Start by marking “Learner-Centered Teaching” as Want to Read:
Learner-Centered Teaching

Learner-Centered Teaching

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In this much needed resource, Maryellen Weimer-one of the nation's most highly regarded authorities on effective college teaching-offers a comprehensive work on the topic of learner-centered teaching in the college and university classroom. As the author explains, learner-centered teaching focuses attention on what the student is learning, how the student is learning, the ...more
Published July 8th 2002 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Learner-Centered Teaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learner-Centered Teaching

Jessi
Dec 12, 2012 Jessi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: university instructors
Recommended to Jessi by: UVU Faculty Center
Shelves: teaching-related
This was an incredibly thought-provoking book for instructors in higher education. I think that most of us begin teaching in the traditional lecture style. As we mature as instructors, there is a tendency to venture out of that traditional framework in order to explore techniques that are impactful in the classroom. Weimer presents an alternative organizational framework for college courses that empowers students to control their learning experiences. She highlights five critical areas of change ...more
Toby
I really wanted to like this book, but I bought with the feeling that I wasn't going to get much out of it. I've read a number of books and papers about teaching and learning, and so from reading the index it seemed like there was little that was new to me. But I gave it shot --- maybe I would end up liking it. Even if it just re-hashed things I already thought I knew it might provide new insights. Unfortunately, my suspicious were right --- it was not a worthwhile book for me to read. Pretty qu ...more
David
This book is for college faculty, providing a format to make their teaching "learner-centered". I work as a campus minister, teaching weekly bible studies and preaching, so I read this book figuring there would be some lessons to learn to make my teaching better. As I read, I did see ways these techniques could translate into my ministry, so I am glad I read this book.

Mike Thicke
I picked up Learner-Centered Teaching because I've been thinking about ways to redesign my introductory history and philosophy of science course to be less lecture-heavy. It has certainly helped my thought process in that regard, but it has also made me question nearly everything about how I teach. That makes this a really dangerous book!

Probably most college-level instructors or professors, myself included, have heard of "learner-centered" or "problem-based" approaches to teaching. On a limited
This is a great book for those who teach. It focuses on higher ed, but we used it in a library course, and I think K-12 teachers could gain a lot from it, too.
Mohammad Keyhani
Aug 03, 2007 Mohammad Keyhani rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teachers and professors
I just really wish all my professors would read this book.
Coreypine
So far, so good. As the main teacher and director of a busy herbal medicine school, I am always looking for ways to improve my teaching, and also to make the class more interactive and less lecture. This book seems to have some of the answers.

I will give a better review when I finish. And an even more accurate review after a few months of teaching using these ideas.
Queen
My first graduate course textbook for "Effective College Teaching" at ECU with Dr. Maria Clay.

The active learning strategies are broken down along with the steps to implement them to meet goals and positively impact students. The most impressive aspect of the book is the understanding of why we do what we do.

Curtis Newbold
Interesting insight into learner-centered teaching. Great book for starting conversations about pedagogy and the challenges of implementing grades, assessment, learning, power dynamics, and so forth in the classroom.

The book is now over a decade old, but timely enough to make the conversation relevant. However, Weimer's ideas are not as groundbreaking as she claims them to be and her passive-aggressive attack on sharing content with students is sometimes heavy-handed.

Overall, though, I found mys
Elizabeth Schlatter
Great book, lots of food for thought. Read this as part of a book group at work. I sort of wish the format was different though, as in maybe 1/2 theory and research and 1/2 like a workbook with examples of applying this sort of pedagogy in class. As it is now, the examples tend to be buried in the chapters. So I have to go back and find the examples that I marked. Also, while I appreciate how thoroughly the author researched the benefits of Learner-Centered Teaching, her arguments became a bit r ...more
Jeannie
Radical feminism has never appealed to me. Obviously, Weimer is attempting to use education as a vehicle for social change and not for educating. There is little to no evidence that non-guided learning works. She even admits that her classroom gets chaotic. I would argue that her technique does not create a good learning environment for students. While teachers should work to reach all learners and structure their courses to achieve that end, her technique will only reach one type of student. Th ...more
Cameron
This is a really good book for those who teach in higher education. There has always been the traditional approach to teaching, imparting knowledge to students who have to turn around and regurgitate it back. This author suggests the sharing of responsibility with learners which I found refreshing and I will try to implement this strategy in my classes next semester. The only thing lacking is more concrete examples of how to do this.
Selmoore Codfish
I recommend this for all teachers. The book provides insight into how students learn and how instructors can improve it by focusing on having students grow in responsibility in their own learning. The book is written with college education in mind, but should be informative to teachers at other levels too.
Celtic Goddess
This book was assigned for my Teaching of Psychology PhD level course. As educators, we need to find better ways to encourage critical thinking and creative processes in our students. I found the concepts presented by Ms. Weimer to be an interesting, thought provoking approach to address the changes needed in our educational system.
John
Apr 19, 2012 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tyler
A good book with several important ideas. We read it as part of U of L's part-time faculty learning community, and worked through many of the ideas in our courses this semester. An important book to read for anyone who has ever taught or will ever teach at a college.
Elizabeth
This book was required reading for a college class I took this past semester. I found it extremely though-provoking and interesting. The ideas offered in this book I believe are practical but also radical in much of the educational world.
Jared Lee
Jared Lee is currently reading it
May 17, 2015
Izzat Rahatova
Izzat Rahatova marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
ARVELYN M.
ARVELYN M. marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching
  • Tools for Teaching (Jossey-Bass Higher and Adult Education Series)
  • Teaching What You Don't Know
  • Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom
  • Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses
  • The Joy of Teaching: A Practical Guide for New College Instructors
  • What the Best College Teachers Do
  • McKeachie's Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research, and Theory for College and University Teachers
  • Literature as Exploration
  • Teaching Critical Thinking: Practical Wisdom
  • Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers
  • Literature and the Writing Process
  • Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher
  • Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice
  • Our Underachieving Colleges: A Candid Look at How Much Students Learn and Why They Should Be Learning More
  • The Norton Introduction to Poetry
  • Texts and Contexts: Writing About Literature with Critical Theory
  • The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking: Concepts and Tools
Editor-in-chief of Teaching Professor since 1987. Penn State Professor Emeritus of Teaching and Learning.
Received Penn State’s Milton S. Eisenhower award for distinguished teaching in 2005.

Past Director of the Instructional Development Program at Pennsylvania State University for ten years. Past Associate Director at the National Center on Postsecondary Teaching, Learning, and Assessment; a U. S
More about Maryellen Weimer...
Enhancing Scholarly Work on Teaching and Learning: Professional Literature That Makes a Difference Inspired College Teaching: A Career-Long Resource for Professional Growth Teaching Strategies for the College Classroom: A Collection of Faculty Articles Improving Your Classroom Teaching Improving College Teaching: Strategies for Developing Instructional Effectiveness