Start by marking “Green Hornet, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Green Hornet, Vol. 1

Green Hornet, Vol. 1 (The Green Hornet #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The Green Hornet is back and Dynamite is the new home for the avenging hero and his faithful sidekick, Kato and the Black Beauty And things kick off with a BANG as Dynamite debuts Kevin Smith's unproduced Green Hornet film, featuring the one and only origin of the Green Hornet and Kato. Collecting issues #1-5, along with a complete cover gallery.
Published (first published September 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Green Hornet, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Hornet, Vol. 1

Patrick
Honestly? I could give a fuck about the Green Hornet.

I picked this up because it was on sale for five bucks at the local comic shop and because I saw that Kevin Smith had written it.

Simply said, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was funny and clever. It had good, snappy dialogue. (As you'd expect from Kevin Smith.)

Best of all, it didn't require me to know 30 years of backstory about the main character to enjoy it.

So. Five stars.
Mike
After the travesty that is the brutally-reviewed Batman book this year, I expected very little from this. The intro by Smith set me up for a weak story, and then I leaped into it - and couldn't put it down until it was done (and I want the next volume NOW). The way this was paced, written and laid out, it feels like the storyboards for a blockbuster action-comedy movie. Why did Seth Rogen's sad-looking tale get made instead, exactly?

Great writing - especially given the collaboration (apparently
Eden
Jan 19, 2013 Eden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I had seen the movie, and thought these are man just as average as Joe. Well I wanted, no needed to know more about them and why they become the super heroes we all have grown to love. The store was more complex than the movie made it out to be and the context of the interaction was funnier.
The more I learn about Kevin Smith the more I like him. He is a bank of knowledge on anything to do with comic books. I hope to one day have half the understanding that he does. The more I get into comics th
Gavin
Aug 29, 2014 Gavin marked it as to-read
***DISCLAIMER!!!***

So again, I got issue #1 of this on Humble Bundle as a freebie. Art was great, potential was decent, but it never got a chance to get started obviously. Reading this, I can't figure out if Seth Rogen wasted Kevin Smith's version, or if they were just very similar from what I saw...

We'll see if I get around to the rest of this.
Cale
Well, it doesn't sound like Kevin Smith, for the most part. It's a decent story (and considering it's a script that was discarded before the Seth Rogen movie was made, it seems to have a lot in common with how that one played out), with some gorgeous artwork and very kinetic (although occasionally confusing) action sequences. Green Hornet is long retired, and his son is not the type that seems likely to take up the mantle; at least not until other events come into play. The story is a fairly tro ...more
Rob
Based on the screen play that Smith wrote that never got made into a movie ... and it's understandable why. While not great, it is fun and probably still better than the movie that somehow did get made.
Daniel Clark
I picked this up alley for the reason that I am a Kevin Smith fan. I enjoy his work and few people can make me laugh the way he does. Even in this serious story there were many laugh out loud moments.

The introduction ht Kevin Smith provides interesting background to how the book came about. I will not spoil it, but after reading the book you can most defiantly see the effects of what transpired to make this book happen.

Overall this is a nice version of the character fir a younger demographic.
Eric Mesa
This review applies to both volumes 1 and 2. It is a reprint from http://www.comicpow.com/2015/01/14/ke... Follow that link to see the article along with related images from the comics.
----------

As I mentioned in my John Carter first look, I’m somewhat new to Dynamite’s properties; more accurately, their licensed properties. When I attended the Pulp Panel at Baltimore Comic-Con 2014, I was interested in the Green Hornet for the first time. My only previous exposure was the trailer for the Seth R
Marlene
Story was okay. Great art.
Sam Quixote
The Green Hornet - a masked vigilante with a martial arts chauffeur sidekick called Kato and a souped up limo called Black Beauty, out to take down gangsters while appearing to the public to be a gangster himself wanting control of Century City's crime. After taking down the last of the crime families, Green Hornet or to use his real name, Britt Reid, hangs up his mask and turns to a normal life, focusing on work and family.

Cut to the present day when Reid's family is changed - his wife has pas
Laurel
(This review includes both Vol. 1 and 2) Best way to describe this title? I got a kick out of it! Originally conceived as a movie, the story is an enjoyable action fest with enough emotion to flesh it out but not overwhelm. It's designed to be modern pulp fun with plenty of goofy scenes and one liners. It makes no effort to be more than that - a refreshing change from comics that try too hard to be 'deep'.

I thought creating a new Green Hornet for the modern age was a great way to update the char
William Redd
This. This is why I wanted to see Kevin Smith's version of the Green Hornet instead of the Michel Gondry/Seth Rogen horror-show. This is so much what I expected out of the Green Hornet, I actually started writing a version very similar to it before I found out Smith was. Now I wish I'd finished it. I'd be interested to see exactly how similar the two scripts ended up.

I've always been a fan of the Green Hornet, especially the fact that he is a descendant of the Lone Ranger (that's canon, by the w
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I hadn't seen the movie and wasn't well versed in the Green Hornet series. So I took this read as a stand alone introduction to The Green Hornet.

The good:
-- Does a good job of introducing the mythology/universe for those new to Green Hornet
-- Introduces a new generation of Green Hornet - modern and now
-- Nicely illustrated in full color throughout

The Bad:
-- Lacks focus/feels overblown. Nearly half the book is about the f
James
There's no doubt that Smith can write comics. He can hold his own with any other Batman writer around today, and with Onomatopoeia, he and Phil Hester have created one of DC's most striking modern villains. But there is something about his Green Hornet that falls flat. Part of that feels like it may be due to the character. There's maybe a reason why the character fell into disuse, and various attempts to kickstart it have failed. The story itself also feels a bit by-the-numbers. Retired hero, l ...more
John
Remember the awful Green Hornet movie from a few years ago? This is what it could have been. Kevin Smith's script bears a few superficial similarities in the beginning, but then it becomes much more creative and entertaining. The art is mostly good -- it gets a bit wonky in a few places -- and Smith's turns in a pretty solid script, although his narration can be a bit heavy-handed. I look forward to reading volume two.
Don
I didn't know what to expect with Kevin Smith's Green Hornet. (Except that I hate the title.) I've enjoyed Smith's movies for the most part, but he isn't an action writer so I was kind of worried this book would be bad. Imagine my surprise when this book wasn't just good, it was outstanding. Smith (and Phil Hester) handle Britt Reid Sr. and Jr. flawlessly. And their Katos is perfect. You've got interesting characters, great action and a superb new villain in the Black Hornet. And, although I hat ...more
Cairnraiser
Kevin Smith's take on the Green Hornet. Based on a never produced script for a movie.

Shares some themes with the Green Hornet movie from 2011.
Daniel Butcher
Interesting fresh take on a classic hero.

Super interesting reading the history of the script.
Kirsty Cabot
Amazing artwork, and an interesting story! Definitely worth a read if you're into comics!
Maegan
Interesting take on the Green Hornet. Can't wait to read more.
Jacob
I bought this book used and it was a lot better than I expected. I'm not the biggest Kevin Smith fan, but I am a fan of Phil Hester, who adapted Smith's unproduced Green Hornet screenplay into a comic book. The art really is top notch and consistent, full of energy like a non-cartoony manga. Although this is only half a years worth of story (issues 1-6 of 12) it's 100 X better than the dreadful Green Hornet movie Seth Rogen made and, better yet, there's very little of that long-winded, NJ-esque ...more
Brian
read this one simply because it was from Kevin Smith.
Amber
This is just the first volume of Kevin Smith's take on the Green Hornet, but I was not impressed. Smith has a gift for writing comics - his work on Batman is wonderful and original and his Green Arrow books got great reviews.

Green Hornet, by comparison, falls flat. He had originally planned to write a film, but that somehow got sidelined and eventually replaced with Seth Rogan's GH film. Possibly it was because Smith's version is actually quite dull, and the only really interesting thing he did
Adam
Jul 23, 2010 Adam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Fun stuff. I wasn't blown away by the first issue of Kevin Smith and Jonathan Lau's modern take on the Green Hornet, but by the second issue I was hooked. Britt Reid, Jr. takes up his father's secret identity, aided by a female Kato. Smith keeps it pleasantly old school, and I'm looking forward to seeing where Smith and Lau go with this series after the first five issues, which are primarily about establishing the characters and situation, and not much else.
M
As a fan of the original premise, it was a pleasant surprise to see Kevin Smith open his retelling with a classic look at Britt Reid and Kato doing what made them legends. The transition to a new Hornet and Kato is a little tried and trite, but the introduction of a mysterious Black Hornet helps make it easier to swallow. A great introduction/reintroduction of the pulp crimefighting team.
Jarlos
Aug 07, 2011 Jarlos added it
Kevin Smith smartly doesn't remake the Green Hornet but continues the saga with a passing the torch story. the revelation and training passages have been done to death, but Smith injects them with wit, and adds a lot of self-aware humor to the entire proceedings while still treating the story seriously. adapted from his unproduced script, this would've made for a hell of a movie.
Pam
The protagonist has a lot of growing up to do, but these seem like they will be fun.
Mark
An intriguing premise for a reboot of the Green Hornet degenerates into little more than an excuse for Jay & Silent Bob quality dialogue & incoherent fight sequences.

Kevin Smith shows flashes of brilliance with his writing - but those simply show how the mediocre quality of the rest of the book.
Art
Smith really truly grasps the essence of the Green Hornet. The seriousness of the character is there a long withe the banter with Kato. Smith pays great homage to the lineage of the character. Also he paves the way for a new generation of Hornet fans. The art work is top notch. Excellent read!
  • Red Sonja, Vol. 1: Queen of Plagues
  • Mystique, Vol. 1: Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • Project Superpowers
  • Marvel Zombies 5
  • Harbinger, Vol 1: Omega Rising
  • Doctor Who: Fugitive (Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Tenth Doctor - Tony Lee Series, #1)
  • Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)
  • Countdown to Darkness
  • X-O Manowar, Vol 3: Planet Death
  • Batman: Private Casebook
  • Mon-El, Vol. 1
  • The Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1: The Lords of Luck
Kevin Patrick Smith is an American screenwriter, director, as well as a comic book writer, author, and actor. He is also the co-founder, with Scott Mosier, of View Askew Productions and owner of Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash comic and novelty store in Red Bank, New Jersey. He also hosts a weekly podcast with Scott Mosier known as SModcast. He is also known for participating in long, humorous Q ...more
More about Kevin Smith...

The Green Hornet (3 books)
  • Green Hornet, Vol. 2: Wearing o' the Green
  • Green Hornet, Vol. 3: Idols
Tough Shit: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good Green Arrow, Vol. 1: Quiver Daredevil, Vol. 1: Guardian Devil My Boring-Ass Life: The Uncomfortably Candid Diary of Kevin Smith Batman: Cacophony