Start by marking “Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process” as Want to Read:
Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process

Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process

In this personal, inspiring guide to a creative life, Wooldridge shares her own journey of the heartâfrom loss and grief to a return to wholeness and joy. Offering poetry exercises, journal writing, and other practices to encourage creative playâincluding foraging and assembling collages with found objectsâFoolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Foolsgold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foolsgold

Andrea
First time read-September 2012- This is a five star book because it resonates with every fiber of my being. I am so fortunate to have found this book on the shelves of my local library. Foolsgold is a monumental book for me as a writer, a creator and a person. "The under-song lives in us at any age."p.163

"Although it won't make the news the under-song is brimming with an upwelling of soul and spirit just below the surface, tumbling out alive in our children and elders, hidden in everyone." p.1
Michael Wilson
Apr 03, 2011 Michael Wilson rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to reading this, since one of her other books, poemcrazy, is one of my all time favorites. I wanted to see what Wooldridge's take on creativity would be and if it could help me with the book I am working on.

It disappointed me and didn't deliver. The sub-title, "Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process" is somewhat deceiving. It spends plenty of time discussing her creative ideas, but not very much about her creative process. I also think this w
Yaaresse
When I finished A Book of One's Own: People and their Diaries, I wanted to read something diary-ish. I picked up The Red Leather Diary and was disappointed. THIS is the book I should have picked up first. The difference between the two is the difference between self-absorbed and self-supportive.

I realize most people read this as a creativity how-to book. That was the intent of the author, and it does contain the now-obligatory "tips and prompts" at the end of the very short chapters. Frankly, I
Billie
Jan 25, 2013 Billie rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book as much as I did Poemcrazy.
Esther
Dec 08, 2016 Esther rated it liked it
This book is great. But, I kept comparing it to Poemcrazy so that's the reason why I gave it 3 stars. It does have nuggets of wisdom and advice on creativity and poetry and writing. There are some dull and sad chapters in the book...so I had to skim through those.
al
Feb 02, 2008 al rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those interested in reading about how a woman remained creative during a time of loss.
Shelves: own
out of nearly 50 chapters meant to free the creative process, there were maybe a dozen i found useful or, at the very least, interesting to read. as many times as i've gone back to poemcrazy, wooldridge's other book, and found inspiration and suggestions i needed on dry or dreary days, i was sure foolsgold would be another essential member of my bookshelf. unfortunately, on the whole, it's left me very disappointed. this is not to say i won't read another of wooldridge's books or even that i wil ...more
LemontreeLime
It's nice, one of those books I bought when it came out and wanted to like... but then it sat on a shelf unread for eight years. I picked it up again and decided it's time to gift it to another reader. I wasn't the right audience, however i did like the chapter on making collage boxes, it was a short instruction and also an off the cuff retelling of a story, which i appreciated more than some huge long books of how-tos.
Relyn
Apr 19, 2012 Relyn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not sure I would recommend it to anyone
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted in a magazine
The idea behind this book is great, but in practice it's pretty repetitive and it drags a bit. Susan Wooldridge definitely knows how to string words into a beautiful necklace. I really enjoyed her poems and will definitely be looking for her poetry books. But, this book got a bit dull. It seemed an ode to her journal. Not for me unfortunately.
Martha
Dec 12, 2011 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book spoke to me. The words soared off the page.Inspiration and motivation were abundant. The author expertly explains the process of poetry , the practice of poetry and how it can make an impact on writers. I loved this second book by Ms Woolridge even more than the first...a must read for every poet or instructor of the craft.
Satia
May 08, 2008 Satia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: inspiration, memoir
Yet another mediocre response. I promise there is a positive review coming. I am not always so disappointed by what I read. For a more thorough review, follow the link below.

Drew
Sep 26, 2011 Drew rated it did not like it
Susan Wooldridge's first book, Poemcrazy, is my favorite book of creative inspiration. Foolsgold, however, is a big disappointment. It has none of the wonder and magic of her first book, and is instead repetitive and dull. I highly recommend PoemCrazy. I do not recommend Foolsgold.
Ginia
Sep 18, 2008 Ginia rated it it was amazing
This book made me think differently about my creativity and how I can share it better through art, or writing, or anything. Also read Poemcrazy if you want to see words in a whole new way.
Kathryn Dechairo
Sep 13, 2014 Kathryn Dechairo rated it really liked it
Nuggets of inspiration between the pages of this book but, like many other reviewers here, I found her other book Poemcrazy had more to offer.
Clarity Jackson
Sep 05, 2012 Clarity Jackson rated it it was amazing
This is a touching and inspiring and lively look at writing, loss and turning life into a beautiful fuel for words.
Shima
Shima rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Terry
Terry rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2012
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2009
Lynn Jacobs
Lynn Jacobs rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2009
Belén
Belén rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2007
Alyson Plante
Alyson Plante rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Wandamarie
Wandamarie rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2010
Pam Barone
Pam Barone rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Cara
Cara rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Rebecca Journey-Smith
Rebecca Journey-Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Heather Truett
Heather Truett rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2008
Elizabeth Thorpe
Elizabeth Thorpe rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Carey
Carey rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • Where Do You Get Your Ideas?: A Writer's Guide to Transforming Notions Into Narratives
  • Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives: A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit
  • No Excuses Art Journaling: Making Time for Creativity
  • Writing Motherhood: Tapping Into Your Creativity as a Mother and a Writer
  • A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You
  • Lovable Livable Home: How to Add Beauty, Get Organized, and Make Your House Work for You
  • Trespassers Will Be Baptized: The Unordained Memoir of a Preacher's Daughter
  • Where Women Create: Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women
  • The Prosperous Heart: Creating a Life of "Enough"
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces
  • The 3 A.M. Epiphany: Uncommon Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction