Start by marking “Lionboy” as Want to Read:
Lionboy

Lionboy (Lionboy Trilogy #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  1,322 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
When his parents are kidnapped, what's ten-year-old Charlie Ashanti to do? Rescue them, that's what He doesn?t know who has taken his parents, or why. But he does know that one special talent will aid him on his journey?his amazing ability to speak Cat. Charlie calls on his clever feline friends?from stray city cats to magnificent caged lions?for help. With them by his sid ...more
Published September 2nd 2004 by Puffin Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lionboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lionboy

Martyn Stanley
Mar 06, 2017 Martyn Stanley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well! I finished it! I'd really describe this as fantasy adventure. Though if I'm honest it doesn't really feature many of the ingredients I personally consider are required for the fantasy adventure recipe. I write fantasy adventure (The Last Dragon Slayer is currently Free on most Ebook Retailers!), to me the genre is about dragons, dwarves, elves, dungeons and battles, with a sprinkling of magic.

So what makes this fantasy adventure?

Well, it's clearly set in some sort of post-fossil-fuel fut
Charlie Schnell
Feb 21, 2008 Charlie Schnell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Read this one with my daughter. Neither one of us were thrilled with the book. We discussed it and found that we were both fairly bored. On the bright side it did help her meet reading goals at school.
Ravencrantz
Nov 08, 2012 Ravencrantz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a younger audience
This book has been sitting on my shelf since middle school and honestly I wish I read it back then because I think I would have enjoyed it more. I mean, it's great. It has a POC as the main character and that's something I always love because we need more diversity in books. Plus he can talk to cats. I'm thinking that was the reason I picked this book up all those years ago. That or the shiny cover.

I finished it pretty quickly, so I mean it didn't take up a lot of my time, but I just don't think
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
What a fun book! Just a romping, rollicking adventure story with lots of layers to it. I read this book all in one day; it's an easy read and really captured my attention. The plot even surprised me a few times!

I love Charlie's character! His emotional ups and downs are perfectly timed to the pace of the plot, and give us a feel for his humanity, making him an interesting and endearing character.
I loved Charlie's parents right away too; such a quirky family with their own little language!
Even th
Leoliga
Feb 28, 2008 Leoliga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how the athor make the coverpage with a lion and the title LION BOY. I also liked how the author start talking about how the kid start talking too the animals but only the family of the cats, specially with the lions.The bad part was that the parents of the kid were rapted because they trated to invent a posion that was for the alergickis of the cats. In the book the kid go to a circus and know that he can talk to the lions so he scaped with them to a place and find a king. The book is v ...more
Mac Cusanelli
Feb 04, 2016 Mac Cusanelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book "LionBoy" by Zizou Corder was an amazing book. It is about a kid named Charlie who has parents that are scientist. Charlie also has a special trait where he can talk to cats. It all starts when some kid named Rafi who kidnaps his parents because they were working on some cure to asthma. So Charlie goes on a huge journey to try and find them. First, he joins a circus that is going to Paris because a cat told him that two strange men were talking about bringing them to Paris. At the circu ...more
Endah
Oct 12, 2008 Endah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kisah ini dimulai di London bertahun-tahun yang akan datang. Adalah Charlie Ashanti, bocah lelaki berayahkan Aneba Ashanti, ilmuwan asal Ghana (Afrika) dan beribukan Magdalen Start, juga seorang ilmuwan, asli Inggris. Maka, Charlie berkulit kecoklatan hasil berpaduan ayah-ibunya.

Seperti anak lainnya, Charlie sekolah, bermain, dan senang bertualang. Ia memiliki keistimewaan yang tidak dipunyai oleh seorang anak – atau bahakan orang dewasa sekalipun – yakni, mampu berbahasa kucing.

Sejarahnya begin
Anton
Feb 25, 2017 Anton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story telling, I appreciate the diversity, and I love the settings. The characters lack depth and the writing is average at best, but I still appreciate this book for what it is. Will jump into the second book now!
Jackie
Charlie Ashanti's parents are brilliant scientists, and they are on the brink of finding a cure for asthma. The world should be rejoicing, but the people who profit from selling asthma medications are not too thrilled. That may be the reason they've kidnapped his parents and Charlie finds himself in deep danger. Charlie has a special gift, though, he speaks Cat. And, through this special ability, he is able to enlist the aid of cats everywhere to send secret messages to his parents and communica ...more
Paula
Aug 16, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A perfectly charming book! Probably not the best word -- charming -- to lure a young audience, but really, this is a wonderful book for readers who want pluck and teeth and who are not yet ready to abandon courage and hope. I love the way way the author (a duo, I think, with an odd pseudonym) made the fanciful real and the real fanciful. The premise is ridiculous, though the evil corporation angle will appeal in a tangible way to lefties. And Charlie, the brave Lionboy, is full of brain and braw ...more
Jun 19, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. It was about a boy (who has a very unique gift) whose parents are kidnapped, and how he has to go after them . . . and the adventures he has along the way.

Maybe it's for people a bit younger than me. I'm not sure; I'm not the best judge of that either, coz I've read books before that are for younger-than-me-kids and I don't mind reading books like that if they have a good plot. So yeah. It depends on you ;)
Zumo
May 25, 2014 Zumo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Orinthia Lee
Feb 03, 2016 Orinthia Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lupa kapan tepatnya pertama baca seri ini, udah agak lupa malah sama ceritanya. Tapi yang aku inget dulu aku suka banget sama serial ini. Jadi pengen baca ulang lagi.
Bonnie Wilson
I have to give this two stars for effort: the plot promises well, the characters are diverse, and it's a collaboration between a mother and young daughter. But it really doesn't work for me on multiple fronts.

The authors do fairly well in creating distinct cat-personalities for the domestic cats, but the lions think and speak just like people. The chance-met saviors are not believable, even within a fantasy-adventure. We are in a post-carbon world ruled by a corporatocracy and suddenly a king -
Asriani
Sejarah mencatat, hanya Nabi Sulaiman-lah yang mampu berbicara dengan para hewan. Tak pernah ada lagi nama seseorang yang tercatat setelah beliau, yang mengerti bahasa kucing apalagi di saat yang sama teknologi handphone telah berkembang dengan pesat

Namun tak ada ada hal yang tak mungkin jika semua hal tersebut terjadi di negeri fantasi. Hal – hal apapun diijinkan sehingga tak perlu bertana bagaimana kejadian aneh,ajaib dan yang tidak masuk akan, bahkan konyol sekalipun dapat terjadi dengan muda
Anna Davidson
A fairly fast paced adventure involving a boy who speaks cat, a circus ship and group of lions. I wasn't a fan of the ending, and will be interested to hear what the kids think. Interestingly, this was written by a mother/daughter team.
Thistle
Jan 10, 2017 Thistle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were reviewing only the first third of this book, I'd call it one of the best books I've read in years. The worldbuilding was amazing -- so good that I was in awe of the authors. (Zizou Corderis the pseudonym of mother/daughter British writing team.)

Set in a very near future version of our world, all sorts of alternate sciences (alchemy, voodoo, native magics) work, but the author handled it in a way to make them seem commonplace. One sentence went something like His mother was in the kitch
Maddie S
Jan 22, 2017 Maddie S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While riding with the circus we can imagine hearing the roar of the lions that young Charlie Ashanti had befriended on his wilde adventure to find his parents. In this story the reader is taken on anadventre with a young African boy named Charlie who couldn’t be happier with his Mom and Dad. He is a smart, intelligent boy who finds at a very young age he could speak to cats of all kinds. With a child like that Charlie’s parents worry about people finding out and treating their son differently, b ...more
Laina
Mar 03, 2012 Laina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-2012
My rating: 4 out of 5

I really enjoyed this book. I think young adults will too because Charlie is at such a young age when his parents are taken from him, yet he has the courage to venture out and search for them. The book is well written and features large print that makes it a quick and easy read. What makes this book especially neat is that Zizou Corder is the shared pen-name of English novelist Louisa Young and her daughter Isabel Adomakoh Young.

Plot summary:
The first in a series of three,
This was one of my favourite books of my childhood. I read it when I was about 12 and I loved it so much because it was so appealing to me. It is about a boy called Charlie whose parents are kidnapped. Charlie is a strong character, smart and resourceful, but the most interesting thing about him is that he can speak Cat. Both now and when I was a child, cats have always been my favourite animal so I thought that Charlie was immediately very cool.

Another thing that I loved about the book is that
Erin
This book came highly recommended to me by numerous students who read it before me, and I did find that the plot drew me in. While I thought that Lionboy was going to be a fantasy novel (based on the blurb on the cover:"A zinger of a story, told with a J. K. Rowling-like blend of humor, drama, and headlong plotting." --the Washington Post) it turned out to border on dystopian science fiction. Charlie's parents have been kidnapped by the Corporacy, an economic power player that even the British g ...more
Kim Dyer
There are a couple of things that Lionboy does very well. It possesses a very unique premise and contains a very strong male lead. However, beyond this it has a lot of problems.

Firstly, this novel is marketed as having appeal for children and young adults but personally I don't see it. It's a children's book, plain and simple. The language and plot structure are far too simplistic to have any real appeal for an older audience.

The pacing is painfully slow in places. Although the start and end of
NightAuditMan
My daughter recieved the book in a box of stuff from a family member...I think. She was not interested and I thought that back cover blurb seemed interesting enough. I was not aware that it was part of a series of books until I added it to my "to read" list on goodreads.

At it's core there is a very interesting idea here. A boy who can speak with all forms of felines. Add to that a little mystery of his disappearing parents and the fact that world is sometime in the future after oil has run out
Phoebehughson
Nov 08, 2015 Phoebehughson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

This book was, overall, very good. I enjoyed the plot and it seemed.. realistic, even though it wasn’t really. I did, however have some minor issues with the writing style, but they didn’t really effect my opinion too much. Even though I know the book is middle grade, the witting style did seem quite annoying and childish at times (this may be because I don’t really read middle grade). Also, the way in which the author described different things throughout the book got slightly tireso
Melissa
Aug 31, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I pulled up the correct version of this audiobook. I tried to find the narrator's name listed and couldn't, but I wanted to make sure to give credit to Simon Jones as a an extremely talented narrator.

The story was really good, not life-changing; lots of adventure and excitement. I was quickly drawn in and rooting for young Charlie. The variety of characters throughout the book is great.

The writing is very good when compared with most of today's juvenile fiction.

But the narrati
Helen
I picked this up as a potential title for my Chatterbooks group, but as it turns out I can't get enough copies for everyone so it is a non starter. Probably just as well, since I think they would be frustrated by the fact that the story doesn't actually end. Turns out it is the first of a trilogy, but nothing about the edition I read made this clear. So that was a bit of a downer for a start. I suppose I should have expected it from the pacing. There is a very long scene in the circus describing ...more
Indi Taufik
Dec 27, 2010 Indi Taufik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pecinta buku anak dan petualangan :)
Ini buku yang paling sulit aku baca. Hmm, entah kenapa. Padahal bukunya "enak" dipegang dan jenis hurufnya juga ramah dimata.
Aku beli buku ini bulan Maret 2008 lalu, tapi baru dibaca beberapa hari yang lalu. Sampai hari ini aku baru "tiba" dihalaman 43 :p

Buku ini menceritakan tentang Charlie Ashanti, anak laki-laki yang bisa berbahasa kucing. Suatu hari, secara misterius orang tuanya menghilang. Intinya buku ini tentang petualangan Charlie.

Aku nggak terlalu penasaran sama endingnya. Rasanya buk
grdel
Lion boy by Zizou Corder
Posted on August 30, 2016 by g.r.del

This was first published in 2004 and is not only still in print but deservedly popular. A great adventure story set in a dystopian near future with steampunk flourishes. Charlie Ashanti, a mixed race black British boy who can talk to cats, find his scientists parents kidnapped. Could this be to do with their research into an anti-asthma vaccine? With only the cats to help him, Charlie sets off on a mission to rescue them. Written
Alma Q
Sep 13, 2013 Alma Q rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle-schoolers who prize lions more than adventures.
Maybe I didn't remember the details but my overall opinion on this book hasn't changed over the years... even though it's entertaining and funny-ish from time to time and not badly written, it's also a lot slower than it needs to be and occasionally more annoying than entertaining in style (no info-dumping, but all telling mixed with more or less interesting facts). This makes it more boring than I would like, especially when speaking of a book aimed at young readers.

Still, I think the near-futu
-Sakura-
Jan 12, 2017 -Sakura- rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in German so there might be some variations but I think it's pretty much the same.

I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. It started off quite fun, and i feel like the author could have done so much with this book. She could have taken it one amazing unique way or she could have taken the doesn't add up random way. She took the second way.

This book was just so so boring and there were massive plot flaws in it.

I will say though, that the characters were all ver
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • The Story of Cirrus Flux
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Payback (Boy Soldier, #2)
  • The Jumbee
  • The Secret of the Dread Forest (Faire Folk Trilogy #3)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • Who Am I? The Diary Of Mary Talence, Sydney 1937
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • The Minutes of the Lazarus Club
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Sinatra Files: The Secret FBI Dossier
  • Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3 (The Softwire #3)
  • Reckoning (Star Wars: The Last of the Jedi, #10)
Zizou Corder is Louisa Young and Isabel Adomakoh Young, whose names are too long to fit on the front of a book.

Louisa is a grown-up and has written five grown-up books; Isabel is a kid and has written mostly schoolwork.

The original Zizou is Isabel's lizard, only he spells it Zizu. They Have written five books together: the highly acclaimed Lionboy trilogy, Lee Raven Boy Thief and Halo.

They live in
More about Zizou Corder...

Lionboy Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Chase (Lionboy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Truth (Lionboy Trilogy, #3)

“Charlie wanted to swear. ****, he thought, remembering how his father had told him that one reason you shouldn't swear is because then when you really need a strong word to express a strong feeling you would have none strong enough left.” 0 likes
“He forgot all about the parchment written in blood, and didn’t think of it again until six months later, when he came home to find that his parents had disappeared.” 0 likes