Start by marking “Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)” as Want to Read:
Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)

Floodgates (Faye Longchamp #5)

In New Orleans, the intersection between the past and the present is all too often deadly. Archaeologist Faye Longchamp and her excavating team are horrified when a corpse surfaces that's far too new to be an archaeological find. Faye and her fiance, Joe Wolf Mantooth, are drawn into the investigation by a detective who believes their professional expertise is critical to ...more
Audio CD
Published July 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published July 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Floodgates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floodgates

Jen
Faye is in New Orleans this time, a few years post-Katrina, taking a break from her PhD work for a paying job running her own dig on the site of an old home. She has hired two local people to help her out - including a voodoo mambo who also happens to be Faye's landlord for the time she's spending in New Orleans. A young park ranger who works near her job site offers to show her the ongoing damage in his neighborhood and in the Lower 9, and while there, a group of kids on a volunteer clean-up cr ...more
Cathy
Mar 14, 2011 Cathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book and could not stay engaged. After discussing the book at Orca I feel vindicated, the book was not engaging and was contrived, predictable and did not make sense.
Heather
Jan 23, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faye Longchamp is working on a historical site that may or may not be the site of a former plantation next to a National Park, a battlefield in New Orleans that sits next to the Mississippi River. The story takes place post Katrina and the effects of Katrina on the residents can still be seen in their eyes, in their loss, and in their stories they have to share. One of the park rangers, a young man, agrees to take Faye to the ninth ward where so much damage was done and people are still living i ...more
Barbara M
Faye is working an excavation on a battlefield in New Orleans some 3 years after Katrina. The battlefield had not been flooded in the storm but there were plenty of areas in the City that showed the devastation from the storm. In fact, a new body is found that seems to be related to Katrina. There haven't been any such discoveries in a very long time. It turns out that this is Shelly Broussard who, like Faye, was an archaeology student. Once it is determined that this was probably a murder rathe ...more
LJ
First Sentence: Faye Longchamp was surprised at herself.

I very much enjoyed the first book of this series “Artifacts” but haven’t been able to get into any of the others. For a book set in such an evocative location, there lacked a strong sense of place. It was only through Detective Jodi Bienvieu are we given any character of the atmosphere.

The romance between Faye and Joe took the story into the realms of romance, but not in a good way; the character of Joe a bit too perfect and the relations
Patty
Feb 25, 2011 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faye and Joe are in New Orleans doing archeology on a Civil War site when a body is found in the Lower Ninth. The setting is post-Katrina and the Lower Ninth is the area that has still not recovered from all the horrors of that hurricane.

There are murders and attempted murders and several bait 'n switch on who dunnit but as usual there was a lot of good history both ancient and recent. The parts about the engineering feats that keep a city below sea level and surrounded by ocean, river and lake
Shomeret
The author of this novel is an engineer, so she was able to deal authentically with the engineering aspect of the levees in this New Orleans mystery and provide a retrospective history on them.

But that's not the only thing that's different about this post-Katrina book. There is a Voodoo mambo who is very well portrayed including a powerful ritual with great symbolism that is integral to the plot.

As a fan of this series, I was pleased with the relationship content. The central character, archae
Patty
Feb 18, 2011 Patty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible. The worst in genre fiction. This was a book club choice, so I had to at least skim it. There were literal mistakes in the book. Words that were wrong, characters dropped in for a paragraph or two, nothing tied together at all. The writing is so bad. I'm sorry anyone wasted their time reading it. The only interesting part was the engineering studies about the NO levees, old maps, etc. And what about the passages from the supposed "old book"--they didn't relate to the story at all. I cou ...more
Helen
Binge reading my way through the adventures of archaeologist/murder investigator Faye Longchamp, I knew I had to hit a clunker sooner or later and this was it for me. Faye has gone off on a post-Katrina excavation in New Orleans and, per usual, a dead body turns up. If you are really interested in canals, sewers, floodgates and other drainage topics, you might like this book, but if you aren't, I Say don't waste your time. One of the disappointments is the way Evans handles Faye's relationship w ...more
Donna
Nov 25, 2012 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2012
In this fifth book in the Faye Longchamp series, Faye is working on a dig in New Orleans and gets involved in a murder related to Hurricane Katrina, which occurred three years before the events in the book.

I didn't like this one quite as much as the others in the series. The mystery aspect didn't hang together all that well and the Katrina-related aspects seemed too strident. Also, the 19th century journal entries sounded entirely too modern in their voice and I found that jarring.

I always enjoy
Rowan
Mar 01, 2012 Rowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fifth volume in the Faye Longchamp mystery series takes our heroine and her partner, Joe, to New Orleans. Her archaeological work quickly falls aside after she is present when a post-Katrina victim's body is found. As she consults with the police and follows the convoluted family dynamics of the city another mystery is solved. I really liked the historical aspects, the insights into engineering and the interesting people we meet -- from archaeologists, to authors, to engineers, to police of ...more
Pamela B.
Dec 25, 2014 Pamela B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone needs to revisit the devastating history of Hurricane Katrina, if only to ensure the dark effects of the storm's aftermath isn't repeated. Evans gives us New Orleans as an entity totally dependent on whatever system is put in place to keep her from flooding water, with the backroom deals, corrupt politicians and inept engineers in the spotlight. Weaving past history of the city with Katrina mysteries, this book is an eye-opener on several levels. New characters showing up here will hope ...more
Sue
Having read others in this series, I was a bit disappointed in this addition. The novel seemed a bit disjointed and to lack a clear sense of what it wants to be--a mystery involving an archaeology site in New Orleans distantly related to Katrina or a treatise on the history of controlling water in the city. For a relatively short novel, it seemed to cram too much in but not enough of the mystery to make it as satisfying as past reads. I had difficulty deciding on a rating between 2 and 3 and wou ...more
E.J.
Aug 22, 2009 E.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cover: great artwork.

Story: Shallow and predictable.

The Good: The history of the canals and levees, the inclusion of excerpts from fictional old diaries, and one character, Bobby Longchamp, were excellent, but....

Read the rest of my review to be published on The Deepening tomorrow, August 24, 2009, at Floodgates, a Novel , if you're interested in knowing what I think.

DLKeur, The Deepening
Gramy
Perhaps I have become lackadaisical in regard to reading fiction. Based upon the quick and easy choices, reading something more in depth like this book takes more energy, thought, and time than I've been used to allotting to my reading. There were too many details flooding the first half of the book that were not directly related to the story line itself, which definately hindered my interest. I enjoy the characters that the author has developed in this series and the unusual teaching moments. M ...more
Deb
Aug 14, 2011 Deb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like this author; however, this book was the worst one I've read in the series. In fact, i couldn't get thru it and cheated. Even the murderer was lame and the reasons why. I fear she is turning into a romance mystery writer which is not to my taste. Archaelogical dig in New Orleans years after Katrina; found a dead body in a house that was totally immersed in water for a while; even the characters in this book were not as good as previous ones. thumbs down on this one.
Amy
Aug 12, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is set in the aftermath of Katrina, aka the big storm or the day the levees broke according to the people of New Orleans.

I know, I know, you think you've heard all of the stories related to Katrina, but this one is truly different. There is a historical presence here that is very interesting and resident archaeologist wastes no time getting involved in another murder mystery.

Another great addition to this series!
Terri
Jan 31, 2013 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In addition to being a continuation of the series that I was reading, this book gave a fascinating look at the unique history of New Orleans and of the controversy concerning some of the aspects of the Katrina experience. The mystery itself was interesting, and the narrative technique which gave perspective to the culture and environmental situations was quite effective. I look forward to the rest of this series. (Kindle edition)
Susan
Jul 23, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archaeology student Faye Longchamp takes a job in New Orleans and finds that everyone's life is dominated by the events of Hurricane Katrina. While sightseeing, she is present when a body is found, a body that she realizes is murdered, and which has connections with the members of her small crew. She and her fiance Joe are hired to act as police consultants, but Faye gets out of her depth as she tries to find the sinister meaning behind the death.
Therese B
I enjoyed this book but not as much as the books the author has written in the pass. This about archeology as always but very wordy! It dragged on in parts although the story was good. Setting is in New Orleans after the
Hurrican Katrina. A body is found but it was confirmed that she didn't die during the hurricane but afterwards and she was murdered. Good strory but too repetitious.
Kitty
Sep 29, 2009 Kitty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming little book which blends modern day post-Katrina New Orleans with the civil engineers of several hundred years earlier who had made it possible for the city to exist with the levees surrounding the city. Throw in a murder from shortly after Katrina that is just now discovered and you've got a satisfying mystery. Enjoy!
Elly Wendy
3* I have enjoyed this series a great deal and was delighted to find another. I was particularly glad that this one dealt with New Orleans post-Katrina. I'm still mulling it over. I can't say why exactly, but although I enjoyed it, I don't feel this one is quite as solid as the previous books. Still, I'll pounce on the next one I find by this author.
Vilo
Aug 02, 2012 Vilo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was a little hard to get into the book--seemed a bit heavy handed on the multicultural themes--and I'm pretty darn multicultural! But I got engrossed in the history of New Orleans and its solutions to flooding. The mystery was satisfying and I do like the main characters, so I might someday pick up another one in the series.
Deb
Apr 26, 2011 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
2.5 stars. I picked out this book because I was going to New Orleans. It was a day-long light mystery read. Characters and plot were fairly interesting, but not inspiring or gripping. Not much more to say. I probably wouldn't read others in this series.
Betsy Brown
Nov 29, 2015 Betsy Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the ties to New Orleans and the insight into those affected by Katrina. The historical aspect included thoughts and mistakes of the early city planners. I don't think we'll go to N.O. again without looking for places in the book.
Anita
If you start this series you will appreciate this entry eve more than a new reader; the evolving character of Faye Longchamp and fiancé Joe Woof Mantooth add another layer to the stories.
scherzo♫
Feb 12, 2012 scherzo♫ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The author says it herself: "... an infuriating and inexplicably illogical book with a serpentine plot that took to long to get where it was going."

Bloated, flabby writing.
Leslie Angel
May 16, 2014 Leslie Angel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
working my way through this author,like the setting--Florida coast, Louisiana--would like more archaeology. Enjoyable. Still not quite as good as the first one which was a Wow.
  • A Fugitive Truth (An Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
  • The Thai Amulet (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #7)
  • Wild Penance (A Wild Mystery, #4)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Paying the Piper (Elizabeth MacPherson, #4)
  • Slayer of Gods (Lord Meren, #6)
Mary Anna Evans has degrees in physics and engineering, but her heart is in the past. Her series character, Faye Longchamp, lives the exciting life of an archaeologist, and Mary Anna envies her a little. Wounded Earth, features environmentalist Larabeth McLeod in a duel to the death against a stalker who calls himself Babykiller. Her Faye Longchamp archaeological mysteries include Artifacts, Relic ...more
More about Mary Anna Evans...

Faye Longchamp (10 books)
  • Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4)
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • Plunder (Faye Longchamp, #7)
  • Rituals (Faye Longchamp, #8)
  • Isolation (Faye Longchamp, #9)
  • Burials (Faye Longchamp #10)