Start by marking “Passing Strange” as Want to Read:
Passing Strange

Passing Strange (Generation Dead #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,934 ratings  ·  145 reviews
Karen DeSonne always passed as a normal teenager - and now that she's dead, she's still passing - this time, as alive. When her dead friends are accused of a high profile murder and forced into hiding, she has to prove their innocence.
Published 2010 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Passing Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passing Strange

Fangs for the Fantasy
It took me quite some time to get around to reading the third installment of the Generation Dead series and this largely because, Generation Dead and Kiss of Life were easily amongst the most failtastic books I have ever come across. Were it not for our commitment to finishing series once we start them, there is no way that I would have picked up this book.

Tommy is off in Washington trying to get legal rights for zombies who are living with the fall out for being framed for the death of Gutteri
Darkfallen
So when I first started this book I was under the impression that it was the last book in the series. After reading it I was left searching to find out if there was another one. Need less to say I was able to find out that there might, and should be, a fouth and even a fifth book. That being said I give this book 4 stars. However if this book turns out to be the last and final book then it is more like a 3.

I only say this because for every question this book answers it leaves you asking 2 new on
Marian
Paula  Phillips
Imagine turning up to school and all your friends who had died are now Zombies except you are not allowed to call them Zombies , they are the Living Impaired.
For those who haven't read Generation Dead and Kiss of Life (Book One and Two) then you may find Passing Strange more than a tad odd."Just A Warning". This is one of those series , where in order to follow the story you have to read the books in order.
Whereas the first two stories follow the main characters of Phoebe , Tommy and her friend
Jessica Saylor
REVIEW:
Passing Strange was a lot different than the other two books in the series. Mainly because the main character switches from Phoebe to a zombie that could pass as human. I am still not sure whether or not I think this hindered or helped the series.

For one, I loved Phoebe. Her activism and willingness to help everyone was one of the main reasons I enjoyed this series, and now that it has switched to the zombie (I am not saying the name for those of you who ignored the spoiler warning) you
Lettie
Nota: 10/10

¡Único como su autor!

Esta saga me rompe el corazón, me hace sentir mucho, me toca mi fibra sensible indudablemente. Extrañas Apariencias ha sido ¡brutal!

Esta tercera parte no me ha decepcionado nada, como ya me esperaba. Sigue siendo magnifica, impresionante, perfecta, impactante, emocionante, especial. Y Daniel, una vez más me ha hipnotizado. Me maravilla. Su escritura es tan fresca, y la historia esta tan bien escrita… vamos que se ha vuelto a superar. Es un escritor excelente.

Bueno
Johanna
Passing Strange
(Generation Dead Book #3)
by Daniel Waters

Genre: Young Adult | Urban Fantasy | Paranormal Romance

Karen DeSonne is used to pretending to be something she’s not. All her life, she’s passed as a normal all-American teenager; with her friends, with her family, and at school. Passing cost her the love of her life. And now that Karen’s dead, she’s still passing – this time, as alive. Meanwhile, Karen’s dead friends have been fingered in a high-profile murder, causing a new round of anti-
P.M.
This third book in the Generation Dead series centers on Karen DeSonne, one of the biotically different (zombies) who is passing as a beating heart (living). After she is shot by a policeman and mysteriously heals unlike the other zombies who return with the damage that caused their deaths, Karen decides to date murderer Pete Martinsburg to try to expose the truth about the anti-zombie hate groups. As the story progresses, we learn more about Karen's death as a suicide. She drowned herself becau ...more
Ballroomdancer
Christine Maloney
If you liked Twilight and are looking for a realistic fiction book that vaguely contains the paranormal then this book is for you.If you're looking for a good horror/zombie book read something else, possibly The Enemy by Charlie Higson.

I picked up this book for free at a book review. I Haven't read the first two books and don't intend to. I can't read past page 16 and I've been trying for the past two months. The main character is a zombie with cognitive thinking skills, however she's proven to
Larissa
i cant wait for the third one to come out!!!!!! it needs to come out soon!!!!!!!!!!!
Steph
So it's taken me a bit of time to finish this book because of work commitments, but I enjoyed it a fair bit. After reading the two other books by Dan Waters and being hooked every time at the end of each one, it was only natural that I had to read the third book. I did however find it a bit so in some parts but it still had the same feeling of the hook throughout. I really liked the fact that the story was from Karen's point of view and how all the characters relationships continue to develop es ...more
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
Passing Strange, the third installment in the Generation Dead series, was not quite what I had expected. The majority of the novel was from Karen’s point of view, which carries a drastically different tone from the first two. The lack of appearances by the characters that were heavily featured in the last two novels was difficult to get used to at first.

For a zombie, Karen is quite the lively character. She’s feisty and strong, but she hides her incredibly vulnerable and insecure side from every
Krys

Last year I discovered Daniel Waters’ Generation Dead series. I, all but, devoured the first two books in quick succession. I was very entranced by the characters, the story, and the fight for zombie rights presented within.

The third book in Waters’ zombie young adult books, entitled Passing Strange, released this week. I got my copy from the bookstore and devoured it overnight. And, once again, the read proved fabulous.

The third book follows the most “human” of the differently biotic kids – Kar
Sharli
Aug 17, 2010 Sharli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Passing Strange tells the story of Karen DeSonne. She was a normal teenager until one day, she kills herself. But her plan didn't go quiet as planned. She dies... but then comes back as a zombie.
And now more than ever, Karen is in serious trouble. After being accused of murder, her "living impaired" friends make a protest that quickly turns into a shootout. Karen manages to escape but all her other friends are forced into hiding. Then she makes the dangerous decision of passing... as a living pe
Katie
Passing Strange, the third novel in the Generation Dead series, manages to continue the story of “differently biotic” teenagers (zombies) who try to live and survive in a world full of people who want them gone, from three completely new perspectives. While overwhelming and kind of falling flat, I think this book was very beneficial to the series. How can you write a series about racism against zombies from just the eyes of a human?

I loved Karen’s story. Her sneaking around and plotting to expos
Nina
When Leanee Briggs asked me to review Passing Strange I wondered if I should do this. I hadn’t read the first two books in the Generation Dead series and I wondered if I would get lost without the knowledge of them. I read a couple reviews that said that they read it without reading the first two books and that’s why I took the chance. I’m glad I did, because I found out that I loved Passing Strange.
Generation Dead and Kiss of Life are momentarily on my wish list, but I will be ordering them ver
Alex
This was actually my favorite of the series, which is very rare when it's the last book in a trilogy. I was so excited that we finally got a glimpse inside Karen's head, because she was my favorite character. I was pretty sick of Phoebe's waffling and couldn't wait to get out of HER head!

I totally called Karen's secret in book 1, by the way.

This book almost felt like it belonged to a different series but it worked for me. I still have SO many unanswered questions, though, and as far as I know th
Librarysteph
Passing Strange by Daniel Waters is a Generation Dead novel. While I think the book is most effective read within the series it can stand alone. I'm going to outline some major issues it deals with and then talk about the plot.

"I pretended I wasn't depressed. I pretended I wasn't in love--look where that got me. I pretended lots of other thing too, and now I'm pretending I'm alive."

Issues It Deals With

Depression:

"sometime almost feeling alive is worse than not feeling alive at all. When I was d
Gabbicalabrese
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. The first two installments in the series was Okay, but this book really disappointed me.

Karen has always been one of my favorite characters. She's cute and fun and I always suspected that she had a thing for girls. When I discovered that this book would mostly be from her point of view, I was all like "Okay, I'm on board! Let's mix it up a little!" But as I began to read, I literally felt my eyelids closing. It took me nearly two hundred pages t
Rachael Quinn
If I had to pick which book out of this series was my favorite, this would be it. Hands down. Passing Strange is told mostly from Karen's point of view and mostly in first person. Mixed in are chapters from Pete's and Tak's point of view. They really added to the story but Karen is my favorite character from the series.

Karen has stayed above the lake where her dead friends are hiding. New laws have made it dangerous for her but she is "passing," pretending to be alive. She works at the mall and
Sydney
Sophie
4.5 stars.

I’m not a huge zombie fan, but Daniel Waters’ Generation Dead series hits the nail on the head every time and Passing Strange was no exception.

Passing Strange is written in the perspective of Karen DeSonne. A not-so-central character in the series and a zombie, or differently biotic if we’re being completely PC. Unlike Adam, Karen’s narration is smooth and flowing and very alive. In fact, if I didn’t know she was dead, I wouldn’t have been able to tell, especially as she was passing as
Sarah M
Nov 09, 2012 Sarah M rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: My MoM
Shelves: cool-covers
* some spoilers*
I loved this series! I had never thought of reading it until I saw he 2nd and 3rd books (Kiss of life and Passing Strange) on sale. I wish I had picked them all up sooner!

Passing Strange was my favorite in the series as the book revolved around Karen. She is my favorite character and I loved how she could "pass". Karen decides to go undercover as Pete's GF to try to get evidence it was him and his friends who apparently murdered a family.

I also liked learning more about Pete as
Michelle
Wrighty
When I started this series I thought it was going to be all about the typical teen drama in high school with some paranormal stuff tossed in. Boy was I wrong. This was the third book of the set and they all share the themes of prejudice and intolerance. The fact that the victims here are zombies is actually not the main idea and they aren't described in the typical zombie fashion. They aren't the ghouls of the horror movies and Michael Jackson videos. They do suffer various physical ailments and ...more
Kristy
Ugh, I finally finished this book. I had a really hard time getting interested in this book. I really didn't care to read from Karen's point of view. It was like it was from a different series or something. Phoebe, Adam and Tommy were barely in it. Tommy technically wasn't "present" at all. There were just updates about him every now and then, but nothing in depth. I would say I was at least a good 150 pages in the story until I started getting interested. When I finally did get interested I sta ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Let me start out by saying you'll want to read the first two books in this series - GENERATION DEAD and KISS OF LIFE - before picking up PASSING STRANGE. If you don't, you'll be lost on the ins and outs of the plots and characters.

The author, Daniel Waters, takes a different approach to the series with PASSING STRANGE. The first two books focus on Phoebe and her struggles as she braves high school in a world where some teens are coming back from th
Lindy
I started reading this series out of pure curiosity. The first book, Generation Dead appeared to run according to the regular YA Paranormal Romance plot, but a quick glance revealed that there was so much more lurking within the pages.

The Generation Dead series raises questions about identity, religion, spirituality, ethics, civil rights, government, etc. Through a varied cast of characters, the author delves into questions and issues that far surpass other books of this genre.

In fact, I quest
Emma (Miss Print)
Karen DeSonne is good at fooling people. She's passed as the normal girl, the responsible daughter, and even the happy girl. The was before she killed herself.

That was before she came back.

Now, Karen is making the most of her second chance at life--or whatever it is when the dead start walking around.

Things go horribly wrong when her dead friends' planned social protest turns into a shootout after the zombies are accused of murder. Karen makes it away, but many other zombies in Oakvale are force
POV 4 24 Apr 22, 2012 05:08AM
  • Undead Much (Megan Berry, #2)
  • I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It
  • He's After Me
  • You Don't Even Know
  • In My Father's Den
  • Zombie Blondes
  • Eat Slay Love (Living With the Dead, #3)
  • Destroying Avalon
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • Kill You Last (Thrillogy, #3)
  • Vicious Little Darlings
  • The Darkening (The Divided Realms, #2)
  • Reign Check (Demon Princess #2)
  • Zombie Britannica
Generation Dead (Generation Dead, #1) Kiss of Life (Generation Dead, #2) Break My Heart 1,000 Times Generation Dead: Stitches Dead Kiss

“I don't want to die, I thought. Not again.” 11 likes