Start by marking “The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization” as Want to Read:
The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization

The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  724 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
YOU THINK YOU KNOW THE STORY

Five friends go to a remote
cabin in the woods.
Bad things happen.
If you think you know the story,
think again.

Official Movie Novelization.
Mass Market Paperback, 297 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by Titan Books (first published February 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cabin in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cabin in the Woods

Star Trek II by Vonda N. McIntyreStar Wars, Episode IV by George LucasStar Wars, Episode V by Donald F. GlutStar Wars - Episode VI by James KahnThe Mummy by Max Allan Collins
Novelizations
23rd out of 149 books — 26 voters
Star Wars, Episode V by Donald F. GlutStar Wars, Episode IV by George LucasAll Good Things... by Michael Jan FriedmanBatman Forever by Peter DavidStar Wars by James Kahn
Best Novelizations
45th out of 134 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

☣Lynn☣
Warning : This isn't really a review, just a whole bunch of movie gifs and such.

My love for this movie might just have something to do with me rating this book so high. I mean come on, the movie is so fucking good. How can you not like a movie that has:

scary ass monsters

killer unicorns

redneck zombies!

some sexy dancing

1 fucking hot fool

Fuck that man is beautiful ^_____^

Don't mind me drooling....

And don't forget evil gods!!

Seriously, it feels like this movie was made for ME. It has basically ever
✟ℜoxanne✟(Death by ßook Avalanche)
I watched the film quite a while ago and must say that I don't remember a great deal about it, just that it was weird, wacky, out there and pretty difficult to follow. I had no idea there was a book, so when I found it at the library I followed my faith that the book is always better than the film and decided to borrow it. Now, I really enjoyed this! Straight after I finished the book the film was on TV (weird...I had no idea) so I compared. Others may find it weird as the film and book are pret ...more
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
After some initial trepidation I quite enjoyed this book. Trepidation because I found the characters annoying haha. I liked how it kept you guessing...was it a slasher movie type book? Backwoods horror? Zombie horror? Well, I suppose all of the above to some degree but it was a whole lot more, some interesting revelations and twists! The payoff at the end was great. I did watch the first 40 minutes or so of the movie in tandem with reading but now I look forward to watching the rest :)
Jaimie
May 13, 2012 Jaimie rated it it was amazing
The best horror novel I've read in forever!

I've been looking forward to this movie for way over a year now and when I heard there was a novelization, I knew I just had to read it. And I was not disappointed. At first when I heard about The Cabin in the Woods I thought, yeah, okay. Teens going into the woods and getting hacked up by some killer. I'm sure that's what a lot of people thought. But fuck, everyone was far from the truth!

This is one of the most fucked up and crazy books I've read! I th
Cora
Jan 28, 2013 Cora rated it it was ok
Darren Hayes
Cabin In the Woods

I recently took the time to read the movie novelization of the same tilted film which was written by best selling author Tim Lebbon. Of course as a movie this was advertised as something new and something fresh. The book also takes this approach with little detail of what the book is about on the rear cover. Which is always refreshing to see something want to do something different especially when this item has something to do with the one and only Joss Whedon.

This novel sta
Scott
Dec 04, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, movie-tie-in
It's an all-too-familiar story: five friends - the jock, the slut, the nice girl, the brain, and the clown - go for vacation to a cabin in the Middle of Nowhere, and then...well, you know. Only in this case, you don't. This one's different. Really. No, I can't tell you why. Only that there's much more beneath the surface.

I don't normally read movie novelizations but this one's by Tim Lebbon, one of the current greats, and though I've been very excited to see the film I don't know when I'll get t
B.G.M. Hall
Nov 14, 2012 B.G.M. Hall rated it liked it
A tough book to review: on the one hand, I enjoyed reading it; on the other, I can't think of anyone I'd recommend it to.
Writers of novelizations have a tough job: they need to be faithful to the film, not skip too much or add too much that isn't needed, while accepting that there's a limited market for horrow novelizations [I still own a copy of the combined noveliztion of "A Nightmare On Elm Street Parts 4 & 5" - I suspect few others do].
The movie of Cabin in the Woods seemed to divide aud
Robert
Sep 20, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
4 stars out of 5
I loved this movie, it is in fact one of my all time favorites. So instead of delving into the sheer genius of the movie, I will stick to the book. I knew the second I saw it at B&N that I had to read it. The novelization is true to the movie as you'd expect, reflecting its success. I was hoping for a closer look at the monsters, but instead was surprised by getting to know each character intimately. The book is brutal. I found myself unnerved by the violence, not because it
Cindy
Oct 06, 2012 Cindy rated it did not like it
While this is a faithful adaptation of the film and provided us with some additional insight into some of the characters, overall it was disappointing. The pacing is much too slow with the result that much of the humor & horror of the screen doesn't translate to the page. It's also (at least the nook edition) riddled with typos and poorly attributed dialogue that threw me right out of the story. The final straw for me was when "Judah" suddenly became "Jonah." There's no excuse for that lack ...more
Ava
Dec 26, 2014 Ava rated it it was amazing
I found the movie much better as this book...but nevertheless a shocker. Love to feel the thrill of the horror trip.

Victoria
Jul 25, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it
This isn't your typical horror story, and it's basically impossible to offer any sort of summary without giving anything away. If you're a fan of slasher flicks / books because you like blood and gore, this isn't for you. There's a depth to the story, as well as a profound insight into human nature, that makes this something different. Fans of screenwriter / director Joss Whedon will recognize the wit and complexity that he puts into all of his works as Tim Lebbon translates from screen to page. ...more
Apr 03, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Spoilers!

1/4 - First book of April! Yay! I remember seeing the trailer for this movie and thinking "A Joss Whedon horror movie? I HAVE to see this?" Of course I never got around to it while it was at the cinemas and it has since slipped my mind (I'm going to see if I can find it playing on Foxtel tomorrow morning). 55 pages in and I can definitely hear Whedon's voice in the dialogue; the Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse episodes he wrote were always the funniest with the snappiest one-liners.
Susan
Feb 28, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
SO FUN to read.
Lets you stay in the world of the movie for longer.

The book loses some of the wit, intelligence and depth from the movie but it is still an amusing and quick read worth doing.

Most of the humor is lost but there were a couple of laugh-out-loud moments. The characters seem a little too different vs. how they were portrayed in the movie and some of the points about them, their roles/symbolism, and their true selves are missing.

The gaps between scenes in the movie (like riding in t
Maryellen
May 13, 2012 Maryellen rated it it was amazing
I loved the movie and was looking for the chance to "see" the story again and also maybe get a little further into the characters. There are no big surprises, but there's a bit more character development and a little bit more philosophy. One disappointment is that the cellar scene wasn't explored in any greater detail - I wished I would've learned more about what items linked to what horrors!
Shawn Edrei
Nov 16, 2013 Shawn Edrei rated it it was ok
As it turns out, "The Cabin in the Woods" is not the sort of movie that can benefit from translation into a different medium. The novelization doesn't add anything substantial to the story or characters beyond what the film already established, and much of the visceral horror is lost in Lebbon's prose.

I'd much rather see the movie again.
Jaime
May 09, 2012 Jaime rated it it was ok
pretty good until the horrible ending. never really explains what the purpose was in detail and then the end is just weird.
Emily
May 19, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Five college age friends embark on a sexy booze filled weekend trip to a remote cabin expecting to have the time of their lives. They don’t know it yet, but there’s a team of mysterious officials ready to make sure that weekend holds the last moments of their lives. The night quickly turns from funny to horrific as strange creatures begin attacking the cabin, and the friends find themselves turned into unwilling participants in the game they have no idea they are the pawns of.

I’ve never been one
Elise
Jun 09, 2012 Elise rated it liked it
Hm. Kind of confused about how to rate and review this. Obviously, it is a movie, but I really didn't want to see the movie because I don't do scary movies. I don't even do the commercials for scary stories.

This wasn't even bad. Gorey, very much so. But scary? There was only one point where I needed to be in broad daylight to read, and that was near the beginning.

But, it died blow my expectations out of the water. We all know how the scary stories go, and the writers use that to their advantage.
Leslie Lee Sanders
Jun 06, 2012 Leslie Lee Sanders rated it really liked it
I finished reading this horror tale with a twist in two days, completely absorbed in it. Immediately upon finishing it I had hubby take me to see the movie, which I enjoyed as well. The book is very much like the movie, some dialogue changes here and there. You know, minor differences. But overall, enjoyable.

This is how I describe the plot: A teenagers weekend getaway to a creepy cabin in the woods with some amazing twists and surprises not like other stories in this genre. Very unique!

The only
Jenn
May 05, 2012 Jenn rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie on Sunday and dove right into the movie novelization!

Now I know what you are thinking. Not another story about a group of teens that go to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and one by one get killed. Well, actually this is exactly that...but with a twist! Take the very beginning of Cabin in the Woods for instance. Cabin in the Woods opens with two elderly guys talking about other countries failing to get the job done. Then we cut to five college students packing up and heading to
Joe Hempel
Jun 26, 2013 Joe Hempel rated it really liked it
This review courtesy of topoftheheapreviews.com

Movie Tie-ins have to do two things. One, they have to keep the reader interested with more than just the plot, and Two, they have to add something that the movie or game counterparts are unable to portray, so does New York Times bestselling author, Tim Lebbon do a good job of this?

I started to read this book BEFORE watching the movie. I had always been interested in it, but just never had the time to sit and watch. So this review is going to be bas
Kathryn
Mar 05, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Boy, I loved this movie. That was a big surprise; I normally don't get much out of slasher movies. Of course this was a lot MORE than a slasher movie, but I even got a nice chill at the over-the-top hack-and-slash scenes, and the movie as a whole was just so creepy and addictive and bizarrely FUN that I had to give the movie novelization a try.

I can understand the allure of movie novelizations; I actually wrote one for an X-Files episode and one for the 1980's Transformers movie when I was a tee
Fen
Apr 26, 2012 Fen rated it it was ok
I feel a bit bad about giving this one only two stars, because it wasn't horrible and I might even reread it again someday... but I think maybe I wasn't the proper audience for it. I picked up the book mostly because I wasn't sure I wanted to see the movie (I'm not a fan of gore) but I also didn't want to get too spoiled for it... reading the novelization seemed like a good compromise. The book is well-written, the story is for the most part engaging, there's enough mystery to the motivations of ...more
Casey Crocker
Jun 12, 2012 Casey Crocker rated it it was ok
After reading this book, I'm undeceive on how to rate this novelization. When I first saw the previews to this movie, I was uninterested, however, I stumbled upon the book. I had nothing else to read at the time, so I thought to myself, "Why not? The cover looks interesting itself."
Now, when I started out, I got pretty into it. It caught my attention pretty fast, nevertheless, left me with a lot of questions unanswered. It wasn't until, oh I don't know, when I was three-fourths of the way done,
Jeremy Preacher
May 20, 2015 Jeremy Preacher rated it really liked it
Shelves: media-commentary
This is a lovely book - interviews, concept art, stills, and the script to Cabin in the Woods. I mostly got it out of sheer fannish enthusiasm - it was a smart little movie and I want to encourage everyone involved to make more smart little movies - but I'm happy to have it. I adore concept art, I like reading scripts (and this is a great script) and the interviews were particularly good.
Alexandra
Feb 08, 2016 Alexandra rated it liked it
All in all a pretty good read but it was missing depth. I've read a few movie to novel adaptations and they of course always stick to the movie script - I always try to read the book before seeing the movie but with the movie to book reverse situation Id seen this movie first- but often add layers, details... Just.. More if you know what I mean; which enhances the film, this book really didn't.
Caiti
Jan 22, 2015 Caiti rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
I'm not the type of person who enjoys watching movies unless it's something that I'm dying to see. Cabin in the Woods was not a movie that I was dying to see, however it did look interesting. A lot of people who knew me suggested I see it because they thought I would like it, so I read the synopsis on Wikipedia. It was pretty neat!

So when I learned there was a book, I bought it and read it. The detail to this book was great, from the jiggling breasts to the cutting of throats. I wish there had b
Thomm Quackenbush
Nov 20, 2014 Thomm Quackenbush rated it really liked it
It starts slowly, only recounting what we had seen on the screen (because I cannot fathom anyone reading this who didn't see the movie first). However, Lebbon delves more deeply into Dana's and Marty's thoughts and experiences as the book goes on, which makes it feel like a proper novel instead of a reformatted script.
Erica Patricia
Jun 18, 2014 Erica Patricia rated it it was ok
This is one of those books where the movie is better! I didn't have the imagination to picture all the crazy horror character and creatures.
The details are good and the book does keep you wondering what is actually going on here?

Lot's of deaths, carnage, murder, blood, fighting and gore. Not bad but the movie is better.
Joss Whedon Fans: [2011] The Cabin in the Woods 1 2 Oct 10, 2013 10:20PM
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion
  • 13 Drops of Blood
  • Hell Train
  • K-Pax III: The Worlds of Prot (K-Pax, #3)
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
  • Undead
  • Triumph of The Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman's Zombie Epic on Page and Screen
  • The Mothers of Voorhisville
  • The Drowning Pool
  • The Animal Rebellion (Shivers, #4)
  • Spike: A Dark Place
  • Gleefully Macabre Tales
  • The Harrowing
I love writing, reading, triathlon, real ale, chocolate, good movies, occasional bad movies, and cake.

I was born in London in 1969, lived in Devon until I was eight, and the next twenty years were spent in Newport. My wife Tracey and I then did a Good Thing and moved back to the country, and we now live in the little village of Goytre in Monmouthshire with our kids Ellie and Daniel. And our dog,
More about Tim Lebbon...