Start by marking “Luckys Lady” as Want to Read:
Luckys Lady

Luckys Lady (Doucet #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  4,278 ratings  ·  166 reviews
When Serena's beloved grandfather vanishes in the Louisiana swamps she feels compelled to give up her career to look for him.Her guide offers little protection but despite this she sets off into the watery maze which will change her life.
Paperback
Published January 1st 2003 by Orion (first published January 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Luckys Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luckys Lady

MelissaB
Want to meet a Cajun bad boy and have a little fun in the bayou? Lucky Douchet lives in the Louisiana swamp he loves as he tries to recover mentally from his time as a captive in a South American jungle. He was captured while on a military mission and spent a year in captivity. He spends his time painting beautiful pictures of his swamp and chasing off poachers. When he was younger, he wanted to be an ecologist but he quit college to join the military after a bad relationship with Serena's twin ...more
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Jul 18, 2011 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary Romance and Romantic Suspense Readers
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Enjoyed a few of Tami Hoag's Loveswept books
5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO BE LUCKY'S LADY?

"Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point"
“The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of."
~ French Proverb

I first read Lucky’s Lady in 1994, during my late teens, and have re-read it several times over the years. Writing this review has spurred me to re-read it, my last re-read being about 8 years ago. It was such fun revisiting this "classic favourite" of mine.

For me, Lucky’s Lady i
Mo
First time reading this author but will definitely be checking out more books by her. Very enjoyable read about an alpha ass!! What's not to like? Will try and do a longer review when the holidays are over.
Eastofoz
Jan 13, 2010 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers looking for a hot contemporary with an equal amount of steam and story
Finally a novel where the Louisiana bayou doesn’t get in the way and the author doesn’t use it as her soap box for environmental reform completely taking away from the real reason you’re reading the story: the romance! The bayou is creepy, eerie, scary and brimming with all sorts of hidden things. It’s so quiet and haunting blending perfectly with the hero Lucky Doucet. Lucky is one of those ex-military, a little bit off his rocker alphas. He’s all lip, whiplash fast retorts and in yer face with ...more
Shawna
5 stars – Romantic Suspense

A hotter-than-sin, tortured, ex-military alpha Cajun hero + a strong, likable heroine + eerie, sensual Louisiana bayou setting + family intrigue + nasty villains + a b*tchy, evil twin sister + explosive sexual tension + steamy romance + chilling suspense = an entertaining 5 star read!
Saly
Jul 17, 2011 Saly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saly by: MelissaB, Lady Jayne, MBR
OMG!That's all I have to say. This book was amazing and took me on a roller-coaster ride of emotions. I loved Lucky and Serena, and ached for them and rooted for them.

Lucky's name isn't really apt since he isn't really lucky and doesn't consider himself to be. He was all set to be the first in his family to go to college when one girl used him and he joined the army. The scars of that and the army(he was sold out by his superior into captivity) have not yet healed, so he drinks too much, is obno
Auntee
Feb 26, 2010 Auntee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporaries featuring sexy Cajun heroes
Recommended to Auntee by: Melissab and just about everyone else!
What I liked about this book? The relationship between the sexy-as-sin, dangerous Cajun bad boy Lucky Doucet who thought he had nothing left to give a woman and the upscale, oh-so-proper yet wildly passionate Serena Sheridan. Loved the love/hate thing they had going for a while, loved the passion they couldn't control, I even loved the struggle that Serena went through to get Lucky to open up and share more than just his physical self. Loved the loves scenes (very hot), loved the Cajun love word ...more
Kathrynn
Jul 25, 2010 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense Fans
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Melissa, Eastofoz
Loved it! The writing was exceptional. Excellent wordsmithing and I'm going to look for more books by this author. The romance in this romantic suspense was phenomenal. Serena Sheridan and Lucky Doucet made this book because the romance between them had me turning the pages--read it in one day. The entire book was set in Louisiana.

Lucky lived in the bayou and was a tortured hero. His strength and growth, tender moments, and how it all evolved rang my bells. Serena's character was kind and decen
Miss Kim
Jan 30, 2010 Miss Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Kim by: Kathrynn M.
4 1/2 stars

Ms. Hoag grabbed my attention immediately. I felt like I was in the steamy and dangerous bayou. It is dark and mysterious, and full of secrets.

Serena comes home to her family plantation for a usual visit to find her elderly grandfather has taken off to live in the swamp. Her twin sister, who temporarily lives there at the house, does not seem to care at all. Quickly you learn what a shallow and terrible person her twin Shelby is.

Serena, terrified of the swamp, leaves immediately to tr
Ana
As wild and mysterious as the Louisiana swamp he called home, Lucky Doucet was a dangerously attractive Cajun no woman could handle. His solitary life left no room for the likes of elegant Serena Sheridan, but Lucky couldn't deny her desperate need to find her missing grandfather. He would help her, but nothing more—yet once he felt the lure of the flaxen-haired beauty, an adventurer like Lucky couldn't help playing with fire.

Serena felt unnerved, aroused, and excited by the ruggedly sensual re
Maldivianbookreviewer
Likes:

1- Lucky Doucet, Lucky Doucet and Lucky Doucet! Can I say it one more time? Would it make it anymore obvious that the guy totally invaded and took control of my heart, body and soul whilst I was reading this book and then some? Sigh! I don’t think I can adequately describe the way he took absolute control of the story since he walked into the picture. From his sinfully good looks to the edge of his tortured soul, I loved every bit of him and then some more and couldn’t help but sigh and
Adrienne
Feb 22, 2010 Adrienne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adrienne by: friends reviews
Oh I just loved this story so much, everything about it was just so good the romance, the deception, the setting , the back story of both Lucky and Serena. Plus I adored the way Lucky whispered romantic Cajun phrases to Serena. If you love a tortured hero who thinks he's beyond help but who desperatly needs to love someone then this is the book for you. But be prepared to get emotional and have some Kleenex handy:)
Crista
This one was more of a 3.5 star for me.

There is a lot that I loved about this book, but a few things that I didn't.

Lucky Doucet....he is something that I loved about this book! Lucky believes that he has nothing left to give. He is a down on his luck character who has been burned by love in the past. Serena is a prim and proper lady who is, on the surface, Lucky's polar opposite. As you get to know Serena's character, you see the passion and depth of spirit that lies below her icy exterior. I l
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Romance with a touch of mystery. I enjoyed this. Not something I typically read but I will continue with the series.
Jane Stewart
2 stars. It’s ok if you don’t mind a downer feel to your romantic suspense. Personally I prefer uppers.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
My thoughts as I read this were: bad things happening to good people and what a mess. I wondered how it would work out, but it was not fun or exciting. Other romantic suspense novels pull me in more. This seemed like “ooh what a bad situation to walk into.” The hero is good at fighting bad guys, but instead of feeling good about it, I felt more like “ooh got out of that one.
Kara Jorges
Wow, has it been a long time since I’ve read a book like this. Though first published in 1992, it took me back to the 80’s, when I first discovered Harlequin romances. Back then, romances adhered to a pretty strict formula, and this book followed it to the letter. The heroine is an uptight, prissy young woman who avoids dirt and bad boys, until she meets the rough-edged hero and just can’t resist his allure. Oh, she tries, judging him at the outset and giving him the sharp edge of her tongue, al ...more
Carrie
I love this book. It may be melodramatic, but even on the second reading the book is as satisfying as good, southern comfort food. The intensity of Lucky and the determination of Serena still move me. Lucky is a prime example of the tortured hero. Hoag makes him believable and sympathetic, even when he's a jerk. Serena is determined and strong without being brassy or mean.
Candice
Shirley
For those who may have read Tami's later works before this one (like me) would be slightly disappointed. The book is a romance novel built around strong, vibrant and somewhat terrifying landscape. It is well written and nice to read. Very entertaining. Though written in an extensively detailed manner, it kind of seemed to me, to be more in the style of a Mills and Boon. The educated, delicate lady from the city returning to her roots as she feels 'something is drawing her hinting at the hole in ...more
Christine
This is an older romance from the early 90's, with the definite feel of romances from that time period, but overall I thought it still worked today. Lucky is an aggressive man, wounded, but he doesn't cross a line. Both he and Serena were fairly well realized characters and I found this to be an easy read.
Hyderali Shaikh
Felt like Deja Vu.

This is the first book of Tami Hoag but my luck I read it after her 2 books which is "Steel Water" & "Night Sins" in which both the lead female character is first reluctant to sleep with the hero but eventually can't resist her urge & get fucked up. Here we see the same character & same hero.

The only thing I read her books is because of the writing which I sometimes tweet on twitter. The way she writes makes me wanna keep it in my mind. Other than that, the plot is
Dana
Apr 16, 2015 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance, Mystery, Suspense
If you are new to Tami Hoag I'd recommend starting here if you are looking for romance and suspense. This book is very different from other books I've read from her and I wish she'd explore the romance side of writing again mixed with suspense because she killed it. The book is sexy and mysterious. Who needs Fifty Shades of Grey or the Crossfire series when you have Lucky? The chemistry between the main Characters is intense will have you smiling, laughing, and crying. Hoag's descriptive narrati ...more
Barbara ★
Tami Hoag does it again! I love me a tortured hero but Lucky Doucet almost takes it too far. Poor Lucky had everything going for him until Serena's evil twin sister destroyed his world setting him on a course for destruction. His downward spiral was at a dangerous low when Serena entered his life. Boy did I like Serena (and wanted to slap the living crap out of Shelby). She had grit, strength, courage, loyalty and honor - a perfect heroine. I absolutely loved the ending.
Christine
I had to DNF at 40%

I loved the writing, I loved the suspense, but I could not get over the fact that the hero and the heroine's twin sister had an intense relationship years before. Serena, the heroine has not clue that Lucky and her twin sister had a relationship. I know that some may not look at the hero as pining for the twin, but that one scene turned me off. (view spoiler)
Ren
Aug 22, 2011 Ren marked it as own-but-not-read-yet  ·  review of another edition
I won this from ladyjaynesreadingden.blogspot.com
Yeah, that's Lady Jayne's blog!! :D
Thank you so much Jayne, the book arrived today! XOXO
Valerie
good mystery with some romance added for spice
Stephanie Tyler
One of my top ten favorite romances!
Curlyhair
Enjoyed reading this
Pamela Turner
One of my FAVORITES!!!!!
Thompson615
I second Candace's review. I'm not a fan of romance novels, nor of books with uber macho males who think no means yes & women written as so pathetic that they are really wishing yes while they so no.
I like many of Tamil Hoag's books- especially the Kovac/Liska series, but I've got to say Lucky's Lady has to the worst book I've ever read. I kept waiting for a typical hoagesque plot to emerge, but there was no saving grace for this book.
I created ' books it wish I'd never read' as a category
  • Now You See Him...
  • Pursuit
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • Broken (Rafferty, #2)
  • Heart of Fire
  • Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3)
  • Always a Thief
  • Wild Orchids
  • The Cajun Cowboy (Cajun, #3)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag began her professional career writing for Bantam’s Loveswept line of romance novels. In 1988 her first novel, The Trouble With J.J. was published.

With fifteen consecutive New York Times bestsellers to her credit, Hoag has more than 35 million books in print, published in more than twenty languages worldwide. Her first thriller, Night Sins, was made i
More about Tami Hoag...

Doucet (4 books)
  • The Restless Heart (Doucet, #1)
  • Cry Wolf (Doucet #3)
  • A Thin Dark Line (Doucet #4)
Ashes to Ashes (Kovac/Liska, #1) Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2) Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1) Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake #2) Prior Bad Acts (Kovac/Liska, #3)