Start by marking “Thin Air (Weather Warden, #6)” as Want to Read:
Thin Air (Weather Warden, #6)

Thin Air (Weather Warden #6)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  5,215 ratings  ·  172 reviews
After preventing Mother Earth from destroying the planet, Joanne Baldwin lost her memories thanks to Ashan the djinn-and they will remain lost forever unless Joanne can recover her identity-and destroy the demon who is impersonating her, fabulous shoes and all...
Published August 7th 2007 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Thin Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thin Air

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This has been posted on my Happy Indulgence Blog. Check it out for more reviews!

We’ve reached the halfway mark for the Weather Warden series and as far as I’m concerned, Thin Air is the best in the series so far. Since the epic world-domination build up from books 1-4, Thin Air throws all of this out the window and gets us back to basics.

Joanne Baldwin, our favourite weather warden with a wicked sense of humour, wakes up naked and shivering in a forest with no recollection of who she is. She is
Dianna
Dec 14, 2008 Dianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dresden fans
Recommended to Dianna by: a random patron
Shelves: series-reading
It was pretty good. I enjoyed the play with the Evil Twin theme, and I enjoyed that the amnesiac Joanne got to make a choice between Lewis and David. The whole idea of David's undying love for her while she seems to be playing the fence (this plot point, while it rings true to life, has annoyed me) was tackled a bit in this book, and the teaser for the next book shows that it'll finally be tackled head-on.

Here's my favorite part of this series (especially in comparing it with other contemporary
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
The amnesia trope is done in a creative and unusual manner and it works for me. The first third of the book has good pacing and is very good. The plot slows for awhile at that point and I found it a little annoying but it picked up again after a few chapters and remained strong for the rest of the book. Jo spent a little too much time being rescued this time around but it went withe amnesia and the book set up far more power for her in the future.

Some past characters show up (at least one that
AH
I usually don't read books in a series back to back. However, after that ending in Firestorm, I just had to continue reading. So I picked up Thin Air. Poor Jo! She really gets banged up a lot and in this book, her memories have been taken away. Imagine waking up naked and freezing and having no idea who you are. Lewis and David to the rescue.

This is really a cool series. I especially like it when Jo is in the Aether in Oversight and how the author describes what Jo can see. It's beautiful. I al
Alex
Rachel Caine crapped out the first three books of this series. The next two required prune juice. This one required magnesium citrate and a lot of straining.

Also: I'd like to say that I hate to be picky, but I don't. I love being picky. And in books 2, 4, and 5, her fictional town of Seacasket was in Maine. In book 6, said terribly named town was not in Maine, but was in New Jersey. No explanation. No reason. No nothing. So either a) the quasi-apocalpyse in the previous book had its major effec
Wendy Darling
Randomly picked this up at a library sale because I like the author's Morganville Vamps series...and I liked it! It was weird to read a middle book, but it actually worked out okay since it's one where the main character has amnesia. I like the characters and the story and the paranormal stuff, though, so I'm off to find the others...
David
Picking up almost exactly from where Firestorm left off, this novel starts with Joanne Baldwin waking up naked and freezing cold in a forest with no idea of who she is, or how she got there.

In other words, the good old amnesia plot.

As the novel progresses, Joanne must (re)learn how to use her powers, as well as struggling with the emergence of a new (to her) power, and with trying to reconnect with her past life. Alongside this, further insight is given into the state of affairs in ther Djinn 'n
Kt
The ending events of the last book were absolutely horrible emotionally. Ashan, the leader of the djinn who are against humanity killed Imara and completely wiped away all of Joanne's memories in an attempt to destroy her as well. This was all done in retaliation for stopping his plot to destroy humanity. In the beginning of this book Joanne wakes up naked in the snow with no knowledge of who she is. She is rescued by Lewis and David, but that does not go very smooth at first since she has no id ...more
Angela Oliver
After five excellent, fast paced books, this one felt like something of a let down. Having the main character develop amnesia is a lame plot device in many stories, and whilst I could understand its purpose here, it still irritated the heck out of me. I think because to make amnesia work in a story, the reader has to have exactly as much knowledge as the main character retains, with them slowly realising the bigger picture as the character does. Because we are rather used to Jo's life and know a ...more
Joy
This actually concludes the on going war between Wardens and Djinn that has spanned all the books so far. The author certainly has no problem killing people. They die left and right and the main character takes a beat down every book. Of course like many fantasy worlds there is magic healing so no harm done. I've always had a bit of aversion to this kind of easy save. It happens in the games too. But it would be a boring chapter if you had to wait for the focus character to be up and running aga ...more
Susana
As always Joanne Baldwin doesn't have an easy life. She has lost her memories and a demon is out to get her. And if she doesn't fight back, she risks loosing more than her past.
She risks loosing her life.
After the way that the last book ended, i really didn't know what to expect...okay, maybe part of me, was expecting that Imara would return. Which she does, in a way....but even so, this story was really heartbreaking.
I'm just grateful that the amnesia thing wasn't played in a way that could all
Wesley
I think this book was really big but then was chopped and some of it became the last 1/3 of the previous book, if this makes sense. Then a bunch of things were force fed into the previous book, leaving it offset.

I expected this one though to be an improvement and it was. A serious change in the entire series as a whole. You really need the previous book though for this, I’d highly recommending having this one ready to go as well. It took this addition though to make the previous one a little mo
Valerie
Seacasket -- an important town which was consistently in Maine the past few books -- has randomly migrated to New Jersey, with no explanation. None. In a universe where it probably could have been explained away.

Rachel... I am disappoint.

Rest of the novel was... okay. Eh. My instinctive reaction to the amnesia thing was "oh HELL no" because I was dreading that the whole Lewis-Joanne-David love triangle would be played up, but luckily, that never happened. (view spoiler)
The Listmaker
Not quite up to par with the other books in the series. It's as if Ms. Caine tried to do something different; but you know what - if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Relying on old soap opera cliches of amensia and evil twins serves no real purpose to propel the story forward. What small character and plot development there was could have been achieved without relying on such trite plot devices.

Still a good book, and a good recap of what's happened in the previous five books (think Cliff Notes vers
Hasini (Ink On Paper)
I read this book in like, THREE DAYS!!! OH MY GOD!!! *happy dance*

Thin Air has got to be the most thrilling book in this series! It was like Ill Wind all over again: Jo vs. the world, which is one of the best combos possible in this series!

Another plus point about this book was that we had hella lot of action from David and Lewis!!! I mean, the two of them teaming up is way hot, and that just made me love them even more!

And then there was ET aka Evil Twin! She was pretty nasty and I pretty muc
Robin
Joanne Baldwin wakes up in the woods, freezing and naked. She cannot remember her name, nor does she recognize the two men who find her. The one called David is a Supernatural who says he is her boyfriend. The other man, Lewis, can control the weather...and says Joanne can do the same. Soon Joanne is trying to regain her memories of the past, and finds a demon, who is wearing her face, has stolen her memories and wants to steal her life.

This is the sixth book in the Weather Warden series. It fel
Tanya
Reading Firestorm, I'd been tempted to give up this series which was disappointing because her Morganville series was my guilty pleasure. I wanted to love it, but Joanne was just so shallow and annoying, I didn't care anymore. The epic cliffhanger ending and the amnesia storyline lured me in for another try though, and this time around I was not disappointed.

This book was a fun little read, although parts of it certainly were emotion charged as Jo tried to remember who, and what she was, and how
Carolyn F.
I loved the start of this book. It's been long enough since I read the last book that I forgot what had happened with Joanne. I liked that even though some things were resolved, it wasn't a resolution tied up with a bow. Great series.
Kat
While I like this series as a whole and am tied to it in a "need to find out what's next kind of way", there are a few features that get under my skin. The repetitive "people don't trust the main character and she proves them wrong and saves the world" theme and the "important characters do something to or for main character without their knowledge or consent because it's for the best" theme have the power to set my teeth on edge at the best of times and make me put the book down on occasion. I ...more
Kerrie
These books are truly getting better and better... This one was amazing! Can't wait for more
Krys

Gods, that cover is sexy. Just saying.

Book six in the Weather Warden series turned out better than I hoped, considering I was so disappointed in book five. Thin Air starts out with a bang. Joanne has lost her memory and is wandering around in the wilderness with Lewis trying to avoid detection on the aetheric level. She doesn't know who to trust, only knows that Lewis seems a friend, if not more. David also adds to the confusion, professing feelings for her she doesn't recall. Add to this mix a
Julie H.
Thin Air picks up immediately--and I do mean immediately (as in down to the nanosecond)--where Firestorm left off. In it we find Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin at both her most vulnerable and, because of how she deals with it, at her most likeable.

Without spoiling any of the fun, Jo must negotiate the increasingly complicated internal politics of the Wardens, the old vs. "new" Djinn, the Warden vs. Ma'at conflicts, and, increasingly, the unintentional implications for the natural world of all of
Nisareen
Spoiler Alert! At the end of Firestorm, Joanne foiled Ashan’s plans to eliminate humanity when she persuaded Mother Nature to intervene. In retaliation, Ashan killed Imara and wiped away Joanne’s memories in an attempt to ‘unmake’ her. At the beginning of Thin Air, the sixth book in the Weather Warden series, Joanne wakes up cold and naked in the snow with no memory of who she is. She’s rescued by Lewis and David and tentatively puts her trust in them despite having no memory of who they are. As ...more
Liz
Thin Air starts exactly where we left off as Joanne blinks right out of sight and lands somewhere ‘else’, naked and half dead. Stripped of her memories by Ashan the djinn in an attempt to ‘unmake’ her from the world when the djinn plot to destroy humanity is stopped by Mother Earth herself.

What follows is her harrowing journey to reclaim her life from the demon impersonating her who hatched during the earth’s explosive and catastrophic reactions to the destruction of the ancient Djinn/Warden co
Jenny Delandro
She wakes in the snow
naked...
and with no idea now she got there...

then she is rescued and hunted and locked up and no-one understands what is dawning on her...there is a demon out there with her face..
who has her memories...

but who does not have the capacity to love or the capacity to make new memories which Joanne has and although she does not remember her daughter, Imara, she does remember losing a loved one and no-one will talk about her...

Alice (or Venna as she likes to be called), is a Diji
Tara Day
I liked this one much better! It's probably my third favorite in the series. In a way, the flashbacks were brought back (yay!) and there's an awesome mile-high sex scene. Pretty epic.

I love the continual tension between Lewis and David, even though most of the time they work together. I kinda wish that Lewis would have been like, "I do still love you by the way" because that would have made the entire thing just awesome. David versus Lewis. Hell yes. But Lewis was the good guy who told her that
Thin Air is book 6 in the Weather Warden series & in some ways it is quite different to the previous books. Jo has completely lost her memory so she has no idea who she can trust and doesn't know her about her powers and how to use them. She's got to learn everything again from scratch and it's a steep learning curve. A lot of the book is focused on Jo trying to regain her memory & we get glimpses of events from previous books from other character's perspectives.

Joanne's interaction with
Sarah A.
What a book!

I never quite read anything like this, the story goes as Joanne jumps from one mind to another, you see... (Spoiler) she has lost her memory and acquired new talents. So every time she feels threatened or in need, she simply gets in peoples heads and sees their memories. Now, imagine being inside Cherise’s head, or Marion’s head... Or even better (or worse!) Eamon’s!!!!

I can’t say I read anything like this, the idea that your heroine loses her memory? Yeah not so new… but her ability
Jacey
After the events in Firestorm Joanne Baldwin has been left without her memory. She doesn't even recognise her Djinn lover David or her friend Lewis and she certainly doesn't believe it when Lewis tells her he can control the weather - and so can she. And on top of all that her firnd Cherise has been taken over by something nasty. Oh yes, and there's a demon on Joanne's trail, trying to steal her life.

Jo's sister and her skanky boyfriend, Eamon, last seena few books ago, reappear causing all mann
Cathleen Ash
Jo continues in her Weather Warden adventures - but these latest are pushing her limits more than ever. When she wakes up freezing, cold, naked in the woods with absolutely no memory of who she is or why she's there - she knows she's in for a bit of trouble. Of course, trouble never looked so good as she meets David (her Djinn lover) and Lewis (her always friend, once lover, and Warden extraordinaire). She knows she has history between these two, she's just not sure what it is. She's not sure sh ...more
SOS: Serious Over...: November Buddy Read: Thin Air by Rachel Caine 56 26 Dec 04, 2012 05:13AM
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2)
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Burning Bridges (Retrievers, #4)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Arcane Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #4)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)

Weather Warden (9 books)
  • Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1)
  • Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2)
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
  • Windfall (Weather Warden, #4)
  • Firestorm (Weather Warden, #5)
  • Gale Force (Weather Warden, #7)
  • Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8)
  • Total Eclipse (Weather Warden, #9)
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2) Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)

“I'd blurted out the question only to keep him from noticing that I was working my hands free, but the Warden behind me, some young brown-haired surfer dude, yelled a warning. "She's getting loose!"
Narc.”
21 likes
“I wrestled futilely, then relaxed as a vine wrapped three times around my throat and squeezed.
Right," I choked out, and shut my eyes. "I'll wait here, then.”
21 likes