Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  1,410,245 ratings  ·  20,795 reviews
Harry Potter is a wizard. He is in his second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little does he know that this year will be just as eventful as the last ...even getting there is an adventure in itself! The three firm friends, Harry, Ron and Hermione, are soon immersed in the daily round of Potions, Herbology, Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, and Quid ...more
Paperback, Signature Edition, 256 pages
Published November 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury (first published July 2nd 1998)

Lora
Aug 13, 2011 Lora rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the first
Recommended to Lora by: my enjoyment of the first
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

Such a wise wizard.

You know how sometimes when you read the first in a series and it turns out so much better than you originally anticipated, it makes you a little apprehensive when starting the sequel? Well, I felt that way before starting this, but I can definitely say that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is another fabulous installment in the rightfully beloved Harry Potter series!
Christina Wilder

Wil Wheaton
Overall, I loved this, and I can't wait to start Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today.

Quick thoughts on the things that stood out to me:

Wow, the Dursleys were even more loathsome in this book than the first.
I love the Weasleys even more than I already did.
I am so glad my mother never sent me a Howler.
I thought Dobby was annoying in the movie (which I saw when it came out over a decade ago, not having read the book) but I thought he was awesome in the book. In fact, we rewatched the
Zoë (readbyzoe)
Book 21/100 of 2015

(REREAD)

Okay DUH 5/5 stars. I actually liked this book more than I remembered! This used to be my least favorite of the Harry Potter books and while that still might be true, I was more entertained than I was expecting! I always forget how different book Ginny is from movie Ginny (wayyy better and more interesting) and how she has such a bigger role in the books than the films.

NOW ONTO HP AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN!
Chris
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as someone who's just getting into Freudian theory.

From the very beginning, the true nature of this story is quite obvious - The Chamber of Secrets. There is only one "c
Raeleen Lemay
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MY LORD VOLDEMORT.

In this book we get more little hints to events to come in future books (Horcrux stuff, a mention of Voldemort having left a part of himself/his powers in Harry, etc.) WHICH WAS AWESOME. I find that every time I read these books I notice more things, which was definitely true this time around.

One thing I did notice, which COULD HAVE SOLVED EVERYTHING:

At the beginning of the book when they're leaving for King's Cross, Ginny
Mohammed Arabey
هل كنت لتصدق منذ عقدين أن الجرائد قد تقرأها علي جهاز لوحي خفيف بلا أسلاك، تنقل لك الخبر بالصوت وفيديو وقت حدوثه اينما كنت وتقلب صفحاتها علي الجهاز كأنها جريدة بجد

Knight Ridder علي فكرة الموضوع بدأ 1994 ,قبل أبل بسنوات لشركة أسمها
لماذا أذن أعتبر البعض أن ما يحدث في رواية هاري بوتر 1997 من جرائد ذات صور متحركة سحر محرم؟

بل وحرقوا كتب الرواية في ساحات حرق الكتب لانها حرام؟
طب انت عارف أن من وقت للتاني يظهر أشخاص نادرة بأي مكان بالعالم وعلي مر الزمن ولدوا بقدرات غريبة،ممكن تكون موهبة عقلية فذة ، أو م
Elisa
A lot of people cite this book as their least favorite in the Potter saga; many of my friends included. When I asked one of my friends why he felt it was the worst of the bunch, he gave me a very reasonable reply. He'd come in late on the Potter game, having only read them last year in fact, when a Professor of his was walking them through what it takes to be a good mystery-- using Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as an example of a perfectly fashioned mystery.

Moving on to the second book,
Inge
The Harry Potter series is like one giant puzzle, and during every book, tiny puzzle pieces start fitting together and forming a whole. There are hints everywhere about what's going to happen, sort of like inside jokes for people who've already read the books, but the mystery remains. J.K. Rowling keeps you guessing up until the final pages.

I love how every character brings something else to the table. Ron's dry comments, Fred and George's pranks, Hermione's cleverness, Dumbledore's charming str
Namratha
In a bid to recapture the Harry Potteresque brand of nostalgia, I am re-reading the series. And loving every bit of it.

I always find that the second offering in a long-running series is always the most fulfilling. After the first book, we have the character profiles down to a tee, we have decided on our personal favourites and pet-peeves and we can easily summon up the scenery and the ambience. So now it’s just a question of belting-up and getting ready for more nail-biting action.
And Harry Po
Juliana Zapata
Estos libros son tan hermosos que llenan de amor el corazón! Como ya dije del libro anterior están llenos de magia y de ternura. Con cada libro amas a los personajes, estoy terriblemente encariñada con Harry y amo a Hermione por encima de todo.

Espero poner leer pronto el siguiente libro

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
⇠ ⇢* Sophie MG
Sooooo....I finished the second book :D
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Swaps55
While the story fits neatly together and again, her imagination is fantastic, the flat characters that play to extreme stereotypes take a lot of the enjoymeny out of this story.

There is no excuse for Gilderoy Lockhart. Granted, his fame obsession and ludicrous self-absorption make for some amusing Rowling-esque moments that make the series good (such as a dozen Lockharts running for cover in the photo frames with rollers in their hair), but at the expense of the reader's patience. This degree o
Dylan Williams
This used to be my least favourite book in the series - but I loved it this time around!
Stepheny

About a year ago I threw a tantrum begged Delee to read Harry Potter with me. She had never read it and I just simply can’t accept that. Because let’s face it:

Well, she inevitably, jumped on the bandwagon with the rest of the world. I was so thrilled that she not only finally read it but that she loved it. It took her a whole year to get around to the next book, but she did and that’s all that matters. She’s already given this one 5 stars! AND we’ve scheduled our reading of Prisoner of Azkaba
Laz
Jan 21, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: magic world lovers
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

While I think the movies are just awesome, I think they fail to capture the magic this book has. This book just enveloped me in my magic. Magic, magic everywhere. Surrounding me. Making me feel like I was a person living inside this magnificent world, but terrifying and dangerous nonetheless.

This is the second book in the series and I couldn't have been more satisfied with it, I don't know if there's anything
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
As Dumbledore once said, "it is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

My ability to write a proper review for this book does not exist, so I choose to leave it at five stars and two Dobby snaps in a circle ; )

Nina
This is not a review. (Sorry, Vivian!)
Allright, now that we've got this out of the way, I would like to point out three seemingly uninportant things that guaranteed this book five shining, sparkling stars, two of which (the things, not the stars) only appeared in the very last pages of the book.

1. page 352/366
For nearly a quarter of an hour [Harry] spoke into the rapt silence [...].

A quarter of an hour. Not hours, a seemingly endless amount of time, half a day, the whole night. A quarter of an
Nikoleta
Τι κάνεις όταν όοολοι γύρω σου φοβούνται ότι ο κόσμος τελειώνει; Όταν όλα τα ΜΜΕ προειδοποιούν ότι δεν θα έχουμε λεφτά, θα έρθει κατακλυσμός, ότι θα μας καταπιεί η τρύπα του όζοντος κι άλλα τέτοια ωραία; Που να στραφείς; Φυσικά ούτε λόγος για βαρύγδουπο ανάγνωσμα. Θέλω κάτι κεφάτο αλλά με αρκετή περιπέτεια και αρκετό μυστήριο ώστε να με κρατάει, κάτι καλογραμμένο και ωραίο, κάτι αγαπητό να μου σταθεί σε δύσκολες ώρες. Φυσικά ναι… τι κι αν έχω διαβάσει 4 με 5 φορές το καθένα; Χαρι Ποτερ φυσικά!!! ...more
Franco  Santos
Y van otras cinco estrellas...

Amo esto.
Xime García
¡Harry Potter corre un grave peligro! ¡Harry Potter no debe volver a Hogwarts!

description

Y después una cosa llevó a la otra y alguien abrió la Cámara Secreta y Harry habla pársel y ayer empecé y terminé el libro Y NO ME ARREPIENTO DE NADA.

QUIERO PASAR UNA NAVIDAD EN HOGWARTS.

PERDÓN POR EL FANGIRLEO.
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
There is just no way to do these books justice. I can't even try.

photo tumblr_mkjwxeau2l1rtmlvfo3_250_zps39b2f900.gif

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." Dumbledore

photo images1_zpsd23312b6.jpg

Thanks again to my friend Litchick for coming up with this most awesome group read!
Kathe L
4,5 stars!

I'M BACK!!!!!

What can I say about this amazing series that completely steal my heart? It doesn't matter if I'm stressed and sick as I was in this past one week and a half - this book completely soothes me. For some people, Harry Potter may just be a magical story that is far from reality and that they only find interesting. For me, it's a way to travel to another world and get lost. It's rooting for characters, being scared for them and trying to guess what is going on. It's... it's tu
Tormenta
"—Exacto —dijo Dumbledore, volviendo a sonreír—. Eso es lo que te diferencia de Tom Ryddle. Son nuestras elecciones, Harry, las que muestran lo que somos, mucho más que nuestras habilidades."

Tengo la sensación de que no va a ser suficiente ni cuando termine la saga completa.
Andreas
richtig genial wieder :) ich hatte es gar nicht mehr so unheimlich in Erinnerung xD
J.G. Keely
In her second outing, Rowling builds up her confidence (and relationship with her publisher) enough to begin her signature page number crawl. Unfortunately, for this book, her chaotic plotting means that the further length just becomes more scattered moments.

Despite some interesting twists and concepts, this is the weakest entry in the series. It betrays a utilitarian sense of plot and worldbuilding, in that it expands the story little. Of course, Rowling never really gets the process of stream
Kassidy
Wow, this was so so good!!!

At first, I was a little iffy about it because the characters are so young. It took me a bit to get into, but once they arrived at Hogwarts, I loved it! I love how the writing really draws you in and gives such a beautiful atmosphere. I loved all of the descriptions of the school, it really engaged my imagination.
I was surprised by how many times this book.. well.. surprised me! I thought I would be able to figure everything out, but the plot is very intricate. The twi
Maureen
Read originally in 2009

Reread in 2014 for #HarryXmasToYou

There is SO MUCH MORE foreshadowing in this book than I ever realized before. Peeves breaking the vanishing cabinet anyone?? Anyway, a lot of people say this is their least favorite, but I actually like it quite a lot! Ginny is one of my favorite characters, so I love that she plays a pretty big role in this book. All in all, just fantastic, as always.
Maxwell
Reread November 2014

While this is probably one of my least favorites of the series, it's still a fantastic book. I can't say for sure why I don't love it as much as the others, but it's just never stood out to me.

However, upon rereading it, I am reminded again how great Rowling is at developing a story arc! There are so many hints to later parts of the series in this book! Especially with Tom Riddle showing up, the diary, hints of Ron's affection for Hermione, and overall just building up the ch
  • A Muralha de Gelo (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter
  • Fire (Graceling Realm, #2)
  • Mio, My Son
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal (Rowan of Rin, #3)
  • Fire and Ice (Warriors, #2)
  • The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #12)
  • Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2)
  • Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • The Stone Light (Dark Reflections, #2)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)