Start by marking “For These Tough Times: Reaching Toward Heaven for Hope and Healing” as Want to Read:
For These Tough Times: Reaching Toward Heaven for Hope and Healing

For These Tough Times: Reaching Toward Heaven for Hope and Healing

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
When tragedy strikes, people desperately search for answers. Believers and unbelievers alike find themselves turning to God. Best-selling author and pastor Max Lucado points to the only real answer to tragedy and crisis: Prayer. In For These Tough Times, Lucado helps us understand how to pray despite our doubt and fear.
Published September 1st 2006 by W Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about For These Tough Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For These Tough Times

Stephanie
Jan 14, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
"When all that is good falls apart, what can good people do?' The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord sits on his throne in heaven." - Psalm 11:3-4.

"Isn't David's question ours? When all that is good falls apart, what can good people do? When illness invades, marriages fail, children suffer, and death strikes, what are we to do?" - For The Tough Times: Reaching Toward Heaven for Hope by Max Lucado.

Don't we all ask those questions at times? I know I have. When my Grandma died after battling canc
Katie
For the Tough Times is the first book by Max Lucado I have ever read, so I cannot say whether this little book is representative of his body of work. If it is, however, I cannot say that I would rush out to pick up another of his books.

The strongest feature of Lucado’s small book (it is 96 pages long and about half the size of a standard paperback) are the Bible verses he quotes. His book is intended for an audience who is suffering extreme difficulty—the death of a loved one, the loss of a job
Lionel Valdellon
Jan 21, 2010 Lionel Valdellon rated it really liked it
I’ve learned that judging a book by its length is just as unfair as by its cover. Lucado’s For the Tough Times is one of those small gift books that at first glance seems light and fluffy, but actually contains more than you may have bargained for. It’s a quick, easy read that makes a perfect gift for a loved one undergoing a trial.

That’s what the book is about: trials. Tough topics such as death, grief, pain, revenge are handled and given the proper solutions: faith, silence, intercession, for
Josh L
Apr 10, 2012 Josh L rated it liked it
You can find my full review at Quieted Waters.

This was the first Max Lucado book I’ve read, but it fit with everything I’d heard of him. The book was true to Christianity’s basic principles, was easy to read, and was comforting to the reader. On the other hand, it was also a bit simple, and perhaps too trite for some. Overall, it is a very pleasant read, and it represents God’s goodness in a loving way.

The basic idea of For The Tough Times is that God is sovereign and watching out for us, so we
Michael Ellis
Jan 14, 2016 Michael Ellis rated it liked it
This was extremely short, especially when I listened to the audio book on 1.5x speed. I probably could have slowed it down and listened a little harder but I think I got the heart of it anyway.
Jordan
Feb 28, 2016 Jordan rated it really liked it
I enjoyed and was blessed by this book. I really recommend it for those of you going through something difficult who need encouragement.
Tim
Jan 21, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A small book with a big message.

This is a very timely book that has been re-released by Thomas Nelson (For These Tough Times was the original). I hadn't read that version, but I found this one to be very encouraging and brought focus during my own tough times. So many are facing tough situations right now, this would be a perfect gift for them.

The chapter entitled "In The Silence God Speaks" was especially poignant to me as I so often don't take the time to quietly wait to hear God's voice.

This
Debbie Desotell
it was very spiritual, I enjoyed it very much! It lightened my heart!
Tamara
Jun 12, 2014 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love Lucado!!!!!
Cathy Bryant
Jan 18, 2009 Cathy Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The topic of suffering is relevant to every human being on the face of the planet. As times get tougher, we tend to question why more often. A quick perusal of newspaper headlines or television news will show us that times are growing tougher by the moment.

Max Lucado once again delivers the answer--God.

For The Tough Times is a small book that packs a big punch.

(See http://wordvessel.blogspot.com for a more in-depth review.)
Rich Abraham
It tackles the toughest of situations we face and it is so true, God has it all in the palm of his hands and isn't surprised one bit about a loss, struggle, hardship or the likes. I'm hoping to pass on some of this encouragement to those facing such challenges in the future and already have passed some of this along to those in need as well.
Honeypie
Nov 04, 2013 Honeypie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is actually the "version" I bought.
ISBN: 978-971-789-228-3
OC lang. Hehehe!

---

If you think your life is tough, you got it right! Read this to have a little more understanding of what you're going through. Read this to be comforted. : )
Melissa
Feb 25, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Good little book. You can read it in an afternoon and I guarantee you'll want to pass it along.
Chris
Feb 18, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
I really liked the book. Again, it contained some glaring errors that disappointed me.
Thompson
Nov 04, 2012 Thompson rated it really liked it
Very helpful little book for when we face tough times.
Mark Mccay
Full of encouragement for any situation you may be facing.
Caleb Warren
Feb 23, 2013 Caleb Warren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on the sovereignty of God.
Alison
Alison added it
Mar 31, 2016
Teena Welch
Teena Welch marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Nancy Dobson
Nancy Dobson marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Darlene Krummenacker
Darlene Krummenacker marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Malcolm
Malcolm rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Leahmarie
Leahmarie is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Maddie
Maddie rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Power of Praying: Help for a Woman's Journey Through Life
  • Experiencing Grief
  • Mr Jones, Meet the Master
  • Hope In Our Hearts
  • The Man Who Moved a Mountain
  • 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics
  • When the Darkness Will Not Lift: Doing What We Can While We Wait for God--And Joy
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • Heaven: Your Real Home
  • Searching for Happiness
  • Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity
  • A Short Life of Jonathan Edwards
  • All the Places to Go . . . How Will You Know?: God Has Placed before You an Open Door. What Will You Do?
  • Falling in Love with Jesus: Abandoning Yourself to the Greatest Romance of Your Life
  • Adam: God's Beloved
  • When God Doesn't Fix It: Lessons You Never Wanted to Learn, Truths You Can't Live Without
  • Spiritual Classics: Selected Readings on the Twelve Spiritual Disciplines
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...

“Your difficulty, your disease, your conflict are preparing you to be a voice of encouragement to your brothers.” 5 likes