Start by marking “Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)” as Want to Read:
Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)

Floodgates (Faye Longchamp #5)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In New Orleans, archaeologist Faye Longchamp and her team discover a corpse that's far too new to be an archaeological find. Is the victim's heroic rescue work in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina somehow the key to her death?
MP3 CD
Published July 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published July 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Floodgates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floodgates

Cathy
I listened to this book and could not stay engaged. After discussing the book at Orca I feel vindicated, the book was not engaging and was contrived, predictable and did not make sense.
Heather
Faye Longchamp is working on a historical site that may or may not be the site of a former plantation next to a National Park, a battlefield in New Orleans that sits next to the Mississippi River. The story takes place post Katrina and the effects of Katrina on the residents can still be seen in their eyes, in their loss, and in their stories they have to share. One of the park rangers, a young man, agrees to take Faye to the ninth ward where so much damage was done and people are still living i ...more
Barbara
Faye is working an excavation on a battlefield in New Orleans some 3 years after Katrina. The battlefield had not been flooded in the storm but there were plenty of areas in the City that showed the devastation from the storm. In fact, a new body is found that seems to be related to Katrina. There haven't been any such discoveries in a very long time. It turns out that this is Shelly Broussard who, like Faye, was an archaeology student. Once it is determined that this was probably a murder rathe ...more
Patty
Faye and Joe are in New Orleans doing archeology on a Civil War site when a body is found in the Lower Ninth. The setting is post-Katrina and the Lower Ninth is the area that has still not recovered from all the horrors of that hurricane.

There are murders and attempted murders and several bait 'n switch on who dunnit but as usual there was a lot of good history both ancient and recent. The parts about the engineering feats that keep a city below sea level and surrounded by ocean, river and lake
LJ
First Sentence: Faye Longchamp was surprised at herself.

I very much enjoyed the first book of this series “Artifacts” but haven’t been able to get into any of the others. For a book set in such an evocative location, there lacked a strong sense of place. It was only through Detective Jodi Bienvieu are we given any character of the atmosphere.

The romance between Faye and Joe took the story into the realms of romance, but not in a good way; the character of Joe a bit too perfect and the relations
Donna
In this fifth book in the Faye Longchamp series, Faye is working on a dig in New Orleans and gets involved in a murder related to Hurricane Katrina, which occurred three years before the events in the book.

I didn't like this one quite as much as the others in the series. The mystery aspect didn't hang together all that well and the Katrina-related aspects seemed too strident. Also, the 19th century journal entries sounded entirely too modern in their voice and I found that jarring.

I always enjoy
Anita
If you start this series you will appreciate this entry eve more than a new reader; the evolving character of Faye Longchamp and fiancé Joe Woof Mantooth add another layer to the stories.
Shomeret
The author of this novel is an engineer, so she was able to deal authentically with the engineering aspect of the levees in this New Orleans mystery and provide a retrospective history on them.

But that's not the only thing that's different about this post-Katrina book. There is a Voodoo mambo who is very well portrayed including a powerful ritual with great symbolism that is integral to the plot.

As a fan of this series, I was pleased with the relationship content. The central character, archae
Leslie Angel
working my way through this author,like the setting--Florida coast, Louisiana--would like more archaeology. Enjoyable. Still not quite as good as the first one which was a Wow.
Patty
Terrible. The worst in genre fiction. This was a book club choice, so I had to at least skim it. There were literal mistakes in the book. Words that were wrong, characters dropped in for a paragraph or two, nothing tied together at all. The writing is so bad. I'm sorry anyone wasted their time reading it. The only interesting part was the engineering studies about the NO levees, old maps, etc. And what about the passages from the supposed "old book"--they didn't relate to the story at all. I cou ...more
Gramy
Perhaps I have become lackadaisical in regard to reading fiction. Based upon the quick and easy choices, reading something more in depth like this book takes more energy, thought, and time than I've been used to allotting to my reading. There were too many details flooding the first half of the book that were not directly related to the story line itself, which definately hindered my interest. I enjoy the characters that the author has developed in this series and the unusual teaching moments. M ...more
E.J.
Cover: great artwork.

Story: Shallow and predictable.

The Good: The history of the canals and levees, the inclusion of excerpts from fictional old diaries, and one character, Bobby Longchamp, were excellent, but....

Read the rest of my review to be published on The Deepening tomorrow, August 24, 2009, at Floodgates, a Novel , if you're interested in knowing what I think.

DLKeur, The Deepening
Rowan
This fifth volume in the Faye Longchamp mystery series takes our heroine and her partner, Joe, to New Orleans. Her archaeological work quickly falls aside after she is present when a post-Katrina victim's body is found. As she consults with the police and follows the convoluted family dynamics of the city another mystery is solved. I really liked the historical aspects, the insights into engineering and the interesting people we meet -- from archaeologists, to authors, to engineers, to police of ...more
Sue
Having read others in this series, I was a bit disappointed in this addition. The novel seemed a bit disjointed and to lack a clear sense of what it wants to be--a mystery involving an archaeology site in New Orleans distantly related to Katrina or a treatise on the history of controlling water in the city. For a relatively short novel, it seemed to cram too much in but not enough of the mystery to make it as satisfying as past reads. I had difficulty deciding on a rating between 2 and 3 and wou ...more
Deb
I like this author; however, this book was the worst one I've read in the series. In fact, i couldn't get thru it and cheated. Even the murderer was lame and the reasons why. I fear she is turning into a romance mystery writer which is not to my taste. Archaelogical dig in New Orleans years after Katrina; found a dead body in a house that was totally immersed in water for a while; even the characters in this book were not as good as previous ones. thumbs down on this one.
Susan
Archaeology student Faye Longchamp takes a job in New Orleans and finds that everyone's life is dominated by the events of Hurricane Katrina. While sightseeing, she is present when a body is found, a body that she realizes is murdered, and which has connections with the members of her small crew. She and her fiance Joe are hired to act as police consultants, but Faye gets out of her depth as she tries to find the sinister meaning behind the death.
Terri
In addition to being a continuation of the series that I was reading, this book gave a fascinating look at the unique history of New Orleans and of the controversy concerning some of the aspects of the Katrina experience. The mystery itself was interesting, and the narrative technique which gave perspective to the culture and environmental situations was quite effective. I look forward to the rest of this series. (Kindle edition)
Amy
This story is set in the aftermath of Katrina, aka the big storm or the day the levees broke according to the people of New Orleans.

I know, I know, you think you've heard all of the stories related to Katrina, but this one is truly different. There is a historical presence here that is very interesting and resident archaeologist wastes no time getting involved in another murder mystery.

Another great addition to this series!
PWRL
Jan 28, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Linda Adams
Fay Longchamp is an archealogist who finds murder amidst the wreckage during the aftermath of Katrina. There are some wonderful details about New Orleans, giving me a great sense of the place and the impact of the aftermath of the hurricane.

However, the subplot of Katrina dominates the story, and the mystery takes a backseat. The actual crime occurs late in the story, and there isn't much amateur sleuthing.
Kitty
This is a charming little book which blends modern day post-Katrina New Orleans with the civil engineers of several hundred years earlier who had made it possible for the city to exist with the levees surrounding the city. Throw in a murder from shortly after Katrina that is just now discovered and you've got a satisfying mystery. Enjoy!
Vilo
It was a little hard to get into the book--seemed a bit heavy handed on the multicultural themes--and I'm pretty darn multicultural! But I got engrossed in the history of New Orleans and its solutions to flooding. The mystery was satisfying and I do like the main characters, so I might someday pick up another one in the series.
Deb
2.5 stars. I picked out this book because I was going to New Orleans. It was a day-long light mystery read. Characters and plot were fairly interesting, but not inspiring or gripping. Not much more to say. I probably wouldn't read others in this series.
night music -- bring on the clowns ♫
The author says it herself: "... an infuriating and inexplicably illogical book with a serpentine plot that took to long to get where it was going."

Bloated, flabby writing.
Barbara
I lived in New Orleans when Hurricane Betsy hit in the 60s. I loved the discussions of the city, but the Voodoo parts annoyed me and I don't think that the mystery was strong.
Doreen
Loved this story of a murder that took place right after Katrina in New Orleans. Have to read some more
Grace
I was interested in the storyline, but not held by the characters or the writing, so it didn't work for me.
Susanna
At some point there had to be a mystery taking place during/after Katrina. not bad
Sandra
Worth reading to follow the relationships, but not my favorite book in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Fugitive Truth (An Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
  • The Thai Amulet (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #7)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Sacred Ground
  • Bright Hair About the Bone (Laetitia Talbot, #2)
Mary Anna Evans has degrees in physics and engineering, but her heart is in the past. Her series character, Faye Longchamp, lives the exciting life of an archaeologist, and Mary Anna envies her a little. Her first novel, Artifacts, won the Benjamin Franklin award and it was named by the Voice of Young America (VOYA) as an "Adult Mystery with Young Adult Appeal." Her second novel, Relics, was an In ...more
More about Mary Anna Evans...
Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1) Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2) Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4) Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3) Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)