Start by marking “Write a Novel and Get It Published” as Want to Read:
Write a Novel and Get It Published

Write a Novel and Get It Published

Packed with guidance and insight, this book is for anyone considering writing a novel. It is full of exercises to get the reader writing and includes a range of quotations and tips from a host of established names.
Unknown Binding, 208 pages
Published April 21st 2010 by Not Avail (first published April 8th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Write a Novel and Get It Published, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write a Novel and Get It Published

Megan Olivier
This book was quite helpful. Not so much on the writing side, but with the information about presenting a manuscript, getting an agent, and publishing. The tips for writing were ones that I've heard many times before, and most things that you can learn through just reading e.g. when to use first person and when to use third. I actually ended up skipping most of the parts on writing and reading only the publishing sections. Rather than reading this book, I would recommend Stephen King's On Writin ...more
Catherine Shattuck
If you're having trouble creating a working structure around your (first) novel, this is a GREAT instructional manual. It really helped me think through plot problems and formulate a plan from what was really just a heap of stuff. I have a feeling it's going to be nearly falling apart by the time I finish writing my first book. Several great exercises go along with each chapter to help illustrate the points he makes, and get you un-stuck.

If you're looking for help with more creative things (styl
Petr Herold
May 13, 2012 Petr Herold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rozhodně skvělá kniha pro každého pisálka, jehož snem je napsat a vydat knihu. Ale není třeba se snažit knihu vydat, či dokonce celou knihu napsat. Obsahuje skvělé informace a rady, co se samotné tvorby příběhu týče a takové rady pomůžou i při psaní povídek, delších i kratších. Také skvěle funguje jako motivátor ke psaní. Stačil vždy přečíst kousek a už jsem měl chuť se vrhnout na psaní.
Helena
Mar 02, 2013 Helena rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book. As I was progressing through the pages, one by one my numerous questions were being answered and my writing confidence was getting a boost.
Dwayne Fry
Nov 05, 2013 Dwayne Fry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I wrote a number of stories and novels. I put the craft aside for several years, and have just recently returned to it. Back then I read maybe a dozen books on the craft of writing. I read this one just to grease the rusty gears in my mind.

I do find this to be a great book on writing with some excellent advice for new and rusty writers, but I have read better.

The advice comes at a quick pace, almost too quick. I read some passages two or three times to make sure I caught it a
Grace
Jan 29, 2016 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For somebody just getting started getting serious with writing, I found this book to be very insightful. I feel that whether you're a beginner or already into you're path as a writer but are just looking for a little extra guidance, this book is informative and written in a way that makes the information and tips being put across very clear and easy to understand. It covers everything that a new writer would want to be informed of including beginnings, plot, character, dialogue, setting scenes a ...more
Liz
Nov 23, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for beginner writers, as well as those who need a bit of a refresher or to fill in some blanks. It's not terribly long or overwhelming and is pretty straightforward, hitting on a lot of things that I remember learning as a kid in school. It contains examples of what the author is trying to convey, as well as references to other books (many of them classics) that make me want to read those, too (or re-read, in some cases). Provided are examples of exercises for beginners and the book ...more
Ally Atherton
Mar 01, 2014 Ally Atherton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have read a few fantastic and very helpful books over the years on the subject of writing but this is the first one that I feel the need to stick to my desk and have it in full sight whenever I am writing! It is a must read for anybody wanting to progress as a fiction writer and contains more than just the nuts and bolts of what you need to know.

All the chapters are easy to read and extremely helpful and encouraging. I particularly liked the chapters on Plotting and the Eight-Point Arc but eve
Scott Jordan
For a person who is experienced this book is going to be a simple tool to use. For the person who is just starting on the journey of writing a novel. I would call this a treasure. The writing is simple with good examples. The concepts are easy to understand and easy to apply to the project you are working on.

I got this on Amazon for under 1$ and felt it was a very worth while purchase.
Naomi
Dec 14, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book on writing that I read and I found this compact little book very instructive. It not only gave me decent, solid information that could help me plot and structure my novel, but it gave me both the motivation and belief that I could write said novel.

I still keep this for moments of despair when I need a pick-me-up and kick up the ass to get me enthused and writing again.

By far a comprehensive and inspiring starting point for any budding writer's reference shelf.
Kathryn
Mar 06, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read a more recent edition, but it wasn't on the list to choose. This is by far the best how-to book for an aspiring novelist. Watts is clear in his explanations, thorough in his coverage of material, and gives lots of suggestions and exercises to spark creativity. I found it in the library, but believe it should be the textbook, or at least required reading, for any creative writing course. I have read it twice, and each time it triggered new ideas and applications.
Megan
Nov 01, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a practical and down to earth guide about, well, the title. It provides excellent advice without using quick writing gimmicks that so many novel writing books seem to use. It shows the pros and cons of various publishing methods, and it gives great advice on story structure and organization. This was a really wonderful book.
Lynn Matheson
Feb 19, 2014 Lynn Matheson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I read this book after I wrote my first novel. I should have read it before hand. It is easy to read and the structure makes it good to dip into. The information is all useful and there are writing exercises to do if you fancy them. Highly recommended.
M.J. Mandoki
There are some good tips in the book. However, I found that most of it was obvious knowledge. I may be biased, though. I had already had a background and extensive knowledge of essay writing when I bought it. It could be helpful for total beginners.
Charles
May 19, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
This is a good primer and the best place to start when setting out to write a novel. Most of this information I have seen elsewhere, but I wish that I had found this book first to save me some time. It is good for beginners but probably holds very little for intermediate to advanced writers.
Mitta
Aug 16, 2015 Mitta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for beginner writers. it is easy to follow and teaches the basic concepts and guidelines to writing a novel. One to keep handy for references.
Yve-Anne
I read this in hours. It was easy to understand. It is really a book with exercises so that you can try out writing techniques etc. Useful little book.
Kristen
This is a good book about teaching you how to write a novel. It's a good reference book. I ought to get the 2006 revised edition when I can.
Tom Britz
Feb 09, 2013 Tom Britz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at the wisdom in this slim book. Some very good advice on all aspects of the writing process.
Creig Sigurdson
Nigel lays out all the aspect of a novel's structure. I will be re reading the one and adding it to my reference library.
Aaron
Mar 24, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely useful! Step by step layout and really good to use as a refrence book whilst writing your own novel
Diera Smith
Diera Smith rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Colton
Colton rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2010
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
Angelika
Angelika rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Andrew Peterson
Andrew Peterson rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2008
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
ErinLeigh
ErinLeigh rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
  • Wannabe A Writer?
  • How to Write and Sell Your First Novel
  • Your Writing Coach: From Concept to Character, from Pitch to Publication - Everything You Need to Know About Writing Novels, Non-fiction, New Media, Scripts and Short Stories
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Novelist's Essential Guide to Crafting Scenes
  • Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.
  • Writing with Power: Techniques for Mastering the Writing Process
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • Writer with a Day Job: Inspiration & Exercises to Help You Craft a Writing Life Alongside Your Career
  • The Writer's Idea Book