else have a feeling that the author is setting a scene for a convenient fading out Eric, and a not- so- miraculous reintroduction of Bill? The dialogue between S. and E. is stale and lacks in energy.Whereas, Bill's character all of the sudden shows signs of sense of humour. In short, I wouldn't be surprised if in the end of the series Eric ended up dead, and Bill e...more
valee
Dec 11, 2013 valee marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I have this feeling we will be disappointed with this installment. I just feel the series needs a closure and it doesn't seem like it. I want more Eric but I don't think I'll get all the Eric I need to get to love this series again. It feels like this book is just gonna be another chapter in the series and not as whole book. I'm not sure if I made myself clear,lol.
LMM
Welll...This is a solid, "liked it" but more 3.5 stars. If it wasn't for the fact that there MIGHT be a HUGE plot inconsistency in this book (the convo between Sook, Claude & Dermot about Niall & Eric being in cahoots), I would give it 4 stars but I'm trying to figure out if something might actually be a well placed lie by CH or not but I'm not so sure yet.

(**Edited on May 14th. After doing some digging, I think the bit I thought was a plot inconsistency is intentional. See bottom of rev...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Dec 04, 2012 Carol. [All cynic, all the time] rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Harris fans only.

Formula for Sookie books:
--nostalgia for her grandmother and a way of life that's been over for about ten years now
--disappointment when nostalgia does not match up with real life
--nail polish
--a sexy dress that shows off her cleavage
--attraction to more than one man
--self-recrimination about attraction to more than one man
--instant orgasmic sex
--judging others for not being Christian/being violent/being sexually 'deviant'
--self-recrimination about being too judgemental
--failing to be a good h...more
Sarah (saz101)
***There are some minor spoilers below... allusions to character's feelings/thoughts/actions that could give some plot points away***

Sookie's working her shift in Merlotte's when the bar is firebombed... and it doesn't look like the bomber was human. To make matters worse, an old enemy is out for her blood and the tension between her vampire lover/husband Eric and his progeny Pam with their boss, Victor, is building. The peaceful life Sookie is wishing for seems a distant dream.

A new Sookie book...more
Veronica Lucero
Can't wait!!! I'm counting down the days.... I read the whole series in less then 2 weeks when I discovered them and I seriously need this book asap!

Well I FINALLY got my copy of this absolutely wonderful book! I couldn't put it down, I'm kinda sad that I finished it so quickly...now I miss the characters all over again! LOL, I am at a lost for words about what went down. I don't know whether I should cry or be happy, the new issue with Sookie and Eric is so heartbreaking (for me at least). Bill...more
Alyssa
WTH...WTF...Seriously!!!...Speechless...seriously pissed off!

No words, other than the few above, can truly describe how disappointed I am with this book and this series. When I re-discovered my love for reading several years ago, this was one of the first series' that I read and I fell in love with. It will continue to hold a special place in my heart but what I fell in love with is just no more. NEVER, in a million years, did I think I would say I'm looking forward to Season 4 of True Blood mo...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Have you ever noticed that every time an enemy of Sookie Stackhouse bites the dust, another is waiting in the wings to make her life miserable? If you think about it, our girl has got a lot of carnage in her wake: from Lorena... to the vamp who killed Hadley... on to Andre and Debbie and Appius Livius. But you cut off the head of one beast and another grows in its place. Our beast du jour for Dead Reckoning is our old pal Victor. He is making life more and more miserable for Eric, and he's an ev...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Review from ZombieHazard.

OMG!!! I’ve been waiting for this book for a year and now it’s finally out!!! It was sooooooo worth the wait!!! Such an amazing book!!! It totally made up for the sh*t that was the previous one!!!

Naaaah I’m just kidding. I so much wished I’d say that after reading Dead Reckoning. But guess what? It sucked even more than Dead in the Family. It simply has no purpose of existence.

If I could just point out all my problems with this book I’d end up wasting all day writing abo...more
Cheese
Sookie, I really, really wanted to give you four stars. Truly, I did. Though we haven't known each other long, I've grown extremely fond of you. Unfortunately, I spent much of this story feeling like this:

Fear not, I also have nice things to say, I just wish they outweighed the bad.

First, the bad:

*It should have been condensed. Now, some of the allure of Sookie, for me, is her amusing internal rambling and watching her try to go about a normal way of life. But not for half of the book!!!!! It fe...more
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.8* of five

The Publisher Says: There's a reckoning on the way ...

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in Bon Temps, Louisiana. It's a job which has its own challenges, but now the vampires and the shapeshifters are finally 'out', you'd think the supernaturals would get on with each other. But nothing is that simple in Bon Temps!

... and Sookie has a knack for being in trouble's way; not least when she witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlott...more
Catie
It’s going to be difficult to write this review, because even though I finished reading this book this morning, I am having a hard time remembering what it was even about. I didn’t think that it was absolutely horrific, but I was very far from loving it. I read along slowly and with a mild interest, and then it was over. It was very forgettable.

So…there’s a fire-bombing at Merlotte’s, and some other stuff that apparently was perpetrated by one of Sookie’s random enemies from her past that I care...more
Yui
3.5

It's very tempting to give Dead Reckoning 3stars because I feel it inferior in some ways to past Sookie Stackhouse novels but It isn't fair to grade a book just because I am holding a grudge to events that hasn't even happened in the book yet.

So for years of adoration and sheer insanity it stays with 4 stars on first glance ;)

WARNING!

The following may contain spoilers.

Let me just get this quote out of my mind for it's been bugging me ever since I started reading DR.

...I suffered with yo...more
Rubal
The Southern Vampire Mysteries are not great books. Charlaine Harris is not a great author. But I have always enjoyed reading about Sookie’s adventure, so it was inevitable that I read the latest book #11.
There something about these books that I have always liked. Sookie’s narrative is funny. I like the southern feel of the books. Though I have to mention that I don’t have much knowledge about Louisiana or the life of south and I don’t know if it’s an accurate portrayal but it’s entertaining.

(vi...more
Camille
Ok, I'm pissed. I really enjoyed the series up until this point and I really feel like this was simply a contractual obligation. There were some parts that were completely boring and hard to get through. There is so much double talk and all around the subject, that i couldn't get into it. Hell, from the first few pages I noticed that Sookie's voice was changed and it was not in a good way.

What happened?

The things about the characters that we all grew to love (even if they were evil and unjust)...more
Carrie
Well I was anxiously awaiting the release of this book, hoping it would redeem the series for me after the last one.

Well I regret to say it didn't. Yes, it was better than the last one but it still left me dissatisfied. I'm not sure if it's me who has lost interest in the series or the author (but if you ask me her heart just isn't in it anymore).

I miss the bad ass Eric from the earlier books and wish he would come back. I'm tired of all the Sookie drama (seriously how much trouble can one per...more
Lighthearted
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
It's a very sad day for me when I have to give Miss Stackhouse an average 3 star rating. I missed being in Sookie's world, but not so much that I enjoyed trailing along with her while she cleaned her home, picked up breakfast, pumped her gas, showered, shaved her legs, or washed dirty dishes. I understand Sookie is one of the more ordinary characters - to an extent- in a world that has become abundant in supernaturals, but I was desperately wishing for more action on numerous occassions.

*******...more
Ashley
I waited a year, telling myself that the worrisome feeling I was left with after Dead in the Family was a one-off sensation. I told myself "she'll get back in her groove with Dead Reckoning." I had it delivered to my Kindle so I didn't even have to fight with book-store staff on release day. I wanted so very, very badly for this book to be a return to the Sookie Stackhouse books of the early series.

I wish I could say it met my expectations and then blew me away. But I'd be lying.

It's not a BAD b...more
Charissa
It seems the longer this series gets, the less interested in the books I become. The first few were entertaining, but as the series goes on, instead of her writing getting better it seems as though it has gotten worse (or maybe I'm just getting more critical). Also, this novel in particular frustrated me as it left a fairly large plot point hanging. I realize she's probably planning on addressing that issue in her next novel, but it wasn't written as a cliffhanger, it just wasn't resolved. Cliff...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Such a difficult book for me to rate and review. I finished it about a day and a half ago and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

For all of you who are wondering if this book is better than the past two, which I thought were pretty bad, the last one especially, then please know that Dead Reckoning isn't bad, there's a lot going on, even though at the beginning it was a bit slow, but the story is interesting. It's much better than the last two, but at this point I don't think we'll ever get t...more
Marie
May 08, 2011 Marie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard fans of the series
I've been getting tired of this series for awhile now. Sometimes I just want to shake Sookie and to tell her to WAKE UP and cut all ties from the loons.
And other times I want to just toss her to a non-friendly non-sexy vampire and let them eat her and get it over with.
Still, I found this particular book better. I like Eric, and it had some Eric-y moments.
I guess I have two big pet peeves one this one. The first one is Sookie's religious holier-than-thou attitude that was bugging me. Alright, I r...more
Mary Abshire
It was a little slow and I kept waiting for something big to happen. It never did. Not all loose ends were wrapped up. What about Claude and Dermot? What will happen with her relationship with Eric? I'm sure some of those unanswered questions are for the next book.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Would've liked more action, more time with Eric. Would I read it again? No. I'd rate it 3.5 if I could.
Nurlely
Oh my! Why on the Earth did Charlaine Harris add another obtacle to Eric and Sookie's love life. And Why the heck Bill was added to make it worse. I thought I would have an ending, or at least a hint that this book needs only a sequel to end the story. But I did not. I am started to feel bored about this never ending story.

I have to change my rate due to this unsatisfactory.
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
So we have almost come to the end people, 1 more book after this one & we say goodbye to Sookie Stackhouse for good. I don’t know how Mrs. Harris’ is going to wrap this series with a neat bow, but she is prepping for something big & Dead Reckoning sets it up.

During her shift at Merlotte’s someone throws a Molotov cocktail through the window, causing damage to the bar & customers alike. Since the were population has come out, picketers have targeted Sam so the blame is automatically p...more
Goodreads Librari...: Adding audio of Dead Reckoning 1 10 Dec 23, 2013 12:10PM
Is Sookie starting to annoy anyone else? 88 444 Mar 03, 2013 06:13AM
Sookie's Stop-Over to the One? 70 238 Jul 17, 2012 07:47PM
Thoughts on Dead Reckoning 8 71 Jul 13, 2012 07:46PM
  • Hit List (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #20)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Eye of the Tempest (Jane True, #4)
  • Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • A Tale of Two Goblins (Dulcie O'Neil, #2)
  • Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian, #8)
  • Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld, #12)
  • Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid, #6)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Vampire Mine (Love at Stake, #10)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr...more
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“When I thought of Eric with someone else, I wanted to rip out all his beautiful blonde hair. By the roots. In clumps.” 56 likes
“We might be on the same page, but I wasn't happy about reading it.” 40 likes