Start by marking “Star Flight” as Want to Read:
Star Flight

Star Flight

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The lush, secluded mountains of North Carolina's Lake Lure had drawn Lauren Castle into their spell. It was here, in 1938, that Hollywood's glamour girl, Victoria Frazer, drowned during a scandalous affair with actor Roger Brandt. Few knew about the baby spirited into the night. That baby was Lauren's mother. Just two years ago, Lauren's husband, returned to Lake Lure to f ...more
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published March 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published August 17th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Star Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Flight

M.
This was my first book by Phyllis Whitney, an author whose book titles are evocative and inviting. It turns out the stories match that description also.

Star Flight finds Lauren Castle arriving at Lake Lure in South Carolina. Lake Lure is a place of mystery and legend. Lauren's husband died there on a film shoot, and her grandfather lives there in his reclusive waterfront mansion. Lauren has never met him, as her mother was the product of a love affair between her grandfather, a former movie star
Pr Latta
[audio] I was looking for an mp3 to download (WMA player died...) and I've been entertained by some of Whitney's other titles (they remind me of Granny). I initially had a bit of a problem with Anna Fields -- I keep thinking "Susan Elizabeth Phillips" but on my second go 'round became accustomed to her voice and it worked. This was a "background" listen for me - I never really engaged (which is why it took two tries to finish) and the biggest pull for me was it's sense of place: spot on for the ...more
Colette
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed her books. Reading this made me want to go to where the book was set...
Doris
I discovered Ms Whitney when I was in Junior High (aka middle school), and have been a fan ever since. This book lived up to her trademark attention to detail.

I loved the detail of the area, and was able to picture the scenery as well, since I lived near there for many years. It was nice to see it detailed, and amusing to see all the uses for kudzu. Are there really that many uses for kudzu? I don't know, but it made the reading more interesting, seeing how the author described uses for an invas
Mary
I read some of her books when I was younger and thought they were pretty good. I found this to be over the top drama in terms of character development and conversations and just not a great read. Skimmed thru to the end just to finish after I was 2/3 done.
Dayna Smith
I am probably the biggest Whitney fan ever, but this is not my favorite of her works. It is still a nice read for the wonderful attention to scenery and detail that are Whitney's trademarks. Lauren Castle is called to Lake Lure, North Carolina, to investigate the untimely death of her husband, Jim. Jim was producing a documentary about a 1930s film star. Did he uncover secrets that cost him his life?
Debbie
Really good listen for the car. I could follow easily. I liked the narrator a lot and she added much to the reading. I enjoyed this book and would do more that are similar for the commute. Loved the setting as I was a little familiar with it. Quick and entertaining read.
ariel
Good mystery and nice writing style. I just think the way the characters talked was unrealistic, haha. It bothered me sometimes.
Marcie Lewis
Downloaded it as an audio book from the library. I enjoyed listening to it in the car and while cleaning house.
Avary
My aunt gave this to me for Christmas, because it's set in around Lake Lure, NC.
It was OK.
Judi
Love, mysticism, and mystery all rolled into one - what's not to like?
Amy
Quick read. Nice little murder mystery ghost story.
Michelle
great story, little mystic
Holly
Holly added it
May 26, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Se Eldridge
Se Eldridge marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Northern Belle Bookworm
Northern Belle Bookworm marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Lady Di
Lady Di marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • The Demon Lover
  • Missing Max
  • On Christmas Eve
  • From Fields of Gold
  • Cauldstane
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...
Hunter's Green Window on the Square The Singing Stones Thunder Heights The Turquoise Mask