Start by marking “Harvests of Joy: How the Good Life Became Great Business” as Want to Read:
Harvests of Joy: How the Good Life Became Great Business

Harvests of Joy: How the Good Life Became Great Business

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In 1965, after a notorious family feud, Robert Mondavi-then fifty-two years old-was thrown out of his family's winery. Far from defeated, Mondavi was dedicated to a vision of creating a superior wine. What has happened since that fateful day is one of the greatest success stories of American business. Today, the Robert Mondavi Winery is one of the most respected in the wor ...more
Published October 7th 1999 by Mariner Books (first published September 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Harvests of Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvests of Joy

Melissa
Robert Mondavi was the most pivotal person in the rise of the California wine industry, and I was curious to hear the story of how he came to be. However, I was distracted more by his ego and inflated sense of himself. I think a book written by a third-party author would do better justice to his story.
Yves
The wine business is one where without passion you can rarely be a success, so the story of Mondavi is to track that passion and the way their Italian roots shaped the work ethic of the entire company.

The part when Mondavi purposely broke the mould of the current business to reach for higher qualitative ground is an important lesson. I have seen this many times. The courage to make changes and give up comfortable business in order to do something harder but ultimately better.
Donna
Oct 24, 2012 Donna rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: wine
Clearly Robert Mondavi can boast one of the greatest American success stories, however his gigantic ego and overuse of exclamation points made this book a real challenge to finish. This book gave some good insight into the California wine industry and background on some famous partnerships with Baron Philippe de Rothschild creating Opus One as well as teaming up with the Frescobaldis. The pages I enjoyed the most came in the last chapter where Bob shared his pearls of wisdom or as he referred to ...more
Jennifer Molleson
Im still in the middle and it's been months. I think it is very interesting to learn the history of the Mondavi Family. What disturbs me in reading is Robert's ego and his belittling of his brother. I think I'll hang onto it and maybe picj it up again at a later time.
Tanya
I learned how Robert Mondavi put the Napa Valley on the map in terms of being one of the best wine producing regions in the world. I also learned how relentless hard work led to great successes but also trade-offs when it came to family time and relationships.
Jim
Very good review of Robert Mondavi and his family. Discusses the many aspects of wine in the Napa Valley and his influence on the wine industry. Also explains his relationships with some of the age old families in France............
Carolyne Borel

Interesting life and good read for an insight on the Californian wine business, yet Mondavi keeps repeating once too many about how great his achievements were. Not really inspirational when it comes to being humble...
Daryn Nakhuda
Aug 08, 2008 Daryn Nakhuda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Robert Mondavi has a very interesting life story, and an amazing impact on the american (and global) wine industry. The lessons learned may be common sense, but the stories told are priceless.
Linda
I picked up this book while visting the Robert Mondavi Winery in Napa Valley this summer. This really is an interesting read about the evolution of American wine culture.
Erin
A must-read for any Napa Valley residents, or anyone in the wine biz. Sometimes the writing is a bit cheesy and clunky, but still, it's a very inspirational book. :)
Sara
A fascinating, easy read. He seems to take credit for the entire American wine revolution. I wonder what other Napa Valley wine-makers would say...
Becky
Interesting story, but tough to get through simply due to the writing style. I felt as if I was reading a 2nd-grade reading level book!
Christy Eichhols
Easy to read. This guy is so full of himself would steamroll his own mother (which he did) to get ahead!
Kay
Good story and informative. A bit repetitive and I therefore did not finish.
John Hardesty
Eye opening and very forthright story of Robert Mondavi's life
Carla Guglielmino
Interesting insight into the wine business in the Napa region.
Reagan Haas
Reagan Haas marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Hilliary
Hilliary is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2015
Alvaro
Alvaro marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Kirsten Pedersen
Kirsten Pedersen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Jørgen Wolf
Jørgen Wolf marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Suzanne Grant
Suzanne Grant marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Seasons of the Vineyard: A Year of Celebrations and Recipes from the Robert Mondavi Winery America's Rising Star Chefs: At the Robert Mondavi Great Chefs Cooking School in Napa Valley Harvests of Joy: How the Good Life Became Great Business Robert Mondavi Winery (Wine Photograpy) California Wine Country: Interior Design, Architecture, and Style